PDA

View Full Version : An Invalid Argument was encountered

Okiesmokie
21 Oct 2007, 19:27
Whenever I try to host a game on WormNET, I get a message saying, "An Invalid Argument was encountered." I have verified that "Force IP" is not checked (and I've tried to check it and put my IP in the box to no avail) and have searched the forums for another possible answer, which I can't seem to find.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so: How did you fix it?

CyberShadow
21 Oct 2007, 20:14
I've certainly never heard of such a problem.

1) Updated to 3.6.28.0?
2) Is that the exact error message?
3) When do you get the error - right after clicking "Host" or after you enter the game details (name/password)?
4) What does the game do after you dismiss the error message? Return to the game list, or exit altogether?
5) Does it happen if you try to host a Direct IP or LAN game?
6) Does it happen anywhere else?
7) Do you run firewall software?
8) Have you tried closing down all programs not necessary to play the game?

Okiesmokie
21 Oct 2007, 20:24
I've certainly never heard of such a problem.

1) Updated to 3.6.28.0?
2) Is that the exact error message?
3) When do you get the error - right after clicking "Host" or after you enter the game details (name/password)?
4) What does the game do after you dismiss the error message? Return to the game list, or exit altogether?
5) Does it happen if you try to host a Direct IP or LAN game?
6) Does it happen anywhere else?
7) Do you run firewall software?
8) Have you tried closing down all programs not necessary to play the game?

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) After I enter the game details, but before the game lobby screen appears (It doesn't appear)
4) Returns to exactly where it was before, in WormNET
5) No
6) No
7) No
8) Yes, the same thing happens

CyberShadow
21 Oct 2007, 20:44
Thanks. Please install WormKit (http://worms.thecybershadow.net/wormkit/) and the attached module. Run the game via WormKit.exe, and attempt to host a game. The game should crash; please compress and post the generated ERRORLOG.TXT.

Okiesmokie
21 Oct 2007, 21:21
Thanks. Please install WormKit (http://worms.thecybershadow.net/wormkit/) and the attached module. Run the game via WormKit.exe, and attempt to host a game. The game should crash; please compress and post the generated ERRORLOG.TXT.
Installed it, put the wkCrashOnMessageBox.dll in the WA base folder, and the game didn't crash when I got the error.

CyberShadow
21 Oct 2007, 22:52
Sorry, my bad - should have tested that myself.
Try this module instead.

Okiesmokie
22 Oct 2007, 05:24
That worked,

http://files.leetious.com/ERRORLOG.TXT

CyberShadow
22 Oct 2007, 12:04
OK, now we're getting somewhere.
Please try with this module (remove the previous ones).

Okiesmokie
22 Oct 2007, 12:38
OK, now we're getting somewhere.
Please try with this module (remove the previous ones).
It didn't crash with that module

CyberShadow
22 Oct 2007, 13:24
Thanks. Please try with this one.
I appreciate your patience - this is a new issue to us, hopefully we'll find and fix it soon :)

Okiesmokie
22 Oct 2007, 13:40
It crashes now, but doesn't generate an errorlog.txt

Thanks. Please try with this one.
I appreciate your patience - this is a new issue to us, hopefully we'll find and fix it soon :)
It's your patience that I appreciate :) Thank you for taking the time to help me (and possibly others with this issue) out

CyberShadow
22 Oct 2007, 14:37
Okay, thanks. Please check if this folder is present on your machine:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\
The exact path may vary depending on the drive you installed Windows and the language of your Windows version.
If this folder is not present, please follow the steps described in this Microsoft Knowledge Base article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188296) to enable Dr. Watson - then, cause W:A to crash again using the supplied module.

Once the folder is present, please attach the file user.dmp which should be present in the folder.
Let me know if you can't get a user.dmp file to be generated.

Okiesmokie
22 Oct 2007, 16:48
The folder was already present, and I don't see any user.dmp file.

Dr Watson seems to be set up correctly, but it doesn't seem to be handling the exceptions even after I drwtson32 -i. Is there a way Visual Studio can generate the required dmp file? (One was generated in the WA directory, called crash.dmp)

Edit: According to Visual Studio's debugger, it is not throwing an exception at all, it's exiting cleanly (Using the wkDisable3EHCatch_3.6.28.0.dll module)

Is it possible that instead of Disabling the exception handler (Which I assume that module is supposed to do) it's instead providing a default one which simply does nothing?

CyberShadow
22 Oct 2007, 20:55
CRASH.DMP is generated at the same time as ERRORLOG.TXT.
wkDisable3EHCatch_3.6.28.0.dll disables registering exception handlers, including the default one. This causes the default OS exception handler (the "program.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" box and the default debugger) to handle the exception.

If you run "drwtsn32" without parameters, is the "Create Crash Dump File" checkbox checked?

Okiesmokie
22 Oct 2007, 21:46
CRASH.DMP is generated at the same time as ERRORLOG.TXT.
wkDisable3EHCatch_3.6.28.0.dll disables registering exception handlers, including the default one. This causes the default OS exception handler (the "program.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" box and the default debugger) to handle the exception.

If you run "drwtsn32" without parameters, is the "Create Crash Dump File" checkbox checked?
Yes, everything in drwtsn32 seems fine. The default OS exception handler isn't kicking in, that's why I asked about the possibility of wkDisable3EHCatch inadvertently creating it's own exception handler

CyberShadow
23 Oct 2007, 01:20
So what exactly is happening, then? Do you get the W:A message box about the ERRORLOG.TXT - or does W:A just exit?

Okiesmokie
23 Oct 2007, 01:35
So what exactly is happening, then? Do you get the W:A message box about the ERRORLOG.TXT - or does W:A just exit?
It just exits

CyberShadow
23 Oct 2007, 17:58
OK, this module should be the ultimate solution for catching handled exceptions. (It uses XP's Vectored Exception Handling (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms681420.aspx).)
It should generate an EXC_xxxx.DMP file for every exception, handled or not.
Please attach all files it generates. Remove all previous modules first.

Okiesmokie
24 Oct 2007, 17:15
Here they are ^^

CyberShadow
24 Oct 2007, 19:10
Did you use any non-English letters or odd punctuation in your nickname?

Okiesmokie
24 Oct 2007, 22:19
Did you use any non-English letters or odd punctuation in your nickname?
Nope, my nickname is just "Okiesmokie"

CyberShadow
24 Oct 2007, 23:07
This is truely puzzling.

Are you able (and willing) to upload, say, a 50 MB full memory dump file?

Squirminator2k
24 Oct 2007, 23:42
I can give you FTP access to my personal web server to upload the file to if need be, Okie.

Okiesmokie
25 Oct 2007, 13:16
I can give you FTP access to my personal web server to upload the file to if need be, Okie.
That would be nice :) Thanks

CyberShadow
25 Oct 2007, 18:19
I just checked, and (unsurprisingly) minidumps compress very well. A 50MB minidump is under 10 MB when compressed. Each additional minidump (from the same session) takes up very little space, if you use solid archiving (7-zip or RAR). 7-zip, as usual, yields the best result. Here's an updated wkLogExceptions.dll - it will save a full minidump if you hold Shift while the exception is raised.