PDA

View Full Version : chuting on Vista

TITCO
19 Oct 2007, 22:21
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but does anyone have the same problem I have on Windows Vista. I can't use a parachute on the first turn I try it!!!. I just get a beep, next turn I can use one!!! well weird... :confused:

SgtFusion
20 Oct 2007, 01:39
I don't use Windows Vista, but I would ask you these things:
0)Did it happen on earlier versions of Windows with the same update (WA update, that is)?
1)What exactly happens?
2)Have you looked in the weapons scheme at the turn delay on the parachute?

Squirminator2k
20 Oct 2007, 08:13
Describe the actual circumstances under which you are trying to use the parachute. It sounds to me like you've either got the wrong weapon selected or... well, I can't think of anything else. I have a lot of difficulty believing that you'd be prevented from using a single weapon simply because of your OS.

Besides which, once you fall far enough the Parachute will automatically kick in anyway.

KRD
21 Oct 2007, 12:35
Have you looked in the weapons scheme at the turn delay on the parachute?

That sounds like it could be it. Good idea, sarge.

franpa
21 Oct 2007, 13:54
you wouldnt be able to select chute if delay was on.

TITCO
21 Oct 2007, 17:35
I upgraded to both windows vista and the latest WA patch (3.6.28.0 beta) at the same time. I'm a pretty hardened worms player (been playing for about 3-4 yrs), and it is happening on wormnet on a team17 scheme I have been using for a very long time. If I select my chute with F8 and then jump off something and press spc bar, I just get a beep some of the time (other times it works). The fact that I get a beep means that my spc key must be pressed, it's an odd one...

franpa
22 Oct 2007, 01:47
are you sure your not choosing Bunjee? most t17 schemes have bunjee in it and pressing F8 once will choose that and not the chute.

SgtFusion
22 Oct 2007, 04:51
Ah, yes. That's probably it. You're probably selecting bungee by only pressing F8 once. If you jump off a cliff and then try to fire the bungee like a "normal" weapon, it results in a beep and nothing happens.

TITCO
23 Oct 2007, 00:46
nope, i see parachute displayed at the top of the screen. No-one else have this problem?.It's driving me nuts.:confused:

Melon
23 Oct 2007, 10:32
Care to attach a replay of it happening? Maybe that could help us discover what's wrong.

TITCO
24 Oct 2007, 22:26
went and looked for my replays and there aint none!!!!. There isnt a User\Games folder. Strange. What's also strange is everytime I create a new team, it gets lost next time I start WA. Have tried making the WA folder non-read only in explorer, but this doesn't work. What is interesting is if I try and execute the following command in an cmd window, I get loads of access denied messages:

attrib *.* -r /s

This usually does the trick. Does anyone have any ideas?.

Vista is becoming a little bit of a pain!!!! :p

TITCO
24 Oct 2007, 22:29
still having the same problem with my chuting also, it works and then it don't... it so darn infuriating!!. I sometimes get a beep when I try it and sometimes I don't it just doesn't open. There is nothing usually wrong with my spacebar, it hasn't failed to work yet when outside of wa (typing text etc).

TITCO
24 Oct 2007, 22:30
is there any way to map <spc bar> to a diff key in wa?

TITCO
24 Oct 2007, 22:32
sorry to spam, but extra info: everytime I let myself fall the chute opens, its just when I want to open it by pressing <spc> that it's temperamental.

Squirminator2k
24 Oct 2007, 22:40
That might be a keyboard problem rather than anything else. Have you tried plugging a different keybaord into your computer?

I'd like to reitterate that this really doesn't sound like a Vista issue, seeing as pretty much everyoen else running WA in Vista hasn't run into this problem. Sounds more likely to be something else, hence the suggestion that you try a different keyboard.

Melon
24 Oct 2007, 22:56
went and looked for my replays and there aint none!!!!. There isnt a User\Games folder. Strange. What's also strange is everytime I create a new team, it gets lost next time I start WA. Have tried making the WA folder non-read only in explorer, but this doesn't work.

What? Why was it read only? These situations don't make any sense to me.

TITCO
24 Oct 2007, 23:00
Not sure. I installed WA (and the patch) in an administrator account, and I am running it in an administrator account. I played a few games on wormnet last night and have NO replay files whatsoever (or a Games folder). I cannot save team information at all. Completely flummoxed by this!.:confused:

TITCO
24 Oct 2007, 23:02
I will try and get hold of a diff keybd, but this is weird...:confused:

Squirminator2k
24 Oct 2007, 23:30
Is your account on the computer an Admin account?

And, erm.... where did you gety your copy of WA from, and are you using the latest BETA update?

TITCO
24 Oct 2007, 23:43
Yes, its an Admin account. My copy of WA is the sold out vers (original I might add) and yes Im running the latest beta. Just disabled UAC on my machine, and I could apply the attrib command to the WA dir. maybe something to do with I have UAC turned on?.

TITCO
25 Oct 2007, 00:01
Yup. That's what it was. I disabled UAC and it creates game replays and saves team information. Strange, the fact that I am running as Administrator should be enough you would think. On other games I play, I have no problem with storing saved gamesm with UAC enabled. I guess WA is old... doubt that's the reason for my chuting problems however ;)

Leaves me in a bit of a dilemma, as I would prefer to leave UAC enabled to stop my kids removing all my programs!!!.:o

Muzer
30 Oct 2007, 15:27
With UAC enabled, you must right click on wa and click "run as administrator" (even if you are logged in as one).

NoCtrl
2 Nov 2007, 21:34
From what i read it seems your problem is that you installed worms in the default directroy ( C:/program files/.... )
Vista seems to put all directorys in this folder in some secured status. you can't change anything there without being prompted by the uac (or disabeling it).
i'm currently running worms on a vista business system without giving the wa.exe administrator privileges just by installing it in a different location (c:/games/...), and it works fine.
still muzer is right, it might work if you just run it as administrator. if not try to install it in a different location.

TITCO
4 Nov 2007, 20:46
thanks guys, it works if i run it as administrator

SilPho
6 Nov 2007, 19:22
Did this solve the parachute issue as well?