PDA

View Full Version : New BG's.. Possible? [not terrain]

knkn
14 Oct 2007, 02:16
I'm talking about the direct background. The actual BG is effected by what terrain the map is using [bit/png], but wouldn't it be nice to actually select your own picture? And while at we're at that, howbout the leaves/stars falling with the wind? Like graves - could we edit those? Just wondering.

pieman280
14 Oct 2007, 03:03
I like the sound of this. i'd love to have a good back ground!:)

Bawb
14 Oct 2007, 03:13
The leaves turn into skulls & crossbones during Sudden Death so I can't think why that wouldn't be possible.

bonz
14 Oct 2007, 15:11
Etho has done something like this for WWP with gradient backgrounds and completely custom BG pictures, so yes, it's possible.

IIRC, this has already been suggested a few times and I'm sure Deadcode and CyberShadow are aware of it.
(If not, you can trust me that they soon will be.)

knkn
14 Oct 2007, 16:38
Etho has done something like this for WWP with gradient backgrounds and completely custom BG pictures, so yes, it's possible.

IIRC, this has already been suggested a few times and I'm sure Deadcode and CyberShadow are aware of it.
(If not, you can trust me that they soon will be.)

Ok thanks bonz. All I was looking for - would be nice for the next release.

Melon
14 Oct 2007, 21:26
I believe (but may be wrong) that all of the level graphics including the backgrounds are kept inside the big graphics file with all the sprites, so if you edit that, you could edt them too.

I think. Would you be able to create your own level themes this way?

Worminetor
15 Oct 2007, 16:45
I believe (but may be wrong) that all of the level graphics including the backgrounds are kept inside the big graphics file with all the sprites, so if you edit that, you could edt them too.

I think. Would you be able to create your own level themes this way?

Indeed. The background image is called "back" in *.dir file. But the point is that levels graphics are on CD in *:\Data\Custom and *:\Data\Level . So You could edit them (by WA Directory Editor (http://worms2d.info/WA_directory_editor)) and make CD image, or use CyberShadow's WormKit FileOverride... but I'm not sure how it is working.

knkn
16 Oct 2007, 02:21
Any idea on how to work the wa dir editor?

Melon
16 Oct 2007, 10:23
According to the discussion page on the wiki:

It's not a graphics editing program that lets you edit sprites - it lets you edit directory files, where these sprites, along with some other files, are stored. --Vladimir 14:14, 1 July 2007 (MST)

So I imagine that what you would do is create the graphics you want to overwrite using your favourite paint package, save it as the correct type, and then let this program point to that file instead.

I'm going to try it myself. I'll let you know exactly how it works when I get round to it.

Worminetor
16 Oct 2007, 11:36
Quick instruction of using WA Directory Editor.
1. Open the *.dir file You want to edit.
2. Highlight the sprite You want to change.
3. Press "Extract and convert".
4. Edit this file with any graphic editor (beware of colour barrier).
5. Press "Convert and add"
6. Now You must save files in that order *.spr.bmp *.spr.spd - *spr.file. Other one could not work.

Alien King made a nice tutorial for this program. Here is the link (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=20591&highlight=change+sprites).