PDA

View Full Version : Worms does not work on HP pc... need help please!

Worm-Freak
7 Oct 2007, 13:29
Hi,

I have tried almost everything I can think of:

Uninstalled, installed again, loaded ALL patched up until v3.6.28.0. I have updated ALL my drivers on the PC itself, with no success.

After countless hours of searching forums and read the articles on the net I have also tried /nointro, I have tried almost all switches possible, even one with Show... ? configuration to one of the files (can't remember post)...

Please can someone assist me to resolve this problem, worms used to work on my Win 2000 PC until I have upgraded and bought new PC.

I am running XP Pro SP 2 (with ALL updates from microsoft).

My PC is a HP DX2200 Microtower... attached my ERRORLOG.txt file.

Regards,
Worm-Freak

Melon
7 Oct 2007, 13:35
So what actually happens?

When you try to run it does it just exit back to desktop without an error or something?

Are the colours messed up?

etc?

Worm-Freak
7 Oct 2007, 14:32
Hi,

I can open the game just directly after I see the game starts loading "processor... cpu goes up".

Then it dies, gives me this error attached. I sometimes see a black screen then get this error, sometimes before the black screen directly gives me this error.

I don't know what else to say as I don't even get the intro screen, it just dies...

The error log should be able to give more indication as to what might be the cause?

I have DirectX 9c installed on machine...

Don't know what else to say?

What does seem to be different:

On v3.6.26 ... it gave me the windows normal debug dialog, when it crashed, on .28 version it only gives me a dialog stating: A error has occured find the log file 'ERRORLOG.txt' in the directory.

All drivers are up to date (as of earlier this morning), and I don't have any AGP cards running on the machine, only onboard graphics, which is:

ATI RADEON XPRESS Series Graphics v8.30_060908a1-0369C (WinXP)

Should be sufficient enough for worms as I can play other directx games which requires much more graphics processing...

robowurmz
7 Oct 2007, 16:32
Are you running on a "Limited" User Account on Windows? If so, you need to sign in as an Administrator.

CyberShadow
7 Oct 2007, 20:49
Please compress and attach the CRASH.DMP file, which should be in your W:A folder. (It contains extended information about the crash.)

Worm-Freak
7 Oct 2007, 21:02
Are you running on a "Limited" User Account on Windows? If so, you need to sign in as an Administrator.

Hi,

No I am running as the Administrator account.

I have attached the CRASH.dmp file.

Regards...

CyberShadow
7 Oct 2007, 23:41
Can you come to #worms on GameSurge (http://worms2d.info/Worms_on_GameSurge) and contact me?

Worm-Freak
8 Oct 2007, 00:07
Hi,

I am off to bed now, will join you later tonight. it's 1am here now and need to get some sleep as I work again in 6 hours...

Catch you there later...

CyberShadow
8 Oct 2007, 21:30
Sorry, I was in a debugging session with Deadcode hunting down another bug.

Please come again when you have the time.

CyberShadow
9 Oct 2007, 11:05
For reference: rednecks (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?p=614912) seems to be experiencing the same problem.

Worm-Freak
9 Oct 2007, 22:50
Cybershadow,

You are going to laugh your ass of at this... >>>

I Uninstalled ALL references to my display drivers given to me by HP. I reverted to the previous drivers (did rollback).

I then noticed windows detected an unknown device: (VGA) < yup windows now officially displays my screen card as missing ?

Ok > Now I tried running worms:

And guess what .... IT WORKED!

Windows "does not even know about my graphics card" as it is detected in windows as "Other" devices (not yet been initialized by drivers).

Thus the default windows driver does the trick for me:

NOTE: This ONLY works on the .7b version you gave me as per discussion last night. I have tried using the normal .0 beta release with no success only after I tried .7b did it work.

I then tried again to fix this issue and reinstalled ONLY the ATI graphics driver, then it bombed!

Thus my solution is: If you are running HP DO NOT update your graphics drivers ... let windows take care of it, and leave it well enough alone in the "Other" devices section ...

I know personally I hate those yellow questions, but for WA I can take the punch of living with it :)

Thank you VERY much for all your assitance. I will try to play and see how I go, and let you know if I do pickup any other issues ...

It seems that the ATI drivers only allows 16Bit color an up ... does not allow less than 16Bit modes ... (checked and verified).

franpa
9 Oct 2007, 22:54
you should keep the buggy version of the drivers so that the exact cause of the issue can be determined and probably have a fix put in place.

Worm-Freak
9 Oct 2007, 23:02
you should keep the buggy version of the drivers so that the exact cause of the issue can be determined and probably have a fix put in place.

Hi Franpa,

With my discussion I did found that WA runs on 8bit mode ... that's why I assumed the drives is not capable of handling this as it's minimum is set to 16bit (and it does not support anything lower).

CyberShadow
10 Oct 2007, 12:15
Well, I'm glad that the problem is finally solved, and thanks for your time in helping figuring out this problem. I'm sure the information will be helpful to other players with similar problems.

Some notes: W:A was crashing because it never checked whether it failed or succeeded initializing the graphics (and what the reason was). I have added failure-handling code, so instead of crashing the alpha build I gave Worm-Freak displayed an error that it failed to set the screen mode (for the front-end), which is 640x480x8 bits/pixel. From there, it didn't take long to find out that the ATI drivers didn't seem to support 8-bit video modes at all. Future versions of W:A will now display (hopefully) helpful error messages instead of just crashing if something goes wrong :)

CyberShadow
12 Oct 2007, 09:35
Menard666 posted this in this thread (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?p=615784#post615784):

For ATI Mobility Cards, go here:

http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool/

Do as they say, download the latest catalyst drivers, mod them, and install them. I have a Mobility 2600HD, and it would not work with older games until I stumbled upon this site. Everything works great now.

Worm-Freak
12 Oct 2007, 23:51
Hi Cybershadow,

I had a look at the site.

Firstly note I am not using a laptop and I don't seem to see the ATI card listed for available support.

Maybe this is because I have had 4 hours sleep the past week... let me check this out tomorrow morning first thing and let you know if this worked for me.

Thanks

Worm-Freak
13 Oct 2007, 00:19
Hi CyberShadow,

I tried installing the divers again (but this time as explained by the link you gave me).

What I found to be missing is that I see they support the mods for:

ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series <

I have the

ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series (not the M series).

After running the mod on my installation files and hoping my drivers will be updated I still had no luck in allowing this video card (on-board) to display Graphics lower than 16-Bit mode (only once the drivers are installed).

I did follow there instructions to the exact word :)

Please let me know if there is anything you might find regarding this?

CyberShadow
13 Oct 2007, 10:50
Since you got your problem solved (W:A is running and all is fine and dandy, no?), I posted the link more for reference for any future readers with a similar problem that might stumble on this thread in search for a solution.

Worm-Freak
13 Oct 2007, 20:54
CyberShadow

Worms is working only when I have no drivers installed and using the windows defaults.

The problem is in using the windows defaults I cannot view my desktop at 1280x1024, without having "lines" running through the screen.

However as I meantioned I can live with this since I can get worms working, however if you know of a patch or something I might be able to use to get the drivers working as well as worms, I will be over the moon with joy.

If you find anything that might assist me, please let me know.

Thanks

Worm-Freak
13 Oct 2007, 22:09
Hi All,

After many await I finally found the issue:

The problem actualy underlining was:

The HP drivers that I had downloaded from HP software update site seemed to be faulty.

I have search the net and after a couple of days now found that the problem was HP drivers itself.

Even though they supply the "same" drivers for product as ATI, I actually found the correct drivers on a Gamer site. Odd but I have loaded those drivers and halleluya! It works!!!

The link to the updated ATI drivers:

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/integrated-xp

For some odd reason the ATI drivers from HP clashed with worms, the ATI drivers I found on this site (link above), works 100% fine ... and all is in order now!

Thanks again so much!