PDA

View Full Version : The New Improved W:A - Is the computer good enough?

Plainplane
6 Oct 2007, 02:41
After seeing all of the improvements that have been brought to Worms Armageddon lately, I have decided that I do not want to wait for the W:A/WWP mega version (W:A v4). However, I am concerned that the computer that I have ran WWP on for 2 years (and still running WWP on - the only purpose of this machine is Worms) may not be good enough for the new version - specifically because of the new transparency feature and because WWP lags up when I do the sheep glitch.

Specifications:
Dell Optiplex GX1, 10 years old
Windows 98
9 GB HD
Intel Pentium 2 @ 350 MHz
128 MB RAM
4MB ATI Integrated Graphics Card

Do you recommend that I get a newer computer for Worms before I buy W:A?

Plainplane :)

robowurmz
6 Oct 2007, 10:41
You've got nothing to worry about. I can run it on my 14 year old Win95 Laptop.

Just set the resolution fairly low (640*480) and press the Insert key a few times to get a plain black background. Works fine, although, doesn't look so cool.

Plainplane
7 Oct 2007, 03:37
You've got nothing to worry about. I can run it on my 14 year old Win95 Laptop.

Just set the resolution fairly low (640*480) and press the Insert key a few times to get a plain black background. Works fine, although, doesn't look so cool.I don't want to put the settings lower than I have them right now in WWP. The resolution is at 800x600 and I have full background and water detail.

Also, I don't know how much space that color maps use. I like using the BlameThePixel Mega Map Pack.

franpa
7 Oct 2007, 04:37
massive maps take about 70MB of memory...

plaf
7 Oct 2007, 06:37
After seeing all of the improvements that have been brought to Worms Armageddon lately, I have decided that I do not want to wait for the W:A/WWP mega version (W:A v4). However, I am concerned that the computer that I have ran WWP on for 2 years (and still running WWP on - the only purpose of this machine is Worms) may not be good enough for the new version - specifically because of the new transparency feature and because WWP lags up when I do the sheep glitch.

Specifications:
Dell Optiplex GX1, 10 years old
Windows 98
9 GB HD
Intel Pentium 2 @ 350 MHz
128 MB RAM
4MB ATI Integrated Graphics Card

Do you recommend that I get a newer computer for Worms before I buy W:A?

i havent played wwp, but assuming it uses the same resources wa did originally, i dont think theres any big problem. the transparency feature has to be turned on manually so if it doesnt work right u can simply not use it (not that helpful anyway...)
big maps arent usually THAT big, a normal map uses about 2MB of memory so with bigger maps ur graphics card will have to borrow some ram but it shouldnt affect the gameplay. it would be a problem though if the map is too big to fit in the ram too, as it would have to borrow some hd and get too thrashy to play (i guess, never experienced that in worms)
anyway, when about to play a big map u get a warning with the needed memory so u can refuse to play it if its too much for ur pc (its not usual to come across huge maps though, or at least i havent seen that many)
i dont recall any change that increases cpu requirements... maybe 1.5x speed...
and if ur worried about saving hd, make sure u delete replays regularly as they can take some space when added up...

robowurmz
7 Oct 2007, 16:34
Hmm, the graphics deal...you could try it of course, if it works on WWP, it should by all accounts work with W:A.

Deadcode
8 Oct 2007, 05:53
W:A requires less CPU power than it originally used to due to optimizations I've applied. (As a corollary, it also requires less CPU power than WWP.) It may use more RAM than it used to, but the extra amount is still dwarfed by your 128 MB which should be plenty.

Some new features in W:A, like huge maps, 48 worms and 250 mines/oildrums, may or may not stress your system. They are optional.

Plainplane
19 Oct 2007, 01:10
The Optiplex GX1 had died on me last week.

I had just purchased a new computer. Here are the specs:

Dell Optiplex GX280
Windows XP Professional
40 GB Hard Drive
Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3.2 GHz
512 MB DDR2 RAM
64MB Integrated Intel 915 Graphics Adapter

How would this perform in W:A?

franpa
19 Oct 2007, 03:10
if you got some cheap video card, it would work perfectly fine in vista if you ever want vista ;) else it should work fine under winXP.

bonz
19 Oct 2007, 09:17
The Optiplex GX1 had died on me last week.

I had just purchased a new computer. Here are the specs:

Dell Optiplex GX280
Windows XP Professional
40 GB Hard Drive
Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3.2 GHz
512 MB DDR2 RAM
64MB Integrated Intel 915 Graphics Adapter

How would this perform in W:A?
Should work fine with WA and WinXP indeed.
Intel's Vista drivers for the integrated graphic chips are crap though.
I suggest getting a cheap, proper graphics card, probably a used one, in the range of a Geforce 4 or something.

Also, huge color maps can easily take up several hundred MiBs of RAM, so I suggest you get another 512MiB of RAM to run WinXP, WA with huge maps and probably some other applications simultaneously.

franpa
19 Oct 2007, 12:20
yep, i use 512mb with nothing running ;P but i got 1 gig of ram and will one day get 2 gig ddr3

SgtFusion
19 Oct 2007, 21:31
Whoa, you got a pretty old computer there, plainplane. The last time I used a computer even that old (okay, it was older) was when my dad had a computer with Windows '95 on it with 12GB of HD space.

Plainplane
19 Oct 2007, 23:54
Whoa, you got a pretty old computer there, plainplane. The last time I used a computer even that old (okay, it was older) was when my dad had a computer with Windows '95 on it with 12GB of HD space.Have you noticed my new computer's specs in post 8? They are much better. I just found a spare 1 GB stick of RAM in my closet, so I will use it in this computer.

By the way - I have just purchased Worms Armageddon from the Team17 store. I hope to see you guys on WormNet 1 soon. ;)

SgtFusion
20 Oct 2007, 01:35
yeah, I only read the first post properly...silly me.

franpa
20 Oct 2007, 03:56
Have you noticed my new computer's specs in post 8? They are much better. I just found a spare 1 GB stick of RAM in my closet, so I will use it in this computer.

By the way - I have just purchased Worms Armageddon from the Team17 store. I hope to see you guys on WormNet 1 soon. ;)

you should run memtest86 to ensure you don't have any problems related to memory ;) it would help serve you in the future in case you encounter weird errors in random programs.

Plainplane
20 Oct 2007, 04:48
you should run memtest86 to ensure you don't have any problems related to memory ;) it would help serve you in the future in case you encounter weird errors in random programs.I will consider.

It will time for the computer to get here - hopefully the computer and the CD arrive around the same time.

bonz
20 Oct 2007, 19:30
hopefully the computer and the CD arrive around the same time.
Well, it would definitely be useful if the computer arrived first. :)

Plainplane
20 Oct 2007, 20:11
Well, it would definitely be useful if the computer arrived first. :)To my understanding, the computer will arrive Wednesday.

How long does it usually take for games from Team17 to reach Florida? (I bought my WWP on eBay.)

To give the game its maximum functionally after I install it, I just need to download the v3.6.28.0 update from the W:A site and it takes care of the rest, right?

franpa
21 Oct 2007, 03:36
yep, its the only update/patch needed.

bonz
21 Oct 2007, 16:11
How long does it usually take for games from Team17 to reach Florida?
According to the T17 store shipping info it's up to 28 days.
I suppose it's much less though.
To give the game its maximum functionally after I install it, I just need to download the v3.6.28.0 update from the W:A site and it takes care of the rest, right?
Yes.
You might want to have a working internet connection at the time of updating, as the 3.6.28.0 installer could be trying to download stuff (v3.0 patch if you don't have it).
Although, IIRC, the T17 store sells the Sold-Out version of WA, which already comes pre-patched to v3.0.

Plainplane
21 Oct 2007, 16:51
According to the T17 store shipping info it's up to 28 days.
I suppose it's much less though.

Yes.
You might want to have a working internet connection at the time of updating, as the 3.6.28.0 installer could be trying to download stuff (v3.0 patch if you don't have it).
Although, IIRC, the T17 store sells the Sold-Out version of WA, which already comes pre-patched to v3.0.28 days!:eek:

I'll make sure my internet connection is working during installation.

franpa
22 Oct 2007, 02:11
wee, ive seen large maps take up atleast 370mb of ram ;) so my assumption of 70mb was pretty damn wrong.

Plainplane
25 Oct 2007, 02:53
wee, ive seen large maps take up atleast 370mb of ram ;) so my assumption of 70mb was pretty damn wrong.It is a good thing that I have a 1 GB stick laying around then.

By the way - the computer has just arrived. :D

Squirminator2k
25 Oct 2007, 03:06
Y'know Plainplane, you could stick your "Plainplane :)" sign-off in your sig. Then you wouldn't need to type it out every time.

Plainplane
31 Oct 2007, 21:14
Y'know Plainplane, you could stick your "Plainplane :)" sign-off in your sig. Then you wouldn't need to type it out every time.I just like doing it that way.

By the way, Worms Armageddon has just arrived. See you guys on WormNet Friday afternoon. :D