PDA

View Full Version : Cheats!

Sercat
3 Oct 2007, 12:19
Go to the <game folder>\data\missions. There are mission files here. Open them with any text redactor and edit them. Enjoy!

yakuza
3 Oct 2007, 12:51
I don't think I've got that folder, but then again, my copy of WA is legit.

pisto
3 Oct 2007, 13:04
well known. btw the folder is in the cd.

yakuza
3 Oct 2007, 13:11
well known. btw the folder is in the cd.

True that, and as far as I'm concerned it also comes with some of the ilegal copies of WA downloaded from the internet.

bonz
3 Oct 2007, 17:14
Go to the <game folder>\data\missions. There are mission files here. Open them with any text redactor and edit them. Enjoy!
Only with a cracked copy of the game one can open those file "with any text redactor and edit them".
You sir are a pirate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLsJyfN0ICU)!

Squirminator2k
3 Oct 2007, 17:32
I propose that next year for Talk Like a Pirate day, we all start threads about obtaining and editing cracked copies of WA.

Actually, that was a joke.

CyberShadow
3 Oct 2007, 22:34
I propose that next year for Talk Like a Pirate day, we all start threads about obtaining and editing cracked copies of WA.
Heh, then the mods can have a "who bans the most pirates today" day :)

MtlAngelus
4 Oct 2007, 13:06
Only with a cracked copy of the game one can open those file "with any text redactor and edit them".

***T .:cool:

bonz
4 Oct 2007, 14:28
***T .:cool:
Fear the worm with the portable 500W ruby laser.

Bawb
7 Oct 2007, 01:03
Fear the worm with the portable 500W ruby laser.

That puny thing? Eat my 1200GW emerald laser.

http://www.world-of-smilies.com/html/images/smilies/gewalt/ultima.gif

bonz
8 Oct 2007, 23:02
That puny thing? Eat my 1200GW emerald laser.
Hmm...
Seems I need an update...
Deadcode to the rescue.

punk2
11 Oct 2007, 07:11

Thats idiotic. It's not piracy to rip images and run them from your harddrive -it's smart. It's a great way to conserve power on laptops, and it's much faster. I own a copy of the game, but I run an image off my harddisk. I could also edit that image if I wanted to, and legally, to boot.

Again, assuming he's a pirate is idiotic. Who pirates a 10 dollar game?

Squirminator2k
11 Oct 2007, 07:18
You're assuming, of course, that this is exactly what he's done. In Serkat's defense, he's not actually stated whether he's ripped a CD image or if he's using a cracked pirate copy. However there are plenty of people who have pirated WA in the past, and it'd be foolish to think people won't continue to do so.

franpa
11 Oct 2007, 07:30
not to mention there are perfect 1:1 images out on the net... so proving he bought it is too hard.

CyberShadow
11 Oct 2007, 09:07
Thats idiotic. It's not piracy to rip images and run them from your harddrive -it's smart. It's a great way to conserve power on laptops, and it's much faster. I own a copy of the game, but I run an image off my harddisk. I could also edit that image if I wanted to, and legally, to boot.

Again, assuming he's a pirate is idiotic. Who pirates a 10 dollar game?

You'd be surprised. Entire countries still have no idea what "legal software" means. You think $10 isn't much? What about a 3rd-world country's citizen's perspective, where that can be more than the minimum salary and about 1/10th of the regular one? I know it's surprising they have computers and Internet. The country where I'm from used to be in that situation around 2000 and before that.

Also, if he had used an image, I believe he would have stated so. There are cracked distributions of the game that run without any CD - image or not. In that case, yes, it is as easy as opening them in a text "redaktor" (Russian word for "editor") and editing them.

Edit: note that I'm not promoting piracy. Not being able to afford something, including software, isn't an excuse for stealing.

bonz
11 Oct 2007, 13:51
A mounted CD image is a virtual equivalent of CD, so editing those mission files would still not work with just a text editor.

And yes, if you can create a 1:1 CD image of a legally owned CD and don't manipulate any copy protections you're fine.

CyberShadow
11 Oct 2007, 16:09
Technically speaking, it's still not allowed by the EULA - it's just that Team17 doesn't have anything against that. If this were explicitely legally allowed, it would be too easy to "lend" the CD to a friend while keeping your image, who in turn could do the same...

Plasma
11 Oct 2007, 17:25
Who pirates a 10 dollar game?
Hmm... let me think... do people prefer to get a game for $10, or do they prefer to get the same game for free.....

bonz
11 Oct 2007, 17:36
If this were explicitely legally allowed, it would be too easy to "lend" the CD to a friend while keeping your image, who in turn could do the same...
Yes, because the moment you give the original CD to a friend, you would have to delete all backups, which are legal to create, as long as you don't need to crack a copy protection.
Once your friend returns the game, he needs to delete his backups.

If both parties do it like that it'll be perfectly legal.
That's the case for Austria and Germany at least.

Muzer
11 Oct 2007, 17:45
Actually bonz, you can open those files with any text editor. Just you can't save them since they're on a CD.

You can with the sold-Out version, at least.

SilPho
11 Oct 2007, 19:57
Alternatively WormKit's file override module allows you to do it without fiddling with images or running in to grey legal areas.

CyberShadow
12 Oct 2007, 09:31
AFAIK you're not allowed to use those backups as long as the original is intact, or something :)

Eyedunno
12 Oct 2007, 10:58
I'd just like to say that not everybody with a cracked copy is a pirate. I cracked mine just to make my life easier (and so I can put my CD away for safekeeping, though I suspect I'll still need it for online).

bonz
12 Oct 2007, 13:55
I'd just like to say that not everybody with a cracked copy is a pirate. I cracked mine just to make my life easier (and so I can put my CD away for safekeeping, though I suspect I'll still need it for online).
Well, you might not be a (software) pirate in the general sense, but it's still illegal in many countries (definitely in Austria and Germany, probably in more) to circumvent copy protections by manipulating the code, which is done by using a crack or a cracked .exe.

When using a 1:1 CD image (e.g. made by Clone CD) and/or using a image mounting tool which supports emulating older copy protections (e.g. Daemon Tools) you can neatly and legally play without a CD, provided you are the current owner of a license (i.e. are in the posession of a original copy of the game).

punk2
13 Oct 2007, 00:37
A mounted CD image is a virtual equivalent of CD, so editing those mission files would still not work with just a text editor.

And yes, if you can create a 1:1 CD image of a legally owned CD and don't manipulate any copy protections you're fine.

If I had the time, and I cared, I would show you that all I need is a tool that I use for RIPPING the ISO's to mount, called UltraISO, and I can easily edit the game's data without doing any actual piracy. It's my data and I can do what I want with it, ect. Recompile the ISO, viola. However, I don't see why I'd want to, but still. he's not a pirate just for mentioning opening CD files.

Squirminator2k
13 Oct 2007, 00:43
It's my data and I can do what I want with it, ect. Recompile the ISO, viola. However, I don't see why I'd want to, but still. he's not a pirate just for mentioning opening CD files.

Actually this is precisely the sort of thign which is expressly forbidden by the EULA.

bonz
13 Oct 2007, 18:24
If I had the time, and I cared, I would show you that all I need is a tool that I use for RIPPING the ISO's to mount, called UltraISO, and I can easily edit the game's data without doing any actual piracy. It's my data and I can do what I want with it, ect. Recompile the ISO, viola. However, I don't see why I'd want to, but still. he's not a pirate just for mentioning opening CD files.
Don't bother and save your time. I already know all that.

Sercat was speaking about editing those files with a text editor though, which is not possible with both an original CD or a disk image from that.
You'd either need to re-burn an edited CD or edit the image. In both cases you need more than text editor, namely burning software and disk image tools respectively.
Do you notice how he mentions the game folder containing the mission files?
That's not the case if you use a CD or a CD image. Only cracked no-CD copies are like that.

Quite an indication that Sercat is using pirated software.
Also that he mentioned in another thread that he bought 7 Worms games on 1 DVD for only $8.
:rolleyes:

MtlAngelus
13 Oct 2007, 18:54
Also that he mentioned in another thread that he bought 7 Worms games on 1 DVD for only $8.
:rolleyes:

I'm pretty certain that was in this thread, but the posts appear to have been removed. :confused:

bonz
13 Oct 2007, 19:52
I'm pretty certain that was in this thread, but the posts appear to have been removed. :confused:
Could be.
After all, I reported the post.

chedda
14 Nov 2007, 08:52
Actually I have the trymedia version and it has mission files and I bought it legally

Plainplane
15 Nov 2007, 00:59
Actually I have the trymedia version and it has mission files and I bought it legallyReturn it and get the CD, or you will be shunned on WormNet forever.

Plainplane :)

bonz
15 Nov 2007, 14:10
Actually I have the trymedia version and it has mission files and I bought it legally

Return it and get the CD, or you will be shunned on WormNet forever.

Plainplane :)
http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33495

MtlAngelus
15 Nov 2007, 19:47
That's actually slightly worse, owning a Trymedia version. SHAAAAAMEEE! :eek: :p

pieman280
15 Nov 2007, 21:56
That's actually slightly worse, owning a Trymedia version. SHAAAAAMEEE! :eek: :p

it's not That bad...... is it?

MtlAngelus
15 Nov 2007, 22:08
it's not That bad...... is it?
It's the cheapest one way ticket to Worm Hell.

Bawb
19 Nov 2007, 16:47
It's the cheapest one way ticket to Worm Hell.

Oh god, I can imagine being surrounded by other Worms prodding you constantly. :eek: