PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone working on a random map generator for WFW or CTF?

ngg
30 Sep 2007, 21:06
Hello,

As I lay awake last night, I found myself wondering if anyone's programming a random map generator for Walk For Weapons or Capture The Flag. I know, we've all been there before.

For all I know, someone's already working on it. Otherwise, maybe someone who enjoys either of those game modes would wanna try that someday. I've got no programming knowledge, myself:)

I assume the WFW one would use some kinda grid system to randomly decide: 'oh, here's a diagonal girder, connected to a horizontal one, connected to a shotgun box, which immediately spikes upwards with a vertical girder' etc.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone's thought of doing that/is doing that.

Muzer
30 Sep 2007, 21:36
Well, there's MapGEN, but I don't think it's still being worked on. www.worms2d.info/MapGEN

bonz
30 Sep 2007, 21:39
The only serious attempt on a random map generator for non-standard maps was made by Plutonic (http://forum.team17.co.uk/member.php?u=53).
That one isn't able to generate WFW or CTF maps though.

Generating WFW could be quite tricky, as it isn't alone the layout that makes a map good and strategically challenging, but also the proper placement of the weapon boxes in conjunction with a certain layout. Doing that randomly would require some well thought out rules beforehand.

I think CTF would be a lot easier to do if you simply mirror the map in the middle.
But don't expect to get a good looking map with a random generator.