PDA

View Full Version : Should I get this game?

Crazy
29 Sep 2007, 19:54
Hello. I'm a general Worms fan and I used to play online, and I'm thinking of getting this game. I heard people are still online on this game is this true? Cause I generally prefer the 2D Worms to the 3D kind. Looking forward to your replies :D

-CrAzY

SgtFusion
29 Sep 2007, 20:03
Yes! You should definitely get this game. This game is pretty much the best Worms Game of the 2D series, what with all the features the Beta Updates add. Let me give you a hint: Don't buy the Trymedia version. Buy the game in CD form from ebay, or from whatever other sites the other members on this forum may be able to suggest. Then download the latest beta update (ftp://ftp.team17.com/pub/t17/patches/pc/WA_update-3.6.28.0_Beta_Installer.exe) and install it.

EDIT: And yes, there are still people who play it online.

Crazy
29 Sep 2007, 20:09
Don't panic, I've luckily had enough points on my GAME Reward Card, and have purchased Worms 2 And Worms Armageddon for free! :D

SgtFusion
29 Sep 2007, 20:11
Okay then, install it and then download and install the Beta Update from the link I gave you above.

Crazy
29 Sep 2007, 20:23
Now the bad news, it's online and it's the weekend so it'll take time to get :P. But I look forward to playing!

Now to practice by playing my old worn copy of Worms 2 ;P

bonz
29 Sep 2007, 21:41
!!!Warning!!!

Do NOT buy any downloadable versions of the games from companies like Gametap or Trymedia! :eek:

Those versions are NOT compatible with the game beta updates and you won't be able to play online, as noone is using those outdated versions or does want to emulate old versions.
You will be shunned like a leper.

Also, those downloadable versions are way overprized and you can get 2-3 Worms games on CD including shipping for that money.
Check out the multipacks in the T17 store (https://secure.team17.com/browse.html?area=selection&productid=24&platform=PC/MAC).

franpa
29 Sep 2007, 23:56
Those versions are NOT compatible with the game and you won't be able to play online

but they are compatible... and yes, wormnet works with them too. its just that like you said, no one wants to emulate a vastly older version of the game.

bonz
30 Sep 2007, 00:02
but they are compatible... and yes, wormnet works with them too. its just that like you said, no one wants to emulate a vastly older version of the game.
Oops!
I meant to say "not compatible with the beta updates".

And since virtually everyone use them, you'll only be able to play with other downloadable-game-users and some pirates.

franpa
30 Sep 2007, 00:13
lol, ok that makes more sense.

Muzer
30 Sep 2007, 09:03
He said he'd already ordered a CD copy from game :rolleyes:

bonz
30 Sep 2007, 09:30
Don't panic, I've luckily had enough points on my GAME Reward Card, and have purchased Worms 2 And Worms Armageddon for free! :D
He said he'd already ordered a CD copy from game :rolleyes:
Nah, he didn't specifically say anything about his copy being a CD version.
And when I read "GAME Reward Card", I feared that it might be some dodgy game download thingy.

Wormetti
30 Sep 2007, 09:35
He said it will take time to get it because it's the weekend. I take that to mean it is being shipped and not his internet is slow on weekends.

Would the beta coding team of two, be allowed to add support for the downloadable versions? Perhaps it's not in Team17's best interest.

franpa
30 Sep 2007, 11:18
its not there responsibility nor do they have permission from the companies managing the downloadable version.

bonz
30 Sep 2007, 11:56
Would the beta coding team of two, be allowed to add support for the downloadable versions?
its not there responsibility nor do they have permission from the compainies managing the downloadable version.
Nor do they have the knowledge.
Trygames for instance uses the "ActiveMARK Distribution Service (http://www.trymedia.com/services/distribution_download_services.shtml)", which uses encryption.
Every release is encrypted and patches are generally implemented in an updated pre-patched version.

Although, there has been a Trymedia version of the 3.0.5.0 beta update as a standalone patch before they have changed to a pre-patched version.
I've uploaded it here (http://www.mediafire.com/?2nlnovrnvng). Maybe DC or CS can have a look at it and see if that patch installer is encrypted as well, or if they can modify it to install the recent betas.

Crazy
30 Sep 2007, 13:33
Hello! Sorry for not replying to the confusion.

Don't panic, it's a CD, most liekly to arrive next week. Can't wait to play! :D

CyberShadow
30 Sep 2007, 17:55
Maybe DC or CS can have a look at it and see if that patch installer is encrypted as well, or if they can modify it to install the recent betas. That will be most likely against their EULA, which would prohibit legal distribution of such a modified installer.

MtlAngelus
1 Oct 2007, 07:55
I don't get why Trymedia don't just update their game and make it downloadable in the current version, and whenever a new version comes around they update it again and people who have purchased the game can re-download it...
If that's too much effort, then they could at least do it when version 4.0 comes out...
Or can't they?

Is there any official word on what their stance about this issue is?

Wormetti
1 Oct 2007, 08:40
I'm sure if you asked permission, they wouldn't complain about making a compatible patch. They aren't going to crack the executables themselves, so you'd have to supply them with a version that doesn't require the CD and let them make it compatible with their DRM. I don't know if they'd be willing to do that but they aren't going to do it on their own, they need help. Of course at the current price, it makes no sense to get the TryMedia version over a CD version. It would be nice if a cheaper downloadable version was released by Team17 that is compatible with the patches.

bonz
1 Oct 2007, 08:50
If that's too much effort, then they could at least do it when version 4.0 comes out...
Or can't they?

Is there any official word on what their stance about this issue is?
I posted this quote (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?p=411322#post411322) from some Trygames guy who said on their forum that they'll need an official patch release from T17.
Whatever that means, because the betas are officially released via the T17 website.

Strange though, as the current version 3.0.5.0 they are using is a beta too, which they even released as an update.
I guess they just did that to make WA WinXP compatible and now don't give f*ck anymore.
Seeing as current betas are much more stable, I think there really should be done something.

I spoke to CyberShadow recently and he argued that a newer beta would make cracking the Trygames version much easier.
I don't get that argument, because (1) Trygames obviously are being cracked now, (2) it is their business if they can't keep their game releases secure.
It wouldn't matter which version someone cracks, if they don't increase security.

Punishing customers with outdated, incompatible & overpriced versions isn't nice.
Even if buying the CD version is cheaper, some people probably don't like that.
And with a look at Valve's Steam, online distribution obviously is the way to go in the future.