PDA

View Full Version : The "Favourite Special Weapon" Thread

Paul.Power
10 Sep 2007, 21:48
I will concede that this thread has been done many a time and that it looks a little newbish, but still, I'm trying to create a bit of conversation regarding your favourite team weapon.

Mad Cows all the way for me. I'll admit that I'm not a very skilled player, and that I base my game around "never attempt a good shot if an easy one will do". For me, Mad Cows offer the best damage-to-effort ratio, and with a group of Worms and a good long run up can cause devastating results. They can also be used as bunker busters against hiding Worms. They can be a bit hit and miss sometimes, and sometimes there isn't a good situation to use them, but when well-executed they can be a game turner.

Well, that's my view, but I'm sure you guys have your own about the other weapons. So, which is your fave, and why?

Alien King
10 Sep 2007, 21:52
Mad Cows are a good one largely for the reason you mentioned.

The Homing Pigeon has always been well used by me. I do like the simplicity and stupidity of it. Although the same shot can be pulled off with something else.

The Super Sheep I have found to be very handy in getting that one target on the other side of the map when nothing else will get him. Although I suck at flying it. This is probably what I have as my Special most of the time.

The flamethrower. It's largely crap, but damn does it look cool. I can think of few situations when a flamethrower would be the best choice. In fact, I can only really think of one.

Paul.Power
10 Sep 2007, 21:59
To be fair to the Flamethrower, it can take off 130-odd health in the right conditions. I had it as a Special Weapon back when I used to play WWP.

Alien King
10 Sep 2007, 22:03
To be fair to the Flamethrower, it can take off 130-odd health in the right conditions. I had it as a Special Weapon back when I used to play WWP.

It can take 130-odd health from a single worm. It's a bugger to get 60-70 health off two or more worms. A feat much more easily achieved with the Super Sheep, Homing Pigeon and especially the Mad Cow.

There are times when the flame will provide the means to pull off a shot that could turn the tables, but that would be a rare event.
But damn is the flame thrower nice to watch.

Plasma
10 Sep 2007, 22:10
Super Sheep for me! It's very good for reaching far away worms or worms hidden in tough spots to reach. I'm pretty good at it, because of the countless hours spent playing Micro Machines when I was growing up!

I never found the mad cows all that useful, because they're too tricky to use properly.

MrBunsy
10 Sep 2007, 22:25
My favourite always used to be the HHG, simply because I loved the sound, and at the end of a match it could kill a worm with one well placed plop, or knock a few into the water.

Recently I've grown more fond of the mad cows, because you get two of them, and they're both pretty powerful.

I've never much liked the super sheep because I always crash it.

KRD
11 Sep 2007, 00:45
When playing Elite, I switch between the precise Super Sheep [everyone else seems to be using it for Elite nowadays, so by the end of the round they're hiding in a Darkside spot where you can only reach them with a well flown SS] and, although not very often lately, Homing Pigeons. Usable over short and long distances, pretty precise if you know how to handle them and hilarious if you don't. Not to mention you get two.

In Intermediate, unless I forget to switch from the SS [and that happens a lot if you only play a couple games a week], I usually go with either Pigeons or Mad Cows. Both do good damage to groups of worms and make decent enough holes to let you drown the enemy when the opportunity presents itself. Two extra Dynamites in the worst case.

Even better in that regard is perhaps the Holy Hand Grenade, but I never thought it was accurate enough unless dropped into a pit. And anyway, the chances of your opponent letting you pile a bunch of his worms aren't too high; too risky for my liking.

Squirminator2k
11 Sep 2007, 00:46
With me, I'm torn between the Holy Hand Grenade and the Super Sheep. On one hand, I'm really good at steering the sheep, but on the other hand my grenade-throwing skills have greatly improved this past year or so.

SomePerson
11 Sep 2007, 03:45
I've always used the Holy Hand Grenade. It was just the first one I ever set, and I've never switched away, for some reason. I've never really sat down and thought about which I should use.:-/

I'm decent with the super sheep, but not particularly great. I can go forever in the super sheep challenge thing though. Or at least I could - I haven't played in a while so I'm sure I'm horrid now. Honestly I haven't used the Mad Cow much, so I'm not that used to it.:p

Diablo vt
11 Sep 2007, 07:32
The HHG is the weapon I desire, although at the moment i'm using the Mad Cows. What Plasma said, they are tricky indeed. So I'll use the HHG again. It's a fantastic weapon to use especially at Sudden Death when there's a nice pile of Worms nearby. The sound is truly splendid too.

SgtFusion
13 Sep 2007, 04:11
For me, it would be a tie between 3 different weapons: The Holy Hand Grenade (because of the big explosion, which does huge damage and hurls worms high and far, and the "Hallelujah" before it goes off), the Super Sheep (because it has a fairly large explosion, and can be guided), and the Homing Pigeon (because it has a fairly large explosion, and actually moves around obstacles to get to its target).

MrBionic
13 Sep 2007, 04:49
I'm a Banana Bomb lover, through and through, although I also have a bit of a sentimental attachment to the Holy Hand Grenade. I clapped with glee when I found out it would be in WOW2.

However, I'm dreadfully *bad* at the Banana Bomb, as anyone that ends up eventually playing me IG will come to discover (and probably kill yourself laughing over as a result). I usually... 75% of the time... end up damaging or killing myself with it more than anyone else. Yet, I continue to try and use it as a fatal final blow, with often hilarious results.

Maybe that's why I like it so much.

yakuza
13 Sep 2007, 09:32
The banana bomb is a regular weapon :)

MtlAngelus
13 Sep 2007, 11:07
Why is Armageddon not included as a Special Weapon? :p
In my case will either be the Super Sheep, HHG or Mad Cows.

bonz
13 Sep 2007, 13:55
Homing Pigeon!
You get two flying sticks of dynamite that home in on your enemies.
Plus it's the first powerful weapon to be unlocked from the delay.

Squirminator2k
13 Sep 2007, 15:25

It's a Special Weapon.

SilPho
13 Sep 2007, 16:47
...you can't select the banana bomb as a team's special weapon.

Personally I have had the super sheep for as long as I can remember. I don't think I've ever had a different one. The sheer number of times that it has saved the end game for me means I keep it firmly in my arsenal. :)

Squirminator2k
13 Sep 2007, 16:55
But it's still a Special Weapon, because under most circumstances you can only obtain it in Weapon Crates.

Plasma
13 Sep 2007, 17:17
But it's still a Special Weapon, because under most circumstances you can only obtain it in Weapon Crates.
As paul said:
I'm trying to create a bit of conversation regarding your favourite team weapon.
So special weapons are only ones that can be chosen for your team.

yakuza
13 Sep 2007, 19:39

No it isn't, it doesn't have to be unlocked nor do you need special weapons turned on to be able to have it in your scheme.
The banana is in the same level as a Bazooka or a grenade.
It doesn't have anything special on it other than the damage it does, and you can't go by that to differ weapons because then, what would you call the mole?

Technically speaking special weapons are only those which you can choose for your team, that's why there's an special weapon on/off option. Other weapons that could be considered "special" are those that have to be unlocked, like the armageddon or pasty's magic bullet, the banana bomb is neiter of these, it's just a regular weapon.

MrBunsy
13 Sep 2007, 19:44
So much for a simple conversation then.

yakuza
13 Sep 2007, 19:49
So much for a simple conversation then.

What's complex for you might be simple for others, but nice trollage.

Squirminator2k
13 Sep 2007, 20:02
No it isn't, it doesn't have to be unlocked nor do you need special weapons turned on to be able to have it in your scheme.
The banana is in the same level as a Bazooka or a grenade.
It doesn't have anything special on it other than the damage it does, and you can't go by that to differ weapons because then, what would you call the mole?

Technically speaking special weapons are only those which you can choose for your team, that's why there's an special weapon on/off option. Other weapons that could be considered "special" are those that have to be unlocked, like the armageddon or pasty's magic bullet, the banana bomb is neiter of these, it's just a regular weapon.

I believe you are confusing "special weapon" with "team weapon".

Tehre are four sets of weapons. There's Standard weapons, such as the Bazooka, grenade, and so forth. There are Special Weapons, which covers the Banana Bomb, Minigun, Old Woman, Super Sheep, Sheep-on-a-Rope, Holy Hand Grenade, and the like. There are Secret Weapons, which generally speaking includes weapons like Armageddon, Concrete Donkey, Nuke, the Mail Strike (in WormsDC at least), and onwards. Then there is a subset, the team Weapons, which is a selection of the Special Weapons you can set as your team's unique starting weapon.

The Banana Bomb has always been a Special Weapon. Besides Blast Mode and Full Wormage there are no schemes that I'm aware of that include the weapon from the word "Go". It's a special weapon because in 90% of the schemes out there you can only get it in a weapon crate. it's a special weapon because up to about Worms Armageddon the game didn't give you the option to set a value for it at all.

By contrast, the Sheep is now a Standard weapon. It was a Special Weapon in the first Worms games but was "promoted" to Standard from WormsDC onwards.

The Armageddon and Patsey's Magic Bullet are, strictly speaking, Secret Weapons. You can't set scheme values for these weaposn out of the box withotu unlocking the ability to do so first.

yakuza
13 Sep 2007, 20:07
You're missing something, what you call "Team Weapons" is what the game knows as "Special Weapons"* and refers to them that way, therefore the Banana Bomb is by no means a special weapon. If you want to go with the scheme theory then so be it, I find it logical to say the least but that's subjective and has no other argument than the use of common sense applied to schemes, which is an aspect of the game that continuously changes.

*Go to the weapons mensu and mouse over the skunk on the top right corner, the button that turns hhg,ss,mole et al on/off and you'll se down in the description that the game labels them as "Special Weapons". By turning them off they will become team weapons, by turning them on you will be able to select them for your scheme and pick them up in crates, that's a technical difference between them and regular weapons which include Bazooka, Mortar, Banana Bomb etc.

Alien King
13 Sep 2007, 20:16
I always thought things like the Banana Bomb and Nuke were known as Super Weapons.

Special weapons were the available team weapons.

That's what I thought, but now I'm confused.

Squirminator2k
13 Sep 2007, 20:23
maybe I'm wrong, then. In all likelihood, I'm probably using the way WormsDC describes the weapon groups.

SilPho
13 Sep 2007, 20:38
The Super Banana Bomb is a Super weapon. :D
The Banana bomb is not a team weapon, we're all agreed on that.

Some people could class the banana bomb as a "special weapon" due to it's power and the fact that it is used less frequently than grenades or shotguns, however as far as the game is concerned it does not fall in to a different category to that of the mine or prod etc.

If you want to spice this category debate up, you can throw utilities in to the mix. But maybe save that for another topic.

Back on topic: Does ANYONE use a mole bomb or old woman as their team weapon of choice?

Alien King
13 Sep 2007, 20:40
I find it difficult to think of situations where either weapon would be my preference. The mole bomb has a use in flushing out dark siders, but it just doesn't do enough damage.

MrBunsy
13 Sep 2007, 21:27
What's complex for you might be simple for others, but nice trollage.

What? I think Paul just wanted a nice thread with a conversation about favourite weapons, certainly I did, then people started squabbling over which weapons to talk about.

It's a shame, because it was quite fun previously.

Plasma
13 Sep 2007, 21:28
maybe I'm wrong, then. In all likelihood, I'm probably using the way WormsDC describes the weapon groups.
That would explain why you thought the weapons were divided into four sets instead of three.

Squirminator2k
13 Sep 2007, 21:31
Well, it's four if you include Team Weapons, which is really a subset of Special Weapons. WormsDC doesn't have Team Weapons, incidentally...

Diablo vt
13 Sep 2007, 22:08
By the way... Is it true that Andy Davidson is updating Worms: DC?

Sorry, off topic.

Alien King
13 Sep 2007, 23:07
Is it true that Andy Davidson is updating Worms: DC?

That seems unlikely, especially since Andy hasn't been working for T17 for quite some time now.

In fact, according to the Wikipedia, he opened an 'ibar'.
Did S2K happen to write that line?

AndrewTaylor
13 Sep 2007, 23:18
I always pick Flamethrower. It's the most versatile. It works close-quarters, it can kill a full-health worm, it can detonate a barrel, it can travel for miles in the right wind, and it's a very powerful way of moving folk around, say into the sea.

Mad Cows are damn powerful as well, but they're less versatile. Both are fine choices.

Squirminator2k
13 Sep 2007, 23:59
That seems unlikely, especially since Andy hasn't been working for T17 for quite some time now.

In fact, according to the Wikipedia, he opened an 'ibar'.
Did S2K happen to write that line?

Andy has indeed opened an [ibar (http://www.ibar.com/)]. A few of the Veterans were planning on going there for a night out some time ago before I immigrated, but we're rubbish planners so it didn't happen.

Andy did tell me back in March that he continued working on WormsDC after it was released, and he has a "special edition" on his computer that he has been considering making available for free, possibly through Dream17. He hasn't decided whether or not he's going to yet, though. I haven't had a proper email conversation with him since the ibar opened, actually, so I'm assuming that's keeping him very busy.

zang-zag
14 Sep 2007, 00:44
i like the minigun and the super sheep

MrBionic
14 Sep 2007, 02:42

Ooops. haha. Well, then the SUPER banana bomb.

[UFP]Ghost
14 Sep 2007, 04:27
Homing Pigeon!
You get two flying sticks of dynamite that home in on your enemies.
Plus it's the first powerful weapon to be unlocked from the delay.

I feel this way.