PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Intel chipsets/graphics cards

smiley2600
9 Sep 2007, 16:22
Are you annoyed at not being able to play games because you have an intel graphics card? If so, sign here, i'll count it up and try and get intel to fix the problem!!!!! This includes Worms Armageddon, Pirates of the Caribbean, and some other games!

Thanks,

Smiley :)

CyberShadow
9 Sep 2007, 19:00
I've been keeping a list of past complaints (with submitted error logs):

scndmg - http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?p=590194
joeyhimself - http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?p=590504
Armaguedon - http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?p=590617
darkshade1 - http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33262
Blazor1994 - http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?p=595361

There were more than just them, though.

smiley2600
14 Sep 2007, 22:14
wow, thanks......

It really annoys me that there are so many people, and so many games, that intel don't release new drivers to cope with directdraw problems........ are there any other games recorded with these same problems?

Smiley

Muzer
15 Sep 2007, 08:31
All the second gen worms games, in theory should have the same problem (although I seem to remember that someone hinted Worms 2 somehow worked on them. Dunno how).

PsychoFrea
15 Sep 2007, 09:20
Why do people still use onboard graphics cards? You can buy a low-spec dedicated one for £50.

CyberShadow
15 Sep 2007, 09:26
We are talking about a graphics chipset for notebook computers. Installing a separate graphics card is not always an option.

PsychoFrea
15 Sep 2007, 14:22
Oh. A laptop. D:

SomePerson
16 Sep 2007, 07:58
Add me to the list...:p

Toshiba Portege M400
Vista Business
2.00GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1024MB RAM
Intel 945GM video chipset thingy:(

Error Log at: http://brian.kentosh.com/ERRORLOG.TXT

smiley2600
16 Sep 2007, 19:22
All the second gen worms games, in theory should have the same problem (although I seem to remember that someone hinted Worms 2 somehow worked on them. Dunno how).

Well, Worms 2 has always worked on my laptop and I have an intel chipset... but w:A and pirates of the caribbean.

SomePerson
17 Sep 2007, 07:31
W2 runs great on my Vista Intel laptop, but WA and WWP do not. I heard somewhere that it might have something to do with the menus. If that's the case then we need a patch to use a command prompt style menu for us without DirectDraw.:p

edit: Hold up. My dxdiag says that DirectDraw Acceleration is enabled. How does that work?

This part of the Intel site (http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-003994.htm) mentions DirectDraw, and if you look carefully at the "This applies to:" the 945GM chipset is included in that. However, when I try to follow those steps I learn that "Your current display driver does not allow changes to be made to hardware acceleration settings."

Also, this old Intel driver for the 945GM (http://downloadmirror.intel.com/12934/ENG/relnotes_winxp64_gfx.htm) mentions DirectDraw a number of times, but then this new driver (http://downloadmirror.intel.com/14344/ENG/relnotes_winvista_gfx.htm) makes no mention of DirectDraw. I don't know if this means they think they fixed all the problems, or if they've stopped supporting it or what. I don't really know, I just found it interesting.:p

franpa
17 Sep 2007, 08:59
probably just lacks support for certain versions and/or certain functions in certain versions of directdraw.

Snork
18 Sep 2007, 02:34
You can add me to the list too, I'll have an error log up soon.

efrasiyab
19 Sep 2007, 17:30
add me to this list too

marth
20 Sep 2007, 23:53
add me also

SgtFusion
22 Sep 2007, 23:35
I have an Intel graphics chipset. W2, WA, and WWP (as well as all other games I like to play) work fine. Maybe it's just a problem with certain versions.

SomePerson
23 Sep 2007, 00:29
I have an Intel graphics chipset. W2, WA, and WWP (as well as all other games I like to play) work fine. Maybe it's just a problem with certain versions.

What Intel chip do you have? And do you have Vista or XP?

Muzer
23 Sep 2007, 09:06
Yeah, it's just vista that has the problematic drivers.

aotini
23 Sep 2007, 21:27
I have Windows Vista Intel 945GM and can't get WWP working either. I've installed the newest driver -- Date: 8/24/2007 Version: 7.14.10.1322.

No solution yet to this problem? Is it an Intel issue or Vista issue or both?

Muzer
23 Sep 2007, 21:54
Intel, for not releasing vista-compatible 100% Direct X compliant drivers, and vista for not being compatible with the XP drivers.

smiley2600
25 Sep 2007, 17:29
I think i've found yet another game which doesn't work. navyFIeld. the massively multiplayer online strategy game.... bang! it works on my friend's laptop, which has an nvidia card, but not mine, cos i have a 945GM Express CHIPSET!!!!!!!!!
grrrr

CJH
25 Sep 2007, 19:13
A few moments ago I thought intel was an okay computer stuff company that sponsered the BMW Sauber F1 team. After seeing this topic, I am in the upmost happyness that I never bought an intel graphics card. I am sorry for your loss smiley2600. If I ever meet mario theisen, [The head of the BMW Sauber F1 Team.] I will tell him this: "Albert 2[Windtunnel supercomputer] will never play worms armagedon i'm afraid."

Squirminator2k
25 Sep 2007, 19:37
There are tons of games that don't work with laptops. It's an architecture thing - a hardware issue, I believe - and in some cases a simple driver update won't be enough to fix the problem. The Sims 2 works, for example, but if you install the unviersity expansion it doesn't.

I'll be buying a laptop at soem point in the near future, solely for writing on. I do intend to put WA on it though, if nothing else.

pmanzana
28 Sep 2007, 05:09
I got a NEW Laptop with the X3100 Intel Graphics Card, and I CANT play W:Armageddon. This is $%#@@!!! I hope you can fulfill your destiny SMILEY! ;)

MtlAngelus
28 Sep 2007, 09:33
I got a NEW Laptop with the X3100 Intel Graphics Card, and I CANT play W:Armageddon. This is $%#@@!!! I hope you can fulfill your destiny SMILEY! ;)
Yes. Smiley, you have now been entrusted with a mission. You must infiltrate Intel's evil lair and retrieve a fix for the Intel chipset/graphics card issues! Ignore the princess locked in the tower, she is not relevant to our needs.
Now go, my son, and don't come back witouth the fix!
:p

CJH
29 Sep 2007, 18:13
Yes. Smiley, you have now been entrusted with a mission. You must infiltrate Intel's evil lair and retrieve a fix for the Intel chipset/graphics card issues! Ignore the princess locked in the tower, she is not relevant to our needs.
Now go, my son, and don't come back witouth the fix!
:p

Princess locked in tower? I must have missed that one...oh well, shes proberly been rescued by some unrealistic prince, or [hopefully] has rotted away. [bah! away with the nastyness of temptation!] We must seige the BMW Sauber base in hinwil, switserland, make them end the sponsership deal with Intel, and Intels money will be up in flames! If not we will seige Intel base, or better, flame on their support forums! COME ALL, WE MUST UNITE AGAINST THESE INTEL-LAND-LUBERS AND PRINCESSES LOCKED IN TOWERS! THE TIME TO UNITE IS AT HAND! FLAME AT WILL!!!

smiley2600
1 Oct 2007, 20:10
. The Sims 2 works, for example, but if you install the unviersity expansion it doesn't.

I'll be buying a laptop at soem point in the near future, solely for writing on. I do intend to put WA on it though, if nothing else.

Phew, thanks for that, i was thinking of buying university expansion for my sims.... what about the other expansions (nightlife, open for business etc...)

Also, i'm trying to get on to intel with the problem, i should have an update in a few days.
Thanks for the support (princesses Lol!),

Smiley

Squirminator2k
1 Oct 2007, 20:16
EA released a few "The Sims Life Stories" games (or whatever they're called) which are designed specifically to work with laptops. I didn't have any of the other expansions so I don't know if they work or not. Your best bet is to check out Sims community forums and see what people have to say there.

I am very tempted to buy Sims 2 Deluxe. I'm such a sad human being...

smiley2600
1 Oct 2007, 20:23
right, i've emailed them, should be getting a reply soon....
Gamers everywhere better cross their fingers!
Lol.
Smiley

smiley2600
1 Oct 2007, 20:24
Squirminator, the sims stories games, for lack of a better word, SUCK ASS!

Sims 2 all the way.

Smiley

smiley2600
2 Oct 2007, 17:40
God, it's hard sifting through all the bullpoo they emailed me.... I mainly got a load of things telling me to check if the game is on the list of games with issues (which it isn't...) and something about transform and lighting... which i believe has no relevance to W:A.... basically nothing... and i can't email them directly it seems. i'll keep trying!

Smiley

smiley2600
2 Oct 2007, 17:43
Here's what they wrote i should do (i've tried all of them btw, and they don't work, but it might solve someones problem) it's not working for me and i have 945GM Express Chipset....

A graphics or video error message when running the game, system crash when starting the game or loading a level, or a blank screen when starting the game are common symptoms of this type.

The following steps should be used to resolve the issue:

Review the Game Compatibility List to see if this is a known issue with this particular game. If so, specific information or instructions are provided there for resolving the issue. Games that have been tested with no issues found are also listed there.

Update the graphics drivers to the latest version. If drivers cannot be obtained from the system or motherboard manufacturer, the latest Intel® graphics drivers can be used.

Check the game manufacturer's web site for any game updates, patches, or known issues with the graphics adapter.

Make sure no background tasks are running, such as virus scanners, task schedulers, remote system control programs such as Microsoft* NetMeeting* or any other programs that run in the task bar.

Check the CPU Usage using Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc). Watch the CPU Usage in the status bar of this window for several seconds. If it remains higher than about 15%, check the processes tab to see which programs are using excessive system resources.

Check to make sure you have the latest version of DirectX* †installed on your system. Most games include the version of DirectX that they require on the game CD, but sometimes an updated version will help to resolve an issue.

Reduce the desktop screen resolution and color depth to 640x480 and High Color (16 bit) color depth in Display Properties. Many games will attempt to switch to this particular screen resolution and color depth when loading. Switching to this mode manually can help to determine if the issue is with switching video modes or with loading the game. Additionally, some OpenGL* games will attempt to run at the current desktop color depth. Some graphics adapters do not support 3D acceleration at higher than 16-bit color depth, so they will not be able to use OpenGL 3D acceleration at true color (24-bit or 32-bit color depth).

Squirminator2k
2 Oct 2007, 17:45
Is this for WA or The Sims 2? Silly question, but as we segwayed into Sims territory about four posts or so ago I thought I'd clarify the issue.

Also, who are you emialing?

smiley2600
2 Oct 2007, 19:22
Lol, it's an email to Intel detailing the problem with their drivers, mainly talking about W:A but with a passing mention to university, pirates of the caribbean and others.

CyberShadow
2 Oct 2007, 22:53
I doubt any of those would solve anyone's problems. The one exception is trying to start the game at 640x480, with 256 colours (8-bit colour) - not 16 bits like they recommended, since W:A uses 256 colours everywhere.

franpa
3 Oct 2007, 04:14
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx?lang=eng

new drivers for laptop intergrated video.

smiley2600
3 Oct 2007, 07:31
I've tried the 256 colours after realising how little colours W:A uses. but not with 640x480 so i'll try that now....

Smiley

smiley2600
3 Oct 2007, 07:34
Franpa, where exactly is this shiny new download, you've just given the main download area site....

franpa
3 Oct 2007, 07:39
i don't know... http://www.tweakguides.com/ thats where i got the info on the new release from.

do you use vista?

smiley2600
3 Oct 2007, 17:04
yup, that's the root of the problem... vista with intel graphics chipsets appear to be a bad mix...

CyberShadow
3 Oct 2007, 17:07
This entire topic is about Vista compatibility.

ssj4androi
3 Oct 2007, 22:15
"Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Technical Support.

As far as we understand, you are having difficulties trying to play Worms Armageddon*.

1.Please try the following steps to resolve this issue:

-Please test setting the Windows* desktop to High Color (16 bit) color depth in Display Properties.

-Update the video drivers to version PV15.6.1 This driver version for your graphics controller can be found at this webpage:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2843

Note: If you already have this driver version installed, try downloading it again and reinstalling it.

Make sure to read the "Read Me" document that comes with the drivers prior to installation.

-Check the game manufacturer's website for any game updates or patches.

-Make sure no background tasks are running, such as virus scanners, task schedulers, or any other programs that run in the task bar.

-You may also try to run the game in safe mode, if the game has the option, since it will disable any unsupported hardware features."

Same as others. I'm waiting for a good deal on a GeForce 8800. :(

smiley2600
4 Oct 2007, 16:54
Grrr, and you don't even have the same graphics thing as me........ There's no way of speaking to a real person... GRRRRRRNESS...

Smiley

CyberShadow
4 Oct 2007, 18:08
If enough e-mails are sent by enough different people, it will more likely cause the attention of the higher-ups. If you haven't sent an e-mail, send it as well. If you got a pre-canned response like the ones above, reply and say that those didn't work, that you're sure that the problem is with their driver, that it works on your XP and generally the game works with all other manufacturers' cards.

smiley2600
4 Oct 2007, 22:00
Yes. Rally together, disgruntled gamers! Email Intel several times if you know what's good for your gaming life! We shall *** Intel with a sheer weight of emails so they shall be alerted and release a flipping driver! Once Again, EMAIL THEM.

Thank you for the support. I think we might be reaching a solution. Thanks too to cybershadow, your advice was always helpful.

Smiley (happy now)

ssj4androi
8 Oct 2007, 04:45
Sent a response to the response I got, received:
"We, at Intel, appreciate your feedback on this matter. We will make sure your comment reaches the proper department for future consideration."

At least it's something.

smiley2600
8 Oct 2007, 17:41
i guess... i'll do it too, and so must everyone! :)

_Abi_
17 Oct 2007, 13:08
mobile intel(r) 945 express chipset family <-- count me in...

KiraYamato
19 Oct 2007, 23:26
please add me to thanks!

ewout89
22 Oct 2007, 22:19
Jup add me too, 945gm chipset with the 950 gma

franpa
23 Oct 2007, 03:28
you should all be sending complaints to intel, its the best course of action you guys can take i think.

Squirminator2k
23 Oct 2007, 03:35
http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/images/franpa-alert/franpa-code-yellow.png

And, quite possibly...

http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/images/franpa-alert/franpa-code-orange.png

Again, it's largely due to the way in which computert technology is condensed for laptops. Complain about it all you want but the fact is that most laptops aren't designed for gaming.

ssj4androi
23 Oct 2007, 03:54
Yeah, that's great, except it has nothing to do with the card being designed for a laptop, as it's not working on my desktop.

I can't seem to get Worms Armageddon running under a Windows 98 Virtual PC now either. When I try setting the resolution to 1440x900 (the highest 16:10 resolution MS Virtual PC 2007 supports), the palette is messed up and I don't think it's running at the right resolution.

franpa
23 Oct 2007, 04:32
If enough e-mails are sent by enough different people, it will more likely cause the attention of the higher-ups. If you haven't sent an e-mail, send it as well. If you got a pre-canned response like the ones above, reply and say that those didn't work, that you're sure that the problem is with their driver, that it works on your XP and generally the game works with all other manufacturers' cards.

did you read this squirminator2k?

CyberShadow
23 Oct 2007, 11:31
S2K, you're wrong. It's a driver issue, the same games work great on Windows XP.

ssj4androi, I've never tried running W:A in a Virtual PC running Windows 98, but it worked well when I installed XP on it.

Squirminator2k
23 Oct 2007, 15:35
Oh. Well I take it back then.

smiley2600
24 Oct 2007, 10:43
yeah it's not really the performance, just the drivers... all my games run fast, even more modern games like guild wars and the movies. can't run X3 with it though...

zimmer4me
25 Oct 2007, 21:14
S2K, you're wrong. It's a driver issue, the same games work great on Windows XP.

ssj4androi, I've never tried running W:A in a Virtual PC running Windows 98, but it worked well when I installed XP on it.
I think you must be right as I cannot get this game to play on a vista..tosh laptop with mobile intel(r) 945 express chipset family. However It works fine on XP2 on both my desktops and also HID's acer laptop with XP2.
I find it really frustrating and would be nice for solution.
regards
Zimmer

GoKa
28 Oct 2007, 15:01
Well then, let's have one more: WA on Vista Business with Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset doesn't work at all.

I tried all the versions of the game, 1.0 as well as 3.0 and 3.6b in all the different running modes (compatibility with XP, 98/Me and with administrator rights). I got several different error messages in modules wa.exe, wa.lcd and directx2d.dll but none of the solutions published on this board worked. So I guess, my problem also is the Intel graphics chipset.

On my desktop PC with Win XP Home SP2 and an Asus X1600Pro graphics card the game works without any problems.

REVENGE
10 Nov 2007, 00:34
God forbid Intel try to enter the discrete graphics card market with a non-existent driver team of r/b-tards. Trying to pull working drivers out of your ass at release is embarrassing, but not having working drivers quarters after your product is released is just fail.

bigman
10 Nov 2007, 15:08
I'd like to add me to the list too!
I have a Compaq Presario V6500 with Intel Core Duo with Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family.
Vista Home Premium.
Yes,my Worms World Party won't start up.
Bunch of ****.

okatomy
21 Nov 2007, 11:19
hey, all you have to do to run WA @ Vista @ 945GM is install the latest XP drivers for 945GM (oh yes they will work)

only problem is that u wont get the Vista Aero theme with xp drivers.

smiley2600
27 Nov 2007, 20:54
We just ascertained that they DON'T WORK. I'll try them anyway, i'm getting annoyed...

nilrem
27 Nov 2007, 21:10
Worked for my friend using a Dell laptop and that chipset.

bonz
28 Nov 2007, 08:00
Check out what nilrem had to say about Intel chipsets in this thread:
http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=35026

divvyboy
4 Jan 2008, 13:06
Don't know if this topic is still active, but any mass mail going to Intel, count my name in! Seriously narked off by the fact people can't be bothered to include backward compatibility in their software! :mad:

penguinw
20 Feb 2008, 17:39
Waaa:(

Samsung Q45:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz
2 GB
Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family

Very very sad :(

Spilki
20 Feb 2008, 22:56
A little suggestion for everyone....

try downloading Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 and loading win98 onto a virtual machine.

There's a little bit of sound lag but IT WORKS! :D

I've got an Acer 5633 laptop running Vista Premium
Intel 945GM chipset
1GB Ram
!.6Ghz Centrino Duo Processor.

(It does spout up that vista premium isn't supported by virtual PC but that doesn't stop it from working)

Hope this helps! :D

(Only thing is I can't quite work out yet how to patch in my t'interweb connection i use on my host system :S.... *next on to-do list*)

Blazor1994
28 Feb 2008, 22:03
well i hope this help. i used it on wwp but it might apply to wa. http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=35703

rendsvig
22 Mar 2008, 15:44
I too have

Mobile intel(r) 945 express chipset family
(Vista Biz, 2Gb RAM, 7200 DuoCore)

And it does not work with:
Doom3, HalfLife2, F.E.A.R, Command&Conquer3 nor Worms4.

Spilki
23 Mar 2008, 23:36
HL2 works with me :)

You have to force the game to run in directX 7 and that should make it work ok :)

Rioter
6 Apr 2008, 01:29
no intention to bump this topic, but I now am cursed with the retched problem of doom

Acer Aspire 5315
Intel Celeron 1.84Ghz Processor
1GB DDR-2 RAM
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 965 Family (X3100) :(

Probably going to dual boot XP and vista

EDIT: Installed XP Drivers, apart from vista standard theme doesnt work, it doesnt matter - I can play worms :) Although I HATE the look and no aero

NickSta
8 Apr 2008, 22:18
Yep ill join. We need intel to do something about this problem.

We need to join with smiley2600 and try to get as many people as we can then we can get Intel to do something about and maybe release an exclusive intel patch which sorts out these problems or something.;)

cmacphail
18 Apr 2008, 05:38
Add me ++

Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 @1.5 GHZ
Mobile Intel 965 Express
Vista Home Premium 32-bit

I miss W:A :(

Guicrs
20 Apr 2008, 02:21
Well... one more. I'm about trying to install XP drivers.

Sony Vaio VGN-CR320E
Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 @2.0 Ghz
2GB DDR2 DRAM
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 965 Family (X3100)
Vista Home Premium 32-bit

:( I miss W:A

Karste1n
13 May 2008, 12:11
Im in too!

Intel go away from graphics business :eek:

Intel celeron M 1.86 ghz
1 gb ram
Intel GMA 945
Windows vista basic

Tarpinder
22 May 2008, 20:28
Virtual Machine, and non-vista drivers are a little daunting even for this gem of a game...

Add me to the list of unsatisfied Intel customers. If there's any more I can do please tell.

kinkdxm
1 Jun 2008, 09:34
using virtualbox under linux my graphics card show up as intel.
:(

Muzer
1 Jun 2008, 14:43
Um, you realuise that it's VISTA and intel that's the killer combination, any other OS (Virtual or not) works fine with intel.

Which OS are you emulating?

kinkdxm
1 Jun 2008, 18:41
xp.
the error messages that I got are showing up as an intel issue.

Muzer
1 Jun 2008, 18:52
Compress and upload the entire errorlog.txt

Ghostly 3rd page!

kinkdxm
1 Jun 2008, 19:38
errrrr never mind.
Thanks though.
I forgot to install the guest additions in virtualbox.
:)
Game works now!
YAY!