PDA

View Full Version : [ProSnooper] Unfortunate bug (under Vista)

valentin
20 Aug 2007, 11:55
Hello all !!
I've contacted Simon, the nice developer of this program and he asked me to come here to get some help from professional :p
I can run the program, the chat, servers, buddies, all this works fine, the problem is is that i can't join a server and the worst is that i can't create one !
Nothing happen when i click on a server (except this error: ProSnooper error: Access violation at address 00449A60 in module 'ProSnooper.exe'. Read of address 00000004) and really nothing happen when I create a server (no matter which of the two ways).
He told me to try to execute (with start function of Vista) this command: WA:// and actually i doesn't work either !

Sorry for my english and I hope someone could help me because i wanna use Prosnooper so much :-/
Thank you!

CyberShadow
20 Aug 2007, 12:01
The "ProSnooper error" is a bug in ProSnooper. Simon should fix it.

As for the wa:// thing - do you have the latest Beta update (3.6.28.0) installed?

valentin
20 Aug 2007, 12:31
Yes the latest beta, and a commercial version of WA.

pisto
20 Aug 2007, 15:08
it happens also in winxp home.

bonz
20 Aug 2007, 15:13
XP Home? Vista?
Are you guys having administrator rights?

pisto
20 Aug 2007, 15:15
I do. i can use all the features of prosnooper, but the error address is the same iirc

BigBilly
20 Aug 2007, 15:34
You should ask here ---> http://www.laene.nl/fb/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14526
Theres the founder of it and can maybe answer your question :)

yakuza
20 Aug 2007, 16:59
In windows XP the error appeared but it still launched WA and joined the game, on Vista Home Premium however it doens't join the game, for me.

valentin
20 Aug 2007, 17:08
So, where the heck does that error come from ? :)

CyberShadow
20 Aug 2007, 22:26
W:A associates the wa: protocol handler every time it runs. It may require administrative rights to succeed at that. You can try checking in the registry if the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\wa exists.

valentin
21 Aug 2007, 05:52
Yup, i do have this key !
Adminstrative rights ? I'm the admin on my computer (vista) what do you mean ?

CyberShadow
21 Aug 2007, 06:02
Unless you turned off UAC, even if your account has administrative rights all processes run with minimal required priviledges. To make a program that doesn't use Vista manifest resources run with full access to your computer, you need to start it in a special manner: right-click the program or shortcut file, and select "Run as Administrator" or something similar.

Anyway, it's possible Vista implements protocol handling differently now. I might have a look sooner or later.

Is it working for anyone at all using Vista?

simhug
21 Aug 2007, 15:53
Hi, I'm the developer of the program.

First of all the exception error hasn't got very much to do with the wa:// protocol handler and game launching (it's an error in the parser of the gamelist)

I originally directed Valentin to use this forum. However, it seems that Vista has something to do with it, so in the next version it will be possible to use WA.exe (and thereby setting the wa://-string as a parameter), which I really should have done since the first version.

If anybody has any other comments, feel free to use my msn (sf@rndtv.dk) or IRC (#worms at gamesurge)