PDA

View Full Version : Hosting Issue

NAiL
7 Aug 2007, 19:15
Hi, Ive been able to host fine for over a year with my DSL-604+ until now. Wormnet has been lagging alot recently and when this first happened it was impossible to make or host a game. When things cooled down I tried to host but it was impossible for people to join. I checked my IP and reset all my router ports a number of times yet still it will not work... Its the most frustrating thing sitting in AG waiting for someone to host up a game you want to play... its SO frustrating! I make use of Hosting Buddy (when he's there) but still, I want to make random maps and use Bit maps etc...
Anyone have some advice? Thanks.

CyberShadow
8 Aug 2007, 07:30
When you host a game, can the website http://canyouseeme.org/ see the game hosted? (Make it check port 17011, unless you've changed it in the network options screen).

NAiL
9 Aug 2007, 20:16
Thanks for replying.

I checked all of the ports I was told to forward for wa (on portforward.com) and for each one it said this:

Error: I could not see your service on 81.129.183.183 on port (17011)
Reason: Connection timed out

I dont know why its suddenly stopped working, its really, really annoying. Its prevented me from enjoying a cool game of rope... elite or whatever I feel like. It forces you to sit around in AG, and takes all the creativity away from wa. Any more advice now that I've tried that?
Thanks, NAiL.

franpa
9 Aug 2007, 23:54
start -> settings -> network connections -> (double click) Local Area Connection -> click the right most tab at the top -> check if what is here has changed since when you could host.

NAiL
10 Aug 2007, 19:18
Nope, nothings changed, not sure what I was looking for there anyway. Thanks for your help but... any more suggestions? Its so frustrating this....

CyberShadow
10 Aug 2007, 20:44
Just to make it clear: you must be hosting a game when checking the ports with http://canyouseeme.org/ . If the website still reports the ports as being closed, you're not done configuring your router/firewall.

Little Kid
12 Aug 2007, 13:39
Hi NAiL i had same prob in the end i found out it was my ISP blocking it
there was a built in firewall set to high = blocks all ports turned it off and i could host i could not beleave my eyes give it ago log on to your ISP website and look at your account settings and find the firewall settings and turn it off!! gl :D (im on plus net broadband)

Ferdil
20 Aug 2007, 14:26
I have the same problem but i can't find a firewall section in my ISP site.

I also use a small computer as a router.

Canyouseeme fails.

CyberShadow
20 Aug 2007, 22:30
You shouldn't be looking at your ISP's website - unless they use some kind of remote configuration system, you should configure the computer you are connecting through to forward incoming TCP connections on port 17011 (you may customize it in the game's network options) to your computer's internal IP address. The procedure varies depending on the operating system :)

Ferdil
21 Aug 2007, 16:14
it's a linux computer with no graphical interface, i don't know how to forward ports with console commands.

CyberShadow
21 Aug 2007, 17:10
If you have no experience with Linux, I guess you should contact whoever set it up for you, or find a tech-savvy friend to help you out.

Ferdil
21 Aug 2007, 18:09
I think I'll do. thanks for help.

EDIT: I asked my linux expert and he said that the linux computer doesn't lock any ports, so the problem shouldn't be in that computer. maybe my ISP or my computer is the problem.

CyberShadow
21 Aug 2007, 18:29
I think your Linux expert misunderstood the problem. When he said about "locking" ports, he probably thought that it was blocking outgoing connections to some ports on other computers. The problem is that, unless you explicitely configure a computer to do that, it is not forwarding connections on port 17011 to your computer. If no one configured it to forward that port (or all ports) to your computer, all connection attempts to your IP on port 17011 will fail. It needs to be set up to accept TCP connections on port 17011 from the external network interface, and forward them to your computer's internal IP address, also to port 17011.

Ferdil
21 Aug 2007, 18:35
ah, ok. thank you.

robowurmz
21 Aug 2007, 18:37
My trouble with hosting was fixed my setting my firewall to allow 17011 through. Check that you don't have a firewall protecting port 17011 on your router (lan connection) or your main computer (internet connection).