PDA

View Full Version : Question about a possible feature??

[UFP]Ghost
20 Jul 2007, 00:25
I know someone made a tool once for messaging people in-game or something. I was wondering if you could add that feature and assuming that your using wormnet to host, then it knows your ip. Could you add a feature that tells you if someone is online in game, as well as messaging in-game?

yakuza
20 Jul 2007, 13:19
I don't want to get into questioning what was it that made you think this was thread worthy, or that it was an original proposal. However, I can tell you that if this feature was easy to add, worth adding and there was measures to stop spammers and idiots from abusing it it'd be added by now.

[UFP]Ghost
20 Jul 2007, 16:34
I don't want to get into questioning what was it that made you think this was thread worthy, or that it was an original proposal. However, I can tell you that if this feature was easy to add, worth adding and there was measures to stop spammers and idiots from abusing it it'd be added by now.

Yes Yakuzza because my idea was to add the ability to see if someones online in a game. surely one can spam with that? I merely added the other one as proof that wormnet can find them in-game and asked that since it had already been made, can it be added?

or that it was an original proposal.

Seeing as how the program was already made, I can only assume that messaging in-game had been suggested.

measures to stop spammers and idiots from abusing it it'd be added by now.

Now this would take more coding but make a trusted/Buddy list and only people on your list can send you messages in-game. Not defending the idea or such I'm merely stating how wrong you are.

yakuza
20 Jul 2007, 16:47
Ghost;592671']Yes Yakuzza because my idea was to add the ability to see if someones online in a game. surely one can spam with that? I merely added the other one as proof that wormnet can find them in-game and asked that since it had already been made, can it be added?

Seeing as how the program was already made, I can only assume that messaging in-game had been suggested.

Now this would take more coding but make a trusted/Buddy list and only people on your list can send you messages in-game. Not defending the idea or such I'm merely stating how wrong you are.

A buddy list is really not needed for such a small community.

About that program, care to share the name of it or give a link? I assume you're talking about a snooper made by a NNN player, that doesn't allow messaging in-game, it only allows you to say something in #anythinggoes from a game, the program is based on a macro that runs in the background, it also had a sort of buddy list, but like I said, those things are really not needed.

Ghost;592671']Yes Yakuzza because my idea was to add the ability to see if someones online in a game. surely one can spam with that?

Ghost']I know someone made a tool once for messaging people in-game or something. I was wondering if you could add that feature

Don't contradict yourself.

[UFP]Ghost
20 Jul 2007, 16:50
A buddy list is really not needed for such a small community.

About that program, care to share the name of it or give a link? I assume you're talking about a snooper made by a NNN player, that doesn't allow messaging in-game, it only allows you to say something in #anythinggoes from a game, the program is based on a macro that runs in the background, it also had a sort of buddy list, but like I said, those things are really not needed.

The idea of messaging in game, but the buddy list was to avoid spamming. Since only people on it can send message you while your in-game.

A link? How should I remember the name, all I remember is a I tested it when it was in testing period. I'm pretty sure I tested it by messaging Fraggle & it was canceled for whatever reason before the final release. I've tested a few programs and it's hard to remember each.

Don't contradict yourself.

Ghost;592671']asked that since it had already been made, can it be added?

That wasn't my idea, my idea was that your should be able to know if people are online when there in game and you can't see them. But like I said I also requested that it be added since a program (or part of it) had been made. I made that clear in the last post.

Emanuel556
20 Jul 2007, 18:21
Well thanks to you two I totally lost the point about if that feature exists or not

Does it?

Gnork
20 Jul 2007, 19:19
just install www.xfire.com and add your friends to it.

Etho
20 Jul 2007, 19:46
CutWorm v1.19 for WWP has a very limited ability for anybody to message players, who are in a game, from WormNet1 & WormNet2. Even in its very limited state, it was a feature that everybody seemed to be thrilled about.

So yakuza, do not downplay this thread. There is already evidence that the feature would be very well received if it was enabled. Your logic isn't very effective because it fails to acknowledge the possibility that the feature was never added, like many other great features, because of the already backed-up workload.

yakuza
20 Jul 2007, 20:20
backed-up workload as in a thousand of other things that are much more handy and important than a feature that isn't required due to the existance of all sort of messengers.

bonz
20 Jul 2007, 23:51
You are all my buddies!
I want a buddy list.

[UFP]Ghost
21 Jul 2007, 00:18
You are all my buddies!
I want a buddy list.

Ditto except you know who :p

bonz
21 Jul 2007, 01:59
Ghost;592753']Ditto except you know who :p
Who? T_Magdi and Fwd. Adm.? ;)

[UFP]Ghost
21 Jul 2007, 03:50
Who? T_Magdi and Fwd. Adm.? ;)

Of course and one more special person i'll give you a hint, It isn't Franpa.:D

franpa
21 Jul 2007, 06:03
oO? yea yakuza, all thos messenger programs that wont allow you to send messages to people in-game :) yea its not useful because they do let YOU dont they now? hmmm?

yakuza
21 Jul 2007, 08:17
oO? yea yakuza, all thos messenger programs that wont allow you to send messages to people in-game :) yea its not useful because they do let YOU dont they now? hmmm?

you mean MSN messenger (to put an example) turns itself off when you're ingame?

edit: answering the post below this one: Of course it does... eh?

franpa
21 Jul 2007, 08:34
it doesnt, but does it allow you to message someone that is in-game or minimized?

PsychoFrea
21 Jul 2007, 09:57
just install www.xfire.com and add your friends to it.

But you can't use X-Fire in-game. I believe it's got something to do with the DXLevel of WA and the DXLevel that X-Fire runs on which allows the little message overlay to appear in most modern games.

KRD
21 Jul 2007, 12:48
The WormNet server as it is now can barely handle 60 clients connected to it at the same time and it doesn't do much more than the chat and the game list. What you need for features that require tracking everyone who used to be connected but isn't anymore is a stable ISP and a new server machine. Good luck getting that done.

The underlying reason for my negativity is that I simply don't want people to be able to message me when I'm in a game. In large amounts it would get severely distracting. Hell, I don't even want the option to be there. That would mean one would have to block people or refuse to add them to the buddy list if one wanted to avoid the spam, which wouldn't end well.

But yes, that's just me. I don't use instant messengers for the same reasons.

But you can't use X-Fire in-game. I believe it's got something to do with the DXLevel of WA and the DXLevel that X-Fire runs on which allows the little message overlay to appear in most modern games.

X-Fire needs to be fixed, then!

franpa
21 Jul 2007, 14:25
yes it would be distracting to a rather large degree.

Gnork
24 Jul 2007, 15:24
But you can't use X-Fire in-game.

So tell me why I can use the Minimize feature in WA, type a message in xfire, undo minimize and play the game without any problem? (Ok, Worms does crash every now and then, but not more often when xfire is running <- it crashes more often since I installed the new patch though for sure)

What you need ... is a stable ISP and a new server machine. Good luck getting that done.

^^
Try Strato hosting.
Links: France (http://www.strato.fr/) UK (http://www.strato-hosting.co.uk/) Germany (http://www.strato.de/) Italy (http://www.strato.it/) Benelux (http://www.strato.nl/) Spain (http://www.strato-alojamiento.es/)
They've got a blody fast network in Europe.

KRD
24 Jul 2007, 21:21
(Ok, Worms does crash every now and then, but not more often when xfire is running <- it crashes more often since I installed the new patch though for sure)

WA does not crash if you minimise it in-game anymore. Ever. Not even after hours.

If it does for you, you should collect the crash dumps and send them to the big bad boss men.

Gnork
26 Jul 2007, 12:23
WA does not crash if you minimise it in-game anymore. Ever. Not even after hours.

Wrong. It might not crash on your computer anymore not even after hours. For instance if my Wifi is ***ing me while I'm minimized in AG, it tends to crash when I restore it.

If it does for you, you should collect the crash dumps and send them to the big bad boss men.

Yes, I collect those errors sometimes if I remember to do so or if the situation in which it occured is strange, before starting up again and playing further ;)

yakuza
26 Jul 2007, 13:36
Wrong. It might not crash on your computer anymore not even after hours. For instance if my Wifi is ***ing me while I'm minimized in AG, it tends to crash when I restore it.

Yes, I collect those errors sometimes if I remember to do so or if the situation in which it occured is strange, before starting up again and playing further ;)

I think KRD might have something against the number 9, what he really meant is that it doesn't crash, ever, for the 99,99% of the people.

franpa
26 Jul 2007, 15:18
how does a wifi *** someone?

KRD
26 Jul 2007, 16:59

Har. :p

Gnork
27 Jul 2007, 12:13
how does a wifi *** someone?

Weather conditions m8

in-game in Ag

mmmk, so then say "WA will never crash if you minimize it with the minimize button while playing a game" :) To me in-game counts from the moment I clicked on the desktop shortcut to launch it until the moment I pressed Quit in the game. :o

franpa
27 Jul 2007, 13:38
it still crashes if the game is minimized, just no where near as often.

KRD
27 Jul 2007, 15:43
In-game as opposed to in the frontend, of course.

And no, Franpa, it doesn't crash if you minimise it during a game anymore. Not on a working computer. And it crashes as often as it did with the previous update in the frontend, I believe.

franpa
30 Jul 2007, 11:04
well i think of the game as both frontend and gameplay, so yea, like i said, it doesnt happen nearly as much.

yakuza
30 Jul 2007, 13:32
well i think of the game as both frontend and gameplay, so yea, like i said, it doesnt happen nearly as much.

Worms can only crash when it's running. If you say it doesn't crash, it would mean it doesn't crash at all, anywhere. However, if you specify and say
in-game then surely you're talking about something specific once the game is already running, in this case, being in the actual match.