PDA

View Full Version : Shoot Rope Down while roping

DerTo
5 Jul 2007, 17:52
How can you shoot the rope down while you're roping??
(Attachment sec.40)

redwraith
5 Jul 2007, 18:04
This is only possible if the host enabled the "Teststuff" function of the new patch. It's called the "Indian rope trick". I'm not sure how to do it in W:A, though (I think I used to be able to do it in Worms2).

Muzer
5 Jul 2007, 18:27
Same as in Worms 2 (Select a weapon that you aim, aim it all the way down, vertical jump, then quickly press F8 space before you land)

DerTo
5 Jul 2007, 18:30
Same as in Worms 2 (Select a weapon that you aim, aim it all the way down, vertical jump, then quickly press F8 space before you land)

I know that but it works only if you stand on the floor or fly with the chute... But how does it work while you're roping??

EDIT... Ok now i know... with enter...

EDIT2... Is it a Bug? When you hide after a turn you can only rope normal, not like this (shooting rope down)

redwraith
5 Jul 2007, 18:46

Ah, okay. I forgot you had to jump.

yakuza
5 Jul 2007, 18:48
In teststuff, while flying, pressing enter will shoot any weapon you have selected (unless it's a gun or another non supported weapon), when you're roping, if you don't select anything the rope is selected by default, so pressing enter while flying will make it shoot the rope. Since it is independant, it will act as if that was your first rope shot, instead of shooting to the according angle defined by the laws of roping. So, in short, it remembers the aim you first shot your rope and shoots the rope in that direction, not necesarily down.

franpa
6 Jul 2007, 02:26
and Yakuza forgot to say that, since you do not have the rope chosen during retreat time, the enter key will do nothing.

bonz
6 Jul 2007, 13:08
and Yakuza forgot to say that, since you do not have the rope chosen during retreat time, the enter key will do nothing.
Is that so?
I haven't actually tested it, but it would be quite some discrepancy if you could rope normally during retreat, but couldn't rope inversely (with the Enter key).

franpa
6 Jul 2007, 13:22
enter launches your secondary weapon on the rope which by default is the rope.

zog
6 Jul 2007, 13:36
Is that so?
I haven't actually tested it, but it would be quite some discrepancy if you could rope normally during retreat, but couldn't rope inversely (with the Enter key).

it makes perfect sense to me... in retreat time you don't have a secondary weapon to fire so you can't rope downwards ;)

bonz
6 Jul 2007, 15:32
it makes perfect sense to me... in retreat time you don't have a secondary weapon to fire so you can't rope downwards ;)
Well, true.
But that would mean that the secondary rope activated with enter is a weapon on its own, meaning that you should deplete your rope ammo twice as fast (if you use it alternately) if it is not infinite. :/
The same would be valid then for the parachute that you can now activate manually by pressing Enter.

I'd say, make the Enter key an alternative key for activating the rope, with the addition that it remembers the angle of the first shot.
Also, make the Enter key to be used for attaching AND detaching the rope.

franpa
6 Jul 2007, 15:36
make the Enter key to be used for attaching AND detaching the rope.

i agree here, it would make it vastly easier to use.

yakuza
6 Jul 2007, 16:42
Well, true.
But that would mean that the secondary rope activated with enter is a weapon on its own, meaning that you should deplete your rope ammo twice as fast (if you use it alternately) if it is not infinite. :/

Which is exactly what happens.

The same would be valid then for the parachute that you can now activate manually by pressing Enter.

This doesn't make any sense. You still lose Chutes as normally I would assume, even without teststuff, chuteflare takes as many chutes as you use, chute is different to the rope, in many ways, including fd.

I'd say, make the Enter key an alternative key for activating the rope, with the addition that it remembers the angle of the first shot.
Also, make the Enter key to be used for attaching AND detaching the rope.

Why would you want to change anything on teststuff? It's teststuff, there is no correct way it should be working, it makes perfect sense how it works right now to me, anyway. The enter key is not (and I assume wasn't even planned) to be used as an alternate style to roping, it's just a way to drop weapons, and now you can also "drop" the rope, asking for a change on how this works only because you don't see it "right" in one weapon seems a bit over the top to me, again, like I said, it makes perfect sense to me as it is.

(All I do is apply common sense, this post is all speculation)

franpa
6 Jul 2007, 17:06
That makes sense but it doesn't mean it has to be that way. I'm assuming you tested with non infinite ammo, and it doesn't cut twice as fast. Well, I don't have the explanation for this, I'm not a coder, for there is a million answers, what I can gather from the enter thing is that, the game thinks you're shooting a rope from the rope, as you would with any other weapon originally shootable from the rope, so it doesn't follow the roping patern, instead, it shoots the rope to its original angle, as if you were in the ground, it doesn't substract an extra rope from the ammo (again, I'm assuming you tested this) because the game runs a check, the worm is roping, you can't lose ropes while roping, simple as. Roping, bungee etc, the game treats the worms differently, as seen in many ways. Walking off a cliff will make you lose your turn even with FD off, falling off the same height with the rope/bungee from the same height won't make you lose your turn, unless you hit something solid, in which case it automaticly changed to walk mode.

After all, everything enter does is shoot a weapon from the rope/bungee etc, and all that's been changed in teststuff is the ability to "drop" more weapons than previously allowed, such as the rope.

This doesn't make any sense. You still lose Chutes as normally I would assume, even without teststuff, chuteflare takes as many chutes as you use, chute is different to the rope, in many ways, including fd.

Why would you want to change anything on teststuff? It's teststuff, there is no correct way it should be working, it makes perfect sense how it works right now to me, anyway. The enter key is not (and I assume wasn't even planned) to be used as an alternate style to roping, it's just a way to drop weapons, and now you can also "drop" the rope, asking for a change on how this works only because you don't see it "right" in one weapon seems a bit over the top to me, again, like I said, it makes perfect sense to me as it is.

(All I do is apply common sense, this post is all speculation)

have you seen or tried chute flaring from the rope without first touching a wall? do you know it doesnt subtract chutes from stock? the initial chute wouldnt be wasting ammo but all after it would unless you attach rope again.

also its teststuff, it was designed to be played with and changed else we are limiting what can be tested and the overall playability of said function.

more test builds with wacky functions with the option to choose the test build you want to play with is the way to go...

yakuza
6 Jul 2007, 17:11
have you seen or tried chute flaring from the rope without first touching a wall? do you know it doesnt subtract chutes from stock? the initial chute wouldnt be wasting ammo but all after it would unless you attach rope again.

I was talking out of common sense, like I said, however, since the above quoting is so utterly confusing and seems to be implying things when it actually isn't, I went ahead and tested, turns out I was right. Please do not make me test stuff :-/

You're trying too hard, chute and rope are totally different. Meh.

also its teststuff, it was designed to be played with and changed else we are limiting what can be tested and the overall playability of said function.

more test builds with wacky functions with the option to choose the test build you want to play with is the way to go...

I don't know what you're talking about.

In fact, I went even further and tested it with the rope, it DOES substract ropes when you press enter, which was what I suspected all along, before bonz's post.

bonz
6 Jul 2007, 18:18
Which is exactly what happens.
True. You still shoot a new rope.
I was thinking wrong there.
Hmm.
Parachutists can stall their chute during the descent to get faster, then reopen it.
That's what it always has looked to me when I saw someone do it in Worms.
Would be fun if you could reuse the current parachute until you touch ground (or a wall maybe). :)
Nope, I'm right here.
You use the enter key a second time to detonate weapons like the mole, skunk, various sheep, super banana or salvation army while still hanging on the rope!
So it's just logical that you can use the same button to detach the rope, now that we can fire it like a selected weapon.

Cheese
6 Jul 2007, 18:51
You use the enter key a second time to detonate weapons like the mole, skunk, various sheep, super banana or salvation army while still hanging on the rope!
So it's just logical that you can use the same button to detach the rope, now that we can fire it like a selected weapon.
But I wouldn't count Jetpack, Bungee, Rope and Parachute as weapons (Two things that would specify a weapon for me is that it ends the turn and that it makes damage)

The game is designed in a way where you can use weapons while using these 'utilities'. And with Teststuff you get the ability to use weapons and utilities in rope-mid-air. And that makes it possible to shoot a rope downwards, just like it's possible to shoot a rope downwards when you fall (for example after closing the chute).
I like the ability to use weapons and utilities (does activating a jetpack in mid-air work with ts?) in mid-air. Not only the rope ;)

Don't forget that Teststuff was built to test stuff. To see how well new features work together with the game.

yakuza
6 Jul 2007, 19:41
Hmm.
Parachutists can stall their chute during the descent to get faster, then reopen it.
That's what it always has looked to me when I saw someone do it in Worms.
Would be fun if you could reuse the current parachute until you touch ground (or a wall maybe). :)

Ah I see, what you say makes sense to me, however, I think a change on that at this point wouldn't be too good.

Nope, I'm right here.

I can see your point, however I agree with what Cheese said above.

bonz
6 Jul 2007, 20:18
Don't forget that Teststuff was built to test stuff. To see how well new features work together with the game.
Yes, I know that.
I have tested it quite a lot and came to the conclusion that it's awkward to have to use the space bar to detach the rope when you could just shoot it with the enter key.
BTW, Deadcode agreed with me on that and considered changing it.

On that note, he also suggested that firing the rope downwards should be allowed again, since it's just inconvenient these days.

franpa
7 Jul 2007, 03:33
Yes, I know that.
I have tested it quite a lot and came to the conclusion that it's awkward to have to use the space bar to detach the rope when you could just shoot it with the enter key.
BTW, Deadcode agreed with me on that and considered changing it.

On that note, he also suggested that firing the rope downwards should be allowed again, since it's just inconvenient these days.

does this mean we can aim at a full 90 degree? or just execute the indian rope trick as we see fit?

bonz
8 Jul 2007, 23:23
does this mean we can aim at a full 90 degree? or just execute the indian rope trick as we see fit?
It just means what I said... :rolleyes:
You can currently aim the rope at 180° angles.
Previously in W2 you could aim it the full 360°.

franpa
8 Jul 2007, 23:44
hmm yes, i was reffering to while only facing a direction, i wasnt taking into account the fact you can turn around :P ok, that sounds groovy.

Lex
9 Jul 2007, 04:02
It just means what I said... :rolleyes:
You can currently aim the rope at 180° angles.
Previously in W2 you could aim it the full 360°.Actually, that's incorrect. In Worms 2, you can aim the rope downwards, but not the full 360°. Try it yourself.

franpa
9 Jul 2007, 04:33
hehe, yes 90° when facing either way unless /TS is enabled, which would indeed allow 360° aiming.

yakuza
9 Jul 2007, 12:38
hehe, yes 90° when facing either way unless /TS is enabled, which would indeed allow 360° aiming.

No it wouldn't, the worm turns around once he passes the 90 degrees, so he starts at 90 degrees again in a different direction, instead of, aiming the rope backwards, which is impossible no matter what you do.

Regulator
9 Jul 2007, 17:54
or just execute the indian rope trick as we see fit?

Is English your first language Franpa?
Not that you say many things gramatically incorrect, it's just the way you put things sometimes makes me wonder.

SilPho
9 Jul 2007, 20:08
There's nothing wrong with what he said there.

To add my two cents to this debate, rather than change the fundamental operation of the rope, why not allow 180 degree aiming (while facing one way) on a 6th power level?

(Note that I don't suggest the 360 degree auto turn aiming, personally I don't like it).

bonz
10 Jul 2007, 00:19
why not allow 180 degree aiming (while facing one way) on a 6th power level?
That's exactly what I meant of course. :rolleyes:

You could aim the rope in all the 360° degrees of a full circle. I was speaking of absolute angles, not ones relative to direction the worm is facing.
Right now, we can only use 180°, while you could aim in all directions in W2.

franpa
10 Jul 2007, 05:46
um, you had to (and still do) turn around to shoot it the opposite direction you face. or at least in v1.117.

yakuza
10 Jul 2007, 14:24
Right now, we can only use 180°, while you could aim in all directions in W2.

Are you sure about this? How do you do it?

Muzer
10 Jul 2007, 17:33
In Worms 2, you could only aim down to 45 degrees from horizontal

franpa
11 Jul 2007, 00:00
LOLZ i think thats true xD haha we were all wrong :)

Lex
11 Jul 2007, 08:18
Doesn't anyone listen to me? I stated that earlier (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showpost.php?p=590342&postcount=23). Gosh gosh gosh. Franpa's response after mine was nonsensical, though, so nobody other than Franpa can be blamed.

franpa
11 Jul 2007, 08:35
Actually, that's incorrect. In Worms 2, you can aim the rope downwards, but not the full 360°. Try it yourself.

you said you can aim the rope downwards, normally in a logical world, this would mean aiming down further then 45 degrees from flat horizontal.

bonz
11 Jul 2007, 09:25
you said you can aim the rope downwards, normally in a logical world, this would mean aiming down further then 45 degrees from flat horizontal.
Oh my! Sometimes I really would like the have an article about franpa's head on http://www.howstuffworks.com... :rolleyes:

Lex said this:
Actually, that's incorrect. In Worms 2, you can aim the rope downwards, but not the full 360°. Try it yourself.
And the "not the full 360°" part obviously rules out that you can aim anywhere.
And the "try it yourself" encouraged us to find out ourselves the exact angles you can aim at.

franpa
11 Jul 2007, 09:27
well obviously i overlooked the "not" several times -.-

yakuza
11 Jul 2007, 14:50
The only one confusing everyone here was Bonz, saying how you could aim in all directions and 360degree aiming in worms2.

Even after lex said it was impossible he came once again saying how you could, and that's when I asked if he was sure about it. Now franpa is getting the blame.

bonz
11 Jul 2007, 16:04
The only one confusing everyone here was Bonz, saying how you could aim in all directions and 360degree aiming in worms2.

Even after lex said it was impossible he came once again saying how you could, and that's when I asked if he was sure about it. Now franpa is getting the blame.
Hehe! I'm infallible.
Franpa has subscribed to getting the blame. With an adhesive contract obviously. ;)

Nah, seriously, since I've switched to using the "go to first post" button, I often happen to overlook that there are already posts on another page.
That was probably the cause with Lex' post. I apologize.

franpa
11 Jul 2007, 23:30
lol, i overlooked the fact im not to blame? lol im getting worse :(