PDA

View Full Version : WA vs ZoneAlarm 7 Free

soustruh
4 Mar 2007, 08:42
hi, is there anyone, who is able to configure ZoneAlarm 7 Free to work with WA/WWP? please do not post replies about different versions, the settings aren't the same... thanks a lot ;-)

franpa
4 Mar 2007, 09:48
http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=31643

after browsing the second page i came upon this... did you already check out this thread?

soustruh
4 Mar 2007, 11:03
of course, but the solutions mentioned there do not apply for ZA 7 - there is no options page called IM Security and i believe there is no way how to open certain ports at they should be open if the application is trusted...

Muzer
4 Mar 2007, 11:08
There is one good piece of advise. Don't use ZA.

soustruh
4 Mar 2007, 11:55
heh... any better idea just for inspiration? i used to have kerio (not sunbelt kerio), which fitted my needs best, but is quite hungry on system resources... and i tried others, that i do not like at all: comodo, ghostwall, jetico, look 'n stop.
it seems that i will have to go on with kerio 4.2.2 :-)

Gnork
4 Mar 2007, 12:07
heh... any better idea just for inspiration?

Use Panda Platinum Internet Security 2007 or the Kaspersky antivirus software. Both can handle adding apps to your firewall and you'll never have to worry about other antispyware, malware and antispam tools. Just buy, install and forget about security cuz you'll have the best around the world. If you have these, then there is no needs for any spybot, lavasoft or other crap. edit: this does not apply for Mcafee or Norton makrtleaders, they have crappy sluggish big software packages which slow down your pc very much.

edit: MrBunsy, i dont wanna go offtopic, but Kasper, Panda, G-Data and Nod32 beat the crap out of every other so called 'tool to fix ur pc'. You'll be safe with 1 of these 4 software apps. Tests around the net show it also. spybot, adaware etc is good if u use avg or avast but they give together less protection as to using 1 package i mentioned. Take it from a computer expert. If u dont believe me, i can send u the test reports that show u black on white. (period) I also used to have serveral apps to get rid of spyware etc (seen it all in the fight agains spyware), and its true 1 adds to the other, but they all have a hit rate between 30% and 75% (norton & mcafee find about 60-70% of the threads). The apps I mentioned can find up to 99% of unwanted threads on your system, also unknown ones (and it really works great). Spybot is really nice though... But it never finds anything anymore since im using panda, which captures it all before him >) Just pay for a GOOD antivir and don't use the free crap, my 2 cents. I do a lot of virus and spamcleaning around and most systems that are affected use the free antivir stuff or wellknown anti spywaretools. As soon as i put in a kaspersky or panda cdrom and do a scan, many spyware and malware is found which was hidden 1st. Back in time reinstalling windows was all that could be done, but even the nastiest hacker tools I've seen getting removed with it. Your last sentence is very true though... making mistakes is common to mankind.... xD

edit2: soustruh, it seems your stuff was working with kerio and now its not with za anymore? is that what I read? so why bother and even try za if you still wanna use kerio? :p

MrBunsy
4 Mar 2007, 14:52
I like Muzer's advice, I've never had anything but grief with Zone Alarm, back a long time ago when I used it, and new versions seem to be much the same.

Have you considered XP's built in firewall or a router? Both combined works wonderfully. Otherwise, did you delete and re-add the entries for WA/WWP after installing patches? I'm sure I've heard that used to work with some firewalls.

If you have these, then there is no needs for any spybot, lavasoft or other crap.Bad advice if you ask me, you'll never know what's missed if it's not been found, if you see what I mean. So long as programmes don't run in the background, you can't really have too many of 'em.

soustruh
4 Mar 2007, 17:13
Have you considered XP's built in firewall or a router? Both combined works wonderfully. Otherwise, did you delete and re-add the entries for WA/WWP after installing patches? I'm sure I've heard that used to work with some firewalls.

well, i do not like the built-in firewall as there is no easy way of monitoring the apps that use the network... i have installed ZA7 from scratch, so i added WA/WWP as new apps ;-)

I like Muzer's advice, I've never had anything but grief with Zone Alarm, back a long time ago when I used it, and new versions seem to be much the same.

i have to agree, ZA is a piece of sh t :-D in older versions i never get my FTP server to work, and in ZA7 FTP works seamlessly but i can't play WA/WWP :-P i'll go back to kerio 4.2.2 probably, as i also do not want any commercial software like Panda od Kaspersky

thanks for replies

Zentu
4 Mar 2007, 22:01
I use ZoneAlarm with worms armageddon and it works perfectly joining and hosting games with default settings. But sorry im not sure what version it is.

soustruh
5 Mar 2007, 01:22
just right click on its icon in tray and choose About... you will see ;-) and if you did this, please don't forget to mention whether you have free or pro version :-) thx