PDA

View Full Version : Quick Wind Question

SilPho
3 Mar 2007, 16:06
How does the game decide which way the wind blows on a given turn? My friends have floated some theories which until now I have dismissed, but after a game last night I'm starting to wonder.

I always assumed the wind was entirely random, but last night, whilst on the very right hand side of the map, blue wind was all I was getting, I just wondered what the chances of that were.

Does the wind have anything to do with worm placement in relation to you or something to do with your current location with relation to the map or is it entirely random?

Incidentally, if it is done by chance, what is the chance of no wind at all?

Muzer
3 Mar 2007, 18:25
Watch this space for a nanacide-worthy deadcode post, I'll be bound :p

SilPho
3 Mar 2007, 18:26
That's what I'm hoping for...

Melon
3 Mar 2007, 18:30
I also think that the wind is biased slightly depending on what side if the landscape you are on. I think it may be so you can curl your bazooka shots if you are on the edge of an island, although I have seen the wind blow out to sea in that case many times.

What I would also like to know is why does the wind never reach full power? It could in Worms 2. Was it deemed too strong?

KRD
3 Mar 2007, 18:31
That's what I'm hoping for...

It isn't what people who have gained the knowledge through endless observation are hoping for, though!

Although admittedly, knowing which direction the wind is going to blow next turn isn't nearly as valuable as knowing where the next crate will land... Oops. :eek:

What I would also like to know is why does the wind never reach full power? It could in Worms 2. Was it deemed too strong?

Most option sets used online on W2 limit the wind speed to 50%. So yah, a lot of the people over the years thought it was too strong there. Whether that was the reason T17 tamed it down for WA I don't know.

Higher possible wind speeds increase variety, though, which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. But I can't imagine many will want to have to get used to 100% wind in WA BnG after all this time.

SilPho
3 Mar 2007, 19:36
I am not interested in planning ahead in BnG matches or anything like that, my query is based on wondering why I continously had blue wind in a match last night when I was rather badly in need of red. I'm not asking for any changes to be made, just wondering if last night was a question of bad luck or unfortunate placement.

[UFP]Ghost
3 Mar 2007, 21:08
i agree i'v always pondered such when playing a BnG how does it determine wind speed :?

franpa
4 Mar 2007, 01:48
I also think that the wind is biased slightly depending on what side if the landscape you are on. I think it may be so you can curl your bazooka shots if you are on the edge of an island, although I have seen the wind blow out to sea in that case many times.

max wind in worms 2 was 127% yet setting it would get it reset to 100% during the game... i assume something similar in w:a... the bar was upgraded to allow it to show up to 127% wind strength but still only 100% is the max a scheme can have.

i think this is right o_O

Run
4 Mar 2007, 10:36
I always assumed the wind was entirely random, but last night, whilst on the very right hand side of the map, blue wind was all I was getting, I just wondered what the chances of that were.

Last year I did a load of offline tests and that was almost certainly the case (beyond all statistical doubt anyway). I pointed it out to CyberShadow in a game this january and he checked the code afterwards and confirmed it. I'm not sure if it's based on anything else and I'm not sure what the exact algorithm is, but it's definitely influenced a lot by the worm's starting position on the map.

This knowledge has occasionally been very useful in T17 games :D

Run
4 Mar 2007, 10:37
Watch this space for a nanacide-worthy deadcode post, I'll be bound :p

There was a nanacide-worthy CyberShadow post on IRC; it's already up on wahelp :P

SilPho
4 Mar 2007, 11:07
Well what do you know...

Wind

The wind on any given turn is partially determined by the position of the active worm at the start of that turn. A worm which begins its turn on the far right of the map will have a wind biased in the leftward direction, and vice versa.

Thanks to Cybershadow for posting that in the first place. (Assuming it was him)

AndrewTaylor
4 Mar 2007, 15:20
max wind in worms 2 was 127% yet setting it would get it reset to 100% during the game... i assume something similar in w:a... the bar was upgraded to allow it to show up to 127% wind strength but still only 100% is the max a scheme can have.

i think this is right o_O

I think that in W4, a random wind speed is generated, and then squared, so that higher values are possible but rarer. In W:A, though, I assume the extra 27% is to allow for 100% + the slight bias for landscape position. How larger terrains will affect this, I just don't know.

-:BoggyB:-
5 Mar 2007, 21:25
the wind is the best thing in worms witouth it enemies couldn't possibly hit you! baha