PDA

View Full Version : WormMM (Worm Map Maker)

ShootMe
26 Feb 2007, 05:37
Ive been working on this program for quite some time now, and have just recently made an effort to finish it. The program itself has only become anything of great use in the past few weeks because of my effort and help from FFie as my tester =). Because of talk of the new update this program also allows you to change the map sizing from 640 x 32 to 32760 x 32600.

I had started it off about a year ago based on the idea Jehuty came up with to make a map maker based off sprites, and has grown quite a lot since then. I have made the program to mimick a lot of the useful things I have found in Photoshop and allow it to be a viable map making program with sprite tiles. The main aspect that relates to photoshop is that every tile you place becomes its own layer seperate from all other tiles. I have added many functions(delete,copy,selection,move,merge, and position) to work with the various layers in the map. Each tile you place can also be transformed by a few aspects. You can read more here:
http://worms2d.info/WormMM

WormMM v2.51
http://www.wmdb.org/WormMM.zip or
http://www.wmdb.org/WormMMv2_51.zip

JRE 6 can be downloaded here. Needed for the program to run.
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

the download contains sprites made by me and FFie for use by anyone. If anyone else has sprites they would like to add for anyone else to download, plz send a pm =) I also suggest reading the readme for the first time.
any comments/suggestions are still welcome =)

bonz
26 Feb 2007, 08:12
Looks nice and the Photoshop-like features seem useful.
Because of talk of the new update this program also allows you to change the map sizing from 384 x 384 to 30k x 30k.
These are the new supported map sizes. You may want to adapt.
It is now possible to play on PNG maps having dimensions other than 1920×696. A cavern map may now be up to 32760 pixels wide or 32600 pixels tall; an island is limited to being 28664 wide or 30552 tall; the minimum map size is 640×32.

BigBilly
27 Feb 2007, 09:25
hey.
This programm is really really great!!
Some very usefully tools you add.
GO(O)D JOB

ShootMe
28 Feb 2007, 17:00
These are the new supported map sizes. You may want to adapt.

Originally Posted by 3.6.27.3g alpha readme
It is now possible to play on PNG maps having dimensions other than 1920×696. A cavern map may now be up to 32760 pixels wide or 32600 pixels tall; an island is limited to being 28664 wide or 30552 tall; the minimum map size is 640×32.

I went ahead and changed it to 640 x 32 and 32760 x 32600. I also made it so you can resize the program window to any size now, since it was limited to the size of the map before. The new version(1.4) has been uploaded to the link in the main post.

hey.
This programm is really really great!!
Some very usefully tools you add.
GO(O)D JOB

thank you. =)

Lex
1 Mar 2007, 01:51
Also, map dimensions must be divisible by 8. A 1921×696 map will not load in WA, but a 1928×696 map will.

franpa
1 Mar 2007, 04:53
Also, map dimensions must be divisible by 8. A 1921×696 map will not load in WA, but a 1928×696 map will.

ah, this info explains a few things :D thanks.

ShootMe
1 Mar 2007, 10:40

Ive already made sure that the map width/height are divisible by 8 in the program. Just didn't mention the feature.

Lex
1 Mar 2007, 13:45
Awesome. :) ShootMe, this really is a great effort on your part, and great for the community. Thanks a lot!

Does someone want to write an article in the Worms Knowledge Base (http://wiki.thecybershadow.net/Worms_Knowledge_Base) about WormMM, and add ShootMe to the list of developers in the Worms Armageddon article (http://wiki.thecybershadow.net/Worms_Armageddon)? If anyone's willing, please go ahead. Refer to other software articles for a layout.

ShootMe
1 Mar 2007, 22:16
Awesome. :) ShootMe, this really is a great effort on your part, and great for the community. Thanks a lot!

Thanks a lot :)

I also found a few minor bugs relating to the key shortcuts not always working because of focus problems. So I went ahead and fixed that and uploaded WormMM v1.5, you can get it at the link in the main post.

Metal Alex
1 Mar 2007, 22:21
One thing! It doesn't work for me D: It says something about not being able to start the java something... wait, I'll go check

EDIT: forget it. My copmuter is so strange that now, for no apparent reason, lets it work O_o

evilworm2
3 Mar 2007, 20:28
This was coded in Java... What the hell did you packed it in a *.exe?

I tried it running with wine, but there was an error message, complaining about missing java.

foo@kaspar:~$ java -version
java version "1.6.0"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b105)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0-b105, mixed mode, sharing)
foo@kaspar:~$

As you can see i have Java.

Exe... exe, why is everbody so keen on EXE´s?
You didn't get the idea of Java. Java is about portability.

Metal Alex
3 Mar 2007, 21:14
one thing: is there any way to place the tiles directly on a 16 x 16 grid? so blocks don't go over others :p

ShootMe
4 Mar 2007, 00:16
one thing: is there any way to place the tiles directly on a 16 x 16 grid? so blocks don't go over others :p

go to tools/set map grid size or hit ctrl+a

This was coded in Java... What the hell did you packed it in a *.exe?
As you can see i have Java.
Exe... exe, why is everbody so keen on EXE´s?
You didn't get the idea of Java. Java is about portability.

Well if you want I can send you the jar file, however unless you can set the available memory used by the VM you won't be able to do too much(let me rephrase, as long as you stay away from zoom, the most memory consuming operation, you should be able to do enough), which was why I packed it into an exe since it allowed me to set the available memory alloted.

Jar is now included in main zip.

evilworm2
4 Mar 2007, 00:22
... however unless you can set the available memory used by the VM you won't be able...

Something like this?

-Xms256m Set the initial size of the Java memory allocation pool (that is, the heap) to 256 Mbytes

-Xmx512m Set the maximum heap size to 512 Mbytes

Edit:
Thanks for the *jar, i appreciated this. :)

But...
I copied the *jar file in the directory where the exe resides, but starting it, it couldn't find the tiles.
And clicking on the wmbd.org link gave me an error: Could not start explorer oslt... ;)

ShootMe
4 Mar 2007, 00:41
Edit:
Thanks for the *jar, i appreciated this. :)

But...
I copied the *jar file in the directory where the exe resides, but starting it, it couldn't find the tiles.

I tried the same thing actually and it failed to find the tiles as well but i didnt change the directory to the folder that the jar was in, which I changed to and tried again and it worked so i suggest changing to the current directory that the jar is in and retry =)

And clicking on the wmbd.org link gave me an error: Could not start explorer oslt...

lol, yes you have Linux right? not sure how to open an internet browser in Linux or anything else really =(

MadEwokHerd
4 Mar 2007, 01:08
not sure how to open an internet browser in Linux or anything else really =(

Java fails at cross-platform. :rolleyes:

evilworm2
4 Mar 2007, 01:37
not sure how to open an internet browser in Linux or anything else really =(
Java fails at cross-platform. :rolleyes:
Use Default Browser to Open a Web Page from a Swing Application (http://www.centerkey.com/java/browser/) (works on Mac OS X, GNU/Linux, Unix (Solaris), and Windows XP.)

Ok, crossplatform is different, but it's sufficient, i think.

Edit:
Oh, btw. You can use JEditorPane (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/javax/swing/JEditorPane.html) to render HTML. I used it in Caecilian (http://wiki.thecybershadow.net/Caecilian).

And i am glad to see another skilled Java programmer here. :)

ShootMe
4 Mar 2007, 01:50
were you able to get it working evil?

evilworm2
4 Mar 2007, 02:02
were you able to get it working evil?
No, the tiles didn´ t load for me.
I guess your code for loading the images is wrong.
(I would have done a deeper research, but you didn't include the source.)

Refer this thread (http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5120286&messageID=9419902) for more information.

ShootMe
4 Mar 2007, 02:18
No, the tiles didn´ t load for me.
I guess your code for loading the images is wrong.
(I would have done a deeper research, but you didn't include the source.)

Refer this thread (http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5120286&messageID=9419902) for more information.

thats for loading images from within the jar file itself, which I did for the program icon. I also wouldn't say the coding is "wrong" since it works for me and many others, just that it needs tweaking to work across multiple platforms. I guess we could talk more about it over msn and such =)

evilworm2
4 Mar 2007, 02:28
thats for loading images from within the jar file itself, which I did for the program icon.
Your JAR file also need to load the images this way. Otherwise they will not show up.
I also wouldn't say the coding is "wrong" since it works for me and many others, just that it needs tweaking to work across multiple platforms.
It's not about multiple platforms, JAR is the usual way to distribute Java programs.
I guess we could talk more about it over msn and such =)
Don't have such programs installed. And never will. ;)

ShootMe
4 Mar 2007, 02:45
I went ahead and changed the loading of the tiles. Tell me if you can access them now =)

evilworm2
4 Mar 2007, 02:51
I went ahead and changed the loading of the tiles. Tell me if you can access them now =)

http://www.wmdb.org/WormMM_1-5.jar
Uhm.. no, sorry. They won't show up.

And speaking of cross-platform: It's better not to use ' ' (blank) in filenames.
Use '_' (underscore) instead.

ShootMe
4 Mar 2007, 02:59
Well let me ask you this when you start the program do any folders show up right under where it says tiles? like in the preview in the main post, because if they don't then it may not be an image loading problem but a path problem.

EDIT: I went ahead and changed ' ' to '_' =p

evilworm2
4 Mar 2007, 03:10
Well let me ask you this when you start the program do any folders show up right under where it says tiles?
Like this:

ShootMe
4 Mar 2007, 03:15
yea, this means that it can't find the sprites folder for some reason, either by my coding or how you loaded the jar file. In windows when I tried doing it the manual way with the command prompt, I had to change the directory tree to the directory that WormMM.jar was in to make it 'find' the sprites folder, which should be in the same directory as the jar file. eg)

WormMM/WormMM.jar
WormMM/Sprites/

this is how I loaded it manually:
c:/WormMM/>java -Xms10m -Xmx100m -jar WormMM.jar

evilworm2
4 Mar 2007, 03:19
yea, this means that it can't find the sprites folder for some reason, either by my coding or how you loaded the jar file. In windows when I tried doing it the manual way with the command prompt, I had to change the directory tree to the directory that WormMM.jar was in to make it 'find' the sprites folder, which should be in the same directory as the jar file. eg)

WormMM/WormMM.jar
WormMM/Sprites/
I loaded it directly from the directory:

foo@kaspar:~/wormMM/WormMM$ ls -l
insgesamt 516
drwxr-xr-x 2 foo foo 4096 2007-03-01 14:30 Maps
-rw-r--r-- 1 foo foo 203 2007-02-18 14:47 settings.ini
drwxr-xr-x 10 foo foo 4096 2007-03-01 14:28 Sprites
-rw-r--r-- 1 foo foo 49662 2007-03-04 04:47 WormMM_1-5.jar
-rw-r--r-- 1 foo foo 443904 2007-03-01 14:42 WormMM.exe
-rw-r--r-- 1 foo foo 5486 2007-03-01 14:41 WormMM Readme.txt

foo@kaspar:~/wormMM/WormMM$ java -jar WormMM_1-5.jar

No way...

Edit:
I am using Java 6 and you? (but that shouldn't be the problem)

ShootMe
4 Mar 2007, 03:28
I loaded it directly from the directory:

foo@kaspar:~/wormMM/WormMM$ java -jar WormMM_1-5.jar

No way...
Edit:
I am using Java 6 and you? (but that shouldn't be the problem)

i have jre 1.6.0 installed, but I used jdk 1.5.0_09 for the development. It is very weird that it doesn't work for you.

I use:
new File("Sprites")
and check if that is a directory before loading any files. So it might be that using just "sprites" wont work under your platform.

evilworm2
4 Mar 2007, 03:36
... but I used jdk 1.5.0_09 for the development.
I'd suggest you recompile your sorces with jdk 1.6.0, there were some bugfixes and improvements. It's worth a try.

Edit:
OMG! I know! A flash stroke me.

It's the way you define your path. I bet you use "path\to\images".
In Linux, it's: "path/to/images".

Use this in replacement for '\' : File.separator

File filData = new File(dirName + File.separator + filename);

Edit2:
Hmm you don`t use any backslashes, do you?
Try this:

new File("./Sprites")

Edit3:
And yes, Linux is cAsE SeNsITivE.

Edit4:
Use exception handling and debuging output.

try{
File filData = new File("Sprites");
}
catch(Exception e){
e.printStackTrace();
}

ShootMe
4 Mar 2007, 03:54
I'd suggest you recompile your sorces with jdk 1.6.0, there were some bugfixes and improvements. It's worth a try.

Edit:
OMG! I know! A flash stroke me.

It's the way you define your path. I bet you use "path\to\images".
In Linux, it's: "path/to/images".

Use this in replacement for '\' : File.separator

File filData = new File(dirName + File.separator + filename);

I went ahead and installed jdk 1.6.0 and recompiled and reuploaded the jar to the http above.

Yea i thought about that too and I don't think thats the problem, since I never actually "get" files based on path name exclusively except for "sprites" which is just "sprites" no seperators used. All other files or folders are retrived by the method .getFiles() which should use system seperators for retrevial unless its dumb, so Im still nto sure whats going on.

EDIT: Case sensitive might be the problem.
EDIT2: Try the jar now.
EDIT3: Ok I added a try/catch around the file instantiation and reuploaded

evilworm2
4 Mar 2007, 04:05
If i run it now, a JDialog pops up and says:
Error
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: Array index out of range: 0

If you click OK, the application closes.

ShootMe
4 Mar 2007, 04:21
You removed the blank.
Remember to change the link.

Running it now will throw an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException.

I did change the link in both my posts. Hmm, that was all the information given?

EDIT: ah, ok let me check out the creation of the GUI then, which is where the error occured.

EDIT2: Go ahead and retry the re-uploaded jar

evilworm2
4 Mar 2007, 04:38
Good news!
All is working fine now.
(Except the wmdb.org link and BTP, respectively ;))

Edit:
Oh yes, if i select "ReadMe File" from the help menu, your program actually uses my wine installation to show the readme in the notepad shipped with wine.
I would search an alternative, because not everyone has it installed.

Edit2:
I would add a button to reset the scale/rotation/flip/shear settings.

ShootMe
4 Mar 2007, 04:40
well its about time! ;) Im glad that it is finally working for a non-windows user =) hopefully you can give some actual suggestions about the use of the program now =)

EDIT: re download the jar and see if the browser fix works =), and yea Ill prolly just open a new window in java to show the readme =)

evilworm2
4 Mar 2007, 04:59
re download the jar and see if the browser fix works =)
It works like a charm!

ShootMe
4 Mar 2007, 05:01
Edit2:
I would add a button to reset the scale/rotation/flip/shear settings.

Sounds like a fine idea =)

EDIT: uploaded jar, is that what you were looking for? =)

evilworm2
4 Mar 2007, 05:14
Be sure to change version number to at least 8.23, since another (two? three?) supported plattform(s) is a huuuuuge improvement. ;)

ShootMe
4 Mar 2007, 05:16
Be sure to change version number to at least 8.23, since another (two? three?) supported plattform(s) is a huuuuuge improvement. ;)

lol I was gonna make it 11.11 ;) However, I will change it shortly :)

EDIT: fixed the cosmetic bug =)

evilworm2
4 Mar 2007, 05:23
Another (cosmetic) issue:
The zeros in the shear field first show up as int: 0
Then, changing the value or reseting with the new Button, they change to double or float: 0.0

lDarKl
4 Mar 2007, 15:25
"Could not find the main class. Program will exit."
Is this because Java isn't installed properly or because I'm using a PC with only 512 MB RAM? :P

ShootMe
4 Mar 2007, 16:18
"Could not find the main class. Program will exit."
Is this because Java isn't installed properly or because I'm using a PC with only 512 MB RAM? :P

look at post below.

Muzer
4 Mar 2007, 18:55
Happened with me. Turned out I had forgotten to install JRE on my last reformat.

ShootMe
5 Mar 2007, 05:51
alright, I just fixed a major bug with the undo/redo operation and delete, causing me to get rid of the option to set how many undo/redo's will be kept in the history and just keep them all. This bug will be worked on and in the future the option for setting the amount of undo/redo's will come back. I also made it so the link to the readme file does not depend on platform. I also went ahead and got rid of the use of the exe, so it now uses the jar file, and added a .bat file for windows users to go along with the jar file, not sure what to add for other users other than what I put in the readme explaining the use of the jar file. I also added a few more sprite tiles.

ShootMe
7 Mar 2007, 05:17
Soon to be coming out v1.8, updates include:
Changes:
Ability to copy/paste images from other programs to this one and vice versa.
File menu now has options save, save as, save layers, save layers as. This way you dont have to always select the file to save to if you have already saved or opened a map.

Fixes:
Bug dealing with undo/redo and delete.

If anyone else has any other suggestions they would be welcomed.

lDarKl
7 Mar 2007, 11:41
Okay, now it's working.. (d'oh!)
Great program, like it a lot. :)

ShootMe
8 Mar 2007, 04:39
Okay, now it's working.. (d'oh!)
Great program, like it a lot. :)

glad you like it :)

WormMM V1.8 is now out :)

Ive edited/added a few more sprites.
Here is part of what I added to my own tileset. Allowed it to be a little more squiggly :)
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/931/newte5.png

Known issues with new feature copy/paste:

When using ctrl+c all selected layers will be put as one image into the clipboard. If a selected layer's green selection box does not enclose all of the image, the copied image in the clipboard may be cliped, depending on if it's the only layer selected or if other layers are selected then it depends on where those are located.

If this occurs a solution is to use ctrl+shift+c, which will start the selection tool and when you end it, that entire region will be put into the clipboard.

ctrl+v will make whatever image is in the clipboard as the tile to be placed.

I did fix the bug with undo/redo and delete so the option to set the history amount is back.

If you have any other suggestions plz ask :)

And as Muzer said you will need the latest java runtime to use the program, which can be downloaded here under JRE 6
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

ShootMe
11 Mar 2007, 06:51
WormMM V1.9 is now out :)

Updates Include:
Lots of minor fixes to the program.

Added the ability to hold ctrl down while selecting to keep the current selection and add any new selection.

Changed the way it draws the layers, as before it would draw every layer no matter what(which is slow with > 5k layers). So now I check what layers are within your viewing window and only draw those. It does show an improvement in speed.

Made it so the last opened layered file will be automaticlly opened on next startup of program.

Also Updated is new sonic tiles, here is a preview of something I put together for it. This preview is also included as an example layered map in the maps folder.
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/774/newms7.png

I like the look of it a lot.

As always any suggestions are welcome, and Id love to see what you guys are doing with the program :)

ShootMe
13 Mar 2007, 22:41
WormMM V1.95 is out

Quick update. Fixed a few bugs, major one dealing with opening png,bmp images.

Melon
15 Mar 2007, 23:08
Really nice program here.

I haven't had that long to check it out fully, but I will do at some point.

One time I tried to make a platform game but discontinued it. I may rip my sprites out of it and make a map from it. Nobody will know where they come from, but I don't care.

And I may make a Ducks one too. I have the tile sets for them, but I'll need to convert them first.

-EDIT- Did a quick test with a few of my tiles done so far. The png file is OK, but Worms Armageddon can't use it and it comes up with 'error opening file'. I wonder why? I'll try again tomorrow, maybe it's my tiles/sprites.

ShootMe
15 Mar 2007, 23:59
Really nice program here.

I haven't had that long to check it out fully, but I will do at some point.

One time I tried to make a platform game but discontinued it. I may rip my sprites out of it and make a map from it. Nobody will know where they come from, but I don't care.

And I may make a Ducks one too. I have the tile sets for them, but I'll need to convert them first.

Thank you, and that sounds very cool :)

-EDIT- Did a quick test with a few of my tiles done so far. The png file is OK, but Worms Armageddon can't use it and it comes up with 'error opening file'. I wonder why? I'll try again tomorrow, maybe it's my tiles/sprites.

nah its not your sprites, I tell you in the readme that it saves the maps in 24bit format. So you will need to convert it to indexed format youself, or if you are lazy you can save it as a bmp by typing .bmp for the extension when doing "Save Image" and import in WA. I save it as 24 bit mainly because it takes a lot of work to convert it to indexed if there are alot of colors, and photoshop has a very good color reduction tool. =)

Melon
18 Mar 2007, 17:12
After changing it to palette mode in IrfanView, the maps work fine. The program's great, and it doesn't need much improving, but if I was the picky type and had a wish list for it, it would be as follows:

The bottom scroll bar doesn't fit onto the screen very well, I can only see the top half of it and although it's not much of a problem, it would be good if it were fixed. The one that's lets you scroll the map sideways. (now fixed)
I gave some of my sprites long names, and I can't see all of the name in the bar on the side. The bar let's me resize it's height, but not it's width. It would be cool if I could resize both. (now implemented)
Automattically save maps as 112 colour indexed .PNGs. I understand why you don't do this, but it would be cool if it could be done. (now implemented)
I've set the grid size to 20 in the .INI file, but the mouse still jumps at intervals of 4. Maybe it's suposed to do this, but it'd be quicker for me if it always snapped to the 20x20 grid. (now fixed)
Allow sprites to be selected from sprite sheets. All of my sprites were in sprite sheet form for the benefit of Game Maker. I've seperated each tile into a seperate image for one tile set, but it would be great if I could pick them directly from the sprite sheet. I'm sure this would be quite difficult and unneccesary work for you, but it'd be cool none the less.
Allow another colour to be chosen as transparent on my sprites. At the moment, all of the sprites need to actually be transparent if they are to show up transparent in the program. Letting me choose another colour, like magenta (255,0,255) would be ace. It'd save me even more work converting them to the right format for the program. But again, this is totally unneccesary. and not crucial.

Again, I'm only saying this because I'm cheeky and ungrateful and in no way am I expecting any of it to be done.

Oh yeah, I wrote a tiny amount of information about it in the Worms Knowlege Base wiki too.

-EDIT- The grid thing is actually working fine if I set it inside the program rather than in the .INI file. Seems that it kept reverting it back to 4. Works like a charm now.

ShootMe
18 Mar 2007, 20:16
The bottom scroll bar doesn't fit onto the screen very well, I can only see the top half of it and although it's not much of a problem, it would be good if it were fixed. The one that's lets you scroll the map sideways.

Hmm, could you attach a screenshot?

I gave some of my sprites long names, and I can't see all of the name in the bar on the side. The bar let's me resize it's height, but not it's width. It would be cool if I could resize both.

This could come about in an update soon. Need to work out a few bugs with the GUI first to make it happen.

I've set the grid size to 20 in the .INI file, but the mouse still jumps at intervals of 4. Maybe it's suposed to do this, but it'd be quicker for me if it always snapped to the 20x20 grid.

Yes I see the problem, and I should have a fix for it soon. The reason why this is happening is because it is automaticlly opening the last saved/opened wmm file, and when it opens a wmm file it will change the gridsize to the size last saved in the wmm file. If that makes any sense, so changing the number in the ini file wont have any effect if it opens a wmm file on the load of the program.

EDIT: This would also be true with mapwidth/height and bg grid size. I may actually get rid of those in the ini file or have an option in the ini file that turns off/on the automatic loading of the last wmm file.
Allow sprites to be selected from sprite sheets. All of my sprites were in sprite sheet form for the benefit of Game Maker. I've seperated each tile into a seperate image for one tile set, but it would be great if I could pick them directly from the sprite sheet. I'm sure this would be quite difficult and unneccesary work for you, but it'd be cool none the less.

Allow another colour to be chosen as transparent on my sprites. At the moment, all of the sprites need to actually be transparent if they are to show up transparent in the program. Letting me choose another colour, like magenta (255,0,255) would be ace. It'd save me even more work converting them to the right format for the program. But again, this is totally unneccesary. and not crucial.

I could add an optional tool to work with sprite sheets. It shouldnt be to hard actually just more coding :)

Oh yeah, I wrote a tiny amount of information about it in the Worms Knowlege Base wiki too.

Cool, and thanks.

Melon
19 Mar 2007, 17:38
Hmm, could you attach a screenshot?
Oh yeah I meant to do this yesterday. Here's a screenshot of the problem. Notice that the bar is only half-visible. It appears to be a problem with where it is positioning itself. Regardless of what size I make the window, the problem is the same.

ShootMe
20 Mar 2007, 03:50
WormMM V2.05 is out

Updates:

Added the ability to dynamiclly change the tile/layer list's sizes.

Got rid of the options to set mapWidth/height gridSize/bgGridSize in the settings.ini file as they are in any saved wmm file.

Not sure about Melon's problem with scrollbar sizing, but tell me if the problem still continues in this update.

Added the option to save the image file as WA indexed format when doing "Save Image As".
The color reduction method is a diversity algorithm that does the job quite nicely. It may still have some bugs, but I havent come across any yet.

*NOTE* This update changes the use of the mouse wheel. It now scroll the map up/down and if ctrl is held down will scroll left/right. Use the menu's to zoom now or numpad + and -

I haven't had the time to add the sprite tool yet, but it should be coming soon. :) And I hope you're glad I went ahead and added the option to save the image in indexed format, took a while to figure out. :)

Melon
20 Mar 2007, 10:15
Fantastic update!

The scroll bar problem still exists, but it's less severe than before. It's only missing about 4 pixels off the bottom, but it's much easier to move than before.

The saving in index form seems perfect. In fact, it seemed identical to the .png that I get from Irfanview when I did it manually, with the added bonus that the background colour is pure black so I don't need to change it (Irfanview makes it (4,2,2 for some reason). It happened to be about 10k bigger than the Irfanview png, but seeing as they've been doing that for years, I'll let you off. ;)

The resizing of the tile bar is fab too. Thanks a lot for that. In fact, I'm impressed. I wasn't expecting any of my suggestions to be implemented so I'm well chuffed! Thanks loads. I'll be sure to stick my map on here when I've finished it.

I'd better go change the wiki entry.

ShootMe
20 Mar 2007, 15:31
The scroll bar problem still exists, but it's less severe than before. It's only missing about 4 pixels off the bottom, but it's much easier to move than before.

I'll have to figure out why it works perfectly for me and nto you :( I think I know why just not completly sure.

The saving in index form seems perfect. In fact, it seemed identical to the .png that I get from Irfanview when I did it manually, with the added bonus that the background colour is pure black so I don't need to change it (Irfanview makes it (4,2,2 for some reason). It happened to be about 10k bigger than the Irfanview png, but seeing as they've been doing that for years, I'll let you off. ;)

:) Yeah I was quite happy with my implementation of the reduction method. Seemed to be as good or almost as good(very hard to tell the difference) as when I did it with photoshop, but like you said was about 10k larger :)

The resizing of the tile bar is fab too. Thanks a lot for that. In fact, I'm impressed. I wasn't expecting any of my suggestions to be implemented so I'm well chuffed! Thanks loads. I'll be sure to stick my map on here when I've finished it.

I'd better go change the wiki entry.

No problem, I'm happy to help make things easyier as much as I can.

evilworm2
20 Mar 2007, 15:34
I'll have to figure out why it works perfectly for me and nto you :( I think I know why just not completly sure.

Try to add

try {
UIManager.setLookAndFeel( UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName() );
} catch( Exception e ) {}

before you startup you Gui code.

ShootMe
20 Mar 2007, 15:38
Try to add

try {
UIManager.setLookAndFeel( UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName() );
} catch( Exception e ) {}

before you startup you Gui code.

Yea, thats what I figured after he still had a problem after update was that the default look and feel was casuing the problem :)

Squirminator2k
20 Mar 2007, 15:54
ShootMe: I'd love to make this app available for download from Dream17, assuming you're okay with that.

ShootMe
20 Mar 2007, 16:04
ShootMe: I'd love to make this app available for download from Dream17, assuming you're okay with that.

Sounds fine to me :)

Melon
20 Mar 2007, 19:30
Well I said I'd post it so here it is:
The Hoppa-Shoppa cave (http://www.kieranmillar.com/wa/hoppashoppacave.png)
That's what I've been working on using this program. It started off as a tester map really, but I carried it on, and now I suppose it's more suited for a Shoppa. I guess I shouldn't really design maps with no purpose behind them but it was a test. Should I put it up on wmdb.org do you think?

In case anybody cares, the graphics come from a platform game I was going to make once called Ledgehopper, but discontinued. I made them all myself, except for the lava which I pinched from Lemmings and the fireball and spark monsters which I pinched from Jazz Jackrabbit.

I doubt anybody would really want those sprites but I've got them if you do...

ShootMe
20 Mar 2007, 20:25
Well I said I'd post it so here it is:
The Hoppa-Shoppa cave (http://www.kieranmillar.com/wa/hoppashoppacave.png)
That's what I've been working on using this program. It started off as a tester map really, but I carried it on, and now I suppose it's more suited for a Shoppa. I guess I shouldn't really design maps with no purpose behind them but it was a test. Should I put it up on wmdb.org do you think?

In case anybody cares, the graphics come from a platform game I was going to make once called Ledgehopper, but discontinued. I made them all myself, except for the lava which I pinched from Lemmings and the fireball and spark monsters which I pinched from Jazz Jackrabbit.

I doubt anybody would really want those sprites but I've got them if you do...

Looks nice :) One suggestion for the set would be to change the color of the land to something a little more colorful, and I would think it would be quite nice. ;) And I would love to have the sprite set as well :), but anyways.

WormMM V2.10 is out

Fixed your scroll bar problem finally :)

Fixed a bug in the indexed algorithm. The previous version did not take into account for images that had an opacity less than 100%. All fixed now (hopefully) :)

evilworm2
20 Mar 2007, 20:30
All fixed now (hopefully) :)
You interchanged FlipX and FlipY. ;)

Melon
20 Mar 2007, 22:27
Looks nice :) One suggestion for the set would be to change the color of the land to something a little more colorful, and I would think it would be quite nice. ;) And I would love to have the sprite set as well :), but anyways.

Well if you want it I'll attach it to this post. You're going to need to make a ledgehopper folder inside your sprite folder then extract them into that. For some reason it doesn't want to add ledgehopper to the front of the file paths.
The sprites are pretty samey because I never really finished them, seeing as the project was abandoned. I was planning to add more slightly different tiles at some point, maybe I'll do it one day.

If you're interested, you could see screenshots and stuff here (http://www.kieranmillar.com/ledgehopper/ledgehopper.html).

WormMM V2.10 is out
http://www.wmdb.org/WormMM.zip 1.52Mbytes

Fixed your scroll bar problem finally :)

Fixed a bug in the indexed algorithm. The previous version did not take into account for images that had an opacity less than 100%. All fixed now (hopefully) :)

Yep, the bar is fixed now. Hurrah!

I'd like somebody to make sprites of the weapon icons as they appear in the inventory for walk for weapons maps. That would be cool. Maybe one day I'll make general worms sprites from my collection of worms sprites.

ShootMe
20 Mar 2007, 22:39
You interchanged FlipX and FlipY. ;)
Scared me for a second! :p

Well if you want it I'll attach it to this post. You're going to need to make a ledgehopper folder inside your sprite folder then extract them into that. For some reason it doesn't want to add ledgehopper to the front of the file paths.
The sprites are pretty samey because I never really finished them, seeing as the project was abandoned. I was planning to add more slightly different tiles at some point, maybe I'll do it one day.

If you're interested, you could see screenshots and stuff here (http://www.kieranmillar.com/ledgehopper/ledgehopper.html).

Yep, the bar is fixed now. Hurrah!

I'd like somebody to make sprites of the weapon icons as they appear in the inventory for walk for weapons maps. That would be cool. Maybe one day I'll make general worms sprites from my collection of worms sprites.

Cool stuff :), I have already made some custom wfw weapon images for both my own tileset WormLand, and the tetris tileset that are included.

ShootMe
21 Mar 2007, 01:09
WormMM v2.15 is out now.

Sorry for all these small updates :(.

Fixed a few more bugs in the color indexing algorithm. Works like it should now (better,faster,stronger :)).
I also added an input box to select the maximum amount of colors it should reduce to from 2,112.

Lex
21 Mar 2007, 21:33
Small updates are awesome. Keep it up! :D

ShootMe
22 Mar 2007, 00:29
Small updates are awesome. Keep it up! :D

Melon, the following update will include an option to import images from a sprite sheet. The way I think I will implement it is to have you choose one or more colors to be transparent and then just to search for images by detecting the edges of nontransparent pixels, and then just save each detected image and display them in the tile list once imported. If you have any other ideas on how you would like it done plz post them :) as I havent started this yet, but will soon.

EDIT: WormMM v2.20 is out, not realated to text above.

had to update again, was messing around with the indexing algorithm to make it better and I must have had an epifiany because it works far better now, even at lower color amounts, which was the main drawback to the older versions, but even at higher color values its still much better, so now you can save it at 64 colors and not worry about it looking bad and it not screwing up the colors in WA.

Melon
24 Mar 2007, 16:56
Melon, the following update will include an option to import images from a sprite sheet. The way I think I will implement it is to have you choose one or more colors to be transparent and then just to search for images by detecting the edges of nontransparent pixels, and then just save each detected image and display them in the tile list once imported. If you have any other ideas on how you would like it done plz post them :) as I havent started this yet, but will soon.

Sounds great. Luckily for me, all of my tiles in the sprite sheets have a border around them, so this would work, and save me loads of effort. I can imagine it not working so well if they didn't have a border around them, but as I'm using tiles which can be completely filled squares and not necessarily sprites, I don't think that problem would apply to everybody.

Keep it up. Non-essential updates with new features are always a good thing. Just look at W:A itself.

ShootMe
26 Mar 2007, 03:27
WormMM v2.30 is out

updates:
slight change to indexing algorithm

added the ability to import images from a sprite sheet. To use this option the sprite sheet must either have images with a border around them or no border at all but space in between them. Using ctrl+t will bring up the dialog to pick the sprite sheet image which can be png,bmp,or gif. Then it will display this sheet and ask you to pick the transparent color by clicking on the sheet where that color is. It will then ask if the tiles have borders around them or not. The final result should be all the images in the tile list. As example with borders you have this sheet:
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/1799/78042201jh8.png
and you select the green color as transparent and select borders. you will get 3 images in the tile list like this:
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/8747/84943982vs6.png

as example without borders you have this sheet:
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8330/95078588fq3.png
you should get 5 images that look like this:
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6766/72851129am2.png

it doesn't work perfectly but it should get most or all of the images in the sheet if its set up right. Also soon to be updated is the option to then export the seperated images.

[UFP]Ghost
26 Mar 2007, 04:39
Dude ftlog add version numbers to the zips.

franpa
26 Mar 2007, 04:45
Ghost;570512']Dude ftlog add version numbers to the zips.

set your broser up to download files each time and not to download from its cache... or better yet, empty your cache each time you download.

ShootMe
27 Mar 2007, 06:59
WormMM v2.35 is now out :)

updates:
Fixed a few bugs with the no border import feature on sprite sheets.
Added an option to select how big the detetced images must be to keep.
Added the option to then save the imported images to a directory.

Soon to come:
Ability to edit an individual layer with a drawing tool.
Add an option to make all images in tile list a sprite sheet to conserve space.
Try and make import sprite sheet with borders a tad better.
Any other suggestions you guys might have! :)

evilworm2
27 Mar 2007, 16:31
Soon to come:
Keep up the good work!
Nice to see that you keep on coding this wonderful piece of software.

Mine gets abandonware after a few days... lol ;)

Good luck for your plans. :D

ShootMe
31 Mar 2007, 05:26
Keep up the good work!
Nice to see that you keep on coding this wonderful piece of software.

Mine gets abandonware after a few days... lol ;)

Good luck for your plans. :D

Thanks evilworm :)

WormMM v2.40 is out

Updates:
Lots of minor fixes to the program.
Added the ability to export all images in tile list to a simple sprite sheet.

In progress:
Ability to edit a layer.

ShootMe
27 Apr 2007, 00:28
WormMM v2.46 is now out

Sorry for not updating for so long, but I haven't had much of any time to work on this for the past couple weeks, and this update isn't much of an update. I added a few more options to the color reduction giving a few more ways to reduce the image so you can try to get the best look. I will have some time here in the next week or so to try and add the ability to edit a layer with a drawing tool, so not all hope is lost :).

franpa
27 Apr 2007, 02:06
you have considered this, havnt you? the ability to draw on it and the ability to draw lines and also a snap to grid feature... and the ability to adjust the colours of the pallete from a selection of all 256 colours.

ShootMe
27 Apr 2007, 02:20
you have considered this, havnt you? the ability to draw on it and the ability to draw lines

If you read the post above I mention just that.

and also a snap to grid feature...

Already a feature as you can set the grid size from anywhere from 1(no grid in a sense) to 256

and the ability to adjust the colours of the pallete from a selection of all 256 colours.

This might happen as I have thought of doing this however it would take a lot to put together, so if I get a lot of time soon it could happen.

franpa
27 Apr 2007, 02:30
ok, thank you :)
Ability to edit an individual layer with a drawing tool.
is this what you are talking about?

Akaken
28 Apr 2007, 15:02
The maps don't load for me :( I don't know if I'm not saving in the right place or what. I saved as PNG in SavedLevels and tried to load but it gave me a load Error. I really want to use my map. And also, it'd be cool to have a colour counter. So you can see how many colours you have used.

Melon
28 Apr 2007, 15:18
If your map is work in progress, save it as a .wmm, not a .png.

This programwon't load your maps in png form. Basically, work with .wmm until you are ready to export a version that WA can use.

@ ShootMe. Apologies for not testing the sprite sheet feature I requested a while back. I'd changed my hard drive and forgot about this. I'll try it now and let you know what I think.

-EDIT- Hmmm... I guess my tile image isn't really the same as normal sprite sheets. I don't think it likes my tile image. I'll attach it so you can see what mine is like. It seems to come out with all sorts of strange tiles.

-EDIT2- Oh OK, I was selecting yes to a border, when it doesn't really work like that. I'll make the border transparent and try it again. I'll upload that one.

-EDIT3- Ouch. 100% CPU usage, and the program doesn't appear to be doing anything (well, obviously it is doing SOMETHING.)

-EDIT4- OK, I got it working. It seems I need a transparent border around the entire image. It works like a charm now. Top stuff. Got rid of the upload.

ShootMe
28 Apr 2007, 20:44
The maps don't load for me :( I don't know if I'm not saving in the right place or what. I saved as PNG in SavedLevels and tried to load but it gave me a load Error. I really want to use my map. And also, it'd be cool to have a colour counter. So you can see how many colours you have used.

If you have the latest version of WormMM just do "Save Image As" and select to index it. Cause if you don't the program saves the image as true RGB format and WA can't load those types of images. They must be indexed with a maximum of 113 colors. And when you choose to index the image, the program will give you a count of how many colors have been used.

If your map is work in progress, save it as a .wmm, not a .png.
Very true =)

This programwon't load your maps in png form. Basically, work with .wmm until you are ready to export a version that WA can use.

The program should be able to open up any png image. The problem with Akaken was trying to load the map in WA, which he couldn't since he tried loading a true color image not indexed.

@ ShootMe. Apologies for not testing the sprite sheet feature I requested a while back. I'd changed my hard drive and forgot about this. I'll try it now and let you know what I think.

-EDIT- Hmmm... I guess my tile image isn't really the same as normal sprite sheets. I don't think it likes my tile image. I'll attach it so you can see what mine is like. It seems to come out with all sorts of strange tiles.

-EDIT2- Oh OK, I was selecting yes to a border, when it doesn't really work like that. I'll make the border transparent and try it again. I'll upload that one.

-EDIT3- Ouch. 100% CPU usage, and the program doesn't appear to be doing anything (well, obviously it is doing SOMETHING.)

-EDIT4- OK, I got it working. It seems I need a transparent border around the entire image. It works like a charm now. Top stuff. Got rid of the upload.

Yeah, the sprite loader isn't perfect as I said earlier =). The border doesnt need to be transparent. Really it just needs to be all one color. Like the image below.

xJoEx
28 Apr 2007, 22:06
Very nice program, ShootMe! :D Awesome that you can make big maps with this, cause my computer is too slow to draw big maps in other programs like Photoshop.

A few suggestions (maybe it's already possible to do these things, but I haven't figured out how), if you're still working on it!

1. It would be nice if you could hold down CTRL while moving the arrows around. What I mean, is if you press CTRL and hold down, each box below where you started, until you let go of down, would get the selected sprite copied into it. This way you wouldn't have to click over and over again, making sure to get it to snap into the right box, when drawing lines with pipes, for example. And holding CTRL+down+left, for example, could make a diagonal line (automatically rotating the sprite -45 degrees, even?)

2. It's hard to rotate things to a precise angle (eg. 90 degrees). The closest to 90 I could get was 92. You should be able to type your rotation angle into that box, or have some common preset angles you can click on.

3. Add in a sprite of a regular line, which would be useful for RR making and probably other things.

Also, it's weird but some of the sprite sets don't show up in WormMM for me. I got super mario land 3 to work, but not some others like WormLand.

Thanks for this program man, it's awesome :)

ShootMe
29 Apr 2007, 01:03
Very nice program, ShootMe! :D Awesome that you can make big maps with this, cause my computer is too slow to draw big maps in other programs like Photoshop.

A few suggestions (maybe it's already possible to do these things, but I haven't figured out how), if you're still working on it!
Thanks, I appreciate it :)

1. It would be nice if you could hold down CTRL while moving the arrows around. What I mean, is if you press CTRL and hold down, each box below where you started, until you let go of down, would get the selected sprite copied into it. This way you wouldn't have to click over and over again, making sure to get it to snap into the right box, when drawing lines with pipes, for example. And holding CTRL+down+left, for example, could make a diagonal line (automatically rotating the sprite -45 degrees, even?)
Not quite sure what you mean by this.

2. It's hard to rotate things to a precise angle (eg. 90 degrees). The closest to 90 I could get was 92. You should be able to type your rotation angle into that box, or have some common preset angles you can click on.
I mention this breifly in the readme. To get more precision with the sliders just have the mouse pointer over the slider and use the mouse wheel. Doing this you can get any angle.

3. Add in a sprite of a regular line, which would be useful for RR making and probably other things.
Drawing tools should be coming out when I get some more time on my hands.

Also, it's weird but some of the sprite sets don't show up in WormMM for me. I got super mario land 3 to work, but not some others like WormLand.
I've enocountered this problem before, but it hasn't come up in a while, but I've reuploaded a slightly different version and it should fix your problem. If it doesn't plz give me some more info.

Muzer
29 Apr 2007, 08:57
He means, if you have a sprite selected, and you pressed for example Ctrl+Down, the sprite would be copied in to the grid square below it/below the original sprite (it should be an option which), and then the grid square below that/below that sprite, etc etc, the same would work with ctrl+right, ctrl+up and ctrl+left. It could even work with diagonals (eg ctrl+down+left) and automatically rotate the sprite the required amount to join on.

Melon
29 Apr 2007, 12:30
You see, the problem with my tile set was that the border wasn't all one colour. I used magenta for the transparent colour, and not all of my tiles were surrounded by it, and so it didn't covert properly. What I did was increase the size of my image by 1 pixel along each edge and coloured it magenta. The tiles extracted perfectly then. I managed to upload all my tilesets in under 5 minutes (including adding the border). The one before took me over an hour doing it myself. Therefore, it's been incredibly useful. Thanks very much for it.

I agree with xJoex. What I might suggest instead is that if you click to place a tile, and hold and drag the mouse cursor, it will "tile" that sprite in all the grid squares you drag your mouse over. Because when I made that cave map, I had to click over and over again on each tile to fill up the gaps, and probably did 50 clicks to fill in some areas. If I could just place them all in an area automatically, it would take less than 5 seconds, rather than over a minute.

But again, this isn't required, it's still a great program otherwise. Good work.

ShootMe
29 Apr 2007, 18:46
He means, if you have a sprite selected, and you pressed for example Ctrl+Down, the sprite would be copied in to the grid square below it/below the original sprite (it should be an option which), and then the grid square below that/below that sprite, etc etc, the same would work with ctrl+right, ctrl+up and ctrl+left. It could even work with diagonals (eg ctrl+down+left) and automatically rotate the sprite the required amount to join on.

ah now I understand. Thanks Muzer :), this doesn't sound too hard to do. Ill try and work on this some time this week.

I agree with xJoex. What I might suggest instead is that if you click to place a tile, and hold and drag the mouse cursor, it will "tile" that sprite in all the grid squares you drag your mouse over. Because when I made that cave map, I had to click over and over again on each tile to fill up the gaps, and probably did 50 clicks to fill in some areas. If I could just place them all in an area automatically, it would take less than 5 seconds, rather than over a minute.

But again, this isn't required, it's still a great program otherwise. Good work.
I already have an option to automaticly place a tile over and over again at each new grid square if you hold and drag the mouse. Its under options or ctrl+d. His way might give a little more control over the placing though, so I do think I will add it in.

xJoEx
30 Apr 2007, 06:08
Hey ShootMe
Thanks for the updated version. It now makes all of the sprites show up, but there's still a problem: it defaultly selects the first sprite in the list, and I can't change it to another one further down in the list. So I can use the first sprite in every folder/category thing, basically. (except for super mario 3, where they all work for some reason).

I tried the mouse holding-down Ctrl-D trick, which is very handy. Hadn't noticed it before.

Maybe it would make for nicer looking mouse-drawn things if it wasn't possible for the tiles to overlap/become spaced when the mouse is moved too fast. The next tile could be placed in the closest gridsquare to where the mouse passed through the last tile, or just at the edge of the last sprite, ignoring the grid.

I'm very excited to hear that you're planning to implement the ctrl+keyboard drawing feature! It will make it that much easier to fill one of them new-gen big maps. I'm sure we'll be seeing more and more maps made with WormMM in the near future.

Or, you could integrate the keyboard + mouse drawing features... the mouse would move freely unless Ctrl was held down, in which case it would draw a straight line or 45 degree angle in whichever direction the mouse was moving. Possibly, when using the ctrl-straight line option, the sprites could rotate to fit together even... since I'm sure it would be too tricky to program the rotating + fitting together for freeform mouse drawing.

Another way to do it would be to make a Shift+Click line-drawing tool, where the sprites could make a line from the start-point to where you clicked, possibly using some complicated math to make them all rotate based on the angle of the line. This would be neat since it would discourage people's maps from being made with all 90 and 45 degree angles.

Please ignore most of what I've written... I got carried away in all my super complicated ideas!

All in all a very awesome program.. great work!

ShootMe
30 Apr 2007, 13:57
WormMM v2.47

This one should finally fix your problem with loading the sprites :)

Hopefully I will get some time to work on the other things you have suggested.

xJoEx
30 Apr 2007, 19:00
Yay, that fixed it! Thanks :D

ShootMe
2 May 2007, 05:49
WormMM v2.50 is now out

Updates:
1. Added the ability to use ctrl+arrow to place new tile in that arrow direction.
2. Change to drag & place, anytime you place multiple tiles when dragging the mouse, you will now be able to use undo/redo to undo/redo all added tiles, instead of just one at a time.
3. Added the ability to minimize/maximize the Tiles&Layers window. Just click on the arrow in the red boxed region below.
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/3538/newqt6.png

When Time Presents:
1. Add some simple drawing tools(pencil and line).
2. Add a way to draw a line of the selected tile from one selected point to another.
3. Anything I missed from your suggestions :)

When A Lot of Time Presents:
1. Totally re-code WormMM. The current code is very messy and I am ashamed by it :(. I would much like to re-code it to a much better standard that way I can come back to it at any time and not have to worry about how I coded everything.

arcticworm
2 May 2007, 13:21
Whoa, nice!

BigBilly
2 May 2007, 13:33
Hard working man you are :D

gewd jub again.

ShootMe
3 May 2007, 02:59
WormMM v2.51 is now out
http://www.wmdb.org/WormMM.zip or
http://www.wmdb.org/WormMMv2_51.zip

Update:
Changed the way ctrl+arrow places the next tile. In v2.50 it would place at each new grid spacing, now it will place according to the size of the currently selected tile. So if the grid size is at 8 and your tile is 16x16 using ctrl+arrow will place each new tile with spacing of 16x16

xJoEx
3 May 2007, 07:03
Pretty damned sweet! You release these new versions almost as fast as my slow computer can extract them ;]

If anyone's making a Sonic themed map, there are a TON of level-sprites on this site: http://www.themysticalforestzone.com/Kajin/sprites/Sonic%20Sprites/unfolderd/Sonic5.htm . (Most of the game-sprites I've found on the internet are limited to the characters and sometimes weapons and stuff.)

castun
8 May 2007, 22:06
Hi, I'm using v2.51. One of the minor annoyances I'm experiencing is that when adjusting the slider for sprite rotation, I can't get an exact 90' or 270' rotation. I'm also unable to click inside the box and manually change the numbers.

Any ideas?

EDIT : Found out that left clicking on the bar itself instead of dragging the slider button changes it in increments of 1. However, it would be a nice feature in a future version to be able to put in the amount by clicking in the box and entering the number by keyboard.

ShootMe
9 May 2007, 04:17
Hi, I'm using v2.51. One of the minor annoyances I'm experiencing is that when adjusting the slider for sprite rotation, I can't get an exact 90' or 270' rotation. I'm also unable to click inside the box and manually change the numbers.

Any ideas?

EDIT : Found out that left clicking on the bar itself instead of dragging the slider button changes it in increments of 1. However, it would be a nice feature in a future version to be able to put in the amount by clicking in the box and entering the number by keyboard.

:) this was brought up on the last page. I mention it breifly as well in the readme. If you use your mouse wheel when your mouse is over the slider you can increment by 1. I don't have any plans to make the text boxes user controlled, they are there meerly for visual stimuli.

However, if you have any other suggestions plz feel free to ask. I've kind of run into a wall right now with further updates because the current code needs to be updated, which I will eventually get to. I just cringe at the thought of doing it, and need a push. :)

Melon
9 May 2007, 11:08
Here you go.

Muzer
9 May 2007, 17:10
lol .

ShootMe
11 May 2007, 20:12
Here you go.

I said push not kill! ;)

SquirlMast
24 May 2007, 02:45
HI, I've just made a map with the WMM v2.51, and when I went to test it, it told me there was an "error loading map".

When I saved the PNG, it asked me if I wanted to save in the WA Indexed format or not, I chose no, and W:A gave me the error. When I went back into the program and chose to save it as Indexed, it won't even create a file, neither BMP or PNG!! It will only create a file when I choose to not index it.

WTF do I do?

I'm using W:A 3.6.26.5 and WinXP

Edit: OK, I thought I found the problem, but now its just odd. When I tried running the program last, I just ran the JAR file straight up, and it wouldn't save a file let alone ask me what colors to pick etc. Soooo I ran the BAT file and it will now ask me how many colors I want to save it in, and what method to use, yada-yada, but every file it saves is blank, nothing but black. It said something like, "Matched 88.022something percent colors"

WTH is wrong here, The map I was saving was only using 32 colors, so I said to save it in 32 colors, and I tried all 4 saving methods but they all churn out black maps. I even tried 113 colors to no avail. I'm getting frustrated here!!

ShootMe
24 May 2007, 04:45
You should always open the program from the bat file. I'm not quite sure what's going on in your situation. When you choose "Save As" and hit "Yes" to index does anything show up in the cmd window other than the picked colors? Also what are the dimensions of the map? (might also help if you attached the .wmm file)

SquirlMast
24 May 2007, 07:48
OK I tried a new map where I just threw in a buncha sprites I used from the old one, and I get pretty much the same thing.

In the CMD window it says:

C:\wmm\WormMM>java -Xms100m -Xmx512m -jar WormMM.jar
1= 0 0 0

If that even helps. I was using 16 colors, I put 16 in the colors box, and used method 3, I got a black map.....

I've included the WMM file I used. If you need anything else I'll get it.

ShootMe
25 May 2007, 20:48
well what was in the cmd window doesn't make sense, because if you picked 16 colors then the 89.72 should have been 100. It works perfectly on my comp.The only thing I can think of is that your v2.51 is messed up somehow or that java isn't installed correctly. Ill attach the .jar that I use just so you can make sure, but you should also make sure you have the latest JRE. http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

SquirlMast
26 May 2007, 03:59
Killer, it works now. I guess I was one update short of being at the latest version of Java, cause the JAR you sent was the same one I had. Thanks man, appreciate it, BTW your map maker kicks ass :D

I have one request for an improvement if it isnt too hard, a feature like batch sprite conversion. I have many single sprites for the old DOOM games, but since they're separate and your program only does one file at a time, it will take forever to do the 2400+ sprites. If you could include a feature where you can do multiple files it would be a great improvement.

ShootMe
26 May 2007, 06:56
I have one request for an improvement if it isnt too hard, a feature like batch sprite conversion. I have many single sprites for the old DOOM games, but since they're separate and your program only does one file at a time, it will take forever to do the 2400+ sprites. If you could include a feature where you can do multiple files it would be a great improvement.

Glad you like it :). Not quite sure I understand how the sprites are set up. Could you attach a few files?

SquirlMast
26 May 2007, 10:33
The sprites are setup as one file per frame of movement for monsters and objects, and certain wall textures have transparency in them as well. I obviously wouldn't be using all of them, but too many to do singly, it would be awesome to have all the textures and sprites at my disposal though, especially for BR maps.

ShootMe
29 May 2007, 04:49
Ok, hopefully this works for you. Just download this jar file (http://wmdb.org/converter.jar) and put it in a directory with all your bmp sprites. The jar file will convert all bmp images to png with the color specified to be transparent. It will get all bmp images within the directory you place it, along with any bmp images that are in folders in the directory this jar file is in. If you have any trouble just tell me whats going on. Press ENTER to start the conversion process once you have entered the color you want.

SquirlMast
29 May 2007, 06:54
"Finished converting 2419 images to transparent PNG" :D :D

Dude you kick ass, it worked flawlessly. I was a bit nervous when I noticed you said it will convert them into PNG, I thought you meant it was gunna convert the files themselves, after I started it I saw what you wrote and was like, ****, I havent backed them up!! But alls well it worked fine and made all of them into separate PNG's in like 20 seconds. They obviously work in the WMM, so all I have left to do is sort them. KILLER!!! :o

Jehuty
16 Jul 2007, 18:01
Very cool program ShootMe :D Good work.

Thomas1994
26 Jul 2007, 14:25
could you post me the link of the 1.8 update? i love the tiles in it. i can't find those tiles in the 2.51 version

Varuker
31 Jul 2007, 20:59
Im having a Little problem with WormMM, I dont know if its the program itself or me doing something wrong but when I save the Image and try to Open it in MS Panit all I get is a Black 1920x696 Drawing, Can you tell me what Im doing wrong, PLease Help!

pubby8
5 Oct 2007, 04:40
Sorry to bump this topic back up again, but I do like this program a lot!

I began to mess around with some stuff and created:
http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/9864/crystalyr8.png

I then modified that version A TON into this:
http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/2894/jupiteruh4.png

Oh and is there a way to delete specific "tiles" simply by clicking on it?

Great program, keep up the good work!

ShootMe
5 Oct 2007, 21:37
neat maps :)

I didn't program any way to delete tiles with the mouse, but you can delete a specific tile or any selection of tiles just by hitting the DEL key, which is about as easy.

tellisk
6 Oct 2007, 04:58
Wow. I'm glad this got bumped. I hadn't seen this before.
I can run your program when I switch to the WormMM directory in a terminal and use the command "java -jar WormMM.jar"

But when I try running it any other way (double click the icon, make a menu item that runs the command "java -jar /path/to/directory/WormMM.jar"), a pop-up error tells me that "settings.ini file was not found or could not be read," then the program starts but the menus (that usually contain the "Sprites" folder) are strangely devoid of content (completely empty).

For convenience's sake, I'd love to have a menu item that allows me to run the program. Otherwise I am stuck running it from a terminal, which is annoying.

Btw, I am on Linux (Ubuntu). Thanks for the program!

tellisk
6 Oct 2007, 05:06
Here's what my settings.ini file reads, if it pertains to the problem I have:

BG1 R Color|0

BG1 G Color|0

BG1 B Color|0

BG2 R Color|32

BG2 G Color|32

BG2 B Color|32

Drag&Place |false

Undo Amount|100

Last File |

I doubt it matters, since it runs fine when I run it a certain way, but there it is. =)

ShootMe
6 Oct 2007, 05:41
the settings file is not the problem, just like you say it works when you change to the WormMM directory but when you try and run it from outside the directory that error message pops up. This is because I use java's working directory as the root to look for files since I wouldn't be able to specifiy a single directory as you can put the program anywhere on your computer. So if you want it to work you'll need to change to WormMM directory first. You will also run into problems later when trying to save maps and such if you don't increase java's default max memory allocation using

java -Xmx512m -jar WormMM.jar
which would allocate 512mb maximum memory for the program or you can change it to something else.