PDA

View Full Version : One more question of keylocks

Distrance
15 Feb 2007, 20:45
I'm planning to buy Logitech G15 keyboard, but It would be good also to know if it has this ' keylock ' or not. So does anyone have any experience of the kb ?

KRD
15 Feb 2007, 21:38
You can press at least 3 keys on it at the same time without the lock occurring. And I hear it makes a fine roping keyboard. A fine overall keyboard, even. Just don't make use of the macro keys on WormNet if you value your freedom. .[:....:].

Oh and you'll want to make lots of room on your desk. The thing's huge.

Lex
16 Feb 2007, 02:25
You know what's better than a little display on your keyboard?

A second monitor.

Koen-ftw
16 Feb 2007, 07:14
You know what's better than a little display on your keyboard?

A second monitor.

So very true. I bought this keyboard once, only handy thing about it are the media keys (but those are on cheap keyboards too) and the lights behind the keys. I have never used more then 3 of the 54(!) possible macro keys, and the LCD screen is just plain useless.

Oh, but there's no keylock! :)

Luckylalla
16 Feb 2007, 07:24
The problem is Keyblocks are not standard on each keyboard !!

Every manufacturer places Keyblocks differently !! The main thought is :

Which 2 or 3 keys will never be pressed at the same time.

So if Logitech says up arrow / left arrow and space would normally never be pressed simultaniously then they block the combination !!

Now Microsoft might say well those keys are so far apart that a normal person (ppl using the KB to actually write ) would never be able to press them anyway so why block them ? .

You see being able to press 3 keys at the same time doesn't mean anything !
The best is you test the kb in the shop and press the combinations you need for worms for example Up / Left Space Up / Right Space and so on! If u hold down the keys and the computer starts beeping then there is a keyblock on the combination!

My kb for example (Microsoft wired 500 black) has no keyblocks on arrows and space but only on Up / Right F1 lol !! Very painful when trying those last second zooks :D

bonz
16 Feb 2007, 11:01
I'd say the LCD on the G15 is very useful for displaying players in Teamspeak channels.
A second monitor is of course better, but also more expensive and doesn't work with W:A currently.

KRD
16 Feb 2007, 13:12
There's always the G11 if the tiny LCD bothers you. I think it's exactly the same otherwise. Except a little cheaper.

http://www.logitech.com/lang/images/0/11529.jpg

Luckylalla, you'd have to try very hard to find three keys that don't work at the same time on those two keyboards. They are made with gaming in mind. And they've both been tested and approved by ropers.

ShOwTiMe
16 Feb 2007, 13:36
Is there no way to disable the key lock with a usb/ps2 adapter or something like that !?!?!

franpa
16 Feb 2007, 14:02
read this showtime :)

http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=31610

Lex
16 Feb 2007, 14:16
A second monitor is of course better, but also more expensive and doesn't work with W:A currently.Neither does a G15's tiny display. Also, while I play WA on my primary monitor, on my secondary monitor, I can see all 5 IRC channels I'm in, my Winamp playlist and seek bar, my system tray (including CPU history), clock with date and time, and taskbar. If I had Teamspeak running, I could put its window over the Winamp playlist, or whatever I wanted. A tiny keyboard display doesn't compare to having a fully-desktopped secondary monitor. Don't waste money on a G15 when you could be saving that extra-spent money for a second monitor, even if it's a little 13-to-15-inch LCD.

Edit: Well, if it's not just the keyboard display feature you're drooling over, go for it. I don't hate the keyboard. I even wish my keyboard had extra keys like those on the left. The G11 looks nice too.

Koen-ftw
16 Feb 2007, 14:33
I've worked with two monitors for some time, but eventually had to get rid of it because it was taking up too much space. I had a little problem though, when I ran W:A it would alter the resolution and color depth(?) of the second screen, therefore not allowing me to see anything properly. I must admit, while doing other things (not gaming) two monitors is great.

You could theoretically use the LCD screen on the keyboard for W:A though, someone once told me the idea of showing the team's health bars on it. You could write an extension for that Wormkit thingy to make it work, or something.

Oh, the only game I've seen working with the LCD screen without any third-party applications was Prey. Not that it had much use, it showed a compass on it (Not useful in the Doom3 engine. There are no maps or anything to compare it to to find your way, things like that) and health bars. That last feature is useful, but you could aswell look at your screen, I guess.

There are heaps of third-party applets for it, but I have not yet found many useful ones. I'm currently using a Foobar2K plugin, to show what songs are currently playing, the FPS-showing graph built into Fraps and the G-Series Performance monitor (show CPU load and memory usage).

Distrance
16 Feb 2007, 14:47
Hmm it seems the kb is too huge for me =//. Well, I dont really need the lil monitor, though few macro keys could be handy but not needed aswell.
The kb should have these media keys, I got them in this one too but they are so small that its hard to hit them. Also this kb has keylock.

So any ideas for good no keylocks kb with media keys, plus it is needed that it has the lights back of the keys so its possible to play without lights in the dark.

So..any suggestions ?

Luckylalla
16 Feb 2007, 15:17
Luckylalla, you'd have to try very hard to find three keys that don't work at the same time on those two keyboards. They are made with gaming in mind. And they've both been tested and approved by ropers.

Yes ! I never said that a G11 G15 or whatever had any : D

Just saying that it's a way to find out if there are keyblocks ;)

Muzer
18 Feb 2007, 10:02
If you plug them into a computer, you can use A key tester (http://www.passmark.com/products/keytest.htm) (It's shareware but you only usually need it once).