PDA

View Full Version : Zonealarm 7 stops WA working

Degenerate
11 Feb 2007, 17:43
Just installed ZA 7, unfortunately it stops the WA server screen working. You go through autologin but the next screen shows wormnet at the top and the exit button but all of the text is missing.

Any way of fixing this without reverting back to a previous version of ZA?

CyberShadow
11 Feb 2007, 20:35
Try to add WA.exe as a trusted application before you try to run the game.

Degenerate
11 Feb 2007, 20:42
Well, yes, I've done that. Exactly the same as 6.5, it just doesn't work with 7.

Koen-ftw
11 Feb 2007, 22:44
You could try opening the IRC port (6667), but that normally shouldn't be the problem.

Joeyjoejoe
12 Feb 2007, 05:20
Yeah my friend cannot use Wormnet because Zone Labs is blocking it. We even used the Nanacide guide but it still doesn't work.

franpa
12 Feb 2007, 05:43
turn off the bit that blocks IRC.

Degenerate
12 Feb 2007, 17:07
Port 6667 was already open so I could host games.

In ZA there does not appear to be any IRC options, there never were for 6.5 and they were not needed either.

franpa
12 Feb 2007, 23:37
http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28360&highlight=zone+alarm
http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=31119&highlight=zone+alarm

these 2 links might be of help here. (check for an area in zonealarm called "IM Security")

Degenerate
12 Feb 2007, 23:51
Nothing called IM Security in my ZA 7. :(

Dando
13 Feb 2007, 02:05
give up zone alarm. I had never ending problems with it (not with the antivirus it has to be said). Too much messin about. In the end, I opted for windows sp2 built in firewall. It may not be the best but atleast it is simple and I don't have to mess about.

failing that, get another firewall.

Degenerate
13 Feb 2007, 18:22
You went with Windows firewall... I'd rather not play worms.

Distrance
13 Feb 2007, 18:47
Oh well. I got ZoneAlarm Pro and no problem with it while playing WA, as I've accepted the connections on it and it seems I even can host without opening ports on it manually, like in other firewalls. And Dando, lol windows firewall, I got that earlier and thats why my pc almost got broken, you'd better find another one, anyone is better than Win Firewall..

Degenerate
13 Feb 2007, 19:16
Distrance, is it the new zone alarm 7 you are using? I had no problem with the previous version (6.5 etc).

Distrance
13 Feb 2007, 20:26
Yes the newest, PRO version, and no problems. Cant help you though with that why isnt it working properly with your WA..mine works fine after I ticked the boxes on program control '' Allow all incoming connections '' and such things, added it to Trusted zone..and when it asked bout it I ticked allow and '' Do not show this again ''..

SargeMcCluck
20 Mar 2007, 18:46
Old thread, but I thought I'd bump it because I came across the same problem but knew how to fix it.

ZoneAlarm 7 (The basic free version) actually comes with all the content of the full Security Suite, but it's just all hidden and on default values, which for almost everything is disabled by default - You have to turn on the antivirus, etc. (Or so it seems). One of these features, IMSecure, contains the "Disable IRC" option, which is ON by default.

To fix, you want to use the option in ZoneAlarm to upgrade to the full Security Suite (the free trial, that is), disable "Block IRC" in IMSecure, and then downgrade (Either by using the setup again, or just wait for your trial to run out).

Worked for me, I have ZA 7.0 running and just logged onto WormNET.

(I also assume that this will be fixed in a later ZoneAlarm update)