PDA

View Full Version : Still problem with kb & wa

Distrance
7 Feb 2007, 15:55
Yep, I still got the problem, I really dont know what to do. Is it cause of my kb or cause of some settings on control panel or somewhere ? I noticed that pushing the spacebar and up,right or down arrow keys goes fine, I can push them repeadetly ( like in ropin ) and the worm will rope, but if I press space and left arrow key it wont register the space's i push and is causing the worm to fall.

What im supposed to do ? Buy new kb ? Or change some settings ? Or do nothing ?

CyberShadow
7 Feb 2007, 16:07
You can either use a 3rd-party program to remap your space bar to another key (for example, right Shift), or you could buy a new keyboard which doesn't have these key blocks. USB keyboards are much less likely to have such blocks - but make sure you test the keyboard extensively before you buy it / decide to keep it.

Distrance
7 Feb 2007, 16:14
Wow it actually works, didnt think of that earlier. Thanks CS. But still I keep wonderin, my old kb definitely weren't USB keyboard and it worked perfectly, and this definitely is..so..whats this

CyberShadow
7 Feb 2007, 16:45
It just depends on the keyboard. There are PS/2 keyboards out there on which you can hold down all the keys, and the PC would register all of them - and yet there are USB keyboard who have key blocks as bad as the common PS/2 keyboads (the like you have described).

bonz
7 Feb 2007, 17:05
I somewhere read an article on the cause of these error.
It's how the keyboards are built.

Simplified, it's a mesh of "wire" arranged in a matrix with a key above each intersection.
If you press a key, the two "wires" at the intersection are switched and the keyboard processor gets a signal in which row and column the key press occured.

If I understood the article correctly, it can occur that you actually get short circuits when you press too many keys or certain keys.

So it's all about keaboards built the simplest/cheapest way, not necessarily what connector it has.

I'd say that quality USB keyboards from companies like Logitech or Microsoft should be fine.

Etho
7 Feb 2007, 20:36
This topic might be of interest to you:
http://www.cbc-wwp.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2110&start=0

Anubis in particular gave some excellent insight about worming keyboards. Microsoft keyboards seem to be of higher quality than most. Logitechs usually are not prefered by wormers. I have personally tried both brands and prefer my BenQ over Microsoft and Logitech. (I didn't like the bulky design of my freebe Microsoft keyboard.)

Distrance
7 Feb 2007, 21:34
Mmkay. My kb is Fujitsu Siemens which came with the computer so i guess its obvious that it sucks. Yep im gonna get Logitech or Microsoft then, I just wonder what they cost, it should be good kb for other games too cause im not getting it just for worms.

bonz
7 Feb 2007, 21:55
Mmkay. My kb is Fujitsu Siemens which came with the computer so i guess its obvious that it sucks. Yep im gonna get Logitech or Microsoft then, I just wonder what they cost, it should be good kb for other games too cause im not getting it just for worms.
Just don't buy a wireless keyboard.
They're much more expensive and you probably won't move the keyboard more than a few inches from your monitor anyway.

franpa
8 Feb 2007, 04:37
the wireless MS keyboard i had for a brief period of timing wouldn't allow me to hold keys down in worms... if i held across after about 30 seconds i would have to release the key and press it again.

it went back to the store very quickly after buying it and i havn't looked at keyboards since...

Lex
8 Feb 2007, 09:43
The Logitech Internet Navigator (without the bulky wrist pad attached) is an excellent roping keyboard, according to many highly-experienced ropers I know, including me. There are no roping key locks. It's a wired USB keyboard. The space bar has an unmatched shape; seemingly designed for hitting quickly. The layout is wonderful, and it has excellent media buttons (play/pause, stop, next, back, volume, etc.) at the top. If you want a good roping keyboard, get this one. If you can find one, get an older model without the annoying "F-Lock" functionality, which turns your function keys useless unless F-Lock is [on? off? I'm not sure. I don't have that annoying model.].

I've heard the IBM RapidAccess 2 is a great keyboard from a few people, but I've yet to try it.

By the way, I can tap like a maniac (tensening, not finger-rolling) on my keyboard partially because of the perfect shape of its space bar.

Distrance
9 Feb 2007, 18:51
Hmm, are those expensive ? I got only 40€ currently to spend.

What about these settings ? My friend said these could have something to do with the '' key lock '', look the link below.

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/7702/kblockuh6.jpg

bonz
9 Feb 2007, 19:05
look the link below.
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/7702/kblockuh6.jpg
I can't find my Finnish dictionary at the moment. :rolleyes:

Distrance
9 Feb 2007, 19:46
I know that. And my english isnt enough perfect to translate it. But you know the place on the control panel dont you ? If so, how about tell me what boxes have you ticked and I can check with those settings if wa would work with my kb then, though I dont think it helps. Better still to check it out first before buying kb if its for nothing.

yakuza
9 Feb 2007, 19:49
Get any IBM ps/2 keyboard, mechanical if posible from 1990-1995 and you're set, also they're what, 2 dollars?

bonz
9 Feb 2007, 20:10
But you know the place on the control panel dont you ? If so, how about tell me what boxes have you ticked and I can check with those settings if wa would work with my kb then, though I dont think it helps.
I have every single checkbox unchecked. That won't help you though.

Dando
9 Feb 2007, 20:26
My kb doesn't work. It was free, after I smashed the last one to pieces.

That one didn't work either. I am too bone idle to get myself a proper one:p

SilPho
10 Feb 2007, 10:23
What makes a really good roping keyboard then? Easy to hit space bar and no key locks? Maybe a fairly chunky F8 key.

franpa
10 Feb 2007, 10:40
What makes a really good roping keyboard then? Easy to hit space bar and no key locks? Maybe a fairly chunky F8 key.

a keyboard that doesn have any letter keys :)

Distrance
10 Feb 2007, 12:00
The Internet Navigator sounds fine then if its good for playing FPS games aswell cause the kb is not coming only for worms. I need new kb anyway but it would be good if it hadnt any key locks

Lex
10 Feb 2007, 19:40
I severely doubt the existence of a keyboard which can register all of its keys being held simultaneously. If you find such a keyboard exists, please let me know.

OH. Deadcode just told me that such a thing does exist. His keyboard has it, and that functionality is called "n-key rollover".

Distrance, yes, you can play FPS games with the Internet Navigator. I am looking at getting the Optimus keyboard (http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/) when it's released, but that will probably be at least $200.

Distrance
10 Feb 2007, 20:08
Wow, that looks awesome, cant afford it though :(

bonz
11 Feb 2007, 02:45
Optimus keyboard (http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/)
Damn! Those *******s stole my idea I had back in 1999.

yakuza
11 Feb 2007, 12:48
I want this one!! http://www.wirelesshop.biz/images/Laser%20Keybord.jpg

Lex
11 Feb 2007, 18:59
Damn! Those *******s stole my idea I had back in 1999.If you weren't planning on implementing it, I'm very glad they did, considering how good an idea it is.