PDA

View Full Version : W:A On Vista, just so you know

canofworms
1 Feb 2007, 21:00
Right, this is how good Worms Armageddon 3.6.26.5 works on Windows Vista:

Frontend has graphical glitches. Sometimes goes black, hit Esc to go back to previous screen to clear. Sometimes you get white screens when switching from game to frontend.

Game works fine! Sometimes there is graphical glitches on the water though (e.g. no fill).

On WWP, autorun works, game doesnt.

You may need to run W:A as an admin too (see Compatability tab).

Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate RC2 32bit - 5744
CPU: AMD Athlon64 3200+ (Socket 939)
Motherboard: Foxconn CK804KS8MA-KS
System Memory: 1024MB DDR 400
Video Card / Driver Revision: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE PCI-E / NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) - 5744
Sound Card / Driver Revision: NVIDIA nForce CK804 Audio Controller / NVIDIA nForce Audio Controller (Microsoft Corporation) - 5744
DirectX Revision: DirectX 10 RC2 / DirectX 9.0L RC2
Nature of the problem: See above text.
Steps to recreate: Run the game in Vista.

franpa
1 Feb 2007, 23:05
upgrade to nvidia drivers and you'll see the slow front end.

canofworms
2 Feb 2007, 06:52
upgrade to nvidia drivers and you'll see the slow front end.

Im still trying to work out why the game crashes atm, and the MS ones work fine, they have a good speed and all. The nvidia drivers require build < 6000 too, so im stuffed (5743)

Muzer
2 Feb 2007, 17:25
Ha ha! Trip is revealed! You don't even need his patch to run WA! He probably just did what he did with batty ropes!

franpa
3 Feb 2007, 00:35
considering cybershadow has so far not rejected trips claims that trips has made a valid pach for WA under Vista... i doubt he lied about it.

Metal Alex
3 Feb 2007, 00:39
CiberShadow has it so clear, that he doesn't even talk :p

canofworms
3 Feb 2007, 08:10
considering cybershadow has so far not rejected trips claims that trips has made a valid pach for WA under Vista... i doubt he lied about it.

I suspect it will be with 3.6.27.x

M3ntal
3 Feb 2007, 12:42
Trip's "patch" is just a PE bundle with some DirectX 10 files. It's not that hard to do, but i don't think he ever claimed it was.

RaTTi
3 Feb 2007, 19:06
Hi guys also worms does run with windows vista now? Thatz my Question! :rolleyes: btw sorry for my bad english :(

canofworms
3 Feb 2007, 20:30
Hi guys also worms does run with windows vista now? Thatz my Question! :rolleyes: btw sorry for my bad english :(

Worms 1? Doubt it, didnt run on XP.

You can run it in DosBox though.

BTW, your english is very good, the only typo was thaz, correction is thats
:)

[UFP]Ghost
4 Feb 2007, 05:54
worms 1 without dosbox runs fine on my xp computer.

RaTTi
4 Feb 2007, 12:22
[QUOTE=canofworms;557760]

Worms 1? Doubt it, didnt run on XP.

You can run it in DosBox though.

hehe, thankz no i play only worms armageddon :-)

franpa
4 Feb 2007, 13:35
Ghost;557814']worms 1 without dosbox runs fine on my xp computer.

im sure they know that it can aswell :) just boot into DOS instead of winXP on your winXP compliant pc.

Muzer
4 Feb 2007, 14:50
I didn't know you could do that, XP doesn't have a restart as DOS option.

Get this. WU works on my XP PC fine... unless W2 is installed :confused:. Then it crashes after zooming into the map just before the main menu should be displayed.

bonz
4 Feb 2007, 15:52
im sure they know that it can aswell :) just boot into DOS instead of winXP on your winXP compliant pc.
WinXP has no DOS mode to boot into.
Get this. WU works on my XP PC fine... unless W2 is installed :confused:. Then it crashes after zooming into the map just before the main menu should be displayed.
Is it a proper CD version or a not so proper version without the CD audio tracks and FMVs?
The latter worked fine in WinXP for me too, the former needs DOSBox to run.

franpa
4 Feb 2007, 17:07
get bootable DOS floppy disk and insert into drive then configure your BIOS to boot from it... now you are booting into DOS on your winXP compliant PC.

bonz
4 Feb 2007, 17:57
get bootable DOS floppy disk and insert into drive then configure your BIOS to boot from it... now you are booting into DOS on your winXP compliant PC.
Very oldschool, but many PCs today don't even have a floppy drive anymore.

SilPho
4 Feb 2007, 19:43
Stab in the dark here, but it may be possible to achieve that same effect with a USB drive.

Dando
4 Feb 2007, 20:27
yeah it is if you can boot from it, which most can. Sadly, apps are still being used that require floppy and will only install to floppy like a maxtor HD check, which annoyed me:p

[UFP]Ghost
4 Feb 2007, 20:43
id don't use a floppy drive or anything i just play it.

quakerworm
5 Feb 2007, 19:10
Very oldschool, but many PCs today don't even have a floppy drive anymore.
i think you can get dos on a bootable cd.

SilPho
5 Feb 2007, 19:47
http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/ Two second google search will turn that up

franpa
6 Feb 2007, 01:33
Ha ha! Trip is revealed! You don't even need his patch to run WA! He probably just did what he did with batty ropes!

durr, he just makes it so you cant accidentally minimize the game... because it would crash the game in its current state if you did.

Glenn
6 Feb 2007, 02:09
WinXP has no DOS mode to boot into.

Just as a side note, it has to have a DOS mode to boot into, because it's a GUI of DOS.

franpa
6 Feb 2007, 05:20
Just as a side note, it has to have a DOS mode to boot into, because it's a GUI of DOS.

windows NT based operating systems do NOT use DOS at all. (win NT, win 2000, winXP, etc.)

bonz
6 Feb 2007, 14:57
Just because it has a black screen with white letters doesn't mean it's DOS. :)

Glenn
7 Feb 2007, 16:02
Just because it has a black screen with white letters doesn't mean it's DOS. :)

I don't know about your screen, but mine says right at the top that it's DOS.

CyberShadow
7 Feb 2007, 16:10
Care to elaborate here (where exactly), or post a screenshot? :)

bonz
7 Feb 2007, 16:43
Mine just says "Eingabeaufforderung" (prompt) at the top. It was "MS-DOS Eingabeaufforderung" back in Win9x.
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4240/cmdmf7.png

Muzer
7 Feb 2007, 18:18
Mine says
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe :p

But if I load it from the start menu it says Command Prompt.

On WIN98 it says MS-DOS Prompt

M3ntal
7 Feb 2007, 23:00
I don't know about your screen, but mine says right at the top that it's DOS.Well, none of ours do ;). All current versions are based on NT, which was developed to be seperate from DOS rather than on top of it.

franpa
8 Feb 2007, 06:58
Mine says
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe :p

But if I load it from the start menu it says Command Prompt.

On WIN98 it says MS-DOS Prompt

there are 2 versions included with winXP, to see them both type one of the following into RUN then press ok.

CMD
COMMAND

both are not real DOS.

Muzer
8 Feb 2007, 17:25
Yes, I know that

You didnt read my post properly.

I said on WINDOWS 98 it comes as DOS.

CyberShadow
8 Feb 2007, 20:06
Under Windows 9x, COMMAND.COM actually runs the same DOS as used outside of Windows, under the "virtual real mode" (yes, that's what it's called). NT-based Windows systems also have a COMMAND.COM, which isn't just a cmd.exe launcher - it's a real COM file (unlike on Windows 9x, which has a MZ header), and runs as a DOS application under NTVDM (which also uses "virtual real mode", but virtualizes almost all of the hardware).

Muzer
8 Feb 2007, 20:32
Slightly offtopic, but (see attachment)

God, how I love cmd :D

I can make it like anything you want, and have any text inside. It's a real image from real windows (not some stupid mockup image) and I can also have any windows theme. I can also have it showing a windows desktop or windows at the same time, and I can get them to overlap (stuff like that to stop photoshopping)

And also, I'm a rubbish photoshopper anyway :p

Oh what the hell, I did another one :)

EDIT: WHY DO HALF THE PNGS I UPLOAD TURN INTO JPGS???

And I do know about command.com (I even told run about it), but I didn't realise that's what it is (all that virtual real mode stuffs). Is it like that on XP, then?

CyberShadow
9 Feb 2007, 06:41
XP is an NT-based OS, so yeah. I'm not sure if they kept it on Vista.

Jerry
12 Feb 2007, 13:54
CyberShadow, u and DC make update 4.0 or? I don't know now, man tell me when it's done or how is % done now? Salute ;)

Seita
12 Feb 2007, 17:07
Hello Jerry. Long time no see. How much % until I see you again on WormNet ?

auditzei
9 Mar 2007, 19:40
I can get the game running fine, its just that sometimes all the colours are messed up. They are all neon and nothing is distinguishable.

eLbot
20 Mar 2007, 09:59
Vista Ultimate x64
Nvidia 100.65 Drivers

Sounds like I’m the worse position possible. Popped a brand new original disc in the drive and the game wouldn’t even install, running setup.exe does nothing. It just sits there like the command was never given, I’ve tried running it as administrator but no luck. Is there a manual way to install? Can I copy paste the folders on my drive and then enter some registry values or am I stuck? I can’t even begin to patch if I can’t install. :(

EDIT:

My bad, should have done some more searching, I’ll post the thread link here in case someone in the future does a search and finds my post without the solution:
http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=30453
http://www.nanacide.com/wahelp/installguide-autoinstaller.php

JohnMatrix
22 Mar 2007, 18:59
I can get the game running fine, its just that sometimes all the colours are messed up. They are all neon and nothing is distinguishable.

This is exactly what happens to me. Is this on Vista?