PDA

View Full Version : Desync / Holes in built-in maps

DocExplode
25 Jan 2007, 14:37
I've noticed something that isn't really a issue, but still it's very annoying.

When I choose a built-in terrain in the dropdown (by built in terrain I mean: Cars, Holland, GunBox, Train, all missions terrains and so on) and I create a game with it, the scenery is all messed up by random holes with girders and I can't access the terrain editor to turn off 'random placement holes' or 'reseed'.

Also, I've noticed that choosing these terrains commonly result in desync in Wormnet.

The solution I've found for both was save all the .IMG files from the WA CD in a SubFolder of SavedLevels. So I can choose the terrain without the random holes and I haven't noticed desync yet.

The desyncronization and the random holes. Are these interrelated problems or just a coincidence?

Thanks in Advance,
Doc

bonz
25 Jan 2007, 14:43
the scenery is all missed up by random holes with girders and I can't access the terrain editor to turn off 'random placement holes' or 'reseed'.
IIRC, right-clicking the reseed button disables the holes alltogether.
I'll check when I get home from work.

Don't disable the holes on a fully filled terrain (e.g. moleshopper) with indestructible borders on all 4 sides activated.
You'll get an endless loop because you can't place your worms anywhere, nor can you drown them on the bottom or sides.
(Don't know if this has been fixed by now.)

DocExplode
25 Jan 2007, 14:50
IIRC, right-clicking the reseed button disables the holes alltogether.
I'll check when I get home from work.

The problem is if I choose the built-in maps I won't be able to access the terrain editor to use the reseed button. :(

bonz
25 Jan 2007, 14:53
The problem is if I choose the built-in maps I won't be able to access the terrain editor to use the reseed button. :(
Oh! This is a problem then.

DC? CS? Where are you?

franpa
25 Jan 2007, 22:26
because your not allowed to edit the maps o_O?

Deadcode
26 Jan 2007, 04:48
DocExplode, please post a replay showing this phenomenon. I have never seen it and cannot reproduce it.

Seita
26 Jan 2007, 12:26
I might be seriously mistaken, but from the top of my head, when I select a built-in map (That is, without going into map editor, just using the dropdown below map preview), it loads the built-in Map.
I don't remember being able to right-click it and enter the map editor to modify it, which is what DocExplode is reporting. The problem is: In order to get rid of the holes, there would be a need to open map editor (Well, holes should not be there in the first place) and that is what causes troubles.

Chip
26 Jan 2007, 13:44
With the built in maps, I have only encounted something like this with the "Paris" map only.
And I think to this day it has only happened 2 times in total.

I do have a screan shot of this but no reply, the computer punched the girder and its hole in the golden building on the right of the map (next to the French fries)

DocExplode
26 Jan 2007, 14:11
I might be seriously mistaken, but from the top of my head, when I select a built-in map (That is, without going into map editor, just using the dropdown below map preview), it loads the built-in Map.
I don't remember being able to right-click it and enter the map editor to modify it, which is what DocExplode is reporting. The problem is: In order to get rid of the holes, there would be a need to open map editor (Well, holes should not be there in the first place) and that is what causes troubles.

Yes, that's the problem.
I'm not able to open the terrain editor to get rid of the holes.

I only see two solutions for this:
1) Turn on the right mouse button function even when I choose the map by the drop down;
2) Turn off the random placement holes when I choose a dropdown map.

franpa
26 Jan 2007, 15:03
it does that chip because the random placement isnt optimised for very tight placement and as such this is encountered due to lack of land for a worm to stand on... right? and it doesnt occur in the missions cause everyone is placed accordingly and nothing much is randomized.

kikumbob
26 Jan 2007, 17:18
No one else apart from Docexplode ecounters this problem regularly. So there must be something wrong with Docexplodes version of the game, or he is doing somehting very interesting with the built-in maps indeed.

Docexplode, try reinstalling the game (backing up your user files beforehand) and see if its still happens.

DocExplode
27 Jan 2007, 00:57
DocExplode, please post a replay showing this phenomenon. I have never seen it and cannot reproduce it.

Well, the replay...
And, Deadcode, sorry for not posting it earlier, I wasn't in a PC with WA installed.

This time the desync hasn't ocurred when I hosted a game with a built-in map.
But this replay shows the random placement holes (that shouldn't be there - i think).

So, I think the only "problem" is right mouse button lock (that is used to gain access to terrain editor) when choosing the built-in maps.

Deadcode
27 Jan 2007, 07:02
Thank you, DocExplode.

This problem has nothing to do with your system in particular, only with the map being used. In that map "Paris", for example, the probability of getting at least one hole is 32%... and there can be up to 3 holes in the worst case (probability 0.22%).

My temporary solution will be to have W:A avoid the seeds that lead to holes, when hosting. (The long-term solution will be to replace the autoplacement algorithm with something better, and probably also to make the small thumbnail preview what the map will actually look like.)

Here's a complete list of offenders, followed by the chance they have of having holes, and then the worst case and its respective chance.
Birthday: 20% [2: 1.5%]
Fruity2: 99.62% [3: 1.3%]
Paris: 32% [3: 0.22%]
Polar: 36% [3: 6.0%]
Shoes: 2.3% [1: 2.3%]
Speccy: 15% [3: 5.4%]
Village: 18% [2: 0.71%]

The desync is an entirely unrelated issue. It happens when someone joins your game after you have chosen a map from the drop-down list. This will be fixed in the next update. As a temporary workaround, if someone new joins after you've chosen this kind of map, switch to some other map and then back.

DocExplode
27 Jan 2007, 14:04
Hmmm... interesting stats.

Thank you for the informations, Deadcode.

Nice to know the dropdown thing, I was getting crazy with desync'ing' every time I hosted a game with the built-in maps.