PDA

View Full Version : My Worms compilation video

Amp Sux
9 Jan 2007, 16:13
It's called "Weekend at Wormy's"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WSko0JuhV-o :D (New version; I decided to change the W2W "thread" because I didn't think it was very impressive)

I edited it using the After Effects tryout. I had no idea how painstaking it would be. I tend to just use trial and error rather than find a guide, and by the end I am so glad to be done with it and never want do anything like it again. :eek:

I will probably render and host a high resolution version in the near future. Can anybody recommend a good site to host large video files?

Comments is welcome!

bonz
9 Jan 2007, 17:22
Nice video! :D

I especially liked

the triple water skip at the beginning
the triple worm knock with the lonbow
the water skip beneath the Salvador Dali map
the worm getting knocked out of the level into the water by the dud mine mid-air

GoDxWyvern
9 Jan 2007, 21:38
Awesome video. Love how it's all slow-motion.

But... what the hell, why are there so many loose pixels on my map! I was such an amateur!

karseet
9 Jan 2007, 21:46
great video :D

Any chance you could make a concise walk through on how you created this video for us eager learners?:) (I'm talking about: capturing the games, manipulating the frames [Blame The Pixel, lol], which program you used, etc..)

Thanks in advanced!
I'm just a noob in this area, and I'm looking to learn more.

_Kilburn
10 Jan 2007, 00:07
Awesome ! I loved the mad cow "trick" you used in the boom race. :p And also the dud mine knock :eek:

franpa
10 Jan 2007, 01:59
i think they imported the map or something and the game pixelated fine edges... happened to me.

littlebee
10 Jan 2007, 04:33
Why would you give up after successfully completing a project! If you'd gotten halfway and akirameta (quit) there'd be nothing to show and no reason to mention you'd ever started -- and since you DID do it, and it came out nice, there's no reason you shouldn't keep playing with After Effects and making compilation videos. Now you know what it's like, so there'll be no surprises and you'll be able to start the next project with a faster drive. What you just did here was like starting a car and going 0-60 in 2 scared minutes. But you got there and you're driving, and the next time you might find you can floor it and get there in 15 seconds, and you'll go further too.

I used to animate in Macromedia Director when it was a big lunky, worthless piece of technology that was basically an alternative to animated GIF exporters. I animated about 25 seconds of a bug flying around and getting squashed, as a clip between some dumb announcements for closed circuit TV. And I said, man, that was fscking hard. Not doing that again.

Next week I went back and started doing another one, and realized I had already achieved exactly what I wanted the first time, so there was a lot less trial and error and actually a kind of disappointment. It wasn't challenging or creative this time... unless I aimed higher. So I decided I'd do my own sound effects and force them in. Then I started working with other software and integrating them. And soon I realized I wanted to do things that Director couldn't handle, so I switched over to Adobe Premiere. My first project on Premiere nearly killed me, I thought. "Not doing that again!" But a few days later I had another idea for an animation I wanted to try.

Anyway point is, you now know what goes into assembling clips for a game video, and you probably are viewing game clips online now and thinking, oh, I know where they cut that and this/that might have been better, or oh, that was a good idea I should do that next time. 1up got mentioned here: go and watch any part of the 1up show and realize you can do exactly what they're doing now. All it takes is effort, and you've obviously invested that.

Just a pep talk.

(Hijack: included for inspirational/ridicule purposes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJGBjPtv0xs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythj-XeCBow

)

I "gave up" without ever even getting into After Effects, which I wish I'd done. But just putting the discipline into my projects, I can still put that on every resume, and I've gotten jobs as a video editor, a web designer, even at Capitol Records just by showing them these clips, even though none of those jobs ever required me to use any particular animation software.

Anyway. Bottom line: why would you say you're never going to touch something again after you've clearly done a great job of it? :)

Evil Bunny
10 Jan 2007, 19:36
lmao @ mid are dud killer :D

Lex
10 Jan 2007, 23:37
I think you mean, "mid-air killer dud".

Amp Sux
11 Jan 2007, 11:52
Thanks for the kind words, guys! :) Sorry to expose your pixels, Wyvern ;) lol

Any chance you could make a concise walk through on how you created this video for us eager learners?

Hmm, well I wouldn't say I was any more than a learner myself :p . However if there isn't already a definitive source for information on this, there certainly should be. So if I'm not feeling too lazy I might gather all the necessary information and put it into one place.

Anyway. Bottom line: why would you say you're never going to touch something again after you've clearly done a great job of it? :)

A compelling argument :) Though I don't have much material left at the moment, you are quite right, and I will try to dabble whenever I can. Nice videos too, by the way!

Cheers

StaTich
11 Jan 2007, 19:50
zOMG, this video was really amazing, one of the best so far. No snazzy rope tricks, no one turner rr maps, a lot of ****-ups and great things that you rarely see in-game.

Amazing man, 10+ from me!

franpa
12 Jan 2007, 03:19
www.mediafire.com is goood for insanely large files.

Deadcode
13 Jan 2007, 03:19
Wow, this is fantastic. Quite possibly the best Worms compilation video I have seen (among the top three, for sure)! Well done, ThinkyWhale!

franpa
13 Jan 2007, 03:40
Nice video! :D

I especially liked

the triple water skip at the beginning
the triple worm knock with the lonbow
the water skip beneath the Salvador Dali map
the worm getting knocked out of the level into the water by the dud mine mid-air

you mean the quad knock with the longbow right? other then that i agree with you bonz.

BigBilly
13 Jan 2007, 13:15
nice movie dude :D
i'm very proudly to see that ppl rly play on my maps :D

dgold
22 Jan 2007, 21:32
new here

Some moves I haven't seen before,

Studying up!

More films & rope tutorials??

Diablo vt
28 Jan 2007, 21:44
Great movie dude. I liked the Dud Mine bit when it hit your worm and then drowned truely splendid may I say.

redwraith
4 Feb 2007, 00:01
That dud mine is hilarious!!