PDA

View Full Version : No options in Single Player Quick Game?

pipes100
9 Jan 2007, 08:12
Just wanted to confirm this. I'm happily upgrading from the N64 version where there were "Global Options" to change hit points, timer, etc. that affected Quick Matches. But on the PC version, it looks like there is only "Schemes" that only affect "Create..." games, not Quick Matches. So there is no way to change any option in Quick Matches, right? Thanks.

BTW: WA is my favorite game of all time and I play video games for a living!;)

Akuryou13
9 Jan 2007, 12:37
quick matches are intended to be games played when you don't want to bother setting anything. so no, there are no options for quick matches.

bonz
9 Jan 2007, 12:37
No, there are no options in Quick Matches.
That's why they are called quick. You can quickly start a game without doing any settings.

BTW, are you using the latest beta update v3.6.26.5?
http://www.nanacide.com/wahelp/

franpa
9 Jan 2007, 13:47
if you want (and your post is confusing) just play hot seat multi player and you'll have all your settings available... what is a "create...."?

if anything its the same as the N64 :P except maybe you couldn't save your settings thus there was no reference in it to schemes.

BigBilly
9 Jan 2007, 14:25
create = package with a waepon or health or bla in :D

pipes100
9 Jan 2007, 21:38
Ok I think that answers my question.

To clarify, in N64 version, you can change hit points and timer ONE TIME in the Options menu and then from that point on ever time you boot the game and start a Quick Match, you start off with 150 hit points and 90 seconds to do damage or whatever you set it to. So Bonz and Akuryou13, it's still quick with no settings to change everytime.

In the PC version, apparantly it will always be 100 with a 45 timer.

"Create..." game="Create a Single or Multiplayer game"

bonz
9 Jan 2007, 21:52
"Create..." game="Create a Single or Multiplayer game"
That one's generally referred to as "hotseat game".

franpa
10 Jan 2007, 01:57
just make schemes with what you want and play a hotseat multiplayer game (you can just play the computer if you want) and each time choose the scheme you want to play from the list. ITS VERY SIMPLE.

to save a scheme you have to edit/make one from the games options area... accessible from the very first menu you'll encounter after loading the game.

bonz
10 Jan 2007, 03:35
just make schemes with what you want and play a hotseat multiplayer game (you can just play the computer if you want) and each time choose the scheme you want to play from the list. ITS VERY SIMPLE.

to save a scheme you have to edit/make one from the games options area... accessible from the very first menu you'll encounter after loading the game.
Ehrr.. He knows all that.
He just asked if the PC version has options/settings in the quick game menu like the N64 version does.

franpa
10 Jan 2007, 03:59
im just pointing out how EASY it is to get a game setup the way you like it... it is very very close to being equally as easy as the N64 version.

[UFP]Ghost
10 Jan 2007, 04:31
If there a way to alter the quick game defaults to your own liking?

pipes100
10 Jan 2007, 04:44
Ghost;553161']If there a way to alter the quick game defaults to your own liking?

Good question! :rolleyes:Maybe I should have put my question this simply.

It doesn't look like it but doing a "hotseat" game is pretty fast as well. Cause I gotta have my 90 seconds to make it across the landscape to majorily injure folks. Also, I really, really like to select my own worm. It takes more of the "luck" out of the game and puts in some more skill.;)

EDIT: I just realized that on the N64 those "Global Options" ALSO affected "Deathmatch". So I got to start out with 150 hit points, 90 seconds and I could select my own worms. So now Quick Match AND Deathmatch or pretty much anything else in single player is not adjustable. That sucks! I did'nt think the N64 would have such advantages. Oh well...

Lex
10 Jan 2007, 05:54
The PC version of Worms Armageddon is far better than the N64 version, despite any minor advantages the N64 version has.

By the way, do you have the latest update for the PC version of WA installed?

pipes100
10 Jan 2007, 06:02
The PC version of Worms Armageddon is far better than the N64 version, despite any minor advantages the N64 version has.

Yes, I'm all up to date. sorry I forgot to mention that. Your right, but I've been playing that version for many years. I'll adjust but I'll miss my custom settings.

bonz
10 Jan 2007, 11:32
With the N64 (and the PS1) version you are totally missing out all flame based weapons, as those consoles are not powerful enough to handle the flame sprites.
So no petrol bomb, napalm strike, flamethrower and oil barrels.
BTW, are you using the latest beta update v3.6.26.5?
http://www.nanacide.com/wahelp/
Redundancy alarm!

Run
10 Jan 2007, 15:00
Redundancy alarm!

Pipes never answered the question, so maybe Lex was trying to catch him a second time ;)

(that's the excuse I'd use anyway http://www.nanacide.com/images/Emoticons/c00lbert.gif)

pipes100
10 Jan 2007, 17:38
Pipes never answered the question, so maybe Lex was trying to catch him a second time ;)

(that's the excuse I'd use anyway http://www.nanacide.com/images/Emoticons/c00lbert.gif)

Well, the question has nothing to do with my inquiry though. I understand you want people to be up to date, sure, but unless this issue was fixed in the latest beta (which it was'nt) then it is not relevent.

bonz
10 Jan 2007, 18:15
but unless this issue was fixed in the latest beta (which it was'nt) then it is not relevent.What issue?
It's the N64 version that's "broken" in this reagard. http://www.smiliemania.de/smilie132/00000288.gif

pipes100
10 Jan 2007, 18:31
What issue?
The issue of not being able to adjust anything in Single Player mode. I'm not saying its a bug but an issue. The same one I've been talking about this whole time.

It's the N64 version that's "broken" in this reagard. http://www.smiliemania.de/smilie132/00000288.gif

I not sure exactly what you're saying here, but if your saying that because the N64 nicely gives you the freedom to adjust things in Single Player (if you want) means it's "broken", then logically speaking, I think you are wrong.

Melon
10 Jan 2007, 18:39
Ah yes, but it also let's you manipulate the settings for Deathmatch, so you could, in theory, make it easier. Where would the challenge in that be? I've never played the N64 version, so I don't know if you unlock anything for completing Deathmatch, and if you do, then it's bad that you can change it's settings. In my opinion anyway.

Still, I suppose it would be nice to adjust some of the quick game settings, like how you can quickly adust the hotseat games with those 6 buttons below the weapon and game menu buttons. I can't see it being implemented in a new patch though. There's better things for Deadcode to be working on.

pipes100
10 Jan 2007, 19:15
Ah yes, but it also let's you manipulate the settings for Deathmatch, so you could, in theory, make it easier. Where would the challenge in that be? I've never played the N64 version, so I don't know if you unlock anything for completing Deathmatch, and if you do, then it's bad that you can change it's settings. In my opinion anyway.

Still, I suppose it would be nice to adjust some of the quick game settings, like how you can quickly adust the hotseat games with those 6 buttons below the weapon and game menu buttons. I can't see it being implemented in a new patch though. There's better things for Deadcode to be working on.

All true Melon. However, as far as Deathmatch, I can see why people would think it makes it easier but that's not really the case. It simply makes it more fair to play and takes some of the luck out of the worm turns. I don't think its fair when you have a great oppurtunity to take out some enemy worms to miss out because the worm it randomly picked for you is on the bottom level of the terrian or something and they're on the top. Or being able to save a dying worm is about to get fraged by getting him the hell out of there.

Having more time to get to a location also I don't think is "cheating" or making it too easy. It's just allowing you more time to do what you need to do and selecting your worms gives you the oppurtunity to pick out a stratigic starting point.

And remember the enemy also takes advantage from more time and selecting worms, so the playing field is the same, it just more fair and seems more sensible this way.

Lyndon
10 Jan 2007, 19:25
Only way to do it is with a resource hacker, if you unpack the latest Beta, then use a Resource Hacker, go under schemes, and manually edit the default hex values for a quick scheme game, save, then repack the game

pipes100
10 Jan 2007, 19:28
Only way to do it is with a resource hacker, if you unpack the latest Beta, then use a Resource Hacker, go under schemes, and manually edit the default hex values for a quick scheme game, save, then repack the game

When I get some more skills AND software, I probably do this. Thanks.

bonz
10 Jan 2007, 22:11
I not sure exactly what you're saying here, but if your saying that because the N64 nicely gives you the freedom to adjust things in Single Player (if you want) means it's "broken", then logically speaking, I think you are wrong.
I was joking.

My guess is, that the guys who ported the game to the N64 (not Team17) put in these additional options to compensate for the worse control with a console's controller.

On the PC version this isn't necessary at all. All the deathmatches and missions can easily be beat.
Try it first and you'll be rewarded with unlocks and the Full Wormage in the end.

franpa
11 Jan 2007, 01:40
your insane if you require 60 seconds (or more) to consistently win. (excluding RR's and similar style games)

pipes100
11 Jan 2007, 05:05
your insane if you require 60 seconds (or more) to consistently win. (excluding RR's and similar style games)

Jesus Crist Franpa, I don't require 90 seconds to consistantly win. Did I ever God DAMN say that!! It's called a preference. I can win just fine, I've been been playing for many years.

There's is nothing wrong with having 90 seconds to do what you need to, even if I don't use it, it nice that it there. Sometimes I only need 5, sometime the situation requires a lot more to achieve a goal. Why the hell is it an option then?

Just because you've never played the game long enough to be stuck on corner of the terrian and you need to get to the middle, then ninja rope through a hole leading to a upper section, then make your way to the last enemy worm at the edge to finally get a clear shot. Other times, you need to hide and protect worm, so you place him tucked away somewhere, then switch to another worm and get him to a good sniping point. If you've ever played the game, I'm sure you could come up with scenorios also that might require some time to execute.

I don't know about you by I try to incorporate a little strategy, plan my move so I do maximum amount of damage and then plan a good escape route every turn.

But maybe you're one of these guys who thinks he's a god at Worms and everyone else is inferior and only your opinion matters. Quit trying to pick a fight by throwing out insults. Just cause we love bazookas and holyhand grenades doesn't mean we can't play nice. Jesus!:rolleyes:

franpa
11 Jan 2007, 05:28
eh, i only did the missions... multiplayer games never really need much time for a persons turn...

pipes100
11 Jan 2007, 05:58
eh, i only did the missions... multiplayer games never really need much time for a persons turn...

Alright, dude. Whatever...

pipes100
11 Jan 2007, 08:31

I did get a resource hacker program. Unpacked the WA.exe, went under "schemes" and there's like 15 numbered items or so but none have hex values that I can see or edit. Take a look at the screenshot to see what I mean. Everything else has hex values but not the items within the schemes folder. Oh well, I'll keep trying. Now I'm determined.

franpa
11 Jan 2007, 12:42
All true Melon. However, as far as Deathmatch, I can see why people would think it makes it easier but that's not really the case. It simply makes it more fair to play and takes some of the luck out of the worm turns. I don't think its fair when you have a great oppurtunity to take out some enemy worms to miss out because the worm it randomly picked for you is on the bottom level of the terrian or something and they're on the top. Or being able to save a dying worm is about to get fraged by getting him the hell out of there.

the PC version lacks a random turn order... the missions have it set and in multi player the turn order is random... but once the game has started the turn order is set... also pc version never has had any randomness in what order the worms in a given team are chosen.

CyberShadow
11 Jan 2007, 15:13
http://thecybershadow.net/dump/27f1dfa2c97a9e5f964596e4f7269170/00000299.png

Ooh, what program is that?

Anyway, that binary data is in the same format as the scheme files. Just export it to something with a .wsc extension, edit it with any scheme editor out there and import it back to your EXE.