PDA

View Full Version : Bug: Fading and slowness

canofworms
29 Dec 2006, 08:25
In the latest Deadcode beta, I have noticed the following bugs:

1. The fading on the logos has stopped again (But read the notes at the bottom!)

2. The actual movement of the menu is slow. I'm not doing anything CPU Intensive, just my disk is very fragmented. This is fixed with the registry patch, though thought you might want to know some hardware so you can investigate the causes.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP2
CPU: Athlon 64 3200+ (Socket 939)
Motherboard: Foxconn CK804KS8MA
System Memory: 1024 MB
Video Card / Driver Revision: nVidia GeForce 6600 LE (PCI-E). Driver version 78.01
Sound Card / Driver Revision: nVidia nForce 4 CK804 Integrated Audio Controller (Driver unknown).
DirectX Revision: 9.0c
Nature of the problem: Slowness in menus, plus no fading on logos.
Steps to recreate: Fire up the game, and look at the logos. Plus on the menu, look how fast the stars are, and try moving the mouse. Wont be as responsive as I thought.

Note:

I have also been playing the game under Cedega (Lets Windows games run on Linux). It works really well, and I don't get these problems, though problems I do get include the ability to highlight all buttons on various screens (though it doesn't affect clicking them, and some sounds (e.g. the one that plays when you lose training) loops infinitely.

Lex
29 Dec 2006, 09:42
In the latest Deadcode beta, I have noticed the following bugs:

2. The actual movement of the menu is slow. I'm not doing anything CPU Intensive, just my disk is very fragmented. This is fixed with the registry patch, though thought you might want to know some hardware so you can investigate the causes.

Video Card / Driver Revision: nVidia GeForce 6600 LE (PCI-E). Driver version 78.01

...This "slow menu" bug is a well-known bug for the nVidia GeForce 6X00 series of video cards. I also get this with my GeForce 6800XT. The slow-menu workaround does its job nicely. This bug isn't present with ATI cards and older GeForce cards. I'm not sure about the GeForce 7X00 series.

bonz
29 Dec 2006, 10:57
Use the SlowFrontendWorkaround_On.reg in your install directory.

Lex
29 Dec 2006, 13:04
Bonz, he already said:This is fixed with the registry patch, though thought you might want to know some hardware so you can investigate the causes.Oh, you were just saying that to help others coming to this thread. I see.

Alien King
29 Dec 2006, 13:13
Wasnt the removal of fading on the logos intentional?

Lex
29 Dec 2006, 13:17
The logo-fading wasn't removed. It was just sped up. Yes, that was intentional.

bonz
29 Dec 2006, 20:54
Oh, you were just saying that to help others coming to this thread. I see.
No, I just wasn't reading his post thoroughly enough and was babbling before thinking. :)

canofworms
31 Dec 2006, 08:52
The logo-fading wasn't removed. It was just sped up. Yes, that was intentional.

I think Deadcode needs to slow it down again :P

Its fast on my brother PC, normal speed in Cedega and doesnt appear on my PC.

franpa
31 Dec 2006, 11:39
yea its been sped up to the point that you cant really notice it which is ashame... i like the fading... maybe allow us to enable it via a switch?

Run
31 Dec 2006, 15:30
A switch? To toggle between the speeds of fading in-and-out on the title screens?

That would categorically be the Most Inconsequential Toggle Option in Any Program, Ever. http://www.nanacide.com/images/Emoticons/rolleyes.gif

franpa
1 Jan 2007, 01:13
?

a switch for tho's who are bothered enough to do something about it would be nice...

like c:\wa\wa.exe -slowmenufade

or something similar.

canofworms
1 Jan 2007, 07:13
I think W:A has been overpatched (a bit like Windows).

There are so many changes (like the fading, frontend fix, timer fix) to make it work for every single device, that it has just become unmanageable. Thats probably the reason (why I am shouting at) CyberShadow who is writing a new Frontend.

To be honest with all of you, I think W:A need a complete rewrite from scratch. Thats just my personal opinion, DeadCode is free to do what he wants (he will know better than me, having the code). Then again, I havent told MS to scrap Windows and start from scratch on that :p

CyberShadow
1 Jan 2007, 14:49
To be honest with all of you, I think W:A need a complete rewrite from scratch.Completely agreeing with you. Except for the game logic/physics engine, of course - we still want gameplay compatibility with older versions. Otherwise, well, it'll be a completely different game.