PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer connection problem

holek
23 Dec 2006, 16:56
Hi.
When i want to join any game the only thing I get is some counting from 40 to 0 and at the end of it I'm getting a message that i can't connect to the server... I have oryginal worms armagedon and i don't know what to do if i want to play online. My game version is 3.6.26.5 Beta.
Can someone help me?

Vercetti
25 Dec 2006, 10:45
Can other people join that server? Some hosts don't have port 17011 open or they have their IP address set wrong in WA, so no one can join them.

A firewall could be preventing you from connecting to port 17011 but that's unlikely since most hardware firewalls only block incoming connections and don't block outgoing by default. Application firewalls are an exception but they usually pop up a message asking if you want to allow WA.exe to access all or nothing.

Run
27 Dec 2006, 20:55
An application firewall could prevent you from connecting to games, so check also check your firewall.

Is that true? I thought that if you could get on WormNET, then you already have the right port open (6667) to join games.

CyberShadow
28 Dec 2006, 00:33
Well, 6667 is the port for IRC. Since WormNET consists of two parts (http://wiki.thecybershadow.net/WormNET_(Worms_Armageddon)) - the IRC and HTTP part, your computer needs to be able to connect to other computers on ports 80 (HTTP) and 6667 (IRC).

Port 80 is rarely blocked intentionally, as it is used for the most common activity related to the Internet - web browsing. Note that some networks may force users to use an HTTP proxy server, in which case these unfortunate users only have access to the WWW, and none of other Internet commodities, such as IRC, IM, games, etc.

Port 6667 may sometimes be blocked in university and corporal networks to prevent students/employees chatting at university/work.

To be able to join games, however, you also need to be able to connect to port 17011. I don't know of a reason why would it be specifically blocked, unless the network administrator specifically allowed only a certain number of ports.

Please don't confuse the above with ports you need to forward; the above are ports open on other computers, which your computer needs to connect to. Hosting games requires others to be able to connect to your port number 17011, which is a different issue.