PDA

View Full Version : Running Normal under Widescreen?

TonY
14 Dec 2006, 23:11
Is there a way to have it not stretch the display under widescreen laptops??

DragonQ
14 Dec 2006, 23:18
Set the resolution to the same as your desktop resolution (which shouldn't be stretched). To do this you'll need the latest patch and beta update.

TonY
15 Dec 2006, 00:09
Oh, I mean is there a way to do like 800x600 as a small window within the widescreen, like can you just leave black stuff off to the sides?

Thx

DragonQ
15 Dec 2006, 00:16
Yeah there is - it'll be somewhere in your Display Properties settings (Control Panel -> Display Properties -> Settings Tab -> Advanced). Just have a look through there - it'll be in a different location depending on the graphics card and drivers installed.

M3ntal
15 Dec 2006, 01:29
TonY, i just added some widescreen resolutions to my display settings using Powerstrip, and then selected them in the W:A options. That way it doesn't get stretched or have nothing at the sides, it just shows you more of the map instead. Try 960x600 instead of 800x600, widescreen monitors tend to work on a 16:10 aspect ratio (not 16:9, like widescreen TV's).

Menu's will still be 640x480 though.

DragonQ
15 Dec 2006, 01:32
No, he means for the menus I think - in-game you can obviously choose Widescreen resolutions that your monitor/driver supports.

TonY
15 Dec 2006, 04:26
I meant in-game actually... and I've tried power strip and its custom resolutions.

Everything works, they show up in W:A... however there's a problem: the game doesn't show the right part of the screen... literally it seems to think that my monitor is showing more than it really is for some reason (on the right side, specifically). That means that I can rope off my screen. It doesn't follow the worm for a roper because it thinks that my monitor has gotten to the right side so it doesn't scroll farther, but in fact the right side is off of my monitor.

Not sure if any of that made sense, but if it did, any help?

DragonQ
15 Dec 2006, 08:16
But why can't you just use 1280x800 or whatever your monitor's "Native Resolution" is?

franpa
15 Dec 2006, 08:41
he has his monitor set wider then can be shown...

refer to this diagram xD

`a) [---]
b) -[---]-

- = area of screen drawn to
[] = edge of physical monitor

a) is what most see and b is what he experiences... he needs to adjust the settings on his monitor while playing the game at desired resolution so he can see everything.

hopefully i worded this right... i added a ` before the a) because i cant place multiple spaces after each other to line it up xD

TonY
15 Dec 2006, 10:17
The worms are way too small on 1280x800 or whatever. I got used to playing on 800x600 on a CRT and now this widescreen laptop is ****ing me off.

I don't know how to adjust my monitor to make it so that I can see everything. Oh, and it looks more like [---]- in my case where all the dashes are what the game thinks I see and the three dashes in the brackets are what I actually see.

I think it's a bug in the game, however I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure I followed all the correct steps to create the custom resolutions in Powerstrip, but when I load them in W:A it still does what I described before where it shows part of the screen off-screen.

Thank you for all your suggestions so far, but do you have any more? I'm still not sure how to fix the problem.

DragonQ
15 Dec 2006, 11:24
If it's a laptop, you really should use the Native Resolution of the LCD Panel - likely to be 1280x768 or 1280x800 - using 800x600 is a bit silly because while the worms are "bigger", they are really just zoomed in, thus pixelated, and you can't see much of the landscape.

Otherwise I'm not sure what the problem is. Most LCD Panels on laptops don't have specific drivers so you can't reinstall those...reinstalling the graphics drivers and then reinstalling Worms Armageddon may help, but I have a feeling that because you're trying to play at a non-native resolution, it's up to both the monitor and the monitor drivers - in either case, it may not be fixable...

M3ntal
15 Dec 2006, 19:49
That's weird, i also have a small part of the right hand side missing. It doesn't sound as bad as yours, but i can't see the coloured blocks next to peoples names.

::Edit::
Before anyone chimes in with instructions on setting the V and H stretch on the monitor, it's not that ;).

Glacian22
18 Jan 2007, 06:50
I know that there's no widescreen support for WWP despite using essential the same rendering engine as WA, but does anyone know of a workaround? Or is there any way to cajole, coerce, or otherwise convince Team17 to make this minor patch? Thanks

Lex
18 Jan 2007, 09:21
Team17's two WA developers are working on something that'll give WWP owners everything WA owners have.

Vercetti
18 Jan 2007, 09:32
I've had part of the screen missing when running WA and WWP on a laptop. I think it's a Windows video driver/settings problem.

I have a 1280x800 display. If I set WA to run at 1280x768 or 1280x720 then a right section of the screen is missing, so I can't see the weapon panel. I have no problem with 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 or 1280x800. This is with Direct-X 9.0c, XP SP2 and Radeon IGP 320M. I can't use any of the video card drivers on ATI's site, I can only use the drivers included with XP or the drivers that came with the laptop. This is not an issue for me since I play WA in 1280x800 and I haven't played WWP for a year.

Lex
18 Jan 2007, 09:57
Of course, your problem isn't really a problem, considering the only problem you have is when you set WA to a wrong resolution for your display.

rednecks
18 Jan 2007, 15:26
ive been running wa on a widescreen for 2 years, i have it set at 1280x768, you get everything on screen with no problems

Glacian22
18 Jan 2007, 20:32
Team17's two WA developers are working on something that'll give WWP owners everything WA owners have.

Beautiful! If you hear anything more on this front, let the rest of us know :)

Etho
20 Jan 2007, 07:15
You are able to set any custom resolution you desire by manually editting DisplayXSize and DisplayYSize in your w:a registry. Just make sure you know what you are doing or you can kill your monitor. Check your recommended monitor settings and graphic card abilities before attempting to do this.

I was able to get my w:a running perfectly at 1360x768 by doing this... an option that was not available to me in w:a.

WildFire
25 Jan 2007, 20:07
Very interested to hear more on this front also - I've just come here to try and find out a solution for no widescreen on WWP!

Glacian22
15 Feb 2007, 00:11
Any new news on a widescreen patch for World Party?