PDA

View Full Version : Some kind of a bug, I guess...

Kurrus
25 Nov 2006, 19:26
EDIT: before anyone kills me, I post this more as a warning. If it can be fixed, please do so.

If you try to open the Map Editor with Spyware Terminator running, and it blocks the "Landgen.exe" file, you get a Black screen of Death, and there is no way to escape, only restarting.
It's SO annoying!

Hope it gets fixed in 4.0!

M3ntal
25 Nov 2006, 19:58
Spyware Terminator is the thing crashing your PC, you should hope they fix that, not that someone fixes W:A ;).

bonz
25 Nov 2006, 21:51
Doesn't that program have an exclusion list?

franpa
26 Nov 2006, 00:12
the game w:a should have a method of finding whether or not it itself was successful at launching landgen.exe and have some form of a fall back if it fails to launch/call that exe file.

thus this could be looked at as a bug in w:a

bonz
26 Nov 2006, 00:15
the game w:a should have a method of finding whether or not it itself was successful at launching landgen.exe and have some form of a fall back if it fails to launch/call that exe file.

thus this could be looked at as a bug in w:a
Huh?
If his spyware program erroneously blocks landgen.exe why should it be W:A's fault?
He should set up the tool correctly.

franpa
26 Nov 2006, 00:18
w:a should know whether what it did was successful or not.... as this would allow easier debugging of problems like this one. (by debugging i mean finding the source of the problem which in this case is a 3rd party software problem...) because if it finds it has failed at something it could display a user friendly message saying "an error has occurred and this program will now shut down" (or it could take you back to the main menu.)

CyberShadow
26 Nov 2006, 02:25
W:A doesn't use LandGen.exe since the first beta (3.5). Update your game.

Kurrus
30 Nov 2006, 11:08
I have my game updated and it does.

I actually found the easy solution, just deactivate it while playing.

And I didn't say it was W:A's fault:
If it can be fixed, please do so.

CyberShadow
30 Nov 2006, 11:19
I have my game updated and it does.

Are you sure you mean the beta updates, and not the 3.0 patch?

On the 28th April of 2002, Deadcode has converted the Landgen.exe program to a thread function, which ran from W:A. This improved performance when generating maps, and resolved a number of issues.

If you still don't agree, try renaming Landgen.exe or moving it to another folder. A properly patched an updated version of Worms:Armageddon will work perfectly fine without the file.