PDA

View Full Version : we want your maps

rednecks
18 Nov 2006, 02:40
hey guys, ive started www.clanaf1.com and would like to take maps from people to put them on the site for others to dl. i have not long started learning about web making so all the mistakes you may see around the site are their because i am in no way a pro, but i am trying.

We want to make a good map section with as many diff types of maps you can make. if you send a map it will be put on and under you own named map section.

Thought it would be nice to invite people to spread their maps about after putting the effort in to making them.

when sending them please include your worms name and clan if your in one.

thanks

redneck

redneck@clanaf1.com

[UFP]Ghost
18 Nov 2006, 02:50
omg dan, if you need maps for tha clan site, you know i have thousands.

rednecks
18 Nov 2006, 02:57
joe i have been asking every one for a week now for all the maps they have and you have been silent, joe what i want is maps sent in by the author, we have a "**** loads of maps" dl in our dl section.

any you have made joe send to my personal email ok

[UFP]Ghost
18 Nov 2006, 03:02
why don't i just send you maps all the, well most ahve names on them, and i have way more than that **** load of maps thing has, thousands more. i'm expecting another 2,500 hundred from someone soon.

collectivly through my dvd, my worms folder and other random places on my comp i have about 20 k maps.

rednecks
18 Nov 2006, 03:09
lol, if you want to sort them into some order and make individule folders for each author then help me upload then sure, lets do it but im sure alot of the maps are very old and not colour, with a new site for maps and people sending in THIER work then its a new up to date map place, you get me?

[UFP]Ghost
18 Nov 2006, 03:12
omg what you talking about the old maps were skillz, especially with the effort put into designs pixels and such now it's must easier with color. look at dogma's maps, bloopy's maps. Older forts maps. The list goes on.

evilworm2
18 Nov 2006, 03:25
Ghost;544489']omg what you talking about the old maps were skillz, especially with the effort put into designs pixels and such now it's must easier with color. look at dogma's maps, bloopy's maps. Older forts maps. The list goes on.

You are definitely right. Most of the new maps look like they've been drawn by a 7 year old child.

rednecks
18 Nov 2006, 03:37
lol i agree to some degree.

[UFP]Ghost
18 Nov 2006, 05:36
You are definitely right. Most of the new maps look like they've been drawn by a 7 year old child.

thanks my boy, i completely believe what i'm saying :)

Jerry
18 Nov 2006, 07:33
Hey Ghost
Btw: Do you make new MapPack?:D

[UFP]Ghost
18 Nov 2006, 13:38
i see this as like Torah, for generations my hard drive will be handed down to wormers until 1 brilliant man decides to sort the maps into a neat little thing and send everyone a copy :P

littlebee
18 Nov 2006, 14:32
Why wouldn't the Worms Map DataBase be this repository already? It has one-click uploading, sorts by artist name or scheme, features ratings/downloads to help you know what's popular, and a sensible URL.

www.wmdb.org (http://www.wmdb.org)

Evil Bunny
18 Nov 2006, 15:22
Don't put my maps on yer site, tnx.

[UFP]Ghost
18 Nov 2006, 17:38
Why wouldn't the Worms Map DataBase be this repository already? It has one-click uploading, sorts by artist name or scheme, features ratings/downloads to help you know what's popular, and a sensible URL.

www.wmdb.org (http://www.wmdb.org)

nah i like the place but there are sites with way more maps and with old ones also. sfx has one of the best archives i'v seen in a long while. I went through and dl'd everysingle 1 :p.

rednecks
18 Nov 2006, 17:54
evilbunny i respect your request not to be on the site and thats fine :) joe start to sort your maps out and we will do some thing with them

bonz
18 Nov 2006, 19:14
Why would you host other peoples maps on your clan page, which probably won't last that long?
Why not compile a new powerpack (like Rastamahata did before) and host that one on blamethepixel.com?

rednecks
18 Nov 2006, 20:11
Why would you host other peoples maps on your clan page, which probably won't last that long?
Why not compile a new powerpack (like Rastamahata did before) and host that one on blamethepixel.com?

The answer in short is , Why not?

It does not matter to me how many people visit but its some thing i want to do. if no one sends me any maps then i dont loose any thing, just wanted to help promote peoples maps. dont see how this affects any one in a bad way.

[UFP]Ghost
18 Nov 2006, 21:30
The answer in short is , Why not?

It does not matter to me how many people visit but its some thing i want to do. if no one sends me any maps then i dont loose any thing, just wanted to help promote peoples maps. dont see how this affects any one in a bad way.

what if you rape someone one night when your very lonely and you go to trial and win off a technicality in the law. Then you get a bad name and people see others maps on your site and thats negative to them!

bonz
18 Nov 2006, 21:55
Well, wmdb.org has established as the #1 source for color maps.
I'd like to see them expand their range and host .bit maps too or someone else makes a new site for them with the same quality and features that wmdb has.

Until then, a single package with all the .bit maps (or a powerpack including speechbanks, flags, graves, schemes, fanfares and sfx packs) will be more useful in my opinion since the amount of maps is incredible.

Also, I think a clan should only host maps made by its members.

On second thought, I don't play non-color maps anyway and haven't changed my grave/flag/speechbank in a long time, so I actually don't care.

littlebee
19 Nov 2006, 16:29
It doesn't seem like a bad project at all to want to create a maps site, especially just for the exercise of creating that site. Good luck!

rednecks
20 Nov 2006, 04:32
i dont see how this has turned into a why bother topic, all i asked for is donations of maps people have made,

thanks littlebee, its nice to just do some thing some times.

Metal Alex
20 Nov 2006, 22:51
I've made a pair... But I would like to post them on blame the pixel first...

Why? I saw that page first :p

BOGGY Bs cousin
21 Nov 2006, 00:29
Haha, nice.

M3ntal
21 Nov 2006, 01:06
Ghost;544598']sfx has one of the best archives i'v seen in a long while. I went through and dl'd everysingle 1 :p.
joe start to sort your maps out and we will do some thing with them
No you don't. I spent a good amount of time going through 3 years worth of SFX map packs to create that map cart, the contents of which were given to us directly by the authors, and some with the specific wish that only SFX was to host them for download. This is one of the main reasons i made the new map cart - the old one had been broken for ages, and many of these maps simply can't be found elsewhere.

You are welcome to the maps given to us by TonY from rrkit.com provided that rrkit also say the same, and of course any that have been freely released by their authors, although don't ask me for a list as i have no idea and it'd take an age to work out.

As a general rule, maps from the SFX site are for downloading and playing on only, unless you specifically know the author has released them publicly or has given you permission to host them.

Your best bet to gain content is to either let people upload their own maps via your website or give them an email address to submit maps to. That's how WMDB do it, that's how RRkit do it, and that how we do it.

In this thread for example, you should only be using maps that are being given by their authors, or in the case of clan maps, clan leaders.

rednecks
22 Nov 2006, 08:30
sorry liam i forgot you were the head of all things WA. If i want to offer maps from my site then i will dont think you can start telling people what contents they can have, evil bunny asked not for his maps to go on and i shall respect that.

Ive asked for people to send their maps and thats fine. Should we want to look at joes maps and use some well so what! we aint publishing copy write material you know

rednecks
22 Nov 2006, 08:34
I've made a pair... But I would like to post them on blame the pixel first...

Why? I saw that page first :p

lol ok. send them my way when you get the chance

M3ntal
22 Nov 2006, 12:18
sorry liam i forgot you were the head of all things WA.:/
If i want to offer maps from my site then i will dont think you can start telling people what contents they can have, evil bunny asked not for his maps to go on and i shall respect that.

Ive asked for people to send their maps and thats fine. Should we want to look at joes maps and use some well so what! we aint publishing copy write material you know
That's fair enough, i didn't mean to sound so harsh about it, it just sounded like you were about to upload all SFX's maps to your site. Although all artwork is automatically copyrighted to the person who creates it, i doubt anyone is going to take legal action over some W:A maps, i'm just saying don't start leeching maps from other sites as it may **** some people off.

Lex
22 Nov 2006, 12:29
Agreed. Many of those maps have SfX's site (http://clansfx.co.uk)'s URL written on them, even.

Run
22 Nov 2006, 12:54
we aint publishing copy write material you know

Hypothetically, if you were to provide a short critical commentary of each map, you could claim Fair Use ;)

rednecks
22 Nov 2006, 14:15
at no point did i say i was taking maps from sfx, joe said he had tons of maps and then said sfx had a good map section, which it does.

Lex my whole point here is GIVE ME YOUR MAPS ive had some emails from people already with there maps, which i have not edited with my webpage name! thats not for me to do. all maps on the page are untouched by myself, unless the maker cant save in correct format, then i would have to save in the png-8 format.

I see no reason for any reply to this thread now.

as i said at the start, if you want your maps on the site please send them to me

bonz
22 Nov 2006, 14:33
I think it is quite redundant to host the same maps that are already hosted on major sites like wmdb.org, blamethepixel.com or major clan sites.

Maybe you should aim for the good maps that are not found anywhere else. (The emphasis is on "good" here.)

rednecks
22 Nov 2006, 17:05
im doing what i want to do bonz, that is hosting maps for people want me too, dont know why u appear so offended by this

Metal Alex
22 Nov 2006, 17:46
im doing what i want to do bonz, that is hosting maps for people want me too, dont know why u appear so offended by this

duh? he isn't... he says that it's better to put maps not available anywhere else... so your site can get more visits.

So, it was actually advice

bonz
22 Nov 2006, 18:42
Indeed.

I have only made 5 (color) maps and hosted them on wmdb.org.
If I will ever make a map again (:D) I will surely host them there too, as there is nothing simpler to remember than www.wmdb.org/bonz.

I (and many other W:A players, I suppose) only play color maps. So I almost exclusively visit wmdb.org to get maps or to find new ones by specific authors, which is quite easy due to their database structure.
Besides, it's illogical to search for maps on a clan site if the map author is not in that clan.

If you want your site to become linchpin in Worms maps you have to come up with something new, as the competition of wmdb.org and blamethepixel.com is too high.
Host the powerpack that [UFP]Ghost is compiling, for example.

evilworm2
22 Nov 2006, 19:29
I see no reason for any reply to this thread now.

Lol. Don't make a thread if you don't want replies from the guys.
AF1 really makes me laugh.

raffie
22 Nov 2006, 21:23
I can entirely see why map makers wouldn't want their maps published on a certain clan's site when that isnt theirs, I dont want my maps there as I'd like my maps up on A: the sites where I have uploaded them, B: my own clan's site, C: any1 who wants to put them on a site that isnt some clan's site that I'm not in.

Perfect
24 Nov 2006, 07:59
Lol. Don't make a thread if you don't want replies from the guys.
AF1 really makes me laugh.
You are pathetic.

It surprises me how many of you self-acclaimed big shots talk smack and slander against innocent wormers who are just out to prosper worms and have fun.

It even shocks me to see that some of you are arguing distributing rights over maps.

Alot of oldskool maps wouldn't even be around if it weren't for the dedicated small wormers who wanted to upload and share a map because he/she thought it was ***age. That small wormer shared that map to the world for his/her own reasons with nothing but good intentions, and the author should be happy that people enjoy and shared their map.
No one is discrediting anyone. Those who share other wormers maps are only contributing to the wormy process; long live and prosper worms. :D

Unless the map has printed distributing rights on it, then it is to be assumed that the map is free to distribute with the acception that the author be given credit and that the author's map not be distributed in vain.

Its hilarious that their are people out there who try to claim distibuting rights over other wormers maps. Hahaha ya make me laugh... Hearing this only makes me want to go out and download everyones maps and put em up to download at my own crappy place. xD

evilworm2
24 Nov 2006, 09:27
Blah

You don't know what you are talking about.

KRD
24 Nov 2006, 12:41
Read this bit again, Perf & Rednex.

No you don't. I spent a good amount of time going through 3 years worth of SFX map packs to create that map cart, the contents of which were given to us directly by the authors, and some with the specific wish that only SFX was to host them for download. This is one of the main reasons i made the new map cart - the old one had been broken for ages, and many of these maps simply can't be found elsewhere.

Yes, nobody's going to sue you if you go against the wishes of a map-maker. But it definitely would be nice to make sure just how many people's wishes you'll be going against.

*Butts out.*

bonz
24 Nov 2006, 16:03
Ehrm, these maps are just images. Thus, the author indeed has the copyright to them. :rolleyes:

M3ntal
24 Nov 2006, 17:19
Perfect, the majority of maps on SFX *are* freely available to download and upload wherever. I was just making sure people knew that a few aren't.