PDA

View Full Version : Weapons that may or may not make it into the game

Chip
13 Nov 2006, 12:28
Daedcode said that he has plans to make a weapon editor just like the fiddler but more advanced, I am really looking foward to this even though I know it wont be ready for something like 3 more years.

But if the weapon editor comes out just like the fiddler and by that I mean only allowing you to make weapons that work like weapons allready in the game then many new possibilities are lost.

Below are some weapons that I wish to make but do not follow rules or laws that any other weapons uses, in other words the following weapons could only be made if the game has new stuff written into it.

Firestorm cannon, just like on Turok 2, its a minigun but on impact the bullets cause fire, in WA it'll basicaly be the minigun profile but the bullets will cause fire droplets to spawn in when they hit something.

Lascannon, a weapon which fires through the terrain and cuts the terrain withit, basically it's like a weapon that can shoot out a kamakazie worm as a projectile (Kamakazie worms cut throguh the terrain and causes damage with it)

Gas grenade, a simple greanade but after the first timer has gone, it'll release the gas cloud for a few seconds. In the Fiddler, the only thing that could release a gas cloud was roaming weapons like the Skunk, Sheep, Cow ect...

Straifing run, a number of Air crafts fly by air striking the same marked location. Basically its an air strike but instead of just 1 ship flying by, a certain number of them will fly by. With the Fiddler this is kind of possible, but thats by allowing the weapon to make multiple goes just like the shotgun. I want my weapon to happen simultaniousaly one after another with no pause or worms actions taken place between the shots.

Plasma gun, a rifle weapon that shoots a non wind responsive projectile, but the weapon will continuasly shoot a number of shots equal to the number you set on the keyboad as if you were using a hearding weapon (Cows) The number os shots will also use remaing ammo (just like the Cows)
Basically I pick up a weapon crate that says "Plasma gun x3" I then select my weapon and I can choose up to 3 shots with the weapon (since I have 3 ammo) and then press space to fire the weapon and it'll fire each shot one after another but while shooting I can still aim up and down just like any other rifle weapon.

Sniper rifle, a long range rifle weapon with the aiming utillery device built in and the weapon causes great damage to worms but jack all to the terrain.
The aiming line of sight thing (the white dotted lines) from the weapon don't end short but instead will draw a line upto the target so you can see exactly what you will hit. If you enable the "aiming utillery" device as well, it'll double the damage the weapon causes.

Shrinker, a weapon that shoots a non wind responsive projectile that shrinks a worm when it hits them. It doesn't cause any damage but a shrunken worm can't throw grenades as far, can't jump as high / as far and the worm itself will fly much furthur when it gets hit by a blast or melee weapon.

I have thought up loads more but I wont bore you anymore with this :p
I don't ever expect WA to be able to build weapons like this but I can always hope that Team17 will one day release another 2D worms game for the PC which has a built in weapon editor that can do all this :)

KRD
13 Nov 2006, 12:53
Might also want to have a look here: http://www.nanacide.com/worms-unlimited/

Just for completeness.

Metal Alex
13 Nov 2006, 15:16
The only thing I would like to have, is to make a smash bros type mode, via scripting... you know, the higher the "health", the further you go...

If the scripted schemes can be that powerful... I'll make Deadcode my new god

bonz
13 Nov 2006, 17:06
Guess what!
Deadcode has 3 fully rotateable weapons sprites from an original T17 artist.

Sheep-on-a-rope
Laser (like the one from the W2 FMV or the one in Worms Blast)
Black shotgun

He will most definitely make something out of them.

robowurmz
13 Nov 2006, 17:47
[QUOTE=Chip;543541] His suggestions...[QUOTE]

I personally think that all of those would work and would be a great addition to the game.

Ooh. And also I think the bringing back of the Sheep-on-a-rope is great!

Run
13 Nov 2006, 18:48
Lascannon, a weapon which fires through the terrain and cuts the terrain withit, basically it's like a weapon that can shoot out a kamakazie worm as a projectile (Kamakazie worms cut throguh the terrain and causes damage with it)

That's planned, funnily enough. I think so anyway.

Straifing run, a number of Air crafts fly by air striking the same marked location. Basically its an air strike but instead of just 1 ship flying by, a certain number of them will fly by.

If I'm imagining the same thing you're imagining, then it would be better to do away with it being a separate weapon and have the spread of the missiles adjustable for the regular airstrike. A spread of 0 would achieve the desired effect then.

Plasma gun, a rifle weapon that shoots a non wind responsive projectile, but the weapon will continuasly shoot a number of shots equal to the number you set on the keyboad as if you were using a hearding weapon (Cows) The number os shots will also use remaing ammo (just like the Cows)
Basically I pick up a weapon crate that says "Plasma gun x3" I then select my weapon and I can choose up to 3 shots with the weapon (since I have 3 ammo) and then press space to fire the weapon and it'll fire each shot one after another but while shooting I can still aim up and down just like any other rifle weapon.

I'm intrigued. First you say that this is a rifle weapon, which seems to imply that the shots follow a straight path like the Uzi or Shotgun, but then you describe the shots as 'projectiles', which seems to imply something more along the lines of the mortar.

If it's the former, then similar to what I said before it would be better if the shotgun had a "number of shots" parameter that could be adjusted, eliminating the need for this new weapon.

Sniper rifle, a long range rifle weapon with the aiming utillery device built in and the weapon causes great damage to worms but jack all to the terrain.
The aiming line of sight thing (the white dotted lines) from the weapon don't end short but instead will draw a line upto the target so you can see exactly what you will hit. If you enable the "aiming utillery" device as well, it'll double the damage the weapon causes.

Why would enabling the laser sight utility increase the damage? I can't see any logic to that. (It could easily be argued that there doesn't need to be any logic, but I'm just wondering what made you add that particular clause)

I have thought up loads more but I wont bore you anymore with this :p

Oh no, do go on :) I love hearing ideas for weapons.

Chip
14 Nov 2006, 21:02
I'm intrigued. First you say that this is a rifle weapon, which seems to imply that the shots follow a straight path like the Uzi or Shotgun, but then you describe the shots as 'projectiles', which seems to imply something more along the lines of the mortar.

What I mean by projectile is that its something that can be seen, with the current rifle weapons in WA (Handgun, Uzi, Shotgun, Minigun) they just shoot an inmaginary bullet that strikes what ever is in the way of the weapon, you don't see the bullet as its not there.
In a way, what I say is basically what you said about it beeing like a Morta, but used as a rifle.

Why would enabling the laser sight utility increase the damage? I can't see any logic to that. (It could easily be argued that there doesn't need to be any logic, but I'm just wondering what made you add that particular clause)

It enables headshots :D

Oh no, do go on I love hearing ideas for weapons.

If you say so, :)

Cyclone missile launcher, its a missile weapon that fires like a morta but the missiles don't dip quite so soon. The weapon shoots 3 missiles out in one shot, (it shoots one after the other) The missiles don't shoot out at a perfect 100% accuacey (sp), some may shoot out slightly lower then your aimer, some may shoot higher.

Dual barrel shotgun, a double barrel black shotgun which shoots 2 powerful shots in one go, when it fires, both shots are fired out simultanuasly (sp) Each shot is like 35 damage and they don't fire out at perfect accuacey (sp)
Its ideal for causing moderate damage to a group of worms as it'll be nearly impossible for both shots to hit a single worm.

Mine slugger, its basically a sheep launcher but instead of a sheep coming out, its a mine.

Satalite bombaarbment, a perfect vertical laser shoots down lfrom the sky and caused mass damage, the explosion caused isn't just a typical 360 curcle (sp? - why can't I spell today?) it greatly oblitorates accross ways as well.

I have more but I have to go.

Metal Alex
15 Nov 2006, 16:41
Something I would like to see... is more barrel kinds... nobody think about them :p

-gas barrel: The standard one.
-poison barrel: Worms 4 one (during between turns not needed)... and I though about it before the game was even planned :( my idea... kinda stolen...
-powder barrel: The explosion is much bigger and powerful.
-? barrel: something comes out from it after it blows up (only small explosion)... but random! (like mines, sheep, crates, granmas, etc...)
-liquid nitrogen barrel: The icy cloud coming from this blue barrel will freeze any worm touched until their turn comes back... like the freeze weapon, but forced.

The bad part... the sprites :(
but... I wonder if I could try and edit some... just to try... *runs*

Muzer
15 Nov 2006, 17:33

Gas grenade, a simple greanade but after the first timer has gone, it'll release the gas cloud for a few seconds. In the Fiddler, the only thing that could release a gas cloud was roaming weapons like the Skunk, Sheep, Cow ect...

I somehow have seen these done before in the fiddler. Try looking in the fiddler thread and how to get fiddler working on xp... post ur fiddles here

Metal Alex
15 Nov 2006, 20:43
*fails miseably at attempt to draw drums*

Also! look at THIS (http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/worms/wa/anims/gfx/wcanlnk.gif) and THIS (http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/worms/wa/anims/gfx/bible.gif)...

(yeah, each THIS is a link :p)

I mean... the gas canister and the bible... is there a chance?

I imagine the gas canister as a poison dinamite... but what about the bible? maybe it was almost put as a replacement for the holy hand... but afortunately not replaced...

bonz
15 Nov 2006, 23:12
I mean... the gas canister and the bible... is there a chance?
Those two are already available with the Fiddler.
When fiddler schemes are supported by W:A, you'll be able to use them, I'd guess.
I imagine the gas canister as a poison dinamite... but what about the bible? maybe it was almost put as a replacement for the holy hand... but afortunately not replaced...
Yes, AFAIK that's how the cas canister worked: releasing a poisonous cloud like the skunk followed by a blast like the dynamite.
Somehow I remember to have read somewhere that the Bible bomb was supposed to be a cluster bomb with a lot of bomblets.
IIRC, it has been removed due to the possibility that some people (Christians, I suppose) could be offended.
The Holy Hand Grenade has been used instead then.

I don't know for sure about that, maybe Spadge or another teamster involved in development back in the day can give us more info.

Spadge
16 Nov 2006, 09:32
Those two are already available with the Fiddler.
When fiddler schemes are supported by W:A, you'll be able to use them, I'd guess.

Yes, AFAIK that's how the cas canister worked: releasing a poisonous cloud like the skunk followed by a blast like the dynamite.
Somehow I remember to have read somewhere that the Bible bomb was supposed to be a cluster bomb with a lot of bomblets.
IIRC, it has been removed due to the possibility that some people (Christians, I suppose) could be offended.
The Holy Hand Grenade has been used instead then.

I don't know for sure about that, maybe Spadge or another teamster involved in development back in the day can give us more info.

Bible was dropped (not literally) by Microprose who thought it was too much for the mid-western USA to handle.

Gas Canister was dropped as it was also felt this was in poor taste. It was replaced by the Skunk.

M3ntal
16 Nov 2006, 12:03
I like the double-barreled shotgun idea. I always thought that the shotgun should be high damage close up, but hugely inaccurate over distances, and there should be a seperate weapon, maybe "sniper rifle" that you could use for distance shots similar to the current shotgun.

Also, about that mine slugger idea (like sheep launcher but fires mines), i'd love to see some combo weapons in the game instead, such as a generic launcher that you can combine with other weapons (mine, sheep, cow, granny, etc) to fire them a distance before they set off as normal.

Mutliple barrel types would be cool as well, i especially like the idea of a barrel that freezes worms.

[UFP]Ghost
16 Nov 2006, 12:29
I like the double-barreled shotgun idea. I always thought that the shotgun should be high damage close up, but hugely inaccurate over distances, and there should be a seperate weapon, maybe "sniper rifle" that you could use for distance shots similar to the current shotgun.

Also, about that mine slugger idea (like sheep launcher but fires mines), i'd love to see some combo weapons in the game instead, such as a generic launcher that you can combine with other weapons (mine, sheep, cow, granny, etc) to fire them a distance before they set off as normal.

I don't think there should be a gun for long distance, wheres the fun in that?

But i do like the slugger idea, I think it'd be good.

bonz
16 Nov 2006, 13:01
Ghost;544205']I don't think there should be a gun for long distance, wheres the fun in that?
Well, there already is in the form of the shotgun. You can hit worms across the whole level.
I think M3ntal is right.
The shotgun should shoot shrapnel (not a single projectile as it is now) that should do high damage close-up, but due to randomization of the shrapnel parts will spread from medium to large distances.

[UFP]Ghost
16 Nov 2006, 22:02
Well, there already is in the form of the shotgun. You can hit worms across the whole level.
I think M3ntal is right.
The shotgun should shoot shrapnel (not a single projectile as it is now) that should do high damage close-up, but due to randomization of the shrapnel parts will spread from medium to large distances.

I meant the sniper rifle idea, i like using the shotgun for long distance. But i agree with the damage per distance.

Melon
16 Nov 2006, 22:20
Personaly, if I had a fiddler, I'd make clusters do more damage. Who in the world ever uses the mortar and the cluster grenade, except to exploit a certain bug... Then they would be worthwhile. Also, I'd probably change the mortar's clusters so that every time I fire the mortar, they don't come straight back at me. That really annoys me.

And the suicide bomber, I'd make it better too. Its a super weapon and it's awful. I can't imagine anyone ever using it.

Also, I might make a blowpipe like the one from Worms 4, so that I have a gun that can do poison.

Metal Alex
17 Nov 2006, 00:04
ALSO!

I had this idea long time before... but here it is:

-The anchor shot:
You shot an anchor attached to the worm, wich flies like a bazooka... what happens? both are sent flying... and then, the landing (no explosion, or damage for other worms), wich could be just staying in the place, or sliding... then, recovering your turn, if you didn't fall from too high.
If not an anchor, anything, but I think it fits with the comic worms sense :p

bonz
17 Nov 2006, 07:22
If not an anchor, anything
I'd say a stereotypical ball & chain would fit even better.

franpa
17 Nov 2006, 10:06
is there separate damage settings for fire-in-the-hole with cluster nades to there normal use and damage?

pera
17 Nov 2006, 14:10
While we're daydreaming... I'd love to see a "melee combo utility". When used (and it comes in 2, 3, 4 or 5-hit variation), you can use multiple melee weapons (and such harmless things like teleport) in the same turn. No guns, just cold weapons. I'd love to teleport-prod (2-hit combo) that coward worm (that has been hiding in the corner, sending airstrikes and homing missiles) into the water or perhaps just axe-firepunch-firepunch-fireball-teleport_to_safety when I'm outnumbered and surrounded. Combos, especially 4 and 5 hit variations would be quite hard to come by of course.

So, how about it? :)

bonz
17 Nov 2006, 15:49
While we're daydreaming... I'd love to see a "melee combo utility". When used (and it comes in 2, 3, 4 or 5-hit variation), you can use multiple melee weapons (and such harmless things like teleport) in the same turn. No guns, just cold weapons. I'd love to teleport-prod (2-hit combo) that coward worm (that has been hiding in the corner, sending airstrikes and homing missiles) into the water or perhaps just axe-firepunch-firepunch-fireball-teleport_to_safety when I'm outnumbered and surrounded. Combos, especially 4 and 5 hit variations would be quite hard to come by of course.

So, how about it? :)
That would perfectly fit with my earlier suggestions of triggering the melee weapons (F4) with streetfigher/mortal kombat like combinations and the ability to fire any weapons while flying/falling/jumping (Matrix style).

Combined with the "weapon doesn't end turn" Wormpot mode this would lead to endless new possibilities.

Metal Alex
17 Nov 2006, 23:21
I'd say a stereotypical ball & chain would fit even better.

Bullseye! (spelling?)

Squirminator2k
17 Nov 2006, 23:30
Sheep-on-a-rope
Yes. This is the only worthwhile thing I've readon this forum in a Hell of a long time.

yakuza
18 Nov 2006, 14:49

Mutliple barrel types would be cool as well, i especially like the idea of a barrel that freezes worms.

Oh! The weapon combination idea is so awesome, it should be enough for a new 2d worms game!

Kurrus
18 Nov 2006, 21:49
I like the laser idea and the mine launcher one. Perhaps an Alien Abduction-style laser? That doesn't abduct or anything, just does hugeass amounts of damage. Or maybe a thin laser that explodes at contact.

Nice ideas anyway, if Deadcode makes a Weapon editor...

Oooooo! A destroy-everything nuke! A cluster timed Bazooka! A Homing Mad Cow strike! A cluster flamethrower! A homing Prod! A homing Kamikaze! A timed Baseball bat! A Homing Pigeon strike! A Holy hand grenade strike! A super-sheep shotgun! A Cluster Concrete Donkey (rofl)! A Mike's Carpet blowtorch! A homing Dragon Ball!

Endless possibilities...

bonz
18 Nov 2006, 22:22
Perhaps an Alien Abduction-style laser? That doesn't abduct or anything, just does hugeass amounts of damage.
No.

I think the laser should be a 2 shot weapon (like the laser in Worms Blast).
It should only do low damage per shot (maybe 2x 15hp).
It should be pivotable during shooting like the flamethrower.
It should burn trough terrain and leave a tunnel too small for a worm, but big enough for animals to pass through.
It should be time limited like the flamethrower, so if you miss your aim and have to adjust, you can burn through terrain as far anymore with that shot.
Or maybe a thin laser that explodes at contact.
No.

A laser is an energy weapon. It can't detonate random stuff.
I think it shouldn't move the worm at all if it is hit directly, only heat it up till it burns, if it is possible to change the sprites. If not, maybe a very tiny crater where the worm is standing would do. Possible making the worm jump around (like they do on napalm and petrol) would work, only without the flames of course.

Metal Alex
25 Nov 2006, 16:50
I also though of some kind of utylity to do wall jumps... but it could turn to be hard to do because of wall pixels...

anyways, what do you think?

(No extra animation needed, if the ones already ingame are used nicely)

GrimOswald
25 Nov 2006, 23:50
I'm not quite sure what you mean by wall jumps...

And incidently, Sheep-on-a-rope was in Worms DC right? How exactly did it differ from dropping a sheep from a ninja rope like you can already do in W:A?

bonz
26 Nov 2006, 00:07
I'm not quite sure what you mean by wall jumps...

And incidently, Sheep-on-a-rope was in Worms DC right? How exactly did it differ from dropping a sheep from a ninja rope like you can already do in W:A?
The sheep is on the rope instead of the worm. :)
http://forum.team17.co.uk/showpost.php?p=345145&postcount=33

The two lower images depict "Kenny-på-ett-rep", with Kenny Magnusson attached to the rope instead of a sheep. :D
Kenny Magnusson being this guy:
http://web.archive.org/web/19961018190552/http://www.team17.com/T17/garden/party/a.jpe

GrimOswald
26 Nov 2006, 02:06
Wow! And to think I've been living in ignorance all this time. They should definately bring that back.:)

Lyndon
5 Dec 2006, 04:47
wish we could pick up worms with the jetpack and carry them places, and have fuel defined by power (5 = inf)

Id also like a WWP glitche to be in W:A, in WWP if you set shotguns to 0 or 7 I think, the bullet doesnt hurt, the radius is really small and it makes you bounce super high if you shoot yourself, Great fun, used to make racing schemes for that it was awesome