PDA

View Full Version : Help system

TiCpu
24 Oct 2006, 00:33
As suggested by Run from this forum in private and 2 or 3 other wormers, I'm thinking about adding a help system triggered by some words, suggestion at http://ticpu.net:8080/wiki/index.php/Talk:TiBot (click the edit or + button and just add some text) or here, whichever you prefer.

Etho
24 Oct 2006, 01:02
Sounds like a good plan. Here are some of my ideas:

Since your bot will be programmed to respond to specific commands, you can make it whisper information about the bot, and the commands it accepts, back to the player if they do not whisper an acceptable command. Example: Noob1 whispers TiBot "host game please", and TiBot responds with a whisper something like, "TiBot is a worms help system. Use the commands "blah", or "blah2" for help".

If you have the ability, you may want to set up a greeting message system for it. Have it whisper a player as soon as they enter the channel with a message explaining the bot. A good idea would be to establish a greeting list. Instead of sending a greeting message to a player every time they enter the channel, have it send the message only once or twice, and then add the player's name to a list so that it no longer sends them the greeting message. This will allow you to explain your bot to everyone while not turning it into a spam machine.

Although "TiBot" is a cool name, you may want to choose something a little more self explanitory; such as "HelpBot" or "HelpServ". Noobs will not know what a TiBot is, but they will know what a HelpBot is.

Topics: hosting, game types, beta patches, worm files, etc.

franpa
24 Oct 2006, 13:52
it would only be spamming the person that joined... as it would be whispering... thus theres no real need for it to remember you... as you can just ignore it and not exit join in excess amounts within short time frames...

Lex
25 Oct 2006, 17:21
Franpa, it wouldn't be spamming anyone. It'd remember people who've joined so that it doesn't spam them. That is a real need. My, you are silly.