PDA

View Full Version : W:A v4.0? How much is done?

robowurmz
18 Oct 2006, 10:25
Deadcode, since I saw you a couple of days ago I was going to ask...how much of the v4.0 patch is done? In a percentage? Because we've been waiting literally years for it.

Seita
18 Oct 2006, 10:52
How much of the humanity lifetime is past, in percentage ?

Do you realize that to answer such questions, you need to know when it will be finished ?

WA 4.0 is an open project. Each new update heads a bit more to it, but there is no way to tell anything about its completion.

robowurmz
18 Oct 2006, 10:55
I mean, how far he is through all the stuff. Like he could say, "Well, it's around 34% done now, I still have a lot of work ahead of me, like...etc"

M3ntal
18 Oct 2006, 12:04
The list of things to do gets added to constantly.

[UFP]Ghost
18 Oct 2006, 12:40
any chance he will release more patches in between?

KRD
18 Oct 2006, 14:37
Definitely.

bonz
18 Oct 2006, 17:05
17 beers out of a galleon.
And since Deadcode and CyberShdw are only two (instead of a whole Team), it'll take much longer.

Evil Bunny
18 Oct 2006, 21:07
I'm thinkin we should all treat 'm on free beer for an eve when the 4.0 patch is done.

WetflameG
18 Oct 2006, 21:11
I don't mean to be a *****, but this is pretty ridiculous

We were promised this over 2 years ago. I know it's just one(or two) people in their spare time but this really is ridiculous. Most of the changes have been quite minor.

We STILL have no amazing Fiddler substitute. One guy in his spare time managed to make that pretty easy - why not Deadcode, who has the entire source code at this disposal?

I'm sorry, but don't promise things you can't do. I gave up on this project quite some time ago.

I'd be extremely surprised if there ever was a "Worms 4.0" just yearly minor bugfixes from now on.

Team17 would do well to make a new 2D Worms game altogether. I'd rather buy that, than wait an age just to get fiddler features back again. Or **** it, do what ID do, and release the source code. Why not? If Deadcode is too busy, why not let the fans at it?

I know people are going to defend him, but come on; two years. I doubt it took one guy in his spare time that long to code Liero, let alone minor revisions and bug fixes.

Dando
18 Oct 2006, 21:32
The game is "dead" my friend and deadcode does what he does through his love of the game and in his own spare time. Noone has to work on the patch at all and you are lucky ANY have been released in the last few years.

Other games this old usually just get abandoned and left "as is" so stop being so selfish. I can understand your frustration at the time it takes but we have 0 right to criticise.

Too many complaints from people who fail to realise that noone HAS to do the patches and that any is better than 0. If you can do a better job why not demonstrate some skills and ask team17 for the source code...otherwise no complaining.

---

"I don't mean to be a *****" in otherwords you fully acknowledge you ARE being one. Just be patient!

"How long yet" "is it done" "when be done" "why not done" "deadcode could do this or that" "release source code".......and every one of them gets the same answer.....

WetflameG
18 Oct 2006, 21:38
That doesn't matter though - Deadcode made a lot of promises he didn't deliver on. People invest not only in money, but just as much in hope.

Back in the day, people like MrFudge would do things in their spare time without access to the original source code or with the kind of resources Deadcode has. Nobody had to do that, either. But they did. And they didn't make promises - they deliverred.

I'm not trying to lambaste him, just criticise for making these promises in the first place and from what I can see, sticking to them despite it being blatant that they may never see the light of day before everyone's lost interest.

Dando
18 Oct 2006, 21:44
"Deadcode made a lot of promises he didn't deliver on."

As far as I can see it is good he delivered on any and he is still working on patches aswell. It is always possible in the future someone will take over and that eventually the beta 4 patch will be finished.

One of my fave games is Micro machines V3. I went to play it on XP sometime ago but guess what, it is buggy, hardware accel mode aint supported on newer OS and to be quite honest it is in need of ANY patch.

Guess what? That aint gonna happen...noone is doing anything for it. So please think yourself lucky that worms plays well on XP and that future upgrades will happen!

bonz
18 Oct 2006, 21:52
Or **** it, do what ID do, and release the source code. Why not?
You should get your facts straight before talking that big.
T17 can't release the source code as there have been contracted 3rd party programmers working on it back in the day and they still own parts of the copyright.
Also, a handful of different publishers were involved over the years.
Deadcode made a lot of promises he didn't deliver on. People invest not only in money, but just as much in hope.
What promises are you talking about?
Yes, he said what stuff he is intending to do, but he NEVER EVER said that it will be done by October 2006. :rolleyes:
Back in the day, people like MrFudge would do things in their spare time without access to the original source code or with the kind of resources Deadcode has.
Ehrm... ever heard of Silkworm or Anti-Silkworm? Deadcode did them back in the day in his spare time without the source code too.
That's what T17 convinced to give DC the source code in the first place.

Anti-Silk was the first tool that allowed W:A to be played in Win2K/WinXP.
The game would have been dead 5 years ago.

[UFP]Ghost
18 Oct 2006, 22:50
Anti-Silk was the first tool that allowed W:A to be played in Win2K/WinXP.
The game would have been dead 5 years ago.

Check and mate

anyhoo i feel the same way that it's taking a long time but i know that coding especially all the stuff deadcode does will take a long while. It's hard to do, remember he doesn't spend 24/7 doing it so it will take time. Source codes may make it easier but it's not a breeze. Just wait and one day it will be released.

Vader
19 Oct 2006, 09:05
This is hilarious.

Those of you who whinge about Deadcode not finishing v4.0 yet (and I mean viciously, not just "I'm looking forward to this... still!" type of thing) can take your ingrateful pettiness and sod off. I for one have no time for impatience (do you see what I did there?) and certainly won't give the time of day to those who claim that this isn't worth their own time, let alone Deadcode's.

As for asking when it will be released, I think an admin should put a sticky on the forum saying "WA 4.0 will be finished when it is finished" and just have done with it.

The guy's called Deadcode, not deadline. Figure it out for yourselves.

bonz
19 Oct 2006, 09:35
The gay's called Deadcode
Hehe! Classic Freudian slip.

OldSkool
19 Oct 2006, 15:10
This is hilarious.

Those of you who whinge about Deadcode not finishing v4.0 yet (and I mean viciously, not just "I'm looking forward to this... still!" type of thing) can take your ingrateful pettiness and sod off. I for one have no time for impatience (do you see what I did there?) and certainly won't give the time of day to those who claim that this isn't worth their own time, let alone Deadcode's.

As for asking when it will be released, I think an admin should put a sticky on the forum saying "WA 4.0 will be finished when it is finished" and just have done with it.

The gay's called Deadcode, not deadline. Figure it out for yourselves.
Here, here & I raise you a mug of beer. (yes it's lame, but WTH)

Evil Bunny
19 Oct 2006, 19:49
Hmm, well i'm not surprised at any of this. I'm surtainly not amused by the way things have been going and have been proclaiming it will never happen for a while now. I'm glad to hear from DC again after a long time, but in my opinion he's not living up to things. Don't shoot me just yet. I don't mean to say he's not doing a great thing in making these patches. But I feel he took up a responsibility and shouldn't just drop out of sight for a year and not let the people know who are praising him for his good work.

Seriously, what's the harm in dropping a note saying; "hey guys, i'm not gonna be releasing patches for a while. I've been very busy with other stuff but don't worry I'll get back to it when I've sorted things out over here. "

KRD
19 Oct 2006, 19:57
Wouldn't posting encouraging messages like that only pisś people like WetflameG here off even more, though? I mean if he feels "Deadcode made a lot of promises he didn't deliver on" now, how angry would he be if David actually did inform everyone of his progress every now and then?

Seems to me nothing he, or anyone for that matter, could humanly do would please everyone. If you're into inhuman matters, though, feel free to fund the creation of version 4.0 on your own. I hear $$$ does wonders.

Dando
19 Oct 2006, 21:31
"I for one have no time for impatience (do you see what I did there?)" - Vader

Yeah you are impatient of Impatience..nice;)

And I have to agree to those who viciously whinge....sod off:):p

I will now use my crystal ball to tell you all how much has been done!

It is: 73.3937% and each time deadcode farts it goes up by a further 0.0001%

Vader
19 Oct 2006, 22:09
Hehe! Classic Freudian slip.

Pffft!

I've edited it because I don't know his sexual orientation and even if he is gay I find calling gay people "gays" fairly unpleasant.

realfoe
19 Oct 2006, 23:48
say 4.0 canceled in a sticky or they will keep asking..

make sticky saying worms will be updated so shut it fat boy.

bonz
20 Oct 2006, 01:59
say 4.0 canceled in a sticky or they will keep asking..
They will be asking why it has been cancelled and if someone else or all of them can get the source code.
make sticky saying worms will be updated so shut it fat boy.
They will ask about a release date again. :)

Dando
20 Oct 2006, 02:19
Maybe reverse psychology is needed?

"PLEASE ASK US ABOUT THE UPDATE!!!"
"WE LOVE BEING ASKED ABOUT THE BETA"
"ALL WHINGERS WELCOME"

:p

realfoe
20 Oct 2006, 11:24
maybe what they meant to say instead of whens the 4.0 going to be done is when are they going to be able to be awarded stripes for doing well or to be able to get someone to hack them.

Kurrus
18 Nov 2006, 22:18
Give DC a rest, he does enough updating a game with 8 years behind. And making the patchs FREE. 90% of this kind of game die in around 3-4 years. And coding is quite hard, even more if you consider that W:A runs at about 50-60 FPS and coding things for that Framerate requires a lot of patience and precision.

Just patience, people. Forget that patch, play W:A as is now, live your life, and it eventually will come out.

bonz
18 Nov 2006, 22:25
GW:A runs at about 50-60 FPS
It's 50 frames actually.
You'll get the smoothest performance if you set your monitor's refresh rate to 50Hz, or a bit less smooth at 100Hz.
Too bad my TFT monitor only supports 60, 72 and 75 Hz. :p

Dando
19 Nov 2006, 02:08
Mine only supports them too at 1024*768. Well actually 85 max.

Then again, you have TFT...I have a 20 pound CRT:o which was reduced from 100 because it has a minute scratch on it

Lex
19 Nov 2006, 08:42
Mine only supports them too at 1024*768. Well actually 85 max.

Then again, you have TFT...I have a 20 pound CRT:o which was reduced from 100 because it has a minute scratch on itA "scratch" that takes off the greater section of an object (80%) sounds more like a "total decimation" to me.

Lol. I'm just kidding. I know you meant the currency. I don't use "pounds" for mass measurement either.

Muzer
19 Nov 2006, 09:15
How do you set the refresh rate? Is it on the monitor's OSD (menu) or the system's?

I have a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 740 SB

And Windows XP

And a Nvidia GeForce 2 Ti

franpa
19 Nov 2006, 09:50
right click desktop, click properties, go to far right tab (settings), click advanced, click the tab called "monitor" and voila you should see an option there.

ShOwTiMe
19 Nov 2006, 11:08
I just would like to know from you,Deadcode if you have a realease date in mind for the next update?

pera
19 Nov 2006, 11:40
Right click your desktop > properties > settings > advanced > monitor, select a desired refresh rate from the list and hit apply.

edit: uh.. too slow / :blush: didn't see page 2

Muzer
19 Nov 2006, 13:09
Damn. It only does 60, 70, 72, 75, or 85. 75 is selected. Which is the best for WA?

bonz
19 Nov 2006, 13:59
Damn. It only does 60, 70, 72, 75, or 85. 75 is selected. Which is the best for WA?
75 Hz would be the best choice here, since it differs from W:A's built-in 50 Hz by factor 1.5, which means every 3rd frame is in sync.
Second best setting would be 100 Hz, as every 2nd frame is in sync.

With the other refresh rates it is different: 60->6th, 70->7th, 72->~8th, 85->17th
(I hope I got that right.)

Muzer
19 Nov 2006, 14:59
I don't think windows XP, with ANY monitor, even has the option to go to 50hz. It's too slow for modern day. I found an option somewhere "hide modes unsupported by monitor", I unticked it, nad 50hz was STILL not in the list!

Plasma
19 Nov 2006, 15:07
I just would like to know from you,Deadcode if you have a realease date in mind for the next update?
You shall get not answer!

Dando
19 Nov 2006, 16:11
HAHAHA LEX! Yeah, For someone else that might have been confusing. Plus I think it weighs more than 20 pound:p CRT=Dumpy thing:p

(this was a delayed post it seems)

And true Muzer, the lowest I have seen is 60 Hz. And with it, I get awful flicker and headaches. Even with 75 Hz I see slight flickering si I leave it on 85. Hopefully I get TFT soon:)

[UFP]Ghost
19 Nov 2006, 16:51
mine with unchecked can go to 47 but not 50? and 60,70,75 with it checked.

Jerry
20 Nov 2006, 07:28
W:A v4.0? I think and wait on 3.6.27 ;)

Plutonic
22 Nov 2006, 23:19

There is no release date, not officially nor unofficially.

Djoszee
29 Nov 2006, 13:10
Hello? Did I miss anything? :D

Seita
29 Nov 2006, 13:42
Your life.

Don't worry, I missed mine too. Let's have fun together.

yakuza
1 Dec 2006, 19:10
Okay, no one knows when it's coming out. And no one knows how much is left. That's pretty logical.

So, can we know what's done so far? :)

[UFP]Ghost
1 Dec 2006, 20:02
not a bad point, examples of whats been acomplished.

Seita
2 Dec 2006, 13:31
Each previous Beta realeased includes examples of what has been accomplished.

So if you want to know what has been done so far, read the ReadMe.

Vader
2 Dec 2006, 19:02
Okay, no one knows when it's coming out. And no one knows how much is left. That's pretty logical.

So, can we know what's done so far? :)

Well deduced.

Perhaps if I told you some of the stuff which hasn't been done you can deduce from that what has:

1.) Deadcode has not implemented first person mode.
2.) They have not moved location to the moon.
3.) There are no shark with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads.
4.) There is no Lego.
5.) You can't select "Spyder" as a character.
6.) There are no dragons.
7.) Cheese is not made of wood.
8.) There are no Moxie enhancers.
9.) This list is not in-game.
10.) Give Vader his sixes.

Metal Alex
2 Dec 2006, 21:08
Well deduced.

Perhaps if I told you some of the stuff which hasn't been done you can deduce from that what has:

1.) Deadcode has not implemented first person mode.
3.) There are no shark with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads.
4.) There is no Lego.
5.) You can't select "Spyder" as a character.
6.) There are no dragons.
7.) Cheese is not made of wood.
8.) There are no Moxie enhancers.
9.) This list is not in-game.
10.) Give Vader his sixes.

Post of the month, december 2006

Since I got last month, according to Paul Power, here it is. :p

GrimOswald
2 Dec 2006, 23:43
So whoever got the last post of the month award gets to choose who gets the next one? Wicked.

On topic, it seems perfectly reasonable to me to ask what has been done. We want to know what it is we're waiting for after all.

[UFP]Ghost
3 Dec 2006, 02:03
Each previous Beta realeased includes examples of what has been accomplished.

So if you want to know what has been done so far, read the ReadMe.

we meant after the last beta.............................................. ...... I assumed that was implied.

bonz
3 Dec 2006, 03:39
I hope they'll re-introduce the "on the moon" mode soon though.

yakuza
3 Dec 2006, 12:47
Yeah Seita, what Ghost said.

Vader, um, good effort I guess?