PDA

View Full Version : Viewing weapon panel during others' turns

Deadcode
10 Oct 2006, 04:48
CyberShadow has partially implemented a new feature, allowing players to open the weapon panel for their team during other players' turns. It is still rather buggy, but my question is, how do you feel about this? Does not being able to view the panel except on your turn add something valuable to the game? Or, would you rejoice in the feature and never look back?

(Note that for fairness, it will only work if an older version is not being emulated. That is, assuming there is no strong objection to the feature being added at all.)

franpa
10 Oct 2006, 04:52
i wouldnt mined at all, would make knowing what you got tons easier... i was gonna suggest making the messages when you get stuff in crates appear like they do in worms2... but this would be good enough to obselete that.

M3ntal
10 Oct 2006, 05:11
Scheme option, David ;).

franpa
10 Oct 2006, 06:24
i would rather this be controlled client side not just host side.

Deadcode
10 Oct 2006, 09:00
i would rather this be controlled client side not just host side.You're not making sense. If it were up to individual control, why would you ever want to turn it off? That is, unless you acted on the honor system that all sides would voluntarily turn it off.

The point is, it should be fair... if one person in an online game can do it, everybody should be able to; otherwise nobody should be able to.

The other point is, if this is forced on instead of being a scheme option, then it's possible a challenging fun aspect to the game will be lost. It's also possible that a bothersome nuisance will be lost. If the answer isn't clear-cut, then maybe it should be a scheme option.

AndrewTaylor
10 Oct 2006, 10:14
I can't imagine how any scheme would benefit from keeping the panel locked. You can theoretically remember what weapons you have anyway; it's not like the information is secret or anything.

franpa
10 Oct 2006, 11:01
oh, maybe have an icon or symbol or something affect your name online when you have it on?

GoDxWyvern
10 Oct 2006, 13:58
I agree with what Andrew said. I like the idea, because I keep forgetting to look at my weapons before my turn starts often enough. :eek:

Plasma
10 Oct 2006, 14:16
I'm pro see-your-weapons-on-other's-turns.

bonz
10 Oct 2006, 14:55
Yes, definitely add this feature.

There were many times when I was in a hurry catching a crate in the last seconds and trying to retreat safely when I couldn't pay any attention to the mesasge of which weapon I got.

After all, the Worms can chew bubble gum and make moustaches out of their eyebrows during other players' turns.
Why shouldn't they be able to have a look in their pockets and see what their armory looks like? :D

Run
10 Oct 2006, 15:32
Yes, definitely add this feature.

There were many times when I was in a hurry catching a crate in the last seconds and trying to retreat safely when I couldn't pay any attention to the mesasge of which weapon I got.

Yeah same.

I can't really see any strong argument for even having it optional. As far as strategic elements go, not being able to see you weapons isn't very exciting.

M3ntal
10 Oct 2006, 15:54
Actually, yeah, i agree with Run.

GoDxWyvern
10 Oct 2006, 16:22
After all, the Worms can chew bubble gum and make moustaches out of their eyebrows during other players' turns.
Why shouldn't they be able to have a look in their pockets and see what their armory looks like?
Haha, that's a good argument.

Melon
10 Oct 2006, 17:20
I normally find that when I play online, I don't check before the game starts what the weapon scheme is. Sometimes, when it then comes to my first turn, I had some idea of what I was going to do, but then I open the weapons panel and find that I only have a prod, mortar and parachute (or something like that), and have to waste precious turn time thinking about what I'm now going to do.

Even if we do check the weapon scheme beforehand, most of us probably don't look at/remember the delay section, and so it comes as a shock when we can't use that banana bomb,etc.

Allowing us to see what weapons we have gives people more time to think about what they're going to do, so that people's turns are quicker and better executed. It means that we can reduce the turn time slightly and have better paced matches. I think it's a great idea. I'm all for anything that makes online matches a bit better flowing.

realfoe
10 Oct 2006, 17:30
Very good idea, i like to plan ahead and that isnt easy if i dont know what i still have in my backpack or when someone in my team has used it when i have gone ran fast to get a cup of larger.
i also wouldnt mind being able to use the weapons on other peoples goes, its only right that i should be able to defend myself.

Distrance
10 Oct 2006, 18:00
Well this has nothing to do with this post but since I saw Dc is back ( was he ever gone ? ) :O, Im just interested, like everyone probably, is there coming patch for WA ever, if yes, when ?

Someone told be u were about to add wwp features to wa such as wormopot, would that be true, I wish it is..that would be really great..tho then every noob from wwp would come to wa since there is no difference between the games >.<

CyberShadow
10 Oct 2006, 18:04
is there coming patch for WA everYes.if yes, when ?When it's done.

Distrance
10 Oct 2006, 18:46
No more answers like that, I dont want exact time but time would go faster if I would know when its released >.<, like is it gonna be come at this year, if not in what month next year or something..

oh and where is this thing for viewing weapon panel during others' turns, is it out yet ?

Run
10 Oct 2006, 18:51
It's all very well asking when it's going to be released but the bottom line is that nobody knows. Not even the people working on it know when it'll be released, because it all depends on how much spare time they have to put in over the next few years. And that's impossible to predict.

Unlike game companies, Deadcode/Cybershadow can't just shout out a date and then rush to get everything done in that time. If they did it would restrict what they can do, and we'd all be worse off for it in the end.

CyberShadow
10 Oct 2006, 22:17
It's all very well asking when it's going to be released but the bottom line is that nobody knows. Not even the people working on it know when it'll be released, because it all depends on how much spare time they have to put in over the next few years. And that's impossible to predict.

Unlike game companies, Deadcode/Cybershadow can't just shout out a date and then rush to get everything done in that time. If they did it would restrict what they can do, and we'd all be worse off for it in the end.

Quoted for absolute truth.

Vercetti
11 Oct 2006, 15:28
I don't think it needs to be a scheme option but that's probably because i'm one of the many who would always enable the option.

Will the weapons panel be viewable in replays? Probably shouldn't make it too easy to spy on your opponents weapon inventory.

Lex
11 Oct 2006, 16:17
There don't seem to be any objections to the feature in this thread, which is a great thing, imo. I completely agree with those who have no objections to making the weapons panel viewable at any time. :)

AndrewTaylor
11 Oct 2006, 16:19
Will the weapons panel be viewable in replays? Probably shouldn't make it too easy to spy on your opponents weapon inventory.

I don't see what harm it would do in replays. As long as you can't spy on it during the actual game.

Muzer
11 Oct 2006, 17:10
But remember some people open the replays while playing the game *shakes head sadly*.

bonz
11 Oct 2006, 17:52
But remember some people open the replays while playing the game *shakes head sadly*.
Is that possible? I once started a replay by mistake while I had W:A minimized and it crashed both instances.

If so, then it's a security hole that needs to plugged anyway before online rankings can be reintroduced.
(Same goes with exporting log files while playing same game.)

CyberShadow
11 Oct 2006, 18:01
Is that possible? I once started a replay by mistake while I had W:A minimized and it crashed both instances.

It's possible, if you do some minor preparations - but is still all too easy. A fix for that is planned.

As for the panel in the replays - you only see the weapons of whoever recorded the replays, not whoever's turn it is.

Vader
11 Oct 2006, 19:52
I am definitely up for that idea. In fact, I mentioned it many moons ago and it was never implemented. To this day I find myself thinking "Wait, did I use my HHG or was that last game?" and wishing I could look.

Also, I think seeing all of your options can act as an inspiration and lead to more creative attempts to murderise worms.

Welcome back, Deadcode. :)

Metal Alex
11 Oct 2006, 21:24
HOWEVER!
(yay! came back! a bit... and Deadcode too! :D)

I agree, but there is something to say:

1) When online, if two teams play from the same pc... (I can't remember if this was implemented... long time without a game) which weapons panel must be shown?
2)On the other hand, this can be removed when this kind of unfair things happen :p

So... I agree... But depending on the situation

Vader
11 Oct 2006, 21:26
1) When online, if two teams play from the same pc... (I can't remember if this was implemented... long time without a game) which weapons panel must be shown?

Could multiple weapon panels be displayed, each labelled with a team name?

franpa
12 Oct 2006, 00:11
if both play from the same pc and Vs someone online... then both the people on the one pc are acting as 1 person with 2 teams... thus only one panel can be open at a time and i dont think you could switch between which teams panel shows up.. unless this feature would be added alongside it.

realfoe
12 Oct 2006, 00:56
I don't think it needs to be a scheme option but that's probably because i'm one of the many who would always enable the option.

Whats wrong with seeing the weapons of the person your playing when the games over, its not as if he can do anything.

realfoe
12 Oct 2006, 01:01
It's possible, if you do some minor preparations - but is still all too easy. A fix for that is planned.

As for the panel in the replays - you only see the weapons of whoever recorded the replays, not whoever's turn it is.

Is there no way to display all weapons in backpacks in the replays.

Vercetti
12 Oct 2006, 07:15
Whats wrong with seeing the weapons of the person your playing when the games over, its not as if he can do anything.

If you have two networked computers, replays can be viewed very easily during the game. It's already been stated that you won't be able to view your opponents weapons panel in replays, so it's no longer a concern and I doubt most people would bother anyway.

bloopy
12 Oct 2006, 09:25
I also think it should be a scheme option. If it's always enabled, then you take away those critical moments where you're too busy during a turn to check your weapons panel, so you mash an F-key for whatever weapon you can.

Also: how about an option to have your weapons panel always visible? So once you select a weapon, the weapons panel loses focus but it doesn't go away.

If there's a round 2, he could use those weapons if stock piling mode is turned on. So you could spy on his weapons the replay in between games.

franpa
12 Oct 2006, 11:22
Also: how about an option to have your weapons panel always visible? So once you select a weapon, the weapons panel loses focus but it doesn't go away.
thats only really useful if the panel can also be made transparent... and based on the fact that just enabling transparent names results in very jerky game play... i would say this is a no go till deadcode works on the video/rendering code.

AndrewTaylor
12 Oct 2006, 11:54
thats only really useful if the panel can also be made transparent...

I don't see why. In high resolutions the weapons panel isn't that intrusive. The problem with the idea is really that you don't have a mouse cursor when the panel's not visible, so you'd still have to right click to even review your ammo limits. All it'd do is let you know which weapons you have at least one of and remind you what F keys to press to select them.

bonz
12 Oct 2006, 13:59
Right now, when the weapons panel opens up, those small symbols for low gravity, fastwalk, laser sight, double time, crate shower, etc. above the wind meter disappear.
This would have to be changed then.

I think this one isn't necessary. You still would have to know all the F keys if you want to react quickly in a critical moment.

Besides, I printed & laminated my own weapons panel. :)

Vader
12 Oct 2006, 14:02
if both play from the same pc and Vs someone online... then both the people on the one pc are acting as 1 person with 2 teams... thus only one panel can be open at a time.

This makes no sense. The game doesn't allocate weapons to users, per se, it allocates them to individual teams. If I have 4 teams and use different weapons with each, those changes will be reflected in the respective inventories and won't affect my other teams' inventories.

The game is capable of knowing which teams have which weapons, right? I mean, it never gets confused and thinks I have my opponent's weapons, does it? Therefore, all I am really suggesting is that the information for more than one team (that is, all teams on the same PC) is displayed at the same time.

If it is neither team's turn, then neither team has any sort of focal priority so the game wouldn't know which team's inventory to show. I smell a potential bug unless it either displays none or all of the information.

Besides, I printed & laminated my own weapons panel. :)
I was considering making a keyboard thing for this reason! You know, one of those sheets of plastic which slips over th F keys... I forget what they're called but I was gonna do one.

Run
12 Oct 2006, 18:12
I also think it should be a scheme option. If it's always enabled, then you take away those critical moments where you're too busy during a turn to check your weapons panel, so you mash an F-key for whatever weapon you can.

Such critical moments only ever occur during your own turn, so I don't see how that has anything to do with the topic of this thread :confused:

realfoe
12 Oct 2006, 22:53

If there's a round 2, he could use those weapons if stock piling mode is turned on. So you could spy on his weapons the replay in between games.

I belive only sad people would do this and they dont really count.

franpa
13 Oct 2006, 00:22
This makes no sense. The game doesn't allocate weapons to users, per se, it allocates them to individual teams. If I have 4 teams and use different weapons with each, those changes will be reflected in the respective inventories and won't affect my other teams' inventories.

The game is capable of knowing which teams have which weapons, right? I mean, it never gets confused and thinks I have my opponent's weapons, does it? Therefore, all I am really suggesting is that the information for more than one team (that is, all teams on the same PC) is displayed at the same time.

If it is neither team's turn, then neither team has any sort of focal priority so the game wouldn't know which team's inventory to show. I smell a potential bug unless it either displays none or all of the information.

I was considering making a keyboard thing for this reason! You know, one of those sheets of plastic which slips over th F keys... I forget what they're called but I was gonna do one.

well, unless a hotkey is added to switch between inventories (since your on the one pc) is added then the only problem remaining is annoying the other person using the pc...

[UFP]Ghost
13 Oct 2006, 00:51
Bonz,
can i have a copy of the weps panel. i used to have 1 i got off a site that was a descent size but eventually i wrote all over the back and sides in worms random things and it got old and like the way paper gets when it gets old from use. :P

bonz
13 Oct 2006, 07:46
Still attached here:
http://forum.team17.co.uk/showpost.php?p=348448&postcount=2

I suggest you laminate it or use scotch tape to protect it.

bloopy
13 Oct 2006, 11:17
Such critical moments only ever occur during your own turn, so I don't see how that has anything to do with the topic of this thread :confused:

It has everything to do with this thread. If you've been looking at your weapons panel during everyone else's turn, then you know what weapons you have and you won't get such a moment where you mash an F-key because you haven't viewed your weapons panel during your turn. Unless you're really forgetful.

KRD
13 Oct 2006, 11:56
Unless you're really forgetful.

That's the case with me in 95% of the games I play, hah.

Note to self: Try with two instances of WA.

Evil Bunny
16 Oct 2006, 22:41
OMG, now i know i've been workin too hard! Deadcode on the forum talking new features?? :cool:

Hmm, tough one. Yes, i think it would be good. I've yet to come up with any reason why I wouldn't like it. There's got to be some reason right? Why else would t17 not have build it in any games yet?

xEMFxEmine
17 Oct 2006, 01:49
I think this is an awesome idea, (Pro)
I'm also always forgetting my weapons, It will be a good way to plan ahead, Great idea! ;)

bloopy
17 Oct 2006, 01:56
Why else would t17 not have build it in any games yet? Lack of inspiration?

bonz
17 Oct 2006, 04:25
Lack of inspiration?
Too little beer guzzled?

Chip
31 Oct 2006, 16:02
When it's done.

We get enough of that from the 3D Realms forum about the release date of Duke Nukem forever. :p

As for the new feature, it wont make any difference for me as I usally do things on the spot rarther then planning it our, plus I always remember what weapons I have, but since I havn't seen anything new in WA for years, or months (when ever the last beta was released) I say bring it in.