PDA

View Full Version : Third-party worms armageddon installer

MadEwokHerd
11 Sep 2006, 09:53
Edit2: The installer is currently located at http://madewokherd.nfshost.com/worms/unwain.exe.

The following features are available:
-Portable install of the newest version of WA to a given directory, automatically downloading any necessary updates (or using them if they exist in the install directory). No start menu entries are created.

These operating systems are known to work:
-Windows 98 SE
-Windows XP
-Windows XP 64-bit

These WA releases are known to work:
-Everything except Trymedia (original european or american, sold-out, green pepper)

These operating systems don't work:
-Linux (Wine)
-Mac OSX (Wine)
-ReactOS

These WA releases don't work:
-Trymedia version (probably will never be supported)

The information below is obsolete. It is preserved for, um, historical reasons.

I've been working on this for a while, and I sort of decided that it'd be functional enough for the public today (not necessarily very reliable, possibly with major bugs). So in spite of the fact that FilZip has been making broken exes and therefore I only really have a zip file, here's the first "release" of my wa installer:

http://madewokherd.nfshost.com/worms/wainst.zip

The idea was to make a self-extracting archive that would run "python\python.exe wormsarmageddon.py". Since that didn't really work, you have to extract it and run that manually.

What this does:
-Detect your WA cd (even if you're on wine and wine doesn't know about your cd)
-Ask for a directory to install WA
-Download patch and update if they are needed and missing from the install directory
-Install WA to the given directory, without making any other changes to your system (nothing is added to the registry, no start menu entries, no uninstaller, though you can easily "uninstall" just by deleting the folder)

What needs more work:
-I haven't written any code accounting for the green pepper release because I know nothing about that cd. I need someone who has that cd to give me that information.
-I really need to pack this into a nice .exe file. Anyone know any good programs that make self-extracting archives for windows and that will run a command after the extracting is done?
-Not everything that's needed to properly run the game on Wine is done by this installer. I'd like it to be.
-No system-wide installs and no uninstaller. I'd like to have the option of both of those, as well as an option for the current "portable" install.
-No start menu entries. We ought to have those.
-The language is hard-coded to English. You can change it in the source if you really want another language.
-Errors are not clear AT ALL. I think the error if your cd isn't recognized is something like "this version.txt file doesn't exist".
-I'd like to eventually have options for upgrading and downgrading to an arbitrary version, if it's possible with the given cd.
-An actual gui, rather than the current command-line setup, would be nice. You know, if it doesn't make the installer too big (even the current 1.7 MB seems a bit much)
-I think I neglected to add a license. Whatever, it's all LGPL or MIT. You choose.

Things that don't need more work:
-People who have the US version may notice that they're missing HSBRCiv.exe. That's because I commented out the line that installs it. If you're disappointed or upset about that, there's something wrong with you.
-People who have the Trymedia version are idiots.

Edit: This is now available at http://madewokherd.nfshost.com/worms/unwain.exe, and though it's still not fully-featured or fully-tested it appears to at least work on windows.

Lex
11 Sep 2006, 10:50
Excellent work, MadEwokHerd. This is great for those running Windows XP 64-bit Edition.

G-Lite
11 Sep 2006, 11:16
Did you try py2exe?
If you really want to keep python separate, then I'm not sure. You'd think any modern installer system would be able to do those things, like Nullsoft's.
7zip also allows you to create a simple self-extracting archive. (You need to extras package to create one that automatically runs a command)

If you want keep the distribution small in size, using python was not really a good idea to begin with. :)
Since everyone's going to use wine on linux anyways, you might aswell have used C, C++ or Delphi to do it.

Nice work though, this looks really useful! I'm still sharing this laptop with some folks that want Windows on it, but soon that will be a thing of the past aswell. ;)

mr_awesome
11 Sep 2006, 12:04
This sounds good especially for me because I'm running 64-bit edition. Though I think I might wait untill you clean it up a little. Firstly I'm gonna try copying the game files from my other PC to this one.

MadEwokHerd
11 Sep 2006, 15:56
Alright, let me try this again. I've updated the website. Now there's one fewer bug preventing the thing from working at all on any windows system, and one fewer bug that only prevents it from working on any win9x system. Not that anyone noticed them when they were there.

Ok, so this isn't useful for many people. I'd still like to see someone get it working on a real windows system so I can be sure it's possible for this thing to work.

Also, someone told me he didn't want to have to download the patch/update again when he already has it on his computer. So apparently I haven't made this clear: the installer will only download the patch and update if you need it and it's not already present in the install directory. So if you have WAPatch.exe or WA_Update-3.6.26.5_Beta.exe, drop it in the directory where you're going to install worms and you won't need to download it.

So please test this. Someone. Anyone. I just want to know that it works on at least one windows version with at least one WA release.

Edit: Request retracted. Someone has tested it and I know it's broken. I also remembered I had a virtual machine that runs windows (but with poor networking that messes up the downloader so I have to fix that too).

Vader
14 Sep 2006, 02:44
So this is essentially a "portable" version of Worms with a non-committal installer?

WA:Lite, perhaps?

It sounds really handy. I'm assuming that the neglection of registry information prevents the need for a reboot? That will be very handy if the installed WA still works with Fiddler et al on account of WA+Silkworm+Fiddler not working on my machine. I really don't like the idea of having to reboot every time it doesn't work and I have to retry.

Good work MEH. I'll definitely test the next release if I get time. :)

MadEwokHerd
14 Sep 2006, 03:11
The problem with using it for Fiddler is that I don't have proper support yet for WA versions other than 3.6.26.5. You would have to change a line in the script from version = 3, 6, 26, 5 to something like version = 3, 0. And it'd still want to download the beta update in spite of the fact that it wouldn't use it.

Hmm.

*fixes the download thing by adding an if statement*

Vader
16 Sep 2006, 00:09
It sounds like you may have thought of this already but could you have the user select the version of WA they'd like to install before it actually installs anything, or even prompt the user with a yes/no box asking if they want to install the next update after each stage completes?

This project interests me greatly.

MadEwokHerd
19 Sep 2006, 07:15
I've uploaded a new version to http://madewokherd.nfshost.com/worms/unwain.exe. I've tested and it works under wine. I'm about do test it in my win98se vm; hopefully it'll do better than the last one because of replacing urllib with wget.

Edit: It's capable of installing a version other than the newest one, but that option is not exposed to the user right now. You would have to extract the archive manually, change "version = 3, 6, 26, 5" to "version = 3, 0" in wormsarmageddon.py, and manually run "python\python.exe wormsarmageddon.py".

Edit2: Seems to work on qemu, but wget gets stuck on downloading things from team17's ftp. I was able to get by by pressing ctrl+c when that happened, causing wget to crash. unwain just picks another mirror, and that one generally works fine. If anyone manages to get a file from team17's ftp successfully on real windows, please tell me.

Edit3: Everything I have used to create this is available in the self-extracting archive. So I guess it could theoretically be used to make a version that installs WA+silkworm+fiddler. I'm not likely to do that soon, but I'd like to at least expose the WA version option next time around.

Vader
19 Sep 2006, 23:10
If you could explain to me how to manually run "python\python.exe wormsarmageddon.py" (I've edited the .py file) then I'll be able to test this. :)

MadEwokHerd
19 Sep 2006, 23:12
You need to open a command prompt, change to the directory where you extracted it, and type that line.

Vader
19 Sep 2006, 23:17
Easy.

Now, how do I get it to detect an emulated disc drive? I only have the CD image I made of my WA CD many moons ago.

Edit: Oh, by the way, python/pygame is an ideal way to make games for the GP2X... have you ever thought about contributing to the library on that system?

MadEwokHerd
20 Sep 2006, 00:20
The way the detection works is that it looks for a drive with Data\Resource\version.txt. If that's in the list of known WA versions, ('V1.05E\n19-1-99\n', 'V3.00U\n26-5-99\n', 'V3.00E\n27-5-99\n'), it can move on. If not, uh, it'll complain about it and exit.

I haven't considered using pygame to make games. If I did, I'd certainly make them as easy as I could to port. But TBH I'm unlikely to ever create a worthwhile game.

Edit: I don't know how mounting isos works on windows, but if your WA cd has a drive letter, it should be detected.

Vader
20 Sep 2006, 00:35
Here's what happened:Enter a directory to install Worms Armageddon:
L:\WA
--00:34:33-- http://www.dream17.co.uk/WAPatch.exe
=> `L:\WA\WAPatch.exe'
Resolving www.dream17.co.uk... done.
Connecting to www.dream17.co.uk[72.232.90.130]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 7,315,456 [application/octet-stream]

100%[====================================>] 7,315,456 90.65K/s ETA 00:00

00:35:53 (90.65 KB/s) - `L:\WA\WAPatch.exe' saved [7315456/7315456]

Successfully got http://www.dream17.co.uk/WAPatch.exe
Extracting files from H:\Install\data1.cab..
"C:\MEH\unwain\i5comp\i5comp.exe" x "-gProgram Executable Files" "H:\Install\dat
a1.cab"
'C:\MEH\unwain\i5comp\i5comp.exe" x "-gProgram' is not recognized as an internal
or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Copying file H:\Install\Install\wa.exe to L:\WA\wa.exe
Copying file H:\Data\Resource\English\readme.rtf to L:\WA\readme.rtf
Copying file H:\Data\Resource\English\names.wdb to L:\WA\User\names.wdb
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "wormsarmageddon.py", line 209, in ?
i.install_files()
File "wormsarmageddon.py", line 180, in install_files
os.path.join(self.appdir, "User","names.wdb"))
File "C:\MEH\unwain\shverbose.py", line 38, in copyfile
fdest.close()
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'fdest' referenced before assignment

C:\MEH\unwain>

MadEwokHerd
20 Sep 2006, 00:41
Ok, I'll have to fix that. When I've stopped being lazy again.

Vader
20 Sep 2006, 00:54
:)

Good luck with it.

MadEwokHerd
20 Sep 2006, 01:03
Updated. Try it now.

What I've done is take the lazy way out and trade one form of broken for another. I've stopped putting quotes arround the command name because apparently the first quote is getting eaten by something. That means if you extract unwain to a directory with a space in it, it won't work.

I can't reproduce that problem here, but it probably affects nt/2k/xp users because popen works differently there from 9x.

Vader
20 Sep 2006, 01:21
Well, it installed WA but it failed to patch it.

I'm guessing it's something to do with my unpatched version being 1.0.2.0 while the wormsarmageddon.py says something about "1.05E".

Edit:

The download works, too and connected to team17's ftp at 476K/s :)

I had to take all the mirror URLs out to force it to try the team17 ftp, but it definitely worked.

I don't think it patches properly, though. When running it to patch to 3.0.5.0 it doesn't patch it. When updating to 3.6.26.5 it shows WA.exe as 3.6.26.5 but that's because the update overwrite the WA.exe - obviously that won't work as it's trying to jump from 1.0.2.0 to 3.6.26.5 :P

MadEwokHerd
20 Sep 2006, 01:33
Works for me. Extracting WAPatch.exe should be about the last thing it does, so a screenshot of the window when it finishes would probably be helpful.

Vader
20 Sep 2006, 01:52
As I say, the update extracts correctly but the patch does not:Extracting files from WAPatch.exe
"C:\MEH2\unwain\7za\7za.exe" e "L:\WA\WAPatch.exe" data1.cab
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
C:\MEH2\unwain\i5comp\i5comp.exe x "-gProgram Executable Files" "C:\MEH2\unwain\
data1.cab"
InstallShield 5.x Cabinet Compression & Maintenance Util
Version 2.01 -] fOSSiL - 1999 [-

Could not open C:\MEH2\unwain\data1.cab
Extracting files from WA_Update-3.6.26.5_Beta.exe
C:\MEH2\unwain\7za\7za.exe x -y "-oL:\WA" "L:\WA\WA_Update-3.6.26.5_Beta.exe"

7-Zip (A) 4.42 Copyright (c) 1999-2006 Igor Pavlov 2006-05-14

Processing archive: L:\WA\WA_Update-3.6.26.5_Beta.exe

(Extracting stuff...)

Everything is Ok
Press enter to exit

And with that, I go to bed...

MadEwokHerd
20 Sep 2006, 03:21
Updated. I am determined to make minor tweaks until this works. Please try again and thank you for your patience.

mr_awesome
20 Sep 2006, 07:42
Sounds like your doing well MEH. Though all that stuff looks like gibberish to me...

bloopy
20 Sep 2006, 10:08
Worked for me! Using WinXP Pro and W:A v3.0 Armageddon Collection CD. :cool:

MadEwokHerd
21 Sep 2006, 17:08
I think the current functionality is stable enough now. It's been tested on wine, 9x, and xp, and on the eurpoean, american, and sold out cds (not all combinations of those).

It hasn't been tested on 64-bit Windows. mr_awesome: I'd really appreciate it if you tried it, even though you probably no longer need it by now. If I have to fix anything for that system, I might as well do it before I add more functionality.

And I still need information on the green pepper release. :/

Vader
22 Sep 2006, 00:17
Since using this (it may not be related but it only started happening after I used it) I have repeatedly had an "Information" prompt pop up (see attachment).

I have deleted the folder I installed to using your installer.

Is this related in some way, and if so how may I stop it from happening?

franpa
22 Sep 2006, 00:24
does the pop up appear when running the third party installer or when running w:a after using the third party installer?

MadEwokHerd
22 Sep 2006, 01:31
I don't know. I guess it's possible.

Theoretically, running my installer should be identical to copying a W:A install from another computer to yours. This has been known to work in the past, and I've taken for granted that it doesn't cause problems. However, W:A does make changes to the registry when it runs. I guess it's concievable that those changes did cause that popup since they were made by an updated version other than the version that was installed normally. But I think it's unlikely.

Here's a thought: do you have autorun enabled? I've been told that when you insert the cd, if you have autorun enabled, the program it runs checks for a W:A install and runs the installer if none exists. If this is happening when you insert the W:A cd, that would explain it (if for some reason it thinks your W:A install is invalid, maybe that's what it does). The solution would be to disable autorun because it sucks anyway, and multiple installs are known to work damnit.

I haven't looked into what changes the game itself makes, and that could be useful information. I'm a little pressed for time at the moment though so it'll be a while before I get to that.

franpa: My installer doesn't have any gui, and it doesn't try to detect an install. So it couldn't have created that dialog.

franpa
22 Sep 2006, 02:35
ok, and i think that yes this is registry related but as you said your proggie doesnt do anything to the registry thus i never said anything.... but i think you should add support to remove all traces of w:a from the reg that w:a uses....

MadEwokHerd
22 Sep 2006, 02:48
Hmm, I just noticed on the wiki page for the sold out software release (http://wiki.thecybershadow.net/Sold-Out_Software_release_%28Worms_Armageddon%29):

This one is a bit different, as the autorun is set to "Setup.now.exe", which is standard for most (all?) Sold-Out Software releases. It is a kind of "launcher", where you can install the program (launches /Install/Install.exe), view the manual (launch manual.pdf), and do a few other things.

I think there's a good chance it's to blame.

I don't have any plans to support removal of keys added by the installshield installer (such as its uninstaller) or even adding certain keys that are problematic (such as storing the path in the current user's registry..though I may make that global for all users rather than avoiding it). I'd like my uninstaller to remove all traces created during the install process, but that doesn't cover anything W:A itself does. I'm not sure it adds anything worth removing, except perhaps the wagame file associations.

Before I even get to a system-wide install/uninstall, I still have to fix up the drive detection (I forgot that windows lists drives that don't have disks in them; wine doesn't), the green pepper cd (thanks bonz), and linux support.

mr_awesome
22 Sep 2006, 08:13
The only reason I want WA on this PC is so I can play on WormNET. Do you think I should try using it on the SO version? If you know already that it doesn't work for the SO version then tell me.

MadEwokHerd
22 Sep 2006, 15:46
It's worked for the sold-out version in the past (though I don't have a copy of that myself).

Edit: Though I don't know about the issue Vader is having. Could be something with SO's autorun, in which case it's harmless (and you should have autorun disabled anyway).

Vader
22 Sep 2006, 19:00
does the pop up appear when running the third party installer or when running w:a after using the third party installer?

It pops up every 10 minutes or so... maybe less. It pops up without me doing anything.

It's worked for the sold-out version in the past (though I don't have a copy of that myself).

Edit: Though I don't know about the issue Vader is having. Could be something with SO's autorun, in which case it's harmless (and you should have autorun disabled anyway).

Autorun has never caused this issue before. How can I get around it without modifying the way my system is set up? I like using autorun and shouldn't have to disable it to stop this from happening.

I am not using a Sold-Out disc. this is WA v1.0.2.0 and is the European release.

franpa
23 Sep 2006, 00:30
hold down the left shift key while inserting the disc (dunno if this works on winXP but is does on win98) once the drive has found the disc release the shift key... and walah no autorun or system change.

mr_awesome
23 Sep 2006, 03:37
Ok I'll give it a go.

Um... what do I do to start off? Like, how do I run it?

franpa
23 Sep 2006, 04:04
once the disc is in without the autorun popping up just use the start menu shortcuts..... (franpa slaps forhead) unless the shortcuts the game makes also point to the autorun.

mr_awesome
23 Sep 2006, 04:08
No no no, how do I use the installer?

MadEwokHerd
23 Sep 2006, 08:03
Given that it's not happening when you insert the cd, and that I can't reproduce it (I have a copy of the european release to try), I don't think it's autorun. I think it's probably not related, as that doesn't sound like something WA would do, and I don't know how I could've caused it. It sounds more like something that's really trying and failing to run every 10 minutes. Something you don't care about apparently, except when it pops up an alert.

*does a google search for the dialog*

Not much help there. :/

mr_awesome: You run it. It tries to detect the cd (by looking at all drives actually, even the ones that aren't cds--I'll fix that later). If it does detect the cd, it will ask you to enter a directory for WA to be installed. Then it'll pretty much extract files from your cd and from any needed patches/updates to that directory. If everything goes well, the last thing you'll see is "Everything is Ok" and "Press enter to exit". You should then have a wa.exe in that directory, and it should run.

If things don't go well, please post a screenshot.

mr_awesome
23 Sep 2006, 08:55
Which exe do I run, the python?

mr_awesome
23 Sep 2006, 10:05
Ok I ran the wormsarmageddon.py file using python and it came up with the command prompt and it said 'Choose destination to install Worms Armageddon' or something like that so I typed in where I wanted to install it, the it said downloading 3.6.36.5 update from some website then after about 30 seconds the command prompt clossed down. I went the the WA directory and all that was in it was the 3.6.36.5 update exe.

mr_awesome
23 Sep 2006, 11:48
I must thank you whole heartedly MEH!!! WA is running fine on my PC now (as far as I know). I will now worship you as my new god.

Vader
23 Sep 2006, 16:55
As I said in my first post, that prompt I was getting may not have been related to this installer.

I think it was my anti-spyware software being a div and thinking of itself as broken! :p

I'll have to give it another shot when silkworm and fiddler work with it. I mean, how will fiddler work with it if there's no registry stuff?

bonz
23 Sep 2006, 19:29
walah
Ehrm, did you mean "voilą"?

MadEwokHerd
23 Sep 2006, 20:39
Hmm, I guess the Fiddler needs the registry stuff for sprites? I don't have a solution for that. Let me know if you think of one.

mr_awesome: wainst.zip is obsolete. I'm amazed if that worked. There's now a stand-alone exe file. I've updated my first post to be more clear and renamed the zip file.

Edit: I've been told that Fiddler can work without the registry entries, but the Go button works like the Manual Load button. But probably no one has tried this yet.

Crazy Goat
23 Sep 2006, 21:20
Edit: Oh, by the way, python/pygame is an ideal way to make games for the GP2X... have you ever thought about contributing to the library on that system?

:cool: Another GP2X owner?

Vader
23 Sep 2006, 21:58
I've been told that Fiddler can work without the registry entries, but the Go button works like the Manual Load button. But probably no one has tried this yet.

So, I should be able to install Silkworm and Fiddler on the WA your installer, erm, installs but I will have to load manually?

That's fine by me!

MadEwokHerd
23 Sep 2006, 21:59
Er, no, I was later informed that it fails horribly without the registry entry.

Vader
23 Sep 2006, 22:23
So, no Fiddler with WA from your installer?

MrBunsy
24 Sep 2006, 10:18
You could always add the registry entries manually.

Vader
24 Sep 2006, 13:10
Would that work properly?

Hmmm...

Ed Webb
24 Sep 2006, 13:38
To add Fiddler support for the unofficial installer, in the registry goto HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software, right click in the right pane and select New > Key. Name it Team17SoftwareLTD, and create a key inside that called WormsArmageddon.

You should now have in the registry, the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Team17SoftwareLTD\Worms Armageddon.

Next, in the right pane with WormsArmageddon selected, right click and select New > String, and name it PATH. Double click on the string's name, and change the string from blank to the location of your Worms Armageddon directory.

That's it! There's other options that WA saves in the registry, ask if you want me to list them.

bonz
24 Sep 2006, 13:40
To add Fiddler support for the unofficial installer, in the registry goto HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software, right click in the right pane and select New > Key. Name it Team17SoftwareLTD, and create a key inside that called WormsArmageddon.

You should now have in the registry, the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Team17SoftwareLTD\Worms Armageddon.

Next, in the right pane with WormsArmageddon selected, right click and select New > String, and name it PATH. Double click on the string's name, and change the string from blank to the location of your Worms Armageddon directory.

That's it! There's other options that WA saves in the registry, ask if you want me to list them.
How about exporting it to a *.reg file and post it here? :)

Ed Webb
24 Sep 2006, 14:08
I hadn't thought about that Bonz. :)

I've attached a registry file with my settings, with a few changes. Use the unofficial installer, and double click on the waregkeys.reg file to add the keys to the registry, or wapathonly.reg to add the path to WA.

Check first that you don't have WA installed with the registry keys already in there, as it will change any currently installed game settings.

In the .reg key, it assumes you have installed to "c:\team17\Worms Armageddon", so if WA is installed elsewhere, you will have to edit the .reg file with the location of the WA directory before adding the registry keys.

Vader
24 Sep 2006, 14:19
That's fine but if you have two installations of worms then the one Fiddler uses should be changed to "FPTH" instead of "PATH" as well as the Fiddler hex being modded as per WAHELP.

I can create a reg entry but Silkworm just fails to work. I think I have a duff copy but hopefully someone can help me with that problem on the relevant thread. ;)

franpa
24 Sep 2006, 14:54
do you have the latest silkworm? 4.12a

MadEwokHerd
24 Sep 2006, 15:42
What? There's a tutorial on wahelp?

Why, that's brilliant! I can do that.

Vader
24 Sep 2006, 16:07
So, you'll be making an installer for WA 3.0 which applies Silkworm and Fiddler to work with it?

Unless I'm jumping the gun, I'd like to exclaim that WOOHOOOOO!

do you have the latest silkworm? 4.12a
I did it all from the tutorials and downloads on WAHELP. So, yes.

MadEwokHerd
24 Sep 2006, 16:10
You're jumping the gun a bit, yes.

Vader
24 Sep 2006, 16:43
Okay, well I'm intrigued to know what you have up your sleeve, then. I look forward to the next release. :)

spyrul
24 Sep 2006, 18:28
oh my god MadEwokHerd and Vader still exist lols~~

i can't remember what email i used when i registered as lemonberry. kek

MadEwokHerd
24 Sep 2006, 18:34
oh my god it's lemonberry

I remember you. Though only from #worms. And even then I can remember very little specifically about you.

Still. Hi. Welcome back.

lemonberry
24 Sep 2006, 18:44
lols found it. i drew a comic or something and i think i put you in it and you had mad thick glassez and a beard.

MadEwokHerd
24 Sep 2006, 18:47
I remember that (and I now have thin glasses and am too lazy to shave often). I think the picture may still be on my laptop.

Edit: I think it was just a picture, not anything as elaborate as a comic.

lemonberry
24 Sep 2006, 18:57
ah yeah that's right. man where have the days gone.

Vader
24 Sep 2006, 19:15
They've gone middle side topwise.

MadEwokHerd
26 Sep 2006, 23:08
*sigh*

If anyone has an unwain.exe that's about 8 MB in size, please don't send it to anyone. I did something really stupid and also illegal. It should be more like 1.6 MB.

franpa
27 Sep 2006, 01:21
can you upx the exe file and still have it work on the appropriate o/s?

MadEwokHerd
27 Sep 2006, 01:24
meh@wicket:~/Desktop$ upx unwain.exe
Ultimate Packer for eXecutables
Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
UPX 1.25 Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer & Laszlo Molnar Jun 29th 2004

File size Ratio Format Name
-------------------- ------ ----------- -----------
upx: unwain.exe: NotCompressibleException

Packed 1 file: 0 ok, 1 error.

Apparently not.

Edit: Wait, yes I can. Doing so saved 35.6 KB.

franpa
27 Sep 2006, 01:31
that saves about 1 second of downloading for fial up users.... good jub man.

MadEwokHerd
27 Sep 2006, 01:38
Um, actually I didn't upload the upxed version because it felt slower. Sorry, fial-up users.

franpa
27 Sep 2006, 01:47
lawl i was sarcastic....

Vader
27 Sep 2006, 08:37
This is so very, very cool.

I've set up a webpage on my site for this, which actually resulted in me having to reorganise my menu. Thank Glod for php!

Run
27 Sep 2006, 13:03
This is so awesome. Which of my installation guides does it make redundant? ;) Or can it cope with all versions and OS's?

MadEwokHerd
27 Sep 2006, 17:18
I edited that information back into the first post at some point:

Edit2: The installer is currently located at http://madewokherd.nfshost.com/worms/unwain.exe.

The following features are available:
-Portable install of the newest version of WA to a given directory, automatically downloading any necessary updates (or using them if they exist in the install directory). No changes are made to the registry and no start menu entries are created.

These operating systems are known to work:
-Windows 98 SE
-Windows XP
-Windows XP 64-bit

These WA releases are known to work:
-Original European release
-Original American release
-Sold-Out release

These operating systems don't work:
-Linux (Wine)
-Mac OSX (Wine)

These WA releases don't work:
-Green pepper release
-Trymedia version (probably will never be supported)

Vader
27 Sep 2006, 22:37
I've updated my site to reflect this information.

Run
27 Sep 2006, 23:33
Oh no you jus' dint! I updated mine first ;)

Vader
28 Sep 2006, 12:36
Gratz.

Mine looks nicer ;)

MadEwokHerd
29 Sep 2006, 07:59
I had this crazy idea that maybe when I make dangerous changes that haven't been tested yet by anyone ever, I should put them somewhere else. So now there's an http://madewokherd.nfshost.com/worms/unstable/unwain.exe. New things:

-I've attempted to support the green pepper release based on some information bonz sent me. This is untested and dangerous. It also got in the "stable" version before I decided I should have an unstable version.
-Now only CD Drives are checked for a WA cd. So things like floppy disks won't light up, and you won't end up with silly network traffic.
-Error reporting should be better overall. If 7za or i5comp fails, the install process will stop right there and print some debugging information. And the debugging information will actually be printed BEFORE the "Press enter to exit" message, unlike earlier.

Yeah, it's not much. I'm sort of hoping to work out all the minor existing issues before moving on to Linux support, which I'm a little unsure about (to make WA run properly on Linux, I'll definitely have to mess with the registry a bit, as well as detect the Wine version and act accordingly).

bonz
29 Sep 2006, 18:16
I tested your unstable release with the Greenpepper version and I get this:
Enter a directory to install Worms Armageddon:
e:\games\waisnttest
wget\wget.exe "http://team17.rinux.net/patches_pc/WA_Update-3.6.26.5_Beta.exe" -
-continue "--output-document=e:\games\waisnttest\WA_Update-3.6.26.5_Beta.exe"
--19:06:28-- http://team17.rinux.net/patches_pc/WA_Update-3.6.26.5_Beta.exe
=> `e:\games\waisnttest\WA_Update-3.6.26.5_Beta.exe'
Resolving team17.rinux.net... done.
Connecting to team17.rinux.net[81.169.157.144]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 3,727,356 [application/octet-stream]

100%[====================================>] 3,727,356 361.18K/s ETA 00:00

19:06:45 (361.18 KB/s) - `e:\games\waisnttest\WA_Update-3.6.26.5_Beta.exe' saved
[3727356/3727356]

Successfully got http://team17.rinux.net/patches_pc/WA_Update-3.6.26.5_Beta.exe
Extracting files from G:\Install\data1.cab..
C:\DOKUME~1\bonz\LOKALE~1\Temp\7zS36.tmp\i5comp\i5 comp.exe x "-gProgram Executab
le Files" "G:\Install\data1.cab"
After that it seems to be stuck. I waited for ~10 min but nothing happened.
The game wasn't fully installed, as there was no wa.exe there.

Drive G: is a mounted CD image.

MadEwokHerd
30 Sep 2006, 02:19
Actually that happened to me too on win98se. So I guess making it unstable was a good idea.

Try the stable one.

MadEwokHerd
30 Sep 2006, 20:56
Alright, I think that issue is fixed in the unstable exe.

Edit: bonz, what version of windows do you have?

bonz
1 Oct 2006, 00:45
Edit: bonz, what version of windows do you have?
Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2

MadEwokHerd
2 Oct 2006, 06:52
Alright, this worked for bonz (with the green pepper cd) and on my wine and win98se machines. That's enough testing for me. *clobbers older stable version with unstable version*

*updates first post to say it works with green pepper release*

mr_awesome
10 Oct 2006, 02:42
Is it possible that you could put those reg entries in the installer so we can use fiddler? And maybe possible a reg file that deletes those entries so there not there if we need to delete or 'uninstall' WA?

Vader
26 Oct 2006, 16:54
Any chance of a version which installs WormKit and the automatic IP copier thing?

It'd be like unwainMX or something.

MadEwokHerd
26 Oct 2006, 16:57
Seems like an odd set of things to want to automatically install. And I've never used either program.

Vader
26 Oct 2006, 17:01
Fair enough.

I thought WormKit was quite widely used and the auto IP copier certainly makes life a bit easier which warrants wide usage.

To be fair, I only use WormKit for the water colour editor.

mr_awesome
27 Oct 2006, 07:10
Hehe same. Oh and occasionly to edit missions. Anyway WormKit doesn't work on my main computer so I hardly use it! But it is still very good.

mr_awesome
27 Oct 2006, 07:36
Hey does anyone know if the fiddler works with 64-bits?

MadEwokHerd
27 Oct 2006, 08:12
My guess would be that it doesn't (uses some odd/hacky stuff) but I was pleasantly surprised when I tried it on wine.

mr_awesome
27 Oct 2006, 10:07
Yeah I don't think I want to try it.

Lex
27 Oct 2006, 10:12
Why not? You might as well give it a shot. You seem to be our 64-bit tester around here anyway, and it's not too hard to do. :)

Let's put it this way: you'd be helping the progressive knowledge of the WA informatic community.

mr_awesome
27 Oct 2006, 10:29
But Lex I don't have the registry entries that are needed.

darkfoot
10 Nov 2006, 12:10
hate to say this but as more and more peep's go over to 64 bit they will come here to team 17 for the fix ..... and most will be noob's "like myself" how will need the layman's terms like "click here and all will be fixed"

So if some 1 could set up a quick fix exe it would be so sweet

Joeyjoejoe
10 Nov 2006, 12:34
Duh the installer.

Run
10 Nov 2006, 17:23
hate to say this but as more and more peep's go over to 64 bit they will come here to team 17 for the fix ..... and most will be noob's "like myself" how will need the layman's terms like "click here and all will be fixed"

So if some 1 could set up a quick fix exe it would be so sweet

You might be interested in this (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=30453) handy little program.

oh wai-

Joeyjoejoe
10 Nov 2006, 21:49
Hahaha good one, Run. Just download the unwain.exe on the first post of this thread, insert your WA CD, then run the installer and type a directory for WA and press enter. Unless you aren't having problems installing worms then you are alright.

Joeyjoejoe
10 Nov 2006, 22:06
I'll tell you what would be awesome, an installer that installs the fiddler and does the reg-edits and stuff like that, and another one that installs the game and updates it like the current installer and also installs WormKit, like what Vader said. And that would be the version of WA that you play and the other one would be for the fiddler. That would be mad!

Something that would be super-dooper fully sick would be an installer that has that all piled into one! So it installs 2 copies of WA (one for fiddler and one for normal)!!!!

bonz
11 Nov 2006, 00:16
I'll tell you what would be awesome, an installer that installs the fiddler and does the reg-edits and stuff like that, and another one that installs the game and updates it like the current installer and also installs WormKit, like what Vader said. And that would be the version of WA that you play and the other one would be for the fiddler. That would be mad!

Something that would be super-dooper fully sick would be an installer that has that all piled into one! So it installs 2 copies of WA (one for fiddler and one for normal)!!!!
For one, Ed Webb got the source code of the Fiddler and made a beta version 4.01 which has the Silkworm patch included, doesn't need any hex or registry editing and can read a v3.0 wa.exe if it is renamed to 30.exe.
It is not released though, as for two, Deadcode is working on implementing compatibility with Fiddler schemes.

Edit:
The Fiddler v4.01 is available now:
http://maz.me.uk/wormsmart/

Joeyjoejoe
11 Nov 2006, 02:05
We still need an installer that doesn't patch and update for it to work.

MadEwokHerd
11 Nov 2006, 02:40
You mean just update. It would still need to patch to get to 3.0.

Anyway that's easy enough. Here ya go (http://madewokherd.nfshost.com/worms/unwain-30.exe). Untested of course.

I was planning to make one exe that can do them both (someone could actually have come along and modified the existing one the way I just did--it only takes changing one line of code), but that would require actual work, something I'm not capable of at the moment.

Joeyjoejoe
11 Nov 2006, 08:58
Would it be possible that you could actually do some work?!! Haha I'm not being serious but it would be wicked sick if you made one that installs reg-entries, fiddler, 2 copies of worms, and wormkit.

Vader
11 Nov 2006, 14:28
Anyway that's easy enough. Here ya go (http://madewokherd.nfshost.com/worms/unwain-30.exe). Untested of course.

If all you've done is change the version number in the source then unless you've made any major changes, I can confirm this will work. I did it myself when unwain was still very young.

Joeyjoejoe
12 Nov 2006, 08:27
Ok now make it so that it puts in those registry files that WA puts in. Then we have an installer for the fiddler and another one that updates to latest version. Oh and the part in the reg file should be change to FPTH instead of PATH so that the user doesn't have to do that later. Unless of course this new Fiddler 4.01 works without reg entries :)

CyberShadow
12 Nov 2006, 11:41
Unless of course this new Fiddler 4.01 works without reg entries :)

Actually, I'd like to know the answer to that question as well. I know that I made a version of the Fiddler (4.1.0.1) which automatically tried to use FPTH instead of PATH, and I remember not seeing a similar check there before. But the one that's on WormsMart at the moment is the older one (4.0.1.42).

Joeyjoejoe
14 Nov 2006, 06:17
Is anyone willing to give this 'new' fiddler a try and see if it works without reg entries and if it is already 'silked' and needs no hex editor?

MadEwokHerd
16 Dec 2006, 01:06
*sigh* crap.

Allegedly unwain is illegal to use on non-windows OSs because it includes msvcr71.dll. So..there can be no Linux support until I find a way to factor out msvcr.

Joeyjoejoe
28 Dec 2006, 11:02
I know this is a big ask, but is a Worms 2 installer possible. Because I bought WA with W2 in the SoldOut double pack and I recenly got WWP which works fine so I thought it'd be cool if I had W2 aswell because I can't get it to install.

MadEwokHerd
28 Dec 2006, 16:58
I know this is a big ask, but is a Worms 2 installer possible. Because I bought WA with W2 in the SoldOut double pack and I recenly got WWP which works fine so I thought it'd be cool if I had W2 aswell because I can't get it to install.

It's probably possible, but I don't have a copy of Worms 2, and I don't know how similar the installers are.

Joeyjoejoe
1 Jan 2007, 07:18
Well anyone with W2 willing to to give it a go?

canofworms
1 Jan 2007, 07:48
Hmm, you want a 3rd party Worms 2 installer?

I could do that, as long as I can port unshield to Windows :D

Joeyjoejoe
1 Jan 2007, 09:48
Yeah I want one but what does that last sentence mean?

canofworms
1 Jan 2007, 10:17
Unshield is a Linux tool for extracting the InstallShield archive, so I will need to convert it into a Windows tool.

MadEwokHerd
1 Jan 2007, 14:38
No, you don't; just use i5comp like unwain does.

Tip: unzip the exe to read the source code.

h2oz7v
8 Jan 2007, 02:11
So by "Portable" version, do you mean strip out all of the 1 player options (missions, training, deathmatch) and the colour maps (i.e. Cars, Artwork, Windmill etc.) or has my install gone horribly wrong?

MadEwokHerd
8 Jan 2007, 02:24
I'm...gonna go with the horribly wrong option.

h2oz7v
8 Jan 2007, 02:51
Yes, I believe so too haha! Nothing works at all! All I did was download the auto-installer and let it do its thing and then copy my User folder from my full install version... hmmm

I'll have another go...

edit:

Ok, so something weird must have happened. I'm using an image of my worms cd and when I ran the autoinstaller for the second time, it said it "couldnt find the cd". I ran my 1st installation just to check and it loaded up fine, but without the missions etc... and crashed when I tried to play a game.

So I remounted the image and tried my current "portable" install again and this time eveything was fine... odd.

Does the "portable" version use the game data from the cd rather than copying it over (?) like the original installer does?

canofworms
8 Jan 2007, 07:18
No, you don't; just use i5comp like unwain does.

Tip: unzip the exe to read the source code.

Ah, I found that the other day too. Cant get it to compile under Visual C++ 6. Oh well!

Ill get around to it some day, I am WAY to busy now.

MadEwokHerd
8 Jan 2007, 22:13
Um, you could just use the executable as is..

canofworms
9 Jan 2007, 18:23
Look, i like experimenting -_-

Muzer
18 Jul 2007, 17:20
Does this work with 3.6.28?

MadEwokHerd
18 Jul 2007, 17:25
Does this work with 3.6.28?

It won't install 3.6.28.0, but you should still be able to run the updater.

Muzer
18 Jul 2007, 18:02
It would be nice if you updated it to work with 3.6.28. Or is that too much hassle.

MadEwokHerd
20 Jul 2007, 09:00
Done.

As a side-effect of using CS's updater, it might create some registry entries now. :/

Edit: And I've just dropped it in without doing any testing beyond verifying that the files seem to be there. Oh well. What could go wrong, eh?

Floop1977
1 Dec 2007, 20:53
Thanks for creating this utility. It is great.

franpa
27 Nov 2010, 07:27
MadEwokHerd, will you update this to automatically download the current beta update? Is pretty handy for us who have x64 windows and the original Europ release of the game.

Muzer
27 Nov 2010, 18:35
I actually started trying to update it at one point - I should probably continue with that.

CzAjNiK
26 Oct 2011, 07:52
I actually started trying to update it at one point - I should probably continue with that.

I want to update thoose utility or I will make another one.
Anyway I'll compile it into standalone executable file,
does anyone still need this tool?

PS. Sory about re-fresh