PDA

View Full Version : Silkworm fails to run.

Vader
11 Sep 2006, 00:52
I've browsed and searched the forums but I found no definitive answer to this problem.

I have installed WA and patched it to v3.0.0.0 on a separate hard drive to my regular WA installation. I have basically followed WAHELP's guide to the letter.

I did the whole hex edit thing for Fiddler and the Silkworm patch. The .dll has been modified and from opening it in Notepad I can see that it has the word SILKWORM in it, while the backup does not. I have re-opened Fiddler in the hex editor to make sure the changes were saved, and they were. I have checked in regedit to make sure the strings are correct, which they are.

Now when I try and run WA.exe from the WA Fiddler directory nothing happens. It doesn't even show anything in Task Manager.

Win XP, WA v3.0.0.0, Silkworm v4.12a, Fiddler v4.1, all updated, hex edited and reg modded as they should be. I don't see why this doesn't work.

Sorry if the answer is already out there somewhere. I read something about installing Silkworm 3.5 and updating it, but I can't find Silkworm 3.5 anywhere. Is there another way?

franpa
11 Sep 2006, 09:03
uh you should only have to run worms armageddon like normal.... just use a old shortcut.

Ed Webb
11 Sep 2006, 18:58
Hey Vader. Okay, first things first, check to see that you placed Silkworm in the WA main directory, the one you use for Fiddler. You might have misplaced it by accident, you never know. :)

Check to see if you have DXMfc.backup.dll, DXMfc.dll, Silkworm.dll, Silkworm.ini and Silkworm_patch.exe in the directory, and that you have admin privileges when applying the patch (probably unnecessary, but worth a try).

If everything's there, try using Fiddler 4.0 instead of 4.1, as the latter was designed for primary use with WA 3.5, and needs to have all the updated files included to work properly.

The only other thing I can think of is to clean the CD, as sometimes WA won't start without it.

If you could give more info on your setup, eg which beta of Fiddler 4.1 you're using, then I can be of more help.

By the way, take care if you uninstall one version of WA with two installs, as it deletes the registry information, disabling the other.

Vader
11 Sep 2006, 20:23
Well, from following the guide on WAHELP I now know how to create a correct string in the regsitry for WA. The registries are fine; they're set how they should be and if they break I know how to fix them. The regular installation runs fine - I was playing last night, no problems at all. The problem seems to lie in Silkworm not correctly running when I try and run WA.exe

As a result of using the aformentioned guide I am using the following stuff in my WA Fiddler folder which, as I say, is located on an entirely separate HDD to my regular installation:

Fiddler.exe is v4.00.41. According the the readme, this build is from Friday, March 31st 2000. Fiddler runs fine but cannot launch WA.

As for Silkworm, the zip I downloaded had no Silkworm.ini at all. The following related files are present:

DXMfc.backup.dll
DXMfc.dll
Silkworm.dll
Silkworm_patch.exe

I'm using Silkworm v4.12a - the one available from WAHELP.

The CD is clean. As I say my normal WA runs without any problems.

So, if you can point me in the direction of Silkworm.ini and clarify whether or not I should be using an earlier build of Fiddler, it would be much appreciated. :)

Ed Webb
12 Sep 2006, 00:05
Okay. I should note that I'm using the European version of WA 3.0, which works fine with Silkworm, even though the Silkworm readme file says otherwise.

From the sound of things, Fiddler is becoming confused as to where to locate WA, and might be opening the wrong one. An idea is to swap the locations of the two WAs in the registry, so that PATH becomes FPTH and vice versa, and see what happens. You could also install Silkworm in both versions, as Silkworm doesn't have an effect on future versions of WA.

If Fiddler is still confused, you can use the 'Manual Load' button before opening WA. Fiddler 4.0.0.41 is the latest version, so it should be working fine.

For Silkworm, check to see what DXMfc.backup.dll's details are. It should be about 235kb, and made on the 26th April 1999. I suggest you restore it, and run the Silkworm_patch.exe again.

I've attached a version of Silkworm.ini, which I should have mentioned is made when Silkworm first runs. I can't think of anything else at the moment, as you have all the other necessary files. Hope this helps!

Vader
12 Sep 2006, 00:12
My CD is the European v1.0.0.2, I believe.

DXMfc.backup.dll's details are 234kb, created on 26th April 1999.

Even running WA manually doesn't work. It doesn't seem to be a problem with Fiddler. It seems to a problem with Silkworm.

You didn't attach the file! :(

Ed Webb
12 Sep 2006, 00:35
Oops. I attached the file, but it didn't appear in the post. :p

Have a look at WA 3.0 without Silkworm, you should be able to get to the menu screen without playing the game, which is where XP has problems.

If it does work, then there's something wrong with Silkworm. I can attempt to help out more, and possibly get Deadcode to help if he's around.

If it doesn't work, then I think a reinstall of WA is the best way to go (remember that an uninstall affects both WA's).

It's possible to have WA 3.0 and 3.6.26.5 in the same directory as a single install. I did a custom-made version of Fiddler, Fiddler 4.01 (http://www.edwardwebb.btinternet.co.uk/wormsmart/files/fiddler401beta.zip), which opens WA 3.0 when it has the filename 30.exe. It has no documentation, and doesn't work with two installs unless the PATH is changed to FPTH with a hex editor.

Vader
17 Sep 2006, 16:11
Uninstall only affects the one you want to uninstall if you have the registry set up right, I think.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled WA, silkworm, etc and it wtill won't work for me.

These un/reinstalls have had no affect on my regular copy of WA - it still works perfectly - or on getting 3.0 to run with Silkworm.

Vader
24 Sep 2006, 13:27
Right, sorry to double-post but I really want the Fiddler to work.

The instructions of WAHELP are not working for me and at no point have they.

If someone can provide me with a version of Silkworm and a version of Fiddler which actually work then I'll be mucho chuffed and able to put a guide to installing it all on my site, maybe.

Edit: I've just run Silkworm_Patch.exe through cmd and this is what it says:

Silkworm v3.75 patch by Deadcode <...@inorbit.com>
Patched "DXMfc.dll"

So, it seems I am trying to use SIlkworm v3.75 :p

Does anyone have a valid 4.12a download link I could have, please?