PDA

View Full Version : Cyrillic in chat WA

FiJer
3 Sep 2006, 04:49
Dear Team17
Tell please how to include Cyrillic in a chat of game WA (+patch)?

In advance I thank!

Lex
3 Sep 2006, 06:30
Unfortunately, there's no Cyrillic character set included with WA. :( Also, even if you edited the font files to include Cyrillic, it would not extend the character set, as far as I know! Does someone else know more about this?

Maunem2
3 Sep 2006, 07:31
FiJer, and what? In WA no Cyrillic?
I want to by it, but if here no cyrillic...
Can I speak with you on russian? I'm from Siberia. :)

Flamie
3 Sep 2006, 08:00
In advance I thank!

Found Master Yoda I have :D

Mr.Bad
3 Sep 2006, 10:30
Dear Team17
Tell please how to include Cyrillic in a chat of game WA (+patch)?

I am interested in answer too. can please the Masters Of The Game answer? Deadcode? Cyrilic charset is so very necessary!

Nihil
3 Sep 2006, 17:06
Please, Team17, include cyrillics in Wormnet! All of us on behalf of all Russia and the CIS countries we ask about it and it is begged!

Pleeeeeeeeeaaaseee!!!!!

CyberShadow
3 Sep 2006, 17:17
Hey guys,

Living in an xURSS country myself, I understand the importance of this - Russian people are practically unable to chat in their mother tongue and are resorted to transliterating their speech to the English alphabet. This is a great incommodity, having to use an alien alphabet to speak your own language.

Unfortunately, it is currently impossible to implement support for the Russian alphabet, while also maintaining support for European languages (currently the high ASCII set is used for symbols like ĂÂŢŞ, etc.) This is due to the fact that:
1) the game uses IRC, which wasn't designed with Unicode support in mind;
2) all characters are pre-rendered, and the game would have to include the graphics for several code pages; even so, activating one code page would make text entered with other code pages incomprehensable for others.
It would be possible to implement rendering of other characters, however this isn't an easy task, and true Unicode support might require to make the game incompatible with Windows 9x (since the Win9x core doesn't support Unicode).

Thus, this is a complicated problem, which could be solved only by a redesign of a part of the game.

Deadcode plans to design a new WormNET protocol; it will also have Unicode support, among many other improvements. I don't see this happening any time soon (before the end of this year), though.

Mr.Bad
4 Sep 2006, 06:41
CyberShdw, thank you for the answer. it seams the end of this year is not that far to panic. all we need now is to pray for the health of development team.

Mablak
4 Sep 2006, 10:24
Russians are adorable, I never see them on WN and it breaks my heart.

KRD
4 Sep 2006, 13:22
oOoOoO:

Mr.Bad:

Even if unicode support is added to the lobby chat, you still wouldn't be able to use Cyrillic characters in-game.

That would require actually including the characters in one of the ßeta updates, not to mention altering the code so that it would be possible to use them all. If it meant taking any other characters out, then I don't think it'd be worth it. If not, then hooray for me being able to use Č, Ž and Š.

evilworm2
7 Sep 2006, 08:48
Aargh there is too much cencoring in this forum. :(

Muzer
7 Sep 2006, 18:12
Um... there is only all the swears, plus p r i c k, which is a swear in certain contexts.

Nothing else is censored. Count yourself lucky this is not one of those places that censors out all rival companies :(

CyberShadow
7 Sep 2006, 18:14
His post got deleted after he directly (jokingly, though) "attacked" Flamie, by calling him a language nazi. He didn't mean the forum's automatic censor system.