PDA

View Full Version : Maps from other 2d WOrms Games for W:A

jcikal
12 Aug 2006, 16:20
I just d/l some maps ripped from Worms Reinforcement Game and I know you can also rip the maps from the World Party game as well. I was wondering if it was possible to also rip the maps from say the original Worms game as well? Has anyone tried? What format are they in?

bonz
12 Aug 2006, 16:27
Worms 1 didn't have any pre-made maps, only randomly generated ones, IIRC.

W1:R maps:
http://wmdb.org/Team17
WWP & Asian Worms maps:
http://www.angelfire.com/nd2/worms/index.html

jcikal
12 Aug 2006, 17:22
What about Worms 2 maps? Are they convertible to W:A?

AndrewTaylor
12 Aug 2006, 18:19
The resolution was the same, so I don't see why not. I don't think W2 had any full-colour pre-made maps in it. Did it have any unique landscape themes?

Lex
12 Aug 2006, 23:57
Yes, they're definitely convertible to WA. Use PrintScreen in the W2 map editor and paste into Paint.

jcikal
13 Aug 2006, 20:02
I don't have Worms 2 so if anyone could try to do this to see if it does indeed work, it would be sweet. Then I can buy the game off E-bay or a gaming store if it's available.

Lex
14 Aug 2006, 06:20
It does work. I have done it myself. It's just sort-of tedious. Nobody has reverse-engineered the Worms 2 .lev format yet, so there's no program for quickly converting between the map formats yet.

jcikal
14 Aug 2006, 15:41
How have you accomplished it lex? Could you give some hints? I just want to know if it's worth purchasing Worms 2 since obviously I wouldn't play it, but would get it just for obtaining the maps if they can be played in W:A.

Run
14 Aug 2006, 15:59
Well the maps are just pictures, and any pictures can be played in WA.

bonz
14 Aug 2006, 17:30
What's the difference between the W2 and W:A .lev files?
Because W:A can NOT read W2 .lev files.

jcikal
14 Aug 2006, 20:49
So if I purchase Worms 2, I can just copy the LEV files to W:A and just play them on W:A, bypassing Worms 2 altogether? Is that a correct assumption?

bonz
14 Aug 2006, 22:09
So if I purchase Worms 2, I can just copy the LEV files to W:A and just play them on W:A, bypassing Worms 2 altogether? Is that a correct assumption?
Nope. Does not work.

The W2 .lev files obviously are .gzip compressed files containing a larger, equally named file with no extension inside.
In the header (?) of the file is info about the water color, the terrain style and, as it seems, the code of a randomly generated map.

I have no idea or knowledge to do anything with that info.

Run
14 Aug 2006, 22:13
Copying and pasting from Cybershdw's msn window are we? ;)

Lex
14 Aug 2006, 22:20
Because W:A can read W2 .lev files.Is that so? When I tried to open a W2 .lev file in WA, it didn't work at all.The W2 .lev files obviously are .gzip compressed files containing a larger, equally named file with no extension inside.
In the header (?) of the file is info about the water color, the terrain style and, as it seems, the code of a randomly generated map.

I have no idea or knowledge to do anything with that info.What are you talking about, Bonz? Cite your source. I've never seen any documentation on W2 .lev files. Did you discover that yourself by a quick check with a hex editor?

Anyway, jcikal, no, you can't open W2 .lev files in WA, as far as I know. You can, however, take screenshots of the map when opened in the Worms 2 map editor, paste those screenshots in Paint, cut out the extra junk, correctly piece the map together, set the image size to 1920×696, colour the background black and the terrain white, then save it to your WA\User\Import directory, import it in the WA map editor, then save it as a WA .bit file.

bonz
14 Aug 2006, 22:34
Copying and pasting from Cybershdw's msn window are we? ;)
Nope.
Is that so? When I tried to open a W2 .lev file in WA, it didn't work at all.
Whoops!
They can of course not be read by W:A.
Corrected my previous post.
Did you discover that yourself by a quick check with a hex editor?
I asked CyberShdw if he can do something about that, when after a few seconds he exclaimed that the W2 files are .gzip compressed.

Well, I then renamed a .lev file to .gz and extracted it.
Inside was another, larger file, still not readable by W:A.
I checked it with a HEX editor and found that info at the beginning of the file.