PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question(s)

Rosethornn
3 Aug 2006, 19:33
Hiya guys. ^^ I love WA, and have just gotten myself a copy (after playing with friends for ages)..

a) Firstly, on a LAN/internet game, is there any way to chat while playing?

b) Is there any way to play WA in windowed mode?

bonz
3 Aug 2006, 20:08
a) Firstly, on a LAN/internet game, is there any way to chat while playing?
Yes, press "page down" to show a chat menu and "page up" to hide it again.
b) Is there any way to play WA in windowed mode?
No, AFAIK there isn't.

I suggest you check out www.nanacide.com/wahelp and get some info about patching/updating your game with the latest update, which is from January this year.

Rosethornn
4 Aug 2006, 00:24
thanks ^^

Rosethornn

thetopcybo
4 Aug 2006, 18:19
kkk, im not a noob but the questions im about to ask is almost newbie and i used this thread thinking that it is for all the noobish questions::

here's the first question,
in wormnet, beside the players flag, y is there a bronze medal for some, silver for some, and also stars from some...i hv even seen eyes in cutworms(programmed by eth0)

here is the second one,
hot to create a waterdrop in proper schemes????

bonz
4 Aug 2006, 19:18
in wormnet, beside the players flag, y is there a bronze medal for some, silver for some, and also stars from some...i hv even seen eyes in cutworms(programmed by eth0)
Those were for the online ranking system which has been removed in 2000 due to people hacking it.
People who have anything else than the (lowest) bronze rank are using the same hacks/tools than back in the day.

Those people mostly think that they are something special and only show off, but actually they are just n00bs. (Especially Lex.)
here is the second one,
hot to create a waterdrop in proper schemes????
If you have the beta updates, simply right-click on the water and it will be set to the correct height (only the minimum of the water visible).

Lex
5 Aug 2006, 03:39
Those people mostly think that they are something special and only show off, but actually they are just n00bs. (Especially Lex.)Wtffff. Don't you understand it yet? I told you that I only use it to represent my FB rank (or whatever league I am participating in)! It's not just to show off any more, silly-face. Yes, I called you silly-face. Deal with it. Baaaaahahaha!

Etho
5 Aug 2006, 04:07
I wear the eyes to bring attention to the program CutWorm and to get people talking about it. When I do finish it and release it, I don't want people oblivious of it. The only attention it brings me personally are noobies asking how I got them, of which I generally ignore.

[UFP]Ghost
5 Aug 2006, 04:36
good luck with that anyway, sounds like it will be a smash.

bonz
5 Aug 2006, 12:35
Wtffff. Don't you understand it yet? I told you that I only use it to represent my FB rank (or whatever league I am participating in)! It's not just to show off any more, silly-face. Yes, I called you silly-face. Deal with it. Baaaaahahaha!
:D :D :D :D

Stokesy
6 Aug 2006, 15:49
Got what may be a bit of a newbie question myself.

Been playing WA on PS1 for years, but only just got the PC version. On the PS1 version, i have always been able to create all CPU games in the "Create Single/Multiplayer game" section whenever i like, but with the PC version, it won't have it for some reason.

If i put in 2 CPU teams with any number of worms, different colours and any weapon/landscape set, it still won't let me press the Start Game button. But if i put in even 1 HUMAN worm, it'll work fine.

Is there any way of being able to do an all CPU game on WA PC, or am i just gonna have to put in a human worm and make it surrender every bloomin time?

Cheers

bonz
6 Aug 2006, 15:53
Is there any way of being able to do an all CPU game on WA PC, or am i just gonna have to put in a human worm and make it surrender every bloomin time?
There's no way, at least one human worm has to be in.
I never knew that the PS1 version was able to do this.

Perhaps when Deadcode is adding the ability to play against AI players in an online (Wormnet) game sometimes, he could also enable an all AI player game.
(The W:A screensaver can do it, so I guess it should work.)

Stokesy
6 Aug 2006, 16:10
There's no way, at least one human worm has to be in.
I never knew that the PS1 version was able to do this.

Perhaps when Deadcode is adding the ability to play against AI players in an online (Wormnet) game sometimes, he could also enable an all AI player game.
(The W:A screensaver can do it, so I guess it should work.)
Deadcode? :confused:

Some of my mates have also got W:A for PC, yet they all say that all AI player games work on their's, so i don't see why it shouldn't work on mine.

Plasma
6 Aug 2006, 16:31
Deadcode? :confused:
Deadcode is the nickname of the person that's single-handedly making the WA patches.

Stokesy
6 Aug 2006, 17:29
Deadcode is the nickname of the person that's single-handedly making the WA patches.
Ah right. Cheers.

bonz
6 Aug 2006, 19:38
I just tested it and games with AI players only definitely don't work.

Etho
7 Aug 2006, 19:47
Two AI teams can play against each other on w2 and wwp. It's strange that they cannot on w:a. I wonder if one of the patches removed the ability or if it never existed.

bonz
7 Aug 2006, 19:51
Two AI teams can play against each other on w2 and wwp. It's strange that they cannot on w:a. I wonder if one of the patches removed the ability or if it never existed.
Hmm. Strange.
Quite possible that it got removed, as the "generate map" function by entering random text has been removed too (in trade for the re-seed button).

Dando
9 Aug 2006, 02:33
I am developing a game and I can tell you window mode may if allowed, be bad for slower systems/bad Gcards...some I have tried run pathetic in window

Lex
9 Aug 2006, 21:41
Have you played the game, Within A Deep Forest? It runs just as smoothly windowed as it does full-screen, and it has music in .it format (which means the game has to render the music on the fly) as well as an 800×600 resolution! Games can be run smoothly in windowed mode. :) By the way, I have a slow-enough PC (256MB RAM, GeForce 2, 1150MHz CPU) to get a lot of screen lag in WA.

Seita
10 Aug 2006, 09:29
I just tested it and games with AI players only definitely don't work.

What I'm doing is usually add a human team that suicides at the beginning of the game.

Related to that topic, here is the longest worms game ever.
http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=26051

Dando
10 Aug 2006, 13:45
Have you played the game, Within A Deep Forest? It runs just as smoothly windowed as it does full-screen, and it has music in .it format (which means the game has to render the music on the fly) as well as an 800×600 resolution! Games can be run smoothly in windowed mode. :) By the way, I have a slow-enough PC (256MB RAM, GeForce 2, 1150MHz CPU) to get a lot of screen lag in WA.

I am talking less than geforce 2;) I have a mate who uses 233 MGHz comp, 2 MB gcard inbuilt crap, 96MB RAM. Frankly I dont know how he is playing worms but guarenteed if it was window mode he would need an upgrade. Well...he needs upgrade already, noone should have a system like that in this day and age granted.

KRD
10 Aug 2006, 14:01
My 200MHz Pentium [2 MMX, I believe] computer ran WA smoother than this Athlon64 3000+ laptop does. Fact. Same with the 500MHz Pentium 3 comp I had after.

I'd say the reason Lex is getting screen lag on WA has more to do with the computer being too new rather than the other way around. Not that this has anything to do with what you're talking about.

But so yes, I'm confident the P3 I have waiting in the closet would have handled windowed mode easily if it was coded properly. And if its PSU wasn't fried. |:<

bonz
10 Aug 2006, 15:33
I'd say the reason Lex is getting screen lag on WA has more to do with the computer being too new rather than the other way around.
I think Lex' machine detects his n00bness level and increases the screen lag accordingly.

Dando
10 Aug 2006, 15:33
Hmmm perhaps it is just what I am using to create games....fullscreen mode is faster thats a fact. but since most things I myself have seen work just as well in window mode, maybe it is just me;)

Is worms written in C++?

Seita
10 Aug 2006, 16:49
Yes, it is written in C++.

Dando
10 Aug 2006, 16:54
Yeah that explains it I guess Its the language type that can have a big difference:) most games are written in c++ i believe

Steffo
27 Mar 2007, 17:24
guess im reviving this thread....

well i a newbie...been playing this game for a while tho...but i'm a newbie when it comes to the Online area...

couple of Q's:

- why can't anyone join my game when i host?

- don't you guys think it would be a good idea if a channel was made just for newbies so they can play each other and gain experience? that way, also, the more experienced guys won't go around getting annoyed at newer people and insulting 'em etc...

k thanks :)

Muzer
27 Mar 2007, 17:46
1) www.nanacide.com/wahelp
2) Good idea :)

Plasma
27 Mar 2007, 22:59
- don't you guys think it would be a good idea if a channel was made just for newbies so they can play each other and gain experience? that way, also, the more experienced guys won't go around getting annoyed at newer people and insulting 'em etc...
Not really. Newbies can practice offline until they're fit for an online game.

SilPho
28 Mar 2007, 10:32
How are they supposed to practise when they don't have a clue what online gaming is like? The rules of many online games are nothing like the standard game types you fight offline. Deathmatches can teach you one way of gaming, but new players aren't going to notice the true potential of ropes without seeing it online.

I'm all for a "newbie" channel, I think it will increase the overall levels of satisfaction in the community, a lot of new players are scared off by the skill (and in some cases sheer rudeness) of more experienced players.

After all, if v4 is to "reinvent" 2D worms, we are going to want new players to feel comfortable here.

bonz
28 Mar 2007, 12:54
Hurrell is right.
The AI doesn't even utilise all the weapons, so newbies won't learn all the various tricks you can do with many weapons.

I'm thinking of underwater homing missile, bungee/parachute down the sides of a cave, weapons above the top border, etc.

[UFP]Ghost
28 Mar 2007, 23:18
bungee/parachute down the sides of a cave

How exactly is that done i never understood it.

bonz
29 Mar 2007, 00:17
Ghost;571149']How exactly is that done i never understood it.
Parachute:
--Select the parachute
--Walk off the edge
--Let the parachute activate automatically or manually do it if necessary
--Wind must not be too strong out into the ocean so you can compensate

Bungee:
--Select bungee
--Walk off the edge
--Don't move left or right
--Let the bungee go all the way down
--When you're bouncing back up tap the cursor key towards the land shortly and immediately release the bungee

franpa
29 Mar 2007, 07:01
Parachute:
--Select the parachute
--Walk off the edge
--Let the parachute activate automatically or manually do it if necessary
--Wind must not be too strong out into the ocean so you can compensate

Bungee:
--Select bungee
--Walk off the edge
--Don't move left or right
--Let the bungee go all the way down
--When you're bouncing back up tap the cursor key towards the land shortly and immediately release the bungee

when was this implemented? was it always possible to just walk off the edge of a cavern map and let the game auto para?

SilPho
29 Mar 2007, 10:47
You would need to select the parachute first, it opens automatically after your worm reaches a speed at which it would take fall damage.

bonz
29 Mar 2007, 11:14
when was this implemented? was it always possible to just walk off the edge of a cavern map and let the game auto para?
The parachute has always been opening automatically after you've fallen a certain height.

This is especially nasty if you didn't select your parachute first or you get paranoid and want to manually open it, only to be milliseconds too late and actually close the parachute that has just auto-opened.

It can look cool though when you jump a bit higher than the trigger height and it looks as if you managed to land without the parachute because the sprite animation hasn't enough time to be fully played.

franpa
29 Mar 2007, 14:08
im aware of how to do it but was curious as to whether or not it was alwaays implemented in w:a.