PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard problem

|Chronos|
31 Jul 2006, 16:49
So i bought 2 new keyboards,
the first one is some random crap for 10euros
the second one is a logitech for about 25euros...
When i try to press more than 2 keys at the same times like Arrows + space bar it goes like the old BEEP thing but doesn't make any noise.
Roping has become impossible what can I do, and why does it do that?

Run
31 Jul 2006, 18:01
That's the three-key glitch. As I remember, it's a hardware problem, which means all you can do is replace your keyboard.

But then again I also have a niggling feeling that I've been told that it is solvable... someone will probably be along in a moment with a more helpful post.

Edit: incidentally, it is possible to adapt to it. I have the glitch but I rope just fine*... eventually you get the feel for it.

*Addendum: I rope just fine in the context of getting from A to B without killing myself in a horrible landmine accident

KRD
31 Jul 2006, 18:46
I rope just fine...

*Saves for future reference.*

So far nobody I've met in the Worms community has overcame the 3-key lock. But generally all newer Logitech and Microsoft models are known for not having that problem, so perhaps you could go back to the store where you bought it and have it replaced with something more recent. Or buy one of those extra expensive "gaming" keyboards that the German nation seems so fond of.

Moral of the story: Try the keyboard out before buying.

|Chronos|
31 Jul 2006, 19:33
so there is no fix or what's so over?
that sucks hard i spent around 35euros for 2 keyboard which do not work? LOL
Please the guy who patches W:A can u make it work with next patch?
Thanks

|Chronos|
31 Jul 2006, 19:38
The funny this is that the keyboard is some Logitech Ultraflat with some keyresistance **** features and seems pretty new ....

evilworm2
31 Jul 2006, 19:44
Please the guy who patches W:A can u make it work with next patch?

Since it is a hardware bug, there is no way to patch this.

bonz
31 Jul 2006, 22:06
It is a hardware problem inherent to old (or cheap) keyboards.

The Compaq USB keyboard I had before didn't cause it, but the cheap €8.- Labtec PS/2 keyboard doesn't allow me to press 2 cursor keys and the space bar together.
You can increase the keyboard buffer in BIOS, so it takes 1-2 seconds longer until the keys lock up.

But what I did was to learn roping "free-handed", meaning quickly releasing all cursor keys when pressing the space bar.
(Of course, there are a few tricks you can't do anymore, though.)

Lex
31 Jul 2006, 22:24
It is a problem with the PS/2 port. I found that with my Logitech USB keyboard, if I used the PS/2 adapter that came with it, it would have the 3-key bug, but if I plugged it directly into a USB port, it worked smoothly. If you're using a PS/2 adapter, don't.

|Chronos|
1 Aug 2006, 00:41
ahhh sweet man thanks lex!! i'll test it out with usb :D cheers mate

MadEwokHerd
1 Aug 2006, 04:59
I don't rope well, nor do I even know if I have a glitch, but I have a software suggestion just in case this isn't solved: remap another of your keys to the space bar (or arrows or something..) when playing WA. Presumably there's some combination of three keys that work, such that you only need to use one key differently and then only when roping.

To actually do the remapping, I recommend AutoHotKey (http://www.autohotkey.com). It's free, simple to use, and doesn't involve any permanent change to your system. Here's a link to specific instructions (http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/misc/Remap.htm) for using it to remap keys.

KRD
1 Aug 2006, 12:39
Alex, why would anyone use a USB-to-PS2 adapter nowdays? I mean my 8-year-old PC had like 4 USB ports...

Oh if you end up remapping the spacebar key, I suggest the left alt key.

evilworm2
1 Aug 2006, 13:10
Alex, why would anyone use a USB-to-PS2 adapter nowdays?

I currently have to use one. On USB my mouse randomly stops working, because i have too many USB devices attached to my pc. With the PS2 adapter all works fine.

Plutonic
1 Aug 2006, 13:42
*loads notepad, starts holding down keys*

I have a wireless logitech, now i dont use it for roping, i have a playstation keyboard for that which i use through USB, but the wireless can use either and I use PS/2 because I need it to work in my KVM switch. I get a 4 key, keyboard lock (which is fine for roping, saying otherwise is just silly).

KRD
1 Aug 2006, 19:31
Yah, it's not entirely the PS2 port's fault. All PS2 keyboards I've had have worked flawlessly, no silly locks.

Lex
1 Aug 2006, 20:01
Yeah, and this keyboard I'm using at work is a pure PS/2 keyboard that doesn't lock. It may simply be a problem with USB-to-PS/2 adapters.

By the way, I tried using a PS/2 adapter for my keyboard back then because I only had 2 USB ports. One was for my mouse and the other was for my camera. I switched to using the mouse's PS/2 adapter, of course, since there are no locks there.

bonz
1 Aug 2006, 20:44
It may simply be a problem with USB-to-PS/2 adapters.
Definitely not. I read an article about that somewhere.
It's how the keyboards are built.

The buttons are laid out as a matrix, with a button at each intersection.
If you press a button, the circuit between a specific line and row is closed.
If you press multiple buttons in a line or row, it'll lock up.

Lex
1 Aug 2006, 21:08
Then how is it possible for there to be a difference between the use of a USB keyboard with a PS/2 adapter and and the use of that same keyboard without the adapter? If it was only internal, there would be no difference upon the removal of the PS/2 adapter.

bonz
1 Aug 2006, 21:15
Then how is it possible for there to be a difference between the use of a USB keyboard with a PS/2 adapter and and the use of that same keyboard without the adapter? If it was only internal, there would be no difference upon the removal of the PS/2 adapter.
I have no idea.

It probably is Shang Tsung's eternal curse... ;)

Lex
1 Aug 2006, 21:34
Or, there's a limit in data rate through USB-to-PS/2 adapters, where a certain number of input bytes can not be sent simultaneously, because of how USB and PS/2 work. That seems most logical.

By the way, that's a complete guess, though I would not be surprised at all if it's [almost] dead on.

|Chronos|
1 Aug 2006, 23:48
It doesn't work...the USB instead of PS2 didn't work with me..
It is better yes because now i can rope a bit but still i stuck sometimes and i fall cuz the rope won't come out again...any other suggestion?

Lex
1 Aug 2006, 23:55
Can you do some more definitive tests so you can eliminate the word, "sometimes", from your posts?

|Chronos|
2 Aug 2006, 00:01
I don't rope well, nor do I even know if I have a glitch, but I have a software suggestion just in case this isn't solved: remap another of your keys to the space bar (or arrows or something..) when playing WA. Presumably there's some combination of three keys that work, such that you only need to use one key differently and then only when roping.

To actually do the remapping, I recommend AutoHotKey (http://www.autohotkey.com). It's free, simple to use, and doesn't involve any permanent change to your system. Here's a link to specific instructions (http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/misc/Remap.htm) for using it to remap keys.

This worked really good :) thanks mate!

|Chronos|
2 Aug 2006, 00:02
Can you do some more definitive tests so you can eliminate the word, "sometimes", from your posts?
Ok let's say that it works when i'm carefull of not pressing more than 2 buttons at the same time (which makes impossible of doing some tricks)
Atm i'm gonna test if remapping the space to a same key on the same line of keys will do the trick (it works fine if i remap A with Space for example)
EDIT: ALT doesnt work much fine still is much better than space, seems like it has to be a few top key (i.e. i bind 1 to space and it works really super fine)

Lex
2 Aug 2006, 00:37
You're talking in degrees as if it's analogue. Think in digital, and you'll be able to give definitive test results. For example, tell me that in the case of "up" and "left" being held, "space" does not register. There are no variances of "good" or "bad" in this sort of testing. The key either registers or it doesn't, in specific situations. So, tell me exactly how the alt key is better by telling me what keys, exactly, used in combination with it, make it not respond. Do the same thing for the space key. Please be precise.

|Chronos|
2 Aug 2006, 00:42
ok, lol
If i press up arrow + right or left and ALT key it works
if I press down arrow + right or left and ALT it doesn't work
I've bypassed it using the remapper, and remapping other key ( TAB ) to space so now it works like space...;)

Lex
2 Aug 2006, 02:03
Nice. That was much more clear. :)

|Chronos|
2 Aug 2006, 02:53
i hope other ppl who got my problem can fix it with that cool program