PDA

View Full Version : New Version of Fiddler for XP

jcikal
23 Jul 2006, 19:01
Is there a possibility to make fiddler work with XP without having to fiddle (pardon the pun) with the registry and double installations of the program? Whatever became of the person responsible for the program? Is he still around? COuld someone tackle the Fiddler program to make it work properly under XP?

Perhaps for the next update Deadcode could give us the same features fiddler does or at least allow for the full wormage and bloody worms features, etc.

Muzer
23 Jul 2006, 19:14
Yes, but then you'll only have version 3.0.0.0 and no beta patches avaliable

PM me if you want to know how to do this.

BTW, Blood and full wormage are avaliable when you complete missions!

bonz
23 Jul 2006, 19:50
CyberShadow got the source code from Fudge Boy the author of The Fiddler, but Deadcode has asked him not to do anything with it.

[UFP]Ghost
23 Jul 2006, 20:33
did deadcode* say why?

bonz
23 Jul 2006, 21:04
Ghost']did deadcode* say why?
Because he has other plans with the Fiddler file system.

Lex
23 Jul 2006, 21:46
The plans are well-known. The Fiddler scheme (.fsc) format will be supported by WA, so you can load Fiddler schemes with WA.

jcikal
24 Jul 2006, 00:11
Does that mean Deadcode is going to fix the fiddler program to work with XP?

bonz
24 Jul 2006, 06:27
Does that mean Deadcode is going to fix the fiddler program to work with XP?
No, but W:A will support the Fiddler's scheme format.

Muzer
24 Jul 2006, 07:32
Which means you will be able to make fiddles, save them, then open them in WA

Ed Webb
28 Jul 2006, 15:12
I didn't realise Fudge Boy had sent the source code out. When I sent a message to Deadcode earlier in the year, I had considered Fudge would only give details about the file format, as he wanted to keep the source code private.

I have some free time over the summer, and can help with any queries about the different options in the Fiddler, and can help test any pre-release versions of WA. I could even upload the Wormsmart website with all the fiddler files, if there's a demand for it still.

Muzer
28 Jul 2006, 16:07
Ooh! You still havge them? In that case, yes, please!

[UFP]Ghost
28 Jul 2006, 16:44
please do that and post a link to the site once u do as i forget it.

bonz
28 Jul 2006, 18:26
I could even upload the Wormsmart website with all the fiddler files, if there's a demand for it still.
Heck, yes! Do that! :D

Ed Webb
28 Jul 2006, 21:19
Okay then, I didn't realise how much the Fiddler and files are still in demand. :)

I'm going to upload the site and the files to my webspace over the next few days. You can find a placeholder for the site below, remember to bookmark it for future visits.

Wormsmart (http://www.edwardwebb.btinternet.co.uk/wormsmart/)

Lex
28 Jul 2006, 21:33
Delicious.

zzplayer
2 Aug 2006, 11:57
Hi!
I recently installed worms armageddon (V3.6.26.5)
The Fiddler is not working for this version.
Is there a way to play with The Fiddler? I am very interested :)
thank you!

Run
2 Aug 2006, 12:16
no it doesn't work for that version it only works for v3.0.0.0

zzplayer
2 Aug 2006, 12:52
You mean, if I reinstall the game, then the patch V3.0.0.0
I can use The Fiddler on WinXP ?

Run
2 Aug 2006, 13:42
Well yes but you have to do a lot of fiddling (no pun intended)

http://www.nanacide.com/wahelp/tpp-fiddler.php

Lex
2 Aug 2006, 16:23
fiddling (no pun intended)You're not getting out of it that easily! The pun was so-obviously intended! ;D

Run
2 Aug 2006, 16:27
actually it wasn't, I only noticed it when I went back to change it to "faffing" but decided to leave it for punful purposes :)

Lex
2 Aug 2006, 16:28
Ah, now you've gotten out of it. ;)

Plasma
2 Aug 2006, 17:06
I only noticed it when I went back to change it to "faffing" but decided to leave it for punful purposes :)
So now you're saying that you did intend it!

Run
2 Aug 2006, 18:29
But it was initially unintenah shaddup

Lex
2 Aug 2006, 21:36
Baaahahahaha! :D

zzplayer
2 Aug 2006, 23:47
Thank you :-/
I seems very difficult to make the Fiddler working.
How about a patch or something :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

By using the nanacide's help, how long does it takes to make the fiddler working?

Ed Webb
3 Aug 2006, 13:26
Hi!
I recently installed worms armageddon (V3.6.26.5)
The Fiddler is not working for this version.
Is there a way to play with The Fiddler? I am very interested :)
thank you!
As above, you need WA 3.0.0.0 for Fiddler to work. I currently have both this version and 3.6.26.5 working together in one directory using different file names, and use Fiddler's 'Manual load' button before selecting the old version of WA.

I intend to bundle a modified version of Fiddler with Silkworm 4.12a to make it easier to setup, Silkworm being what's needed to get WA working with XP.

For WA 3.0, you might have it on the CD still. If so, copy it to your Worms Armageddon directory with a name like 'wa30.exe' (or rename the latest version as something like 'wa-3.6.26.5.exe' and then copy it across).

If you don't have it, then you would have to uninstall the latest version to get 3.0 back, which you can backup before installing the latest one again.

Muzer
3 Aug 2006, 18:45
www.nanacide.com/wahelp

Find fiddler

[UFP]Ghost
3 Aug 2006, 19:11
I knoiw deadcode is planning all this and i'm sure it will most likely be realesed with the 4.0 but ummmmm that could be A LONG time away.

wouldn't it be good for someone to work on a temprary fiddler for xp?

zzplayer
4 Aug 2006, 00:20
I intend to bundle a modified version of Fiddler with Silkworm 4.12a to make it easier to setup, Silkworm being what's needed to get WA working with XP.

Thank you for fast answers. You said you would bundle a modified version of Fiddler, how long do you think it will take? :)

zzplayer
4 Aug 2006, 12:25
I tried the nanacide's method.
When I launch the fiddler then press GO,
Worms armageddon is loading. V3.0.0.0
But this version doesn't work for me. I get a crash problem 'back to windows' when I start to play...
:confused:

My problem doesn't come from Fiddler, right? :rolleyes:

By the way, I heard it is working well by Hamachi LAN, true?

Thank you!

bonz
4 Aug 2006, 15:53
I tried the nanacide's method.
When I launch the fiddler then press GO,
Worms armageddon is loading. V3.0.0.0
But this version doesn't work for me. I get a crash problem 'back to windows' when I start to play...
My problem doesn't come from Fiddler, right?
I bet you have done something.
Before the game launches, the small Silkworm window should pop up, where you have to tick the "Windows 2k/XP mouse wheel bug" box to enable Win2k/XP compatibility for the v3.0 version.
By the way, I heard it is working well by Hamachi LAN, true?
I have no idea.
All I know is, that you can't play online (Wormnet) because you get a message that the Fiddler is not allowed. (I think this has been added in v3.0).

So go check out a LAN game (via Hamachi) and tell us if it works.

Ed Webb
4 Aug 2006, 19:01
Thank you for fast answers. You said you would bundle a modified version of Fiddler, how long do you think it will take? :)
Shouldn't take long. I'm currently writing a readme file on how to set Fiddler up before I upload it, and can later take some screenshots on what to do.

Ed Webb
4 Aug 2006, 19:09
Hamachi is interesting, but I think it would be better if the message that blocks Wormnet while Fiddler is running were removed.

Fiddler works online, so long as all players have the same Fiddler file running. I can ask Fudge Boy about removing it, though I'm going to wait for a reply from Deadcode before I do.

Lex
5 Aug 2006, 03:36
Well, if Fudge Boy gave away the source, I'd think it would be safe to assume that he entrusted those he gave it to to make good decisions with it. I think he originally coded the message so that it could not be used for ranked league games, but since those don't exist any more, I'd say it's perfectly fine to take away the message.

zzplayer
5 Aug 2006, 12:06
I tried to reinstall everything.
First WA only. It seems my WA V3.0.0.0 definitively doesn't work, I got a "back to windows" anyway. (It appears after I selected the teams & press go)

When I apply the update V3.6.26.5, the game is working perfectly.
But the Fiddler, doesn't right?

What should I do to play with the Fiddler? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanks again!

bonz
5 Aug 2006, 12:33
What should I do to play with the Fiddler?
You have to folllow this tutorial step by step:
http://www.nanacide.com/wahelp/tpp-fiddler.php

Run has already posted the link before... :rolleyes:

zzplayer
5 Aug 2006, 15:09
I mean, as I wrote before, I noticed my problem doesn't come at all from the fiddler :)
I just cannot make my WA working on the V3.0.0.0 or lower. (only if update, it's working fine. otherwise, I get strange colors problems or crash ^^)

thank you anyway for answering

bonz
5 Aug 2006, 15:42
I mean, as I wrote before, I noticed my problem doesn't come at all from the fiddler :)
I just cannot make my WA working on the V3.0.0.0 or lower. (only if update, it's working fine. otherwise, I get strange colors problems or crash ^^)

thank you anyway for answering
That's where the Silkworm tool jumps in. It makes v3.0 compatible with Win2k/XP.
Read the tutorial again.

zzplayer
6 Aug 2006, 00:53
ok thank you
I will try again :-/

Lex
6 Aug 2006, 07:07
Hey Run. This is a perfect example of the desirability of explanations beyond instructions. If zzplayer had known what Silkworm was for, he may have installed it correctly. Perhaps saying something simple like,Windows XP/2000 users: You must have Silkworm 4.12a installed, or else Worms Armageddon will not run correctly. Please follow these steps carefully.might go a little way in the right direction.

Run
6 Aug 2006, 14:35
Well to be fair the introduction does advise people to follow the tutorial perfectly anyway, and there's a section titled "installing fiddler and silkworm" so it really can't get more obvious than that.

I'll stick a line in the FAQ on that page anyway.

Edit: Actually no I'll highlight the word 'perfectly'. :)

Ed Webb
8 Aug 2006, 22:29
An update on the modified version of Fiddler, which will support XP.

I've being making some changes to the program, removing the right hand sidebar and replacing references to the old mailing list with links to WormsMart.

Instead of looking for wa.exe, Fiddler will now look for 30.exe. This is so that you can have the latest version as wa.exe, so long as you copy/rename version 3.0 to 30.exe.

At the moment Fiddler is hard to setup, but I hope to improve things by including info on installing Fiddler, and including step by step screenshots on how to do this on the website.

I'm looking into using an installer for Fiddler like Inno Setup in the future, so that it will be easier to get the program up and running, for the moment the program will be packed in a zip file and put on the website in the near future.

That's about it for the moment, stay tuned for info on the release date. :)

[UFP]Ghost
8 Aug 2006, 22:32
same bat time?
same bat channel?
(for the release date)

Ed Webb
10 Aug 2006, 14:17
Sure thing, once I can get hold of a Batman costume (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Batman1966_1.gif) on eBay, so I can take on the bad guys. And Catwoman, who I guess isn't a guy.

As for Fiddler, I hope to release it around the weekend, if everything goes to plan. No guarantees, though.

Now, Robin, I'm off to swing on the batrope and use the batmobile... phone, that is.

Ed Webb
10 Aug 2006, 15:40
I have just thought of something, the Fiddler would be an awesome name for a bad guy in Batman.

Batman: Your terrible violin playing comes to an end right now, Fiddler.
Fiddler: No way, Batman. I'm having too much fun, and besides, you haven't heard my latest composition.
Batman: No, surely not, you wouldn't dare...
Fiddler: Yes, it most certainly is, and I definitely would. I'm about to play... ABBA's Dancing Queen!
*starts playing*
Batman: Nooooooooo, another classic ruined......

Not that most Americans know who ABBA are, I just thought it was the best song for the scene.

Of course, there's already the Riddler as a bad guy, so that spoils things a bit, but still, you should not underestimate the powers of bad music playing.

We now return to the scheduled thread.

bonz
10 Aug 2006, 15:58
Let's everybody rename the ninja rope back to bat rope. :)

[UFP]Ghost
10 Aug 2006, 19:43
yes i do know abba, dont' hear em that often but i heard osme of there stuff, anway.

Robin: Holy Noise Batman, it's Bad Music (thats th ebest i can think of right now cause robin doesn't use any language that even close to bad :P)