PDA

View Full Version : maps

xLVxJang
9 Jul 2006, 12:01
Is there posible patch, where map, what is downloaded, are saved to special folder f ex. "savedgame", so next time, if fileneame match, dont need to download from host it again?

bonz
9 Jul 2006, 12:31
Is there posible patch, where map, what is downloaded, are saved to special folder f ex. "savedgame", so next time, if fileneame match, dont need to download from host it again?
IIRC, Deadcode is planning something like this.
The maps would need to get a unique ID (watermarking?).
Filename alone is not enough.

xLVxJang
9 Jul 2006, 12:42

that would b e grate.... somekind crc code or other..

evilworm2
9 Jul 2006, 12:43
This is not a good idea.
e.g. I often fix maps i downloaded from others.

Plutonic
9 Jul 2006, 12:56
then you will have to download them when someone else hosts, it wont overwrite your version.

bonz
9 Jul 2006, 14:16
Hmmm... Ever heard about copyright? :)

Run
9 Jul 2006, 14:27
Hmmm... Ever heard about copyright? :)

Maybe he's parodying them with his alterations. ;)

evilworm2
9 Jul 2006, 15:50
Maybe he's parodying them with his alterations. ;)

No, i fix bugs. Like removing dark pixels you canīt see.
Or preventing worms from beeing trapped in a scheme with indestructable terrain.

I do respect work from others

xLVxJang
9 Jul 2006, 19:22
This is not a good idea.
read this:

if u change one bit of the map, automaticly that unique ID will change...

evilworm2
9 Jul 2006, 19:27
if u change one bit of the map, automaticly that unique ID will change...

Right. Thatīs why an unique id does not work.

xLVxJang
9 Jul 2006, 19:35
it should work, if map aren`t changed...

bonz
10 Jul 2006, 07:11
Unique IDs are a requirement if you want maps to get recognized and not downloaded each time.

Changed someone elses map does only give you the corrected map, but noone else.
(Except if you host games. But then many different versions of the map float around.)
A better idea is to contact the author and tell him to fix the map.

Calling a map a remix only after changing a few pixels would be a bit exaggerated.

CyberShadow
11 Jul 2006, 05:28
You are talking about a map cache, and I'd suggest implementing it the same way everyone else implements caches. I would imagine it being implemented like this:
A new folder in the User folder - User\MapCache. The map will have files of the sort 517CC1B7.png - where the file name represents the map's check sum (by its contents). Each time a game is played on a new map, the map is automatically saved there. Each time a game is played on a map that's in the cache, the map file's datetime is updated (touched). When the game exits, it will automatically delete old entries (maps that haven't been played on for a month, for example).

Configuration of this feature is possible, but not necessary. The user could set the maximum size allocated to maps, and the decay time.

Either way, this feature will become a requirement when the game is switched to true colour (true colour maps will occupy a greater amount of space), and when the map size limit will be removed or expanded.

Lex
11 Jul 2006, 05:53
I want you to have the source code, CyberShadow.

bonz
11 Jul 2006, 06:17
I want you to have the source code, CyberShadow.
He's distinguishing himself as a worthy successor.
I shall call CyberShadow "Quarter-God" from now on.

Plutonic
11 Jul 2006, 12:15
You are talking about a map cache, and I'd suggest implementing it the same way everyone else implements caches. I would imagine it being implemented like this:
A new folder in the User folder - User\MapCache. The map will have files of the sort 517CC1B7.png - where the file name represents the map's check sum (by its contents). Each time a game is played on a new map, the map is automatically saved there. Each time a game is played on a map that's in the cache, the map file's datetime is updated (touched). When the game exits, it will automatically delete old entries (maps that haven't been played on for a month, for example).

Configuration of this feature is possible, but not necessary. The user could set the maximum size allocated to maps, and the decay time.

Either way, this feature will become a requirement when the game is switched to true colour (true colour maps will occupy a greater amount of space), and when the map size limit will be removed or expanded.

couldnt then people just edit those pngs and mess the whole thing up?

Lex
11 Jul 2006, 13:46
Yes, just like they could edit WA.exe and make it not run.

Plasma
11 Jul 2006, 16:19
You'd probably have to have the ID of the map shown when you're playing on it online, so that you'd be able to find it later.

No.
WA maps are not stored as png files.

Unless I'm missing something...

Lex
11 Jul 2006, 21:24
Yes, Plasma. You missed about 3 years of custom colour maps, apparently.

bonz
11 Jul 2006, 22:06
Question: How is this "unique map" thing handled in other games like Counterstrike or Unreal Tournament?
Do they rely on the filename only?

CyberShadow
12 Jul 2006, 07:45
Question: How is this "unique map" thing handled in other games like Counterstrike or Unreal Tournament?
Do they rely on the filename only?

The server sends the file name and the checksum (for WA the checksum would be enough). If the server's file and the local file differs (the client re-calculates the checksum of the file in the cache), the client downloads the map from the server, overwriting the local file.

Plasma
12 Jul 2006, 20:20
Yes, Plasma. You missed about 3 years of custom colour maps, apparently.
I meant, aren't WA maps saved as BITmaps?

bonz
12 Jul 2006, 21:22
I meant, aren't WA maps saved as BITmaps?
No, online color maps are .png files to reduce size, because .bmp files are too large and .bit files are not in color.