PDA

View Full Version : Program for backing up W:A

evilworm2
7 Jul 2006, 18:57
Hi.

As you can see, there is another little helper from me.

Current features:
- Backup W:A User folder (using zip compression)
- Restore User folder from zip file
- also backups custom folders within the user folder
- compatible with the fiddler (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=21439)
- Fortune (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortune_(program))-like feature (only because i ever wanted my own)

Planned feature:
- Store/download packages to/from a server
- Burn packages to a cd

You can download it here (http://wiki.thecybershadow.net/WormsBackup).

bonz
7 Jul 2006, 20:11
Two possibilities:

1) A visionary file format included by some T17 programmer in a dummy file for some Worms fan who wants to implement a Worms backup tool 7 years after release of the game.

or

2) A file containing the text strings of all the speechbank sounds for the BankEditor.exe tool.

;)

Muzer
7 Jul 2006, 20:18
Where did you get that program? Or did you just make that screenshot?

[UFP]Ghost
7 Jul 2006, 23:08
yes i would love to try it out and test. btw good is the compression on that thing cause my folder is over 1gb lol. and uh nice pic XD

Dando
7 Jul 2006, 23:32
I thought about making a program like that, wouldn't be any trouble. Only thing is I figure its pointless, what does it take to copy and paste the user folder....

[UFP]Ghost
7 Jul 2006, 23:53
yes but it does it cooler, end or arguement even prgrams that seem useless to u maybe cooler and easier than doing it urself with less clicks.

evilworm2
7 Jul 2006, 23:54
I thought about making a program like that, wouldn't be any trouble. Only thing is I figure its pointless, what does it take to copy and paste the user folder....

There is no point. Just made it for fun. I am lazy. A single click is better than two.
And btw there will come such features as online sharing of packages. I am writing a server soon.

bonz
7 Jul 2006, 23:56
Ghost']easier than doing it urself with less clicks.
Ehrm...
It takes one right click on the user folder and another one to compress it with either WinAce, WinRAR or 7-Zip. :-/

[UFP]Ghost
7 Jul 2006, 23:58
so ummmmmmmmm, well bonz, quiet. do you have to be so logical all the time?

bonz
8 Jul 2006, 00:02
Ghost']do you have to be so logical all the time?
I haven't yet found the switch to turn off my brain.
And I'm logical by default.

[UFP]Ghost
8 Jul 2006, 00:05
do u have any configuration options, maybe u can take the checkmark off of logic :p

[UFP]Ghost
8 Jul 2006, 00:15
lol i was talking about bonz's brain :P

bonz
8 Jul 2006, 00:34
i am lazy, you know?
What compression algorithm are you using?

evilworm2
8 Jul 2006, 01:21
What compression algorithm are you using?

I was thinking about others, but i use java.util.zip.ZipEntry and
- java.util.zip.ZipOutputStream for zipping
- java.util.zip.ZipFile for unzipping

Means standard Zip compression format. Wanted to keep it as much compatible as possible.

[UFP]Ghost
8 Jul 2006, 01:37
can i have it and try it :?

evilworm2
8 Jul 2006, 01:49
Ghost']can i have it and try it :?

Sure.
I just work on it a little to make it a bit more noob-proof. Like preventing users from zipping and unzipping at the same time. ;)
I will provide a download link when i think it is suitable for the comunity. (soon)

MadEwokHerd
8 Jul 2006, 04:17
The reg command doesn't exist on wine. This does not bode well for your program's compatibility.

CyberShadow
8 Jul 2006, 07:04
Java has no native way to access the Windows registry. Workarounds include using OS command-line tools, or 3rd-party libraries - both of these have their disadvantages.

Either way, the program must be able to gracefully fall back in case it can't detect the Worms installation path from the Windows registry, and prompt the user.

evilworm2
8 Jul 2006, 07:41
Either way, the program must be able to gracefully fall back in case it can't detect the Worms installation path from the Windows registry, and prompt the user.

It does. I love to throw exceptions. ;)

Muzer
8 Jul 2006, 08:00
Can U PM me with a link (if availiable).

You can think of me as a sort of... beta tester :p

Lex
8 Jul 2006, 17:21
evilworm2, couldn't you make some more useful programs with your talent? For example, you could make a scheme editor that informs the user about nonstandard power levels, and displays the damage made by weapons with certain power levels, etc. The program could also show the real water rise rate settings, according to the code facts on this page (http://www.nanacide.com/wahelp/info-factoids.php).

This is only a suggestion. I realize your program is nice learning experience for you. So, nice job there, I suppose.

Muzer
9 Jul 2006, 07:57
I have tested it a bit. I'll test it more later, but here are the things that are most obvious:
When used with a non-WinXP style environment (My brother's account is set to Windows Classic), the buttons and stuff look a bit strange.

Also, it would be nice if it would give you the choice between PATH or FPTH (if avaliable), coz then I can backup my fiddler files as well!

bonz
9 Jul 2006, 10:51
Also, it would be nice if it would give you the choice between PATH or FPTH (if avaliable), coz then I can backup my fiddler files as well!
Yes, you got a point there.
Also a general option where to put the backup.

evilworm2
9 Jul 2006, 12:45
Also a general option where to put the backup.

There is.

The message you have entered is too short.

evilworm2
9 Jul 2006, 12:46
When used with a non-WinXP style environment (My brother's account is set to Windows Classic), the buttons and stuff look a bit strange.

Fixed.

Done.

bonz
9 Jul 2006, 14:14
Can someone tell me what it does exactly to the folder structure of W:A? I know the fiddler thread (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=21439), but i don`t use it.
It's used for a dual-install of W:A. One patched with the beta updates and one on v3.0 to work with Fiddler.
You have to manually edit the path in the registry and hex-edit the the fiddler.exe to find it.

Genexi2
9 Jul 2006, 14:17
I just copy my entire folder to W:A to a CD I burned when backing up my PC, apparently did the trick. ;/
(just copied it back over when I formatted my PC, insert CD to play, worked fine iirc)

bonz
9 Jul 2006, 14:24
Yes, i know. But i only back up the folders within the User directory, which you can see on the screenshot. So i need to backup the WA.exe too?
No, but the user should have the option to choose which of his two user folders he wants to backup.

evilworm2
9 Jul 2006, 17:54
folder...W:A...to a CD...burned

Maybe i include an option to burn the selected folders to a cd, besides storing it on an online server. Ty for the idea.

Muzer
9 Jul 2006, 18:25
I will now test da new version.

DL'ing.
Loading (god this PC's slow)

BTW, I'm not sure if this is changed or not, but when you move ur mouse over import in both versions, it comes up with "Don't use this". It should read "Other types of maps go here"

Also, in both versions, there is no progress bar that shows how far it's done, or at least something to tell you it's doing something...

I think if you make some custom folders in the \user folder, it should add thosae to the list with "User created folder" as a caption.

EG I have one called "Fiddles", and I can't back it up via your program.

evilworm2
9 Jul 2006, 18:40
BTW, I'm not sure if this is changed or not, but when you move ur mouse over import in the old version, it comes up with "Don't use this". It should read "Other types of maps go here"

Fixed.

Also, in the old version, there is no progress bar that shows how far it's done, or at least something to tell you it's doing something...

Will add a progress bar soon. Anyhow, you can see that it does something, because the checkboxes are disabled during (un)zipping.

Muzer
9 Jul 2006, 18:54
I think if you make some custom folders in the \user folder, it should add thosae to the list with "User created folder" as a caption.

Also, If you change it to fiddler then view folder structure, it incorrectly shows the wrong one.

Normal WA seems in order, I will now try the fiddler.

EDIT: I also reckon you should make a backup files organiser, like the WA Game organiser (link below)
This uses the filename to sort the file in different ways. ( http://www.rrkit.com/files/downloads/ReplayOrganiser_v0.2.zip )

EDIT: Fiddler is in order

evilworm2
9 Jul 2006, 19:03

Yeah, right.

Also, If you change it to fiddler then view folder structure, it incorrectly shows the wrong one.

Fixed.

I also reckon you should make a backup files organiser, like the WA Game organiser (link coming soon)
This uses the filename to sort the file in different ways.

IŽll think about it, but since the backup files are ordinary zip files, one can easily organize them with the Windows explorer

Muzer
9 Jul 2006, 19:16
Is that "Yeah, right." Sarcasm?

evilworm2
9 Jul 2006, 19:28
Is that "Yeah, right." Sarcasm?

No. Means: This was planned as a feature, but now it turns out as a bug.
Will fix this. ;) fixed

evilworm2
10 Jul 2006, 00:37
I also reckon you should make a backup files organiser, like the WA Game organiser (link below)
This uses the filename to sort the file in different ways. ( http://www.rrkit.com/files/downloads/ReplayOrganiser_v0.2.zip )

Wow this oneŽs nice. Who is responsible for this?

KRD
10 Jul 2006, 12:33
MrLee made that.

Muzer
10 Jul 2006, 17:41
I think you should add a list of added features (version history) to either your first post or site.

Also, put the site in the first post (if you want) so I don't have to keep going back to my PMs to visit it.

Also, which features were added in 0.42b?

Muzer
27 Jul 2006, 20:05
Is this still on?

Lex
27 Jul 2006, 21:23
Also, put the site in the first post (if you want) so I don't have to keep going back to my PMs to visit it.I think you forgot to look at the infobox on the right side of the wiki page. There's a "Website" link in it.

Muzer
28 Jul 2006, 10:46
Look @ the date! :eek:

Lex
28 Jul 2006, 14:30
What about it?

Muzer
28 Jul 2006, 16:09
He's added a link since then!