PDA

View Full Version : Black Screen, cant play

CoLT_s
15 Jun 2006, 02:22
After setting up a game, i click the button to start the game and it say "Please wait... working" then the screen fades to black and just stays that way. What's going on?

stevied92
15 Jun 2006, 07:48
Hey, I have the same problem. I managed to install the game and get it working after the "MS-DOS" message came up, but now whenever I attempt to start a deathmatch, the disc stops whirring and the screen goes blank. Anyone know how to sort this out?

lefortek
15 Jun 2006, 08:03
http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=26802&highlight=blank+screen

bonz
15 Jun 2006, 13:11
Check the FAQ section on www.nanacide.com/wahelp.

Dando
16 Jun 2006, 01:55
Seriously bonz, that link gets shown by you time and time again. Is it not stickied somewhere? People should start looking around instead of just asking for help...I have done it in the past but not for things like this:)

bonz
16 Jun 2006, 03:27
Seriously bonz, that link gets shown by you time and time again. Is it not stickied somewhere? People should start looking around instead of just asking for help...I have done it in the past but not for things like this:)
It is: http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18238

People are:
(a) too lazy too look
(b) too stupid to find
(c) both (a) and (b)

[UFP]Ghost
16 Jun 2006, 18:21
It is: http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18238

People are:
(a) too lazy too look
(b) too stupid to find
(c) both (a) and (b)

or maybe:
(d) people just think your so cool they wan't you to post the link just for them

Plasma
16 Jun 2006, 18:28
Ghost']or maybe:
(d) people just think your so cool they wan't you to post the link just for them
No, he was stating the possibilities!

bonz
16 Jun 2006, 19:37
No, he was stating the possibilities!
No, those were facts.
People are lazy and stupid.

And I'm cool BTW.
www.nanacide.com/wahelp

Dando
16 Jun 2006, 20:05
agreed.

I am lazy...but not stupid....but yes, you are right:)

You should just say "search these forums better please" make them atleast try.

bonz
17 Jun 2006, 02:50
You should just say "search these forums better please" make them atleast try.
If you tell them that, people
(a) start a discussion about you didn't just post them the solution.
(b) start another thread in a different sub-forum with the exact same content.
(c) do both (a) and (b).

Dando
17 Jun 2006, 11:10
:p I see...

Sounds like you been through all this hehe

Chadley
23 Jun 2006, 08:46
Well guys, I'm not too lazy. So I must surely be too stupid to figure this out. I just purchased and downloaded the game, but have the black screen problem. I'm assuming I downloaded the Trymedia version (seeing as how that's the only way you can download it online according to Team 17). And according to Team 17, you do not need to install any updates. Well, not believing that I did install the update after the game wouldn't work. Still to no avail I am seaking your surperior minds.

WHAT DO I DO TO FIX THIS?!?!??? I'VE HAD A BAD DAY WITH COMPUTERS AND MY MIND HAS TURNED TO MUSH!

bonz
23 Jun 2006, 12:34
Well guys, I'm not too lazy. So I must surely be too stupid to figure this out. I just purchased and downloaded the game, but have the black screen problem. I'm assuming I downloaded the Trymedia version (seeing as how that's the only way you can download it online according to Team 17). And according to Team 17, you do not need to install any updates. Well, not believing that I did install the update after the game wouldn't work. Still to no avail I am seaking your surperior minds.

WHAT DO I DO TO FIX THIS?!?!??? I'VE HAD A BAD DAY WITH COMPUTERS AND MY MIND HAS TURNED TO MUSH!
The updates do NOT work with the Trymedia version.
Try to get your money back from Trymedia and buy a retail, CD version.
That'll be even cheaper including shipping to anywhere on the globe than the Trymedia version.

Chadley
23 Jun 2006, 17:28
The updates do NOT work with the Trymedia version.
Try to get your money back from Trymedia and buy a retail, CD version.
That'll be even cheaper including shipping to anywhere on the globe than the Trymedia version.

I knew it didn't work with that version. After all, it said in big red letters "does not work with Trymedia version." But I thought I'd try it anyways.

Are you serious I should try to ge my money back??? Isn't there any way to get it to work??? That's gonna be one heck of a hassle, but I guess I can try to contact them. I looked birefly for their contact info, but did not find any. I'll go look again.

Muzer
23 Jun 2006, 17:47
I knew it didn't work with that version. After all, it said in big red letters "does not work with Trymedia version." But I thought I'd try it anyways.

Are you serious I should try to ge my money back??? Isn't there any way to get it to work??? That's gonna be one heck of a hassle, but I guess I can try to contact them. I looked birefly for their contact info, but did not find any. I'll go look again.
Mmm. It's overpriced. You can get it for a fiver here in the UK

Dando
23 Jun 2006, 17:56
But I thought I'd try it anyways.

Why try that when it says not to, as you say, in big red letters?

This is a very illogical thing to try. I just don't understand it...

Chadley
23 Jun 2006, 18:34
Mmm. It's overpriced. You can get it for a fiver here in the UK
I'm in the US, so it's a bit more expensive due to the exchange rate I think.

Chadley
23 Jun 2006, 18:36
Why try that when it says not to, as you say, in big red letters?

This is a very illogical thing to try. I just don't understand it...
Yeah, well, it was 0120hrs and I was tired, so I probably wasn't thinking strait.

BUT!!!! I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. For some reason it now works. But the screen is all screwed up. It's like the resolution is not right. Hard to explain. Umm....int the multiplayer screen, you barely see the box that says "play game." And when you click on the options button in the main screen, it shuts itself down. I think I'll try to install it one more time, then it's refund time, and I'll just try to get a CD.

Dando
23 Jun 2006, 18:53
It is not going to work right with trymedia. Nothing you can do will make it work right with trymedia. Don't try to make it work with trymedia. It isn't worth trying to make it try working with trymedia.

Even if you get some things working , you will find alot more doesn't. It will not work, no update /patch has been made yet to make the trymedia version work.

Get the CD. Do not waste your time trying to make trymedia work;)

Also it is the same price anywhere really if you get it off ebay (apart from delivery cost)? Or am I missing something here?

Chadley
23 Jun 2006, 21:34
It is not going to work right with trymedia. Nothing you can do will make it work right with trymedia. Don't try to make it work with trymedia. It isn't worth trying to make it try working with trymedia.

Even if you get some things working , you will find alot more doesn't. It will not work, no update /patch has been made yet to make the trymedia version work.

Get the CD. Do not waste your time trying to make trymedia work;)

Also it is the same price anywhere really if you get it off ebay (apart from delivery cost)? Or am I missing something here?

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....Well, I reinstalled it one final time just now. And the game works, but things are still screwed up. When I click on the options box, everything shuts down. But I can play the game.....:mad: :rolleyes: :confused:
Oh, and everything is not centered in the screen. Almost like the resolutin is screwed up. Instead everything is moved right and down, so many of the boxes (ie..start game and cancel, and end) don't show up at all....

Oh well....I'm gonna try to get my money back. And I don't think I'll try to locate a CD version, too much work. I had enough fun with it years ago.

Dando
23 Jun 2006, 21:41
It is not too much work. Ebay is a simple search away...and theres gotta be more places. You are a difficult person:cool:

Chadley
23 Jun 2006, 23:10
It is not too much work. Ebay is a simple search away...and theres gotta be more places. You are a difficult person:cool:
You're right, it's not too much work. But if I order from anywhere and have it sent to my house my dad will go estatic! He hates me buying any kind of computer games. I have to do most stuff behind his back (WAY too controlling).

And yeah, I can sometimes be a difficult person. :p
But mostly I'm just easy goin. :)

[UFP]Ghost
23 Jun 2006, 23:30
lol exactly my problem. i can't order anything cause of my dad and i'm generaly easy going. Maybe ur my twin brother somehow :O

bonz
25 Jun 2006, 20:38
The reason why it will never work is, that Trymedia encode all the game files & patches they release. (To make all that trial stuff work, etc.)

As I said before, it'll actually be cheaper (incl. shipping) if you order the CD version of the game directly from the official T17 store (https://secure.team17.com), than what you have payed for the out-of date Trymedia version.

Lex
26 Jun 2006, 19:13
But the screen is all screwed up. It's like the resolution is not right. Hard to explain. Umm....int the multiplayer screen, you barely see the box that says "play game."http://www.nanacide.com/wahelp/faq.php#r5

R5. Why can't I see the bottom or right side of the screen in the front end?
Your font sizes are incorrect. Find your computer's display properties panel and set font sizes to "Normal" (96dpi)