PDA

View Full Version : trying to find pro roper games WA or WWP?

jCsickZ
14 Jun 2006, 10:57
are more people playing proper on WA or WWP? I haven't played in years

Run
14 Jun 2006, 11:26
There are on WA, though not as many as there used to be.

bonz
14 Jun 2006, 11:31
"Walk For Weapons" is the latest craze.
All the cool people play it.

redwraith
14 Jun 2006, 12:28
"Walk For Weapons" is the latest craze.
All the cool people play it.

This scheme is so boring. I can't understand why so many people play it.

Run
14 Jun 2006, 14:52
Because 'boring' is subjective

GoDxWyvern
14 Jun 2006, 17:33
Maybe because it's definitely the scheme in which crazy stuff happens most frequently. ;>

jCsickZ
14 Jun 2006, 20:04
doesn't sound very exciting. It's pro roper or nothing for me.

Etho
14 Jun 2006, 20:23
You fall under the genre known as the "roping noobie".

It's good to diversify your playing.

bonz
14 Jun 2006, 22:35
doesn't sound very exciting. It's pro roper or nothing for me.
Walk For Weapons is, after the Team17 scheme, a game mode that's true to the original, oldschool spirit of worms.

jCsickZ
15 Jun 2006, 02:18
Walk For Weapons is, after the Team17 scheme, a game mode that's true to the original, oldschool spirit of worms.

what about those of us who only like to play worms for the roping aspect? I may be a "roper noobie", but regular worms multiplayer is pretty boring. Walking for weapons doesn't sound very intense, or skill based. If I wanted to play a strategy game, I'd bust out an RTS.

bonz
15 Jun 2006, 03:18
what about those of us who only like to play worms for the roping aspect?
Yeah, you're roper noobies.
I may be a "roper noobie"
I can't remember that I called you that.
but regular worms multiplayer is pretty boring. Walking for weapons doesn't sound very intense, or skill based.
Worms isn't about skill. Worms is about:the best elements from the very best games ever created. It requires great thought, strategy and elements of sheer outregeous fortune.
If I wanted to play a strategy game, I'd bust out an RTS.
If I wanted to play with ropes, I'd buy me a skipping rope. These do require some skill too.

------------------------------------------------------------
I think you caught the sarcasm in this post.

jCsickZ
15 Jun 2006, 06:36
Yeah, you're roper noobies.

I can't remember that I called you that.

Worms isn't about skill. Worms is about:

If I wanted to play with ropes, I'd buy me a skipping rope. These do require some skill too.

wow, I can't believe it took you an hour to come up with those snappy comebacks

GoDxWyvern
15 Jun 2006, 08:27
Then it took you three hours and eighteen minutes to come up with yours?

It's alright for people if they like to limit themselves to certain game types, I on my behalf am not criticizing that, but on the other hand it's quite close-minded of you to say something is boring, if obviously hundreds of people disagree. You're entitled to your opinion, yet it's pretty daft to treat it as a fact.

Run
15 Jun 2006, 09:19
Walking for weapons doesn't sound very intense, or skill based.

No it's strategy-based, which beats skill-based games any day.

Lex
15 Jun 2006, 09:52
I like both skill- and strategy-based games pretty much equally. I especially like those that combine the two, like mission records. I guess I am addicted to getting them. :D

jCsickZ
15 Jun 2006, 11:33
yes, I understand that many people like to play normal strategy-based worms gametypes... and was into it too... until I played a game of pro roper and saw how much precise timing and hand-eye coordination was needed. Any noob can come in and *** people at normal worm gametypes. Have you ever seen a noob come into a game of pro roper and show anyone up? It doesn't happen.

It's similar to the difference between MMORPG's and FPS games. They both require time to become "good", but the FPS gamer will actually have improved hand-eye coordination where the RPG player will only have a character with a higher level.

sorry, but I have no interest in a slow-pased game of worms. I would rather have improved timing and hand-eye skills than have a better understanding of strategy.

well, that's my opinion. if you don't like it, you can just GFY.

jay see six

GoDxWyvern
15 Jun 2006, 15:10
It's funny how you either did not read what I wrote or did not get my simple point. :D

I'm perfectly fine with your last posting, and of course respect your opinion. I was not fine with the postings before it, though.

jCsickZ
15 Jun 2006, 19:17
It's funny how you either did not read what I wrote or did not get my simple point. :D

I'm perfectly fine with your last posting, and of course respect your opinion. I was not fine with the postings before it, though.

Oh, I got your point. You called me close-minded (its actually "closed-minded") for not liking something that hundreds of other people like.... but I would have to disagree. To be closed-minded is to shun something without even trying it, or barely trying it. I am far from closed-minded, buddy.

GoDxWyvern
15 Jun 2006, 19:52
Nope, that was definitely not my point. It is that you didn't draw a line between your opinions and facts, by saying:
regular worms multiplayer is pretty boring
And that's why I called you closed-minded (thanks for correcting me, English is not my first language), not because I didn't accept your opinion, which I certainly do.

Etho
15 Jun 2006, 20:43
Any noob can come in and *** people at normal worm gametypes.

No. If you are truely good at elite, t17, walk for weapons, etc.; a noob will not be able to beat you.

Even in a scheme like intermediate, if you are good at it no noobie will mop the floor with you. Don't believe me? There is a guy named bytor on wwp who has played nothing but intermediate for the last like 5 years. He knows nothing about the games outside of "normal". He always plays noobs (1v1), and he always wins.

KRD
15 Jun 2006, 21:13
Although on the other hand, Etho, people like Bytor are just as narrow-minded.

A modern Wormer should know better than to stick to one type of schemes; it's been proven time and time again that arcade-type roping [Roper, RR, Warmer], heavy-duty strategic thinking [Elite, Team17] and godlike aiming [BnG, Fort] can be equally fun, even to the same person!

And that's just the non-obscure schemes, there's also plenty in-between ones that combine the skills needed in the above 7 and perhaps even add a couple more.

In related news, I don't mind a good Warmer if you happen to run into me on WormNet. As hard as roping on this laptop may be. The nickname's "NogardDerNaerok".

Run
15 Jun 2006, 22:09
I tried proper on a number of occasions and thought it was shít.

I used to play the shopper scheme a lot but now I think it's shít.

Nuke
15 Jun 2006, 22:36
are more people playing proper on WA or WWP? I haven't played in years
Im pretty sure i saw more roper games on WA. Its generally a more active community. However, if you have Worms2, its pretty much all roping there. Still obsessive over Cases Ladder :). Some things never change :D

Plutonic
16 Jun 2006, 16:52
During the ranks I played nothing but strategy schemes, when the ranks died I played nothing but pro roper, towards the release of WWP I was playing nothing but BnG and with WWP out I played nothing but Fort, now I pretty much play what ever people are hosting, so mostly Shopper.

However I think its safe to say that I have played and enjoyed for long periods of time every main scheme. I even went thorugh a RR and BR phase at some point. However, the only scheme after all this that I cant stand to play is proper. Not because I get owned now, and not because I dont like the speed based, skill based schemes. But mostly because the scheme has been boilded down contantly over the years to where it is now, and it just seems incredibly repetative. The health crates pretty much ensure than an evenly matched game lasts forever, and I find it to be an incredibly chlostophobic game.
BnG can also last for ages but is eventually limited by the amount of land left, and the game will shange as it progresses.
The strategy based games are ALWAYS different, a change in map, a different crate drop. They are always different, and thats what makes them fun. And if learning to hit every time witha bazooka from anywhere on the map isn't 'skill' I'm not sure what is.

[UFP]Ghost
16 Jun 2006, 18:16
And if learning to hit every time witha bazooka from anywhere on the map isn't 'skill' I'm not sure what is.

skillz are being able to do a roperace in record time with your pinky toes.

Plutonic
16 Jun 2006, 18:34
was there realy any reason for a 'z' then?

[UFP]Ghost
16 Jun 2006, 18:48
i like the letter z!

Run
16 Jun 2006, 22:09
Well the letter z secretly told me that you really get on his tits. But he's too polite to do anything about it.

jCsickZ
17 Jun 2006, 00:29
Im pretty sure i saw more roper games on WA. Its generally a more active community. However, if you have Worms2, its pretty much all roping there. Still obsessive over Cases Ladder :). Some things never change :D

wow, someone here with some actual information. Thank you. See you all never! (I won't be back to read all your "good riddance" replies, so go to the worms 2 forum to make sure I read them)

Lex
17 Jun 2006, 10:27
jCsickZ, if you do happen to read this, you might want to know that there are still more ropers and much better gameplay on WA. W2 is extremely desolate.

Dando
17 Jun 2006, 11:09
just to say, I personally hate ropers. You can have skill and stratedgy games (and loads more fun games) involved without ropers.

All I hear is "wanna roppa, roper, ropper" gets annoying...

I enjoy, Grenade battles, shotgun, supersheep and longbow games.

Ropers are highly overrated in my opinion, and i find extremely boring.

;) just my thoughts, please don't take them to heart roper fanatics

Lex
17 Jun 2006, 13:35
roppaWoah. Talk about word butchering. Sheesh!