PDA

View Full Version : Worm Olympics #3!

DarkOne
24 Apr 2006, 00:55
Since many have wanted more olympics to come, the third olympics won't be a whole year away :)
worm olympics #3 will be hosted all throughout july and august
The site (http://wormolympics.com) will be updated soon and you are able to apply for tourneys you want to host on the site
you can pick any scheme you'd like to host and if you want to use it, the site has a page for making the pairings

here's the site of the previous worm olympics, which will give you a general idea of what the worm olympics exactly are: http://www.wormolympics.com/2005/

We want to have an example replay on the separate tournament pages for each scheme (which would mainly help in explaining the less known schemes that will be hosted) so if you are going to host a tourney in the olympics, please send an example replay where the rules are explained in the chatbox in a few lines. The replay doesn't have to be very long :)
For each tourney hosted, the top 3 get medals, as was the case in the previous editions
This means that if there are 4 players in the semi finals, the losers of that round will play a game for the bronze medal
In case of 3 people in the semis, the mod can pick to either give a free round to one player or have either a game with 3 ppl (with ffa or ktl, to the mod's choice) or have all 3 players play one another once; the one that wins against both his opponents obviously wins gold, while the player that wins one gets silver. if it's 1-1-1, you could (for example) look at the amount of hp left for the winners each round
There can be only 1 player without opponent per round; if 20 people join, you're not supposed to give 12 freebies so you'd have 16 players left next round

As with the previous olympics, replays should be sent to replays@wormolympics.be
There's one change with regards to the previous olympics: not sending in replays will cost you medals!
if we're missing more than 5 replays of any player, we will take away one medal for each replay, starting with gold
so if for example one player hasn't sent in 7 replays, he/she will lose 2 medals
should this person send in his/her replays just a few days later, he/she will get back the medals :)
(sorry for this, but it doesn't affect people that send in their replays, only people that refuse to)

I hope to see lots of people there!
and there's no crime in spreading the news a bit beyond the T17 forums :)

DarkOne
9 Jun 2006, 23:14
*bump*
my sig has updated info!
(can this thread maybe become a sticky? since I'm guessing there won't be enough response here to keep this thread visible for people that don't come here very often)

Evil Bunny
10 Jun 2006, 15:23
wow, this site sure got annoying. No offence but it just lost all it's appeal.

Sounds wicked, another W:O. But don't you think yer overdoing it a little? By far the majority of wormers is on the north part of this planet. Wnet is alot emptyer because of summer vacations.

Next to that... why 2 months? First 2 weeks, then a month, now 2? Ok i can see why, if people are on vacation they'll have planty of time b4 or when they get back but what's next, 3 months next winter? That would make half the year W:O periode. The thing i love about it is that it's one special series of tournies each year.

Also i noticed 8 tourneys planned with just 4 gametypes. Like the 2nd one multiple tourneys of the same sceme. I think it would be more fun of the whole thing had a focus on the alternative scemes which aren't as popular rather then just be playin the things we always play.

And last; I can't use snoop for some reason, dunno why, it just wont work. Anyway hosting a tourney seems impossible without it, so any ideas? I've got a tourney in mind; commet dodge (my badass improvement of what was hosted last winter)

edit:

Hmm, how did i miss this post anyway. Maybe mods should clean the forum of all the garbidge on the first page. Posts get lost in here.

DarkOne
10 Jun 2006, 17:40
wow, this site sure got annoying. No offence but it just lost all it's appeal.

Sorry to hear that. It's just a calendar right now, and was intended to show as much information as possible using minimal resources

Sounds wicked, another W:O. But don't you think yer overdoing it a little? By far the majority of wormers is on the north part of this planet. Wnet is alot emptyer because of summer vacations.

Which is why we decided to use 2 months instead of one

Next to that... why 2 months? First 2 weeks, then a month, now 2? Ok i can see why, if people are on vacation they'll have planty of time b4 or when they get back but what's next, 3 months next winter? That would make half the year W:O periode. The thing i love about it is that it's one special series of tournies each year.

You're making it sound like we made it more, just so that we have more. The reason why it's 2 months now are kind of stated above. 2 weeks is just too short to accomodate all the tourneys everybody wanted to host. the second one of a month was ideal, as it provided enough space for the tourneys. As you so already put: this way people can play and still take vacation :)

Also i noticed 8 tourneys planned with just 4 gametypes. Like the 2nd one multiple tourneys of the same sceme. I think it would be more fun of the whole thing had a focus on the alternative scemes which aren't as popular rather then just be playin the things we always play.

There are mouse over texts over the tourneys already in the calendar (showing the people hosting, as well as some details on the scheme). You'll see that 3 of those 4 schemes have a 1v1 and a 2v2 tournament. The RR has one normal tournament and one LG tournament.
All schemes and this includes alternative schemes, so all people willing to host moleshoppers, boomraces, molevaults, worms golf etcetera etcetera are very welcome to register a tournament. The schemes displayed there are just the ones FFie and I are hosting (we shall be adding at least two more tournaments ourselves later on).

And last; I can't use snoop for some reason, dunno why, it just wont work. Anyway hosting a tourney seems impossible without it, so any ideas? I've got a tourney in mind; commet dodge (my badass improvement of what was hosted last winter)

One of the tourneys we're going to host is CDRW :) but you're very welcome to add your own badass improvement!
As for snooper, it hasn't worked for more than a year at my place. I hosted all my RRkit tourneys without the use of snooper and except from the occasional whiner and the occasional mistake, everybody was pleased with how things went.

Hmm, how did i miss this post anyway. Maybe mods should clean the forum of all the garbidge on the first page. Posts get lost in here.
I already asked this thread to be stickied, but I'm not sure they think it's worth being stickied, not really getting any response here other than your post.

Plasma
10 Jun 2006, 17:56
Here's a start:
Make the information on the first post clearer. I don't actually understand what happens here, you just seemed to tell the entrants to make replays of tournaments.

DarkOne
10 Jun 2006, 18:37
http://www.wormolympics.com/2005/ <-- site of the previous olympics

I thought the name worm olympics would've given a general idea of what's going on, but here we go then! It's basically just a collection of tournaments being hosted in a short amount of time (as is the case in the regular olympics). The tournaments will be hosted using various schemes (as is the case in regular olympics) and winners will receive a gold medal (not actual gold and such, but check the old site), runners up get silver and #3 gets bronze (as is the case in the regular olympics)
There's a standing page too, counting up all the medals won by people and their countries (the last of which is also the case in regular olympics) as well as clan standings.

If you have any further questions I'll be happy to answer them

bonz
10 Jun 2006, 18:56
Here's a start:
Make the information on the first post clearer. I don't actually understand what happens here, you just seemed to tell the entrants to make replays of tournaments.
You made yourself a fool now. :)

DarkOne
10 Jun 2006, 19:14
I actually did edit the first post after he posted, bonzie
I didn't add much though, just a link to the old site

bonz
10 Jun 2006, 19:47
I actually did edit the first post after he posted, bonzie
I didn't add much though, just a link to the old site
Still, your argument stands.
The meaning of the wordss "worm" and "olympics" together is very obvious.

DarkOne
10 Jun 2006, 21:04
I surrender to your unbreakable logic in this matter! :)

Plasma
10 Jun 2006, 21:36
The meaning of the wordss "worm" and "olympics" together is very obvious.
The words(s?) "worm" and "olympics" do not contain the words "different" and "schemes"

DarkOne
10 Jun 2006, 22:07
well, what in your opinion could it have been other than lots of tourneys with different schemes? :)

Did I explain enough about it for you btw?

Plasma
10 Jun 2006, 22:12
well, what in your opinion could it have been other than lots of tourneys with different schemes? :)
It's the best title to have for it, IMO: I'm just pointing out to Bonz that it doesn't explain what it's about.

Did I explain enough about it for you btw?
Ya. I was confused about that the tournaments had to have different schemes.
I might join in sometime after my exams.

DarkOne
15 Jun 2006, 11:10
The site is almost completely done now
results page and details of the schemes still have to be made, but you can apply for one of your own tourneys through the site

mods: can this thread be stickied? If not, can you please tell me you did read it and just decided it's not worth stickying?

Evil Bunny
17 Jun 2006, 20:29
Aahhh, i like this design better d1 :)

DarkOne
18 Jun 2006, 10:54
FFie's the one that made the site :) The first version was just so that mods could register their tourneys while the rest was still being made.
Glad you like it :)

[UFP]Ghost
18 Jun 2006, 14:14
2 things please,

1. do we just show up for these or do we register?
2. What's ghost nocking? if i'm gonna go into this i'd like to know what i'm playing, on the first 1 :)

evilworm2
18 Jun 2006, 16:17
Ghost']2. What's ghost nocking?

To smack you in the face until you cry. ;)

DarkOne
19 Jun 2006, 11:51
Ghost']2 things please,

1. do we just show up for these or do we register?
2. What's ghost nocking? if i'm gonna go into this i'd like to know what i'm playing, on the first 1 :)

1. Depends. If you want to moderate a tournament, you will have to register it, so we can add it to the calendar.
If you want to participate in the tournaments as a player, you just show up at the time the tourney is hosted and send a PM to the moderator of that tourney. note that moderators are of course allowed to play in their own tourneys :)

2. Ghost knocking has been hosted during the previous olympics as well: http://www.wormolympics.com/2005/results/ . You can find Ghost knocking here: http://www.wormolympics.com/2005/results/11 .
Click on one of the "R"s to watch the replay of that round, so you have a general view of all those schemes hosted back then. The schemes pages themselves will be up soon enough and will contain more detailed scheme info.

(if you're too lazy to click: 2 teams with 4 worms. You have to use invisibility and are not allowed to knock the first 3 turns. only weapons are rope and chute, knock your opponent's worms in the drink to win)

evilworm2
19 Jun 2006, 23:54
You can find Ghost knocking here: http://www.wormolympics.com/2005/results/11 .
Click on one of the "R"s to watch the replay of that round, so you have a general view of all those schemes hosted back then.

I get errors if i try to unzip the replays.

[UFP]Ghost
20 Jun 2006, 02:51
??????????

DarkOne
20 Jun 2006, 05:35
I get errors if i try to unzip the replays.

then perhaps you should stop trying to unzip WAgame-files :p

evilworm2
20 Jun 2006, 05:59
then perhaps you should stop trying to unzip WAgame-files :p

lol nice joke.

DarkOne
20 Jun 2006, 19:17
this basically means that the files those R's link to are .WAgame files.
In other words, if you have W:A with all the updates, you can watch the replays.

[UFP]Ghost
20 Jun 2006, 19:35
my firefox also thoughtthat, but wheni lcick open it's stilla w.a. game. try download the open :D

DarkOne
24 Jun 2006, 23:11
it seems there was a problem with registering a tourney :o it's fixed now though
If you submitted a tourney, but it's not on the calendar, please register it again
sorry for the inconvenience

DarkOne
30 Jun 2006, 22:02
starts this weekend!
site is updated except for results pages!