PDA

View Full Version : The Bow & Arrow [BnA] Thread

KRD
23 Mar 2006, 12:39
Since we have a piegons thread, I might aswell make a BnA one. Don't crucify me if there already was one on these forums, I couldn't find it by means of Search.

Obscure schemes haven't been too popular on WormNet lately, the serious league-type mentality seems to have finally prevailed. Still, some people find time to play schemes where rather than cruel effectiveness, it's the artistic inspiration that makes you look good. BnA is a classic example. I won't get into explaining the scheme here, I'm sure picking the idea up from the replay won't be too difficult.

Chose this replay first and foremost because of the first shot in the game; its random elegance makes schemes like this so much fun. But the rest of the game was just as cool and I can only wish more people recognised the beauty of BnA. Hence this thread.

To sum it up, post your BnA replays!

evilworm2
23 Mar 2006, 14:44
Since we have a piegons thread, I might aswell make a BnA one. Don't crucify me if there already was one on these forums, I couldn't find it by means of Search.

Obscure schemes haven't been too popular on WormNet lately, the serious league-type mentality seems to have finally prevailed. Still, some people find time to play schemes where rather than cruel effectiveness, it's the artistic inspiration that makes you look good. BnA is a classic example. I won't get into explaining the scheme here, I'm sure picking the idea up from the replay won't be too difficult.

Chose this replay first and foremost because of the first shot in the game; its random elegance makes schemes like this so much fun. But the rest of the game was just as cool and I can only wish more people recognised the beauty of BnA. Hence this thread.

Looooooooooool. Sooooo nice!

TriMat
23 Mar 2006, 16:37
stuff about beauty and art
*cough* luck *cough* :D

GoDxWyvern
24 Mar 2006, 16:49
Ahahaha, this is great. And I KNOW how well you've been preparing this shot!

My best BnA was on WWP unfortunately, not too long ago. Killed like four of my opponent's worms and one of mine with the first arrow (oh, those sinister health crates) and two more with the second arrow. In my second turn the game was over already, *chuckle*. /me loves BnA.

KRD
24 Mar 2006, 22:59
Haha, nice. Didn't realise BnA has been introduced to WWP at all, hope someday the people only playing WWP come over and merge with the WA'ers [but that's The Wishlist thread material].

Well yeah, those shots are lucky most of the time. But anyone aiming at mines will get them sooner rather than later, so there's no harm done. As for the artistic value and beauty of the form, that's probably pushing it a bit, but there's just something the obscure schemes have that you won't get in a league Roper.

GoDxWyvern
25 Mar 2006, 02:39
Hey, there were even two BnA tourneys on WWP a while ago. In one of em I got totally booted out in the first round, the other one was a win. Heh, as you said, pure luck in most cases.

It's just that stuff needs to be introduced to people to make them like it. In the last few days I've been introduced to two schemes I've never heard of before myself, and I really enjoy them (Capture the Pixel and Walk 4 Weapons). But regarding BnA, yea, most WWP players know it, I suppose.

Edit: Damn I want my clantag out of my forum nick. >=[ Somebody delete the other Wyvern account please, cough.

KRD
25 Mar 2006, 04:23
Yay for winning one of the tourneys. Although I must say I enjoy BnA more when you agree to intentionally do hard and random shots and never do the inch-away kills. Makes for better entertainment.

As for Walk for Weapons, it's an awesme scheme when played on the right map. Here's the only one I've seen so far on which strategy actually means something. Best be ready for one of these the next time we meet online!

Red Girders Map Indeed. (http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/7382/squiffelwalkforweapons11ig.png)

GoDxWyvern
25 Mar 2006, 17:23
Ack, I can't view the picture, I'm getting an error message. But if it's the one with red-painted girders all over it, then it's the one I got.

I'll be prepared, mwaha!

bloopy
25 Mar 2006, 20:50
Here's a replay of a quick unserious game I played with Scribe aka Rhombus. Check out the shot at 2:20! :D

AmpSux
28 Mar 2006, 18:59
Wow :eek: those shots are amazing! My BnA moment was when I slipped off the edge of a dot, set off a mine on my way down which sent me careering into another worm, well ...I thought it was cool. :cool:

kronik
1 Apr 2006, 18:47

'Arr, I remember having some really fun BnA's with diddles and ring way back when, good times.

KRD
2 Apr 2006, 12:46
Mmm. I did actually meet Ring about 2 months ago wandering about. Hope it wasn't the last time.

Poor WWA forums, no new posts for over a month now. I can imagine the abstinence of something as basic as the usual spam threads must be killing them by now.

|:<

kronik
6 Apr 2006, 04:35
Seriously.

Kiros said he'd be done coding the league in like 3 days and it's easily been a month, and poo is preoccupied with problems of his own. He should get one of his admins to handle things for him just to get things running and allow our spam to continue in peace.

Lex
6 Apr 2006, 07:43
Poor WWA forums, no new posts for over a month now. I can imagine the abstinence of something as basic as the usual spam threads must be killing them by now.Yes. As you can see, Kronik is going insane. ;D (I'm just kidding. I understand how you're talking, Kronik.)

kronik
6 Apr 2006, 16:14
Riiiiiiiiiiight............

AmpSux
15 Apr 2006, 23:19
I was playing a BnA and inspired by this thread I ended up with this shot... Not quite as spectacular, but still cool :D

It's on the first turn

KRD
15 Apr 2006, 23:24
Nice! Love it how none of your worms got hurt during the turn, heh. Most of the time I end up drowning at least one of mine when doing the random mine shots.

oOoO;

pilau
30 May 2006, 12:55
Could you recommend of a few good specks maps? Or can I make them myself?

KRD
30 May 2006, 15:02
I personally choose the second-to-smallest brush in the map editor, make a ton of specks, raise the water just over the water drop level [used in Ropers] and slap a border around it. The more random the better.

A lot of people seem to prefer pre-made PNG maps, though, and you'll find the most over at www.WMDB.org in the Misc section (http://www.wmdb.org/maps?page=6&type=other).

Edit: Also ckeck out the movies thread I've revived recently, BnA makes an appearance somewhere close to the middle of Wiz's movie. My last post here:

http://forum.team17.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29024

pilau
30 May 2006, 15:15
Heh, I saw that video before you mentioned it in this thread :)
I'll check WMDB.

What is the water drop level used in Ropers?

EDIT: By the way, if there's somebody who can program, you should make a hack that allowed for more then eight mines :P

EDIT 2: Please, what're the BnA rules?

Plutonic
30 May 2006, 19:33
There are no rules in BnA, you just have bows n arrows, and low grav and parachutes, mines on the terrain with no barrels and just play.

pilau
31 May 2006, 00:19
Sweet, thanks a lot.

thetopcybo
5 Jun 2006, 01:14
if u all have noticed(and KRD must have), im trying to revive BnA and its sheer elegance on W:A by hosting it numerous times and having rms numerous times on WormNet.....

Please u ppl also host BnA and the others will start loving it

Plutonic
5 Jun 2006, 01:44
This might be a good time to mention that I'm working on a map generator. One of the schemes that will / is supported is BnA. This will make it a bit more interesting, as im sure im not the only one fed up of playing on the same 3 maps all the time!

shaosam
5 Jun 2006, 05:38
My friends and I play BnA with Invisibility and Prod thrown in for extra fun...using prod while invisible lets you stay invisible for cool stealth kills ^^

Lex
5 Jun 2006, 08:07
Wow! I didn't know that!

KRD
5 Jun 2006, 14:12
Invisibility is already part of the scheme posted in this thread. You only get one per team, though. Think it's enoguh to make it fun yet keep the thing balanced. Wouldn't want people hiding for the first 10 minutes of the game.

As far as prod goes, you should seriously try editing the prod power to something insanely high in SchemeWorks then using it while invisible. Jaws will drop, take my word on it.

Also cheers Cyborg for keeping the scheme active!

Plut, map generator sounds delicious. But I find that for BnA, making a new map before each game isn't too much of an effort. I'll randomly click like mad for a while and unless I'm really tired something good will come out. Keeps it interesting.

CyberShadow
5 Jun 2006, 14:39
This might be a good time to mention that I'm working on a map generator.
What language are you writing it in?

Plutonic
5 Jun 2006, 16:13
C++, so far I have BnA and Forts doing some basic stuff. I will make a thread for it soon enough when I have a beta release ready.

thetopcybo
6 Jun 2006, 06:47
Ya, KRD is right in saying that BnA maps are not tough.....
But making BnA colour maps or cool maps isn't tough itself.......just take some small objects and place them randomly on the screen ;-)

and thnx for cheering me

and won't invisibility+prod take the fun out of the game? as it easy to go anywhere around the map with lowgrav and chute...

and can;t there be a tweak that the invisibility is limited till , say, 3-4 turns?

thetopcybo
6 Jun 2006, 06:48
C++, so far I have BnA and Forts doing some basic stuff. I will make a thread for it soon enough when I have a beta release ready.
good luck and i hope u do it fast :)