PDA

View Full Version : Map Theif 2

Anne
22 Feb 2006, 02:23
For like a year now you've been able to extract maps from saved .wagame files with a simple rightclick. But Lex informs me that people still use maptheif, particularly on WWP. So I was messing around and made one that actually works. So for those of you who are interested, it's attached.

Assuming you have the VB runtimes, just download, extract anywhere, and run. it automatically determines which worms games you have, and what type of map file it's reading (lev, bit, png). Prompts for overwrite. Bug me if there are bugs, I couldn't break it with 5 minutes of testing and that's all i can be bothered doing right now. If you like it distribute it. Peace

Edit: Update to fix spelling and prevent creation of an erroneous .LEV file in WWP, until I can figure out how the heck that format works...

Lex
22 Feb 2006, 02:50
It's great that you're still making new programs, Annelid. You're awesome. :D

Edit: I find it strange that you've decided to still keep using the misspelling of "thief".

Etho
22 Feb 2006, 17:34
Nice program update Anne.

Found 1 bug: The wwp .lev files do not save properly.

Anne
31 Jul 2006, 05:03
I find it strange that you've decided to still keep using the misspelling of "thief".
oh F*CKEQTESHGDFDAW...

I honestly never even checked. I spell thief wrong usually... call it a bad habit I guess. No one has ever told me it was... eep. Well I'm embarassed... :o

Also thanks Etho. I never bothered testing Ingame in WWP with a .LEV. It seems that the WWP LEV format is a little different, and the last 4 bytes contain... some number I am not sure the purpose of at this time. The current.thm file follows the LEV format properly (with 4 unused bytes at the start), but when a map is saved the last 4 bytes hold... a checksum? another seed? using zero as the value for it crashed my WWP. So now I have no freakin idea so I just added a warning that it won't happen. only affects LEV files in WWP.

This discrepancy (sp) has been here all along in saved LEVs not being compatable between the two games and for some reason I never noticed it, I guess. I suspect a WWP LEV will work fine with W:A (W:A will ignore high values for the last double), but not the other way around. hmm.

If you want to have a go at it, go for it. I documented the W:A LEV and W:A/WWP BIT format in detail here: http://wiki.thecybershadow.net/Monochrome_map_%28.bit%2C_.lev%29

Just remember that the current terrain file is stored in /Data/current.thm, and that the first 4 bytes in the file are junk as far as you're concerned... the data after that is the map. or in the case of WWP and LEVs, is almost the map.

Etho
31 Jul 2006, 08:36
Hey anne, good to see you are still kicking around :)

I found something in some old source with the wwp .lev files. After you copy the .lev file from the current.thm file, replace the bytes...

Put #FileX, 21, 4
Put #FileX, 25, 4
Put #FileX, 41, 255
Put #FileX, 42, 255
Put #FileX, 43, 255
Put #FileX, 44, 255

and they should work properly for wwp. (I think)

Lex
31 Jul 2006, 10:09
You know, Etho, since you know exactly how Map Thief (spelling corrected on purpose :p) works now, you could make your own little program with the bug fixed. :) It's not exactly a complex program to write.

Etho
31 Jul 2006, 19:07
I actually made one about 2 - 3 years ago that could capture .bit and .lev files for both wwp and w:a. I just never released it because Anne already had one out. (I have many unreleased programs for worms.)

The new version of CutWorm has a map thief feature built in. You can activate it while on wormnet2 by using the syntax ( [savemap] "mapname" ). Or alternatively, you can do it simply using CutWorm's interface when you are in snoop mode.

I linked a screenshot of what the interface currently looks like. I added a feature yesterday that generates a full color preview (240 x 87) of the last map you played on. Clicking the color image button on the left saves the map as a 256 color .bmp file. Clicking the black & white image button on the right saves the map as a .bit or .lev file, depending on what it is. The text box between the two is for naming the file.

http://etho.wormsrenegade.com/misc/Preview.png

Lex
31 Jul 2006, 22:16
You really need to fix the GUI for CutWorm. There are buttons that are completely unlabelled and there are different scrollbar styles. I remember having a bunch of other beefs with it when I tried using it. It's a great idea for a program, and looks like it would have nice functionality, but it still needs to be fixed to be [more] user-friendly.

Etho
1 Aug 2006, 00:57
I never really considered the nameless buttons thing a problem. There are a few of them, but none of them have vital functions. On the channel list page, there is only one which is used as a refresh button. There are 4 on the main page. (create chat log), (clear messages), and the other two are for switching between the general chat and PM's that you have recieved. Hovering your mouse over any one of them for 1 second tells you exactly what it does with a tooltipbox.

The scroll bars are indeed an issue that I have not yet sorted out. I originally wanted to make graphical scroll bars that matched the rest of the interface. However, I don't know a good way of doing that yet. So as of now there are 2 sets of scroll bars for each function. :confused:

ShOwTiMe
1 Aug 2006, 01:32
Is that a new snooper-like proggy for wwp and wa?
If yes where can I dl it or sign up as tester!

@Annelid:Glad you've been still working on worms stuff!

Etho
1 Aug 2006, 04:29
1. It is a snooper program for wwp, but it also has an option to merge WormNet1 and WormNet2 together.

2. You cannot download it yet. I released a v1.07 but have called a recall on it because of a bug that was crashing people on wormnet. So please do not download it.

3. I'm doing most of the testing myself. Seita has been helping me with the testing thus far. I may need new testers in the future because I don't see Seita as frequently as I used to. However, I need testers that are intelligent, experienced with computers, and that are able to make good suggestions.

4. I will be implementing a new color map format for wwp with CutWorm very shortly. One problem I am facing is I am not knowledgable of how to zip/unzip files with VB6. If anyone can help teach me this, I would greatly appreciate it. I tried making my own compression system before but the file size ended up being almost 2 times bigger than a .zip file. :confused:

Seita
1 Aug 2006, 09:28
I don't see Seita as frequently as I used to.

Blame timezones...

bonz
1 Aug 2006, 13:26
Blame timezones...
Timezones?
Where on earth are you and where's Etho?

Seita
1 Aug 2006, 13:54
I'm in Europe, and he's in north America. I'm usually having to go sleeping when he comes to wn.

evilworm2
1 Aug 2006, 14:20
One problem I am facing is I am not knowledgable of how to zip/unzip files with VB6. If anyone can help teach me this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Maybe does this (http://www.codeguru.com/vb/gen/vb_graphics/fileformats/article.php/c6743) help?
Or this (http://www.example-code.com/vb/zip.asp)?

bonz
1 Aug 2006, 15:39
I'm in Europe, and he's in north America. I'm usually having to go sleeping when he comes to wn.
Nah, all you need to do is shift your sleeping rythm by 6-9 hours.
Into the correct direction, of course, or you'll go to bed with Bloopy. :)

Lex
1 Aug 2006, 16:35
Into the correct direction, of course, or you'll go to bed with Bloopy. :)Ooh. I bet Bloopy would like that. ;D Who wouldn't like Seita to go to bed with them!?

Seita
1 Aug 2006, 16:51
Not sure I could afford to shift my working hours too.

bonz
1 Aug 2006, 20:49
Not sure I could afford to shift my working hours too.
You could give up work of course.
Or sleeping.

Plasma
1 Aug 2006, 23:43
Or sleeping.
No; I dont think this forum needs a second Bonz!:p

Lex
1 Aug 2006, 23:57
Every forum needs multiple Bonzes (or whatever the plural of "Bonz" is)!

evilworm2
2 Aug 2006, 00:23
Every forum needs multiple Bonzes (or whatever the plural of "Bonz" is)!

Hey! I am the second bonz (http://forum.team17.co.uk/showpost.php?p=514787&postcount=11).

Lex
2 Aug 2006, 00:39
Not-surprisingly, that comment was made by Plasma. Do I see an attempt at a running gag here?

Plasma
2 Aug 2006, 00:50
Not-surprisingly, that comment was made by Plasma. Do I see an attempt at a running gag here?
If it's that Evilworm is like a second Bonz, then no.

If it's that Bonz is closer to a machine than a man, then yes.

Lex
2 Aug 2006, 02:04
Yes, I was referring to the latter.

Run
2 Aug 2006, 09:40
No, i'm spartacus!